ADVERTISEMENT

OT Retirement

insert 'eating popcorn' gif
One could actually insert said gif…

200w.gif

I don’t think there is anything in the constitution that says an election can be cancelled … some point to war times but there have been plenty of elections in war times in nation’s history
Maybe the guy is predicting the end of the world.... before this coming election.

I don’t think there is anything in the constitution that says an election can be cancelled … some point to war times but there have been plenty of elections in war times in nation’s history
Tell that to Gemini, who used to post here. She’s been locked up in a shuttered Walmart in Texas for the entirety of Barack Obama’s third and fourth terms.

Lotta shit can happen in 6 months too.
The smart money says there will be an election, of course the smart money deals in most likely to happen, not certainties.
I get it...but there will be an election. Joe is going to win. The numbers from last election will be way down for both guys. And in 28 we will finally get two NEW younger people to vote for...

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
Need $10M in the bank to pay yourself $300k/year in interest and leave a lasting generational legacy via thoughtfully constructed trust
Why would someone have $10M in the bank?

Banks like Ally are offering 5% on money market accounts right now so that would be a guaranteed $500k

But anyone with $10M wouldn’t have their money in a bank and could conservatively make the market average of 7-8% every year. So that’s $750k annually without touching principle.

Anyone that’s setting up their dependents with generational wealth doesn’t have much more than a penny in the bank.

Why would someone have $10M in the bank?

Banks like Ally are offering 5% on money market accounts right now so that would be a guaranteed $500k

But anyone with $10M wouldn’t have their money in a bank and could conservatively make the market average of 7-8% every year. So that’s $750k annually without touching principle.

Anyone that’s setting up their dependents with generational wealth doesn’t have much more than a penny in the bank.

He knows that. It is much quicker to say bank then listing all the other options.

Too many clueless people in here for me to give many reasons. If you don't understand A + B, you can't understand C.
Normalcy bias reigns.
Yep I’m clueless. Normalcy at its best and I’m a fool for …. thinking there will be a presidential election in the US this year as there has been every four years of my entire life????

I would be willing to bet all your gold bars to my bank money that we will have a presidential election.

Last edited:
Yep I’m clueless. Normalcy at its best and I’m a fool for …. thinking there will be a presidential election in the US this year as there has been every four years of my entire life????

I would be willing to bet all your gold bars to my bank money that we will have a presidential election.
RB, generally you and I get along well, and I didn't say you were clueless, you did. I choose not to explain to you or anyone else how I arrive at decisions based on the p*litic*l climate. Ok? But, I will give you a couple reasons why nothing is guaranteed anymore.

As far as the wager, that's a stupid bet on your part because you didn't get a presumably large bank account by doing stupid things. You need your money more than I do.

I didn't accrue gold bars since 1984 by being stupid either. I'm a gambling man, but I'm not a stupid gambler.

If Zelensky can cancel their el*cti*ns, so can we. 25 years ago I used to say, "they can't do that, its unC*nstitution*l." Now, that incredible document doesn't hold water. Its fluid depending upon whatever an adm*nistrat*on says it is.

I don't know why people get their panties in a bunch because a contrarian view disrupts their little world.

Its this type of activity that lead to a thread being eliminated and there is too much good content on this thread for me to be the cause of this topic disappearing. If there was no risk of having this thread, which a LOT of posters contributed to, wasn't subject to delection, I would be happy to give you the reasons why people, a lot more informed and p*litic**ly involved than you or me, are saying its less than 50-50 there will be no election.

Wait until November and then you can say, I told you so, or I can say the same. Till that time, we need to drop it.

It could happen if Congress approves to postpone election due to wartimes.
What would happen if, by chance, Joe would pass the Monday before the Tuesday el*cti*n? You think C*ongress is capable of elevating the VP and internally voting on someone as the VP nominee in a matter of 24 hours? You think they'd elevate the M*jority leader in the se*ate, or the sp*aker, or the M*jority/M*nority Wh*p to move up? If that unlikely, but statistically possible scenario occurred, does anyone really think the current VP would have national support? There are unknown things that can cause this country to go into a convulsion.

There's hardly any chance Joe is gonna be the n*minee. If he is, he is currently at 8%.
With all due respect this topic needs to end.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
What would happen if, by chance, Joe would pass the Monday before the Tuesday el*cti*n? You think C*ongress is capable of elevating the VP and internally voting on someone as the VP nominee in a matter of 24 hours? You think they'd elevate the M*jority leader in the se*ate, or the sp*aker, or the M*jority/M*nority Wh*p to move up? If that unlikely, but statistically possible scenario occurred, does anyone really think the current VP would have national support? There are unknown things that can cause this country to go into a convulsion.

There's hardly any chance Joe is gonna be the n*minee. If he is, he is currently at 8%.
It doesn't need to end, this is not a political debate or even politics. It is a simple discussion about how/what can happen.

Reactions: Huskers123456
He knows that. It is much quicker to say bank then listing all the other options.
It’s just as quick and more accurate to say “portfolio” than “bank”. Especially when discussing a retirement thread.

Despite the vernacular, the numbers don’t even make sense. No one is putting $10M in anything that would offer sub-inflationary rate. $300k return is 3%. That’s below the current 3.5% inflation rate.

wherever that money was theoretically stuck was one step above a mattress.

• Haha
Reactions: OzzyLvr and BTF69
It’s just as quick and more accurate to say “portfolio” than “bank”. Especially when discussing a retirement thread.

Despite the vernacular, the numbers don’t even make sense. No one is putting $10M in anything that would offer sub-inflationary rate. $300k return is 3%. That’s below the current 3.5% inflation rate.

If you’re very risk averse you may have your cash in safe things like treasury bonds that could be yielding 3% in the future. Not everyone can stomach putting their entire retirement fund in the S&P

I personally am a big savings account guy. I think it is something that my parents instilled in me. They are immigrants and I think that is what they always thought was best.

I have a Roth and 401k and a 403b. But there has always been something about my savings account. It has always been my favorite.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
RB, generally you and I get along well, and I didn't say you were clueless, you did. I choose not to explain to you or anyone else how I arrive at decisions based on the p*litic*l climate. Ok? But, I will give you a couple reasons why nothing is guaranteed anymore.

As far as the wager, that's a stupid bet on your part because you didn't get a presumably large bank account by doing stupid things. You need your money more than I do.

I didn't accrue gold bars since 1984 by being stupid either. I'm a gambling man, but I'm not a stupid gambler.

If Zelensky can cancel their el*cti*ns, so can we. 25 years ago I used to say, "they can't do that, its unC*nstitution*l." Now, that incredible document doesn't hold water. Its fluid depending upon whatever an adm*nistrat*on says it is.

I don't know why people get their panties in a bunch because a contrarian view disrupts their little world.

Its this type of activity that lead to a thread being eliminated and there is too much good content on this thread for me to be the cause of this topic disappearing. If there was no risk of having this thread, which a LOT of posters contributed to, wasn't subject to delection, I would be happy to give you the reasons why people, a lot more informed and p*litic**ly involved than you or me, are saying its less than 50-50 there will be no election.

Wait until November and then you can say, I told you so, or I can say the same. Till that time, we need to drop it.
Easy123 we get along. Thanks for answering. I’ve not read this as a risk in my news outlet and appreciate you sharing some of the reasons.

A few decades of that and it’s pretty easy to see why rural America is a shell of itself. I suppose a good backup option is to sell cheaper to a kid at ISU that will farm the land than some corporation, but like you said that’s probably a level of charitable that even most rural residents won’t take to keep the lifestyle going.
It happens, selling cheaper. I've seen local land barons refuse to bid at an auction because a long time renter is bidding. And there's been relatives sold land at fair cost to cousins, etc. And that's old time Nebraska values for you, but in today's world, as we see in the decisions of politicians and college athletics, the more money the better.

It’s tough to blame anyone in a market transaction. If I want your farm and I have the ability to give you ten million for it (and perhaps I have to to beat the other bidders), I’m not generally concerned with the fact that puts the new price per acre far above what a young farmer could pay.
And it puts the price per acre too high to really have a decent ROI. The math just doesn't work. And that is what is behind Pillen's property tax initiative. For decades, farmers & ranchers have suffered from high property taxes. But now corporations are involved. Corporations pay taxes at a level that it's just good business to buy a politician and change the law or change the tax code.

Reactions: countrybob
And it puts the price per acre too high to really have a decent ROI. The math just doesn't work. And that is what is behind Pillen's property tax initiative. For decades, farmers & ranchers have suffered from high property taxes. But now corporations are involved. Corporations pay taxes at a level that it's just good business to buy a politician and change the law or change the tax code.
Yeah, but could you imagine a world where farmers and ranchers DID NOT have stuff to complain about?!?!?! What would they talk about all day???

I kid, I kid.

A lot of people look at Trump as this big hard right super conservative guy but he’s actually not. He’s done more to move the GOP leftward than any politician on either side of the aisle in basically a century.
When a guy calls himself a "Tariff man", it's hard to argue with any of that.

While I'm a conservative, I like social security. As a nation, it just makes sense to have some sort of safety net for the millions out there who have no common sense when it comes to managing their money and saving for the future.

It happens, selling cheaper. I've seen local land barons refuse to bid at an auction because a long time renter is bidding. And there's been relatives sold land at fair cost to cousins, etc. And that's old time Nebraska values for you, but in today's world, as we see in the decisions of politicians and college athletics, the more money the better.
Not exactly the same but my dad rents his land for way below market rates to a relative. Those types of things will be dwindling though. Very unlikely someone who didn't grow up on a farm would understand or care about cutting a break to keep the legacy alive for 1 more generation, and more and more inheritors are absentee city folk.

Not exactly the same but my dad rents his land for way below market rates to a relative. Those types of things will be dwindling though. Very unlikely someone who didn't grow up on a farm would understand or care about cutting a break to keep the legacy alive for 1 more generation, and more and more inheritors are absentee city folk.
Isn't there more money in just renting/leasing out your land instead of farming it yourself?

Reactions: countrybob
Very commendable of your Dad. I think we also see that a lot with share rent. But in other cases when it comes to cash rent, I don't know how some of these guys can make money with the prices they are paying for cash rent. I feel bad for the young guys who are forced to pay above fair rent value just to get enough acres.

Isn't there more money in just renting/leasing out your land instead of farming it yourself?
Long-term, absolutely. But most people that inherit land want to buy a cabin in MN or a 2nd home in Mesa and need the money for that.

I know smart people that say it's 50/50 the Huskers win the natty this fall. Don't ask to wager on this though, it wouldn't be fair. We definitely shouldn't discuss it until after the season, when you guys can tell me I was wrong. I refuse to list all the reasons, and trust me, these people know more about CFB than anyone on this board.

• Haha
Reactions: BTF69 and 90sman
I personally am a big savings account guy. I think it is something that my parents instilled in me. They are immigrants and I think that is what they always thought was best.

I have a Roth and 401k and a 403b. But there has always been something about my savings account. It has always been my favorite.
I hear you and understand the security and simplicity of it, but banks love folks like you.... give us your money, we will hold it and give you a little something, then we will loan it to someone else for a higher interest rate and make a bunch of money from your money as a pass through.

Don't get me wrong, there is a portion of your portfolio that you might want immediately liquid, but with high interest money market accounts acting as savings accounts and getting 10x what your standard savings acccount gets, you re leaving money on the table.

A wise man once advised me, '... I worked really hard for my money and I want it to work just as hard for me...'

I was slow to catch on, but there is a point where your portfolio tips and you wake up each day/week/month and say, '....wow, my money made me a lot of money...'

I hear you and understand the security and simplicity of it, but banks love folks like you.... give us your money, we will hold it and give you a little something, then we will loan it to someone else for a higher interest rate and make a bunch of money from your money as a pass through.

Don't get me wrong, there is a portion of your portfolio that you might want immediately liquid, but with high interest money market accounts acting as savings accounts and getting 10x what your standard savings acccount gets, you re leaving money on the table.

A wise man once advised me, '... I worked really hard for my money and I want it to work just as hard for me...'

I was slow to catch on, but there is a point where your portfolio tips and you wake up each day/week/month and say, '....wow, my money made me a lot of money...'
Sometimes after the market has had a few good days I'll log in before work and check my 401k. And then I go tell the other guy at work that likes investing to go check his. And then we sit there all day with a half smirk all day thinking about the unrealized gains.

I've got about 10 years left. 59 and a half, I'm selling my house cashing out my 401k. Selling my gold and silver and headed to the beaches of Thailand. You can live like a king over there for way cheaper than the good old US of Inflation. A brand-new house over there for 80k. with a pool. Good luck finding a house in this country for 80k that isn't in a crack neighborhood or on fire.
You’re going to get a Sudsy?

• Love
Reactions: HBK4life

..."now that I've gotten all of my opinions in...."
[/QUOTE]

lite, I'm FAR from out of opinions on the topic.

A large part of the problem is people have a simplistic attitude of, YES, we've always had elections, so there will always be elections, blah, blah, blah. In many cases, they don't know enough about things that may occur for them to even have an opinion. It doesn't take any balls to just march along with the crowd.

With the millions of illegals, of all nationalities, and MOSTLY military aged men, that have freely walked across the southern border the last 3+ years, now that's a perfect combination to add to BLM, Antifa if things get stirred up. All it takes is the side of one of the parties that looks like it could lose, to manufacture a response from those radical dumbasses.

This country is nothing but a shadow of the country we all grew up in. And it gets worse, every effen day.

I know smart people that say it's 50/50 the Huskers win the natty this fall. Don't ask to wager on this though, it wouldn't be fair. We definitely shouldn't discuss it until after the season, when you guys can tell me I was wrong. I refuse to list all the reasons, and trust me, these people know more about CFB than anyone on this board.

tom-cruise-what.gif

C’mon. You knew what he meant.

Reactions: TFrazier
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT