ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Movies

big red22

Offensive Coordinator
Dec 15, 2003
So a few friends and I who grew up in the 80's were discussing movies that were great then and are still good now.

We could think of nothing better than The Goonies

Even if you didn't grow up in the same time frame what other movies come to mind?

Others that were worth a mention

The Sandlot
Gremlins
Adventures in Babysitting

Stand By Me
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Breakfast Club
Red Dawn
The Outsiders
Rocky 4

And far too many others to mention.

Reactions: blackbones
My favorites:

Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Airplane, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Vision Quest.

Thirteen Candles, Planes Trains & Automobiles, Uncle Buck and pretty much anything by John Hughes was great too.

Even though the series started in the 70's, they spilled over into the 80's, was called Star Wars. Return of the Jedi was maybe the only 80's movie.

Ghostbusters was pretty popular.

Predator is probably my favorite 80's movie.

This is one of those "one man's gold is another man's trash" categories....having said that, I've watched Hoosiers and Princess Bride in excess of too many times...and never tire ....

This is one of those "one man's gold is another man's trash" categories....having said that, I've watched Hoosiers and Princess Bride in excess of too many times...and never tire ....

Princess Bride may be my favorite movie of all time. If the fight between Indigo Montoya and the six fingered man doesn't light your fire, your wood is wet.

And I fought watching that movie for 5 years....5 years I'll never get back. Great book by Cary Ewes about it.

Better Off Dead was awesome. Also loved The Running Man, Total Recall, basically anything with Arnold in it.

Some great 80s movies...

* This is Spinal Tap - One of the best dark comedies ever made
* Raising Arizona - Tied with Big Lebowski for my favorite Coen brothers flick
* Blood Simple - Coen brother's neo-noir
* Blue Velvet - David Lynch's best effort; very funny despite the disturbing content
* After Hours - Scorcese's classic dark comedy
* King of Comedy - Sad but funny story line. Another great Scorcese flick

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Law
Pieces - you don't have to go to Texas for a chainsaw massacre.

Dazed and Confused - portrayed my mid-seventies teenage existence more or less to the letter.

pieces-movie-poster.jpg

Some great nostalgia here. I'll add Big Trouble in Little China.

Regarding the OP, I never saw The Goonies in the 80s, but watched it about 6 months ago for the first time and thought it was terrible. It's amazing how some movies speak to you at important points of your life, then stay with you (i.e. all the John Hughes stuff, Fast Times, Better Off Dead, etc).

Hope you don't mind a Hawk fan chipping in. Count me as another that loved Princess Bride, I like war movies as well so Platoon and Full Metal Jacket were both excellent IMO. Liked Die Hard, Raging Bull and hell even liked They Live with Roddy Piper. Some excellent movies brought up in this thread..

Space Balls - I see my Schwartz is longer than yours.
"Maaaaan we ain't found shit" is still my favorite part of that movie

Anyone remember Willow with Val Kilmer? I haven't seen that since I was really little, but I think I'd watch that again too

Overboard - Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
Back to School - Rodney Dangerfield
Summer School - Kirstie Alley

"Maaaaan we ain't found shit" is still my favorite part of that movie

Anyone remember Willow with Val Kilmer? I haven't seen that since I was really little, but I think I'd watch that again too

Overboard - Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
Back to School - Rodney Dangerfield
Summer School - Kirstie Alley
Willow was great! I think it'd be awesome to remake it.

Lots of great ones. Don't know if it was 80s or early 90s but Toy Soldiers is one I will always watch.

"So we finish 18 and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, 'Hey, Lama! Hey! How about a little somethin', you know, for the effort, you know.' And he says, 'Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."
Caddyshack (1980)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT