ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Manning the rails

Getting underway from Pier 4 Norfolk Naval Station in 1992. The destination was the Mediterranean in support of the Sixth Fleet.

1DrW3IY.jpg
If I remember correctly it was the USS Belknap, a cruiser that was stationed in Gaeta Italy where Commander, Sixth Fleet was on board.

Reactions: bigboxes
Approach of the USS Guadalcanal (LPH-7). My ship was a AFS class ship. It was a Combat Stores Ship. A supply ship that gave stores, food, ammunition and fuel. We were quite popular when we made our approach. I think I remember other ships in the fleet calling us Dominos. While the Guadalcanal was making it's approach, you can see from the other pics of our ship providing Vertical Replenishment (Vert Reps) with the helos. When they eventually pulled alongside, we would shoot lines over and finish our operations. Everything had to be perfect. The same heading, the same speed. If not, you may have an accident.

@Jarhead Red
4e4j702h.jpg

EdgkFJAh.jpg

1wbhlrhh.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jarhead Red
Again, awesome pics boxes! Great pics of the USS Guadalcanal! Spent 6.5 months on her....sadly she was used for target practice and is now sitting at the bottom of the Atlantic near the Virginia Capes.

Approach of the USS Guadalcanal (LPH-7). My ship was a AFS class ship. It was a Combat Stores Ship. A supply ship that gave stores, food, ammunition and fuel. We were quite popular when we made our approach. I think I remember other ships in the fleet calling us Dominos. While the Guadalcanal was making it's approach, you can see from the other pics of our ship providing Vertical Replenishment (Vert Reps) with the helos. When they eventually pulled alongside, we would shoot lines over and finish our operations. Everything had to be perfect. The same heading, the same speed. If not, you may have an accident.

@Jarhead Red
4e4j702h.jpg

EdgkFJAh.jpg

1wbhlrhh.jpg

Again, awesome pics boxes! Great pics of the USS Guadalcanal! Spent 6.5 months on her....sadly she was used for target practice and is now sitting at the bottom of the Atlantic near the Virginia Capes.

My ship was decommissioned 6 days after I got out. It is what it is. We get attached to our commands.

Reactions: Jarhead Red
They are awesome, a lot of people who never have served don't realize what it all take to keep the navy going, did you ever have a serious situation all hands man your battle stations?

did you ever have a serious situation all hands man your battle stations?

Nothing like combat. We were pretty much protected by being in the carrier group. However, one time, just south of Cyprus, we had a fire down in the main space (engine room) and it was a call to general quarters. After all, this is where you live.

I think we had an actual man overboard call that wasn't a drill. That would be one of the scariest things in the Navy. To fall off or be blown off the ship and find yourself alone in the water hoping to be rescued. Worse if is at night. I know many have done worse duty than I. I do remember my first time standing fan tail watch in the middle of the night in a foreign port. It was my birthday and we're in port and I can't go anywhere because I had duty. I was armed with an M14 and a walkie talkie to communicate with the Quarter Deck. The USS Cole bombing was still fresh in my mind and I was determined that any attack wouldn't be because of my inattention. It was a long (and boring) four hours. LOL

Last edited:
The destroyers (tin cans) are farthest away then the cruisers and the carrier is in the middle or anyways that how it was years ago. Where would your ship be positioned? I'm sure things are way different now than from years ago

The destroyers (tin cans) are farthest away then the cruisers and the carrier is in the middle or anyways that how it was years ago. Where would your ship be positioned? I'm sure things are way different now than from years ago

I can't imagine we were integral. Probably on the fringes until needed. That wasn't something that I was privy too. I never thought to ask someone at the time. As for things being different, some technology has changed. They wear different work uniforms. Newer ships. Other than that, I'm guessing that more things are the same rather than different. It's not this is ancient times.

If I remember correctly it was the USS Belknap, a cruiser that was stationed in Gaeta Italy where Commander, Sixth Fleet was on board.

Well, what do you know. Here's us supplying the USS Belknap (CG 26). In my notes, I had this as the USS Ashland, but it clearly is not. I'm sure it was a big deal having this pull up alongside us. Commander, Sixth Fleet, Vice Admiral Thomas J. Lopez was indeed on board.

4Vuqey8h.jpg

Command Master Chief FCCM Sconiers shooting some video. Notice the size of that camera. That had to be one of the full sized VHS models before all the shrinkage took place. Nowadays, you can take better video with your cell phone.

CD3P7RTh.jpg

Army > Navy

:Cool:

Great thread though, real interesting to get a glimpse of that Navy life.

These are great pictures of insight of what goes on day to day operations. Thank you and all vets for their service!!! Of all your travels what was the worst place to take shore leave and the best. And I don't mean partying just the worst and best people places scenery. Wasn't it the navy's slogan in the early 1980s join the Navy see the world

Here in the Eastern Mediterranean, we had a cookout on the flight deck. They called it "Steel Beaches". We're not into port, so no alcohol. Near beer and soda for cheap. I hate O'Douls and Sharps. Blech. The tradition is that the E-7 and above did all the cooking and serving.

7UNWqFVh.jpg

ylH1eWvh.jpg
EebjDDvh.jpg

PyuNb6dh.jpg

These are olive trees that are descendants from the olive trees that Jesus talked to his disciples in. Very cool.
eYGEIyrh.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MU4NU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT