ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hwy 26 Guernsey (WY) to Ogallala

VandallHuskerJulie

First Team All-Big Ten
Oct 13, 2001
Time to plan my annual return to Omaha and with all the flooding through out NE and IA I'm thinking about changing my normal route and instead of driving I90 thu WY and SD taking I 25 down WY and catching I 80 in Nebraska. One route suggests I25 - Hwy 26 - to I 80 in Ogallala.

Any thoughts on taking this highway? On paper it looks like a really pretty drive by Scotts Bluff and Chimney Rock but if it's a crappy road I might change my mind.

Thanks!

The road's decent, especially if you take Highway 26 south of Big Mac. Taking 61 across the dam and 92 north of the lake isn't as good as road but is more scenic. 92 From Bridgeport to Scottsbluff is really cool with Court House and Jailhouse rocks, Chimney Rock and a good view of the Bluffs. Highway 26 and 92 actually break away and then come back together a couple of times from Ogallala to Mitchell

Last edited:
It looks like stopping at Chimney Rock is easier and quicker - is that right? I'd like to visit at least Chimney Rock or Scotts Bluff but I've got limited time (maybe go to one on the way to Omaha and one on the way home?) I must admit I haven't been to the panhandle in a LONG LONG time and would like to see at least one of them. Are they visible from the highway?

Reactions: dpnavy
Just back from taking the Huskers to National Finals 7's Rugby in Tucson and I-80 was fine, stopped at Ole's in Paxton for Lunch Monday as we stayed in Pueblo overnight to split it up.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Just back from taking the Huskers to National Finals 7's Rugby in Tucson and I-80 was fine, stopped at Ole's in Paxton for Lunch Monday as we stayed in Pueblo overnight to split it up.
How did it go??

It looks like stopping at Chimney Rock is easier and quicker - is that right? I'd like to visit at least Chimney Rock or Scotts Bluff but I've got limited time (maybe go to one on the way to Omaha and one on the way home?) I must admit I haven't been to the panhandle in a LONG LONG time and would like to see at least one of them. Are they visible from the highway?
For scenic enjoyment I would linger in the Wildcat Hills rather than Chimney Rock. Make the obligatory stop at Chimney Rock and snap a photo but not much to do other than that. Nice piece of history, though.

Take Hwy 30 from Ogallala to North Platte and you can stop for a burger at Ozzie’s in Sutherland. You can thank me later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Can o' corn
Yea Chimney Rock is quicker but the view from the top of Scottsbluff Monument is incredible. Both are visible from the Highway for miles. 92 takes you right by both. If you don't stop at Scottsbluff Monument you can still see the wagon ruts from the road as you drive through Mitchell pass

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
How did it go??
Well we have all freshmen & sophmore's, only 3 seniors on the team and finished 11th in the nation, winning the shield in Division 1AA. So better than anticipated for first trip playing on the National Stage vs a few varsity programs, Mary Washington (ranked #1 going in) is moving up and Florida International (5th, & 14-5 loss) was mostly Argentinean players & others who grew up playing. Day two Western Washington (9th) scored to break the tie at full time (24-19 loss), and we won the Shield vs Sam Houston State 19-12, after being down 12-0 at the half. Thanks for asking!

Thanks for the great tips, esp using HWY 92. And I'm all about the history, as that was my major. :) Sounds like I'll try to make time for Scotts Bluff. And my first food stop will be for a Runza.

e
For scenic enjoyment I would linger in the Wildcat Hills rather than Cimney Rock. Make the obligatory stop at Chimney Rock and snap a photo but not much to do other than that. Nice piece of history, though.

Take Hwy 30 from Ogallala to North Platte and you can stop for a burger at Ozzie’s in Sutherland. You can thank me later.
Multiple burger places on that route depending on your preferences. Ozzie's is a café/convenience store, Open Range in Ogallala does specialty burgers, The Windy Gap in Paxton is your classic bar burger, and Ole's in Paxton is more of a sit down place.

Reactions: kruller
As I'll be spending about 12 hours in the car my food stops will consist of multiple Starbucks runs (preferably combined with gas station stops) and at least one Runza run. I'm already plotting out potential stops for these things. Yeah, I like to have my whole journey figured out before I start. I'm a planner. :)

e
Multiple burger places on that route depending on your preferences. Ozzie's is a café/convenience store, Open Range in Ogallala does specialty burgers, The Windy Gap in Paxton is your classic bar burger, and Ole's in Paxton is more of a sit down place.
Yeah I know Ozzie’s feels like a 7-11,but the food is terrific. Not a fan of Ole’s food at all. Will give the other two a try, though.

Reactions: kruller
I have a place on Highway 92 east of Lemoyne. Depending on what time you get to Lemoyne, Admirals Cove Restaurant has great food. Kind of pricey but you get what you pay for. Highway 92 was redone last year but you wouldnt know it. :/ You can turn east before the dam and cut over to Highway 30 using the Keystone Roscoe Rd or go across the dam for the view and turn east at Scuba Steve's if you dont mind driving gravel for 5-6 miles. I sometimes take Highway 30 to Shelton on my way back to Lincoln just because I get sick of the Interstate traffic. Lots of cool small towns along the way. Make sure to stop at Peppers and More Smokehouse in Paxton if you like great jerky. It's a neat little shop with lots of other meats. Oles is cool but average food at best. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread if you have other questions. I am currently at the lake working on my place until Monday. My 102 work trip in 38 months. :0

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Well we have all freshmen & sophmore's, only 3 seniors on the team and finished 11th in the nation, winning the shield in Division 1AA. So better than anticipated for first trip playing on the National Stage vs a few varsity programs, Mary Washington (ranked #1 going in) is moving up and Florida International (5th, & 14-5 loss) was mostly Argentinean players & others who grew up playing. Day two Western Washington (9th) scored to break the tie at full time (24-19 loss), and we won the Shield vs Sam Houston State 19-12, after being down 12-0 at the half. Thanks for asking!
You will have to keep us updated next season!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT