ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Henry Doorley zoo

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
What’s the deal with the bear exhibit being closed? Visited there a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed with some of the exhibits. Are they going full whacko and refusing to exhibit carnivores or is it just a COVID result. They used to have great big cat and bear exhibits.

Might have something to do with the recent acts of vandalism, fence-cutting and animal theft at other zoos. Could be they are evaluating the security of certain areas. I don't know that this is the case, but if so it's a shame that a few shitheads are forcing zoos to take these steps.

Might have something to do with the recent acts of vandalism, fence-cutting and animal theft at other zoos. Could be they are evaluating the security of certain areas. I don't know that this is the case, but if so it's a shame that a few shitheads are forcing zoos to take these steps.
I had never noticed before how close the houses to the zoo are on the south side. Must make for some interesting early morning wake ups.

What’s the deal with the bear exhibit being closed? Visited there a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed with some of the exhibits. Are they going full whacko and refusing to exhibit carnivores or is it just a COVID result. They used to have great big cat and bear exhibits.
So moving some species to region specific exhibits like Asian Highlands and black bears to the Wildlife Safari in Ashland. New exhibit space announced in 2019 I believe. Haven’t heard if Polar Bears will be part of that however.

I had never noticed before how close the houses to the zoo are on the south side. Must make for some interesting early morning wake ups.

There is a primate enclosure near Shreveport in the middle of nowhere...and a mountain bike trail runs next to it...you can hear (but never see) monkeys and apes in full vocals as you ride thru the trails. Pretty cool.

Edit-I will be mountain biking that trail again in 2 weeks so yeah..imma lil excited bout it!!!

Last edited:
There is a primate enclosure near Shreveport in the middle of nowhere...and a mountain bike trail runs next to it...you can hear (but never see) monkeys and apes in full vocals as you ride thru the trails. Pretty cool.
I have never understood the fascination with viewing caged animals in unnatural enviornments. Zoos are a tired vestige of Colonialism.
We took my grandsons. It’s great to see living breathing animals in surroundings like the giraffe yard. The aquarium was a big hit. I’m somewhat of an animal welfarist and HD does a good job of providing somewhat natural surroundings without the animals living in fear of being eaten by someone else. Life on the Serengeti is no picnic.

We took my grandsons. It’s great to see living breathing animals in surroundings like the giraffe yard. The aquarium was a big hit. I’m somewhat of an animal welfarist and HD does a good job of providing somewhat natural surroundings without the animals living in fear of being eaten by someone else. Life on the Serengeti is no picnic.
my kids 7/9/11 love the zoo. My son has the whole place memorized by like year and what was where and when this and that will be finished per the kiewit release date. It’s crazy. He can look at the zoo map for hours.

We’ve been back on the east coast five years now (jeezus time goes fast) but they still go back with my wife to spend summer vacation with the grandparents. They get every dime out of that zoo membership.

Literally just woke up and read that as Beer exhibit. Thought 🤔 is the Zoo falling on hard times or they're a lot of drunks at the Zoo, they needed to shut it down.

I'm gonna need more coffee ☕

Unless you're a lion, then it kinda is :)

The Dallas Zoo down here has been getting hit hard with this... I want to say 3 different occasions that I'm aware of

I don't know anything about their current bear exhibit and refurbishment, but it seems they're always updated some area.

Their Asian Highlands area is very well done, almost on the level of Disney.

I went last summer for the first time since maybe the 80s and I was blown away with all the improvements and exhibits. It felt big time. Was also a little surprised at how close some of the neighborhood houses were

my first memory of the zoo was the old lion cage they keeped calamar the lion who went to royals games,
then connected to that they had a huge condor in a cage.
and then casey the gorilla who was around forever.
the spiting cobra I used to tap on the window (a lil bit), which was kinda funny

I sold concessions there in the summer of 1979. I would walk around on my breaks checking out the exhibits and eating concessions. The pay sucked but the food was free. The place looks way different these days.

I went last summer for the first time since maybe the 80s and I was blown away with all the improvements and exhibits. It felt big time. Was also a little surprised at how close some of the neighborhood houses were
They've added a lot of foreign vegetation - plants / trees / flowers / etc.

I am not the person who would give AF about this stuff, but I will say it's cool that they even take it to that level. Last time I was there - we walked with a person pointing that information out. It was crazy how detailed they are when you get with a guide.
Albeit - I might've been pranked by someone and probably am on a TIkTok video somewhere.

I don't know anything about their current bear exhibit and refurbishment, but it seems they're always updated some area.

Their Asian Highlands area is very well done, almost on the level of Disney.
Yeah I guess it was just a bad time to visit but I figured there would be bears out and about on a chilly day. No big cats and no bears to be seen. Still fun but they should probably reduce the price when that much stuff was closed. It was a weekend even

And don't forget the ring poachers too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT