ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Goodbye Mrs. Boxes

Well, today is Wannie's birthday. Went to her gravesite for the first time since her passing. It was a little more emotional than I thought it would be. It's also going to be my final resting spot, as we will be buried together. I was going to lie down next to her when I realized I had disturbed an ant mound. LOL.

eU5dS1Yh.jpg

This is our view
R5ANCZJh.jpg

Last edited:
Well, today is Wannie's birthday. Went to her gravesite for the first time since her passing. It was a little more emotional than I thought it would be. It's also going to be my final resting spot, as we will be buried together. I was going to lie down next to her when I realized I had disturbed an ant mound. LOL.

eU5dS1Yh.jpg
Your post is a great reminder to let the ones you love, know how you feel. Thanks for that important reminder, and I’m so sorry for your loss.

eU5dS1Yh.jpg

This is our view
R5ANCZJh.jpg
No doubt memorial day has extra meaning to you. AND it's the proper meaning. Not just another 3 day weekend, bbq, or going to the lake.

God be with you and blessed be the memories of your dear wife. And thank you for your service

Boxes, this is one of the most poignant things I have read here in all the years I have been reading this board. Brought tears to my eyes more than once.
Peace be with you, cherish her memories as I am sure you do. She sounds like she was a real special lady.
I am sad you had to live through this, no one deserves it.

My brother had to do everything for his wife, until she passed in March 2020. He was always so busy, but it was a labor of love. He is always so lonely now. I'm not sure family attention will fill that void.

I try to do that for my brother, and I hope you have someone to take up the small hours.

My brother had to do everything for his wife, until she passed in March 2020. He was always so busy, but it was a labor of love. He is always so lonely now. I'm not sure family attention will fill that void.

I try to do that for my brother, and I hope you have someone to take up the small hours.

I don't have to be lonely. Lots of offers. I had to learn to live alone again. I'm sure I will love again. I'm just picky. God is leading me now.

I don't have to be lonely. Lots of offers. I had to learn to live alone again. I'm sure I will love again. I'm just picky. God is leading me now.
Your last line is perfect... and I’ve no doubt it is true. Proud to have been privileged to hear you talk about her with great love and care.
Blessings to you good friend❤️

My wife of nearly 48 years and I have this same conversation. What would we do when the other is gone. It can't be easy and I enjoy your comments. To Love once is amazing and you are blessed to have experienced that. Trusting in the leading of God is essential, He knows us best and wants the best for us. Blessings

When you posted this in 2019 I was so overcome with sadness at your loss I didn't know how to respond, so I didn't.....and I'm sorry, I should have. All your friends here are like I, hoping you are managing your grief and things get better each day.

How do you publicly express loss? Many would internalize this. I think there's a story here. She's had a life full of suffering. It wasn't until after her passing that I was able to see the beauty of her Christian faith through all of this. I was thinking that she was dying. She was like, "I'm still living!" Through Christ she still is.

As many of you know, 11 years ago "Wannie" was diagnosed with State IV cancer. I posted a prayer thread on this about that time asking for your guys support. You guys responded like Nebraskans always do. I appreciated it then and I again thank you once more.

Today, my love passed on to be with her Lord. She was 51. At the age of 14, she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She was not supposed to make it. 37 years later, the love of my life finally lost her battle with cancer.

I met Wannie through my friend and co-worker, Rhonda. She lived at my apartments and introduced Wannie to me. It was obvious that Wannie liked me right away, as I did her. When she left, I was mad that I didn't ask her out right then. I vowed to ask her out again as soon as I saw her again.

Our first date was the date I officially joined the Navy. We met at my favorite Chinese restaurant. She wore a little red dress. I thanked her for the date, gave her a hug and a peck and walked across the street to the Navy recruiting station, got on the bus and headed for the airport on my way to boot camp.

While I was at boot camp in Orlando, she was the one who kept writing me. She sent me a package of about ten full-sized candy bars which I was supposed to share with everyone. I greedily ate every last one of them. Haha!

After boot camp, we dated some more while I was on leave. Even though it was only a week, I knew by the way she carried herself and handled adversity that she was the right one for me. So, I asked her to marry me over the phone from my "A" school in Meridian, Mississippi. Of course she said yes and we were married close to a year later.

While I was deployed she finished up her degree back home in Texas. She would later go on to have a career in teaching. She also was a Stephen Minister in our church, bringing the church to shut ins and those that were in the hospital.

If you met Wannie, then you made a friend. She was kind, thoughtful and respectful of all. Even through her years of suffering, she was always thinking of others.

Goodbye Wannie. Until we meet again, my love.
thanks for sharing what a relationship with God at the Beginning and end, looks like
Well done, but its not over either!!

As many of you know, 11 years ago "Wannie" was diagnosed with State IV cancer. I posted a prayer thread on this about that time asking for your guys support. You guys responded like Nebraskans always do. I appreciated it then and I again thank you once more.

Today, my love passed on to be with her Lord. She was 51. At the age of 14, she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She was not supposed to make it. 37 years later, the love of my life finally lost her battle with cancer.

I met Wannie through my friend and co-worker, Rhonda. She lived at my apartments and introduced Wannie to me. It was obvious that Wannie liked me right away, as I did her. When she left, I was mad that I didn't ask her out right then. I vowed to ask her out again as soon as I saw her again.

Our first date was the date I officially joined the Navy. We met at my favorite Chinese restaurant. She wore a little red dress. I thanked her for the date, gave her a hug and a peck and walked across the street to the Navy recruiting station, got on the bus and headed for the airport on my way to boot camp.

While I was at boot camp in Orlando, she was the one who kept writing me. She sent me a package of about ten full-sized candy bars which I was supposed to share with everyone. I greedily ate every last one of them. Haha!

After boot camp, we dated some more while I was on leave. Even though it was only a week, I knew by the way she carried herself and handled adversity that she was the right one for me. So, I asked her to marry me over the phone from my "A" school in Meridian, Mississippi. Of course she said yes and we were married close to a year later.

While I was deployed she finished up her degree back home in Texas. She would later go on to have a career in teaching. She also was a Stephen Minister in our church, bringing the church to shut ins and those that were in the hospital.

If you met Wannie, then you made a friend. She was kind, thoughtful and respectful of all. Even through her years of suffering, she was always thinking of others.

I will pray for you, that God will bless you and comfort you during this time of loss. Winnie sounds like a real child of God and is in Paradise now.

Well, today is the 2-year anniversary of her passing. I've been thinking about her lately. By Monday, I knew that I needed to take today off. Went out to the DFW National Cemetery and visited with her. The weather wasn't too bad, just windy. Streamed three of her favorite songs from my server at home. Wept at times. These were her favorite songs and hence meant something to me as well.

I talk to her a lot, from wherever I am. I would like to think that she could hear me from wherever. But it's different on the grave site.

I remember the first time I met Wannie and I remember the last.

That's where I'm at these days.

Last edited:
Good friend…. I think of you often and knew that this day was coming up. Hate it for you, but am pleased for you that you experienced such a deep love. You are like my dad…. You Ministered to an ailing spouse and gave yourself up for her. Proud of you. One of the ones on here I’d like to meet some day. Blessings

Well, today is the 2-year anniversary of her passing. I've been thinking about her lately. By Monday I knew that I needed to take today off. Went out to the DFW National Cemetery and visited with her. The weather wasn't too bad, just windy. Streamed three of her favorite songs from my server at home. Wept at times. These were her favorite songs and hence meant something to me as well.

I talk to her a lot, from wherever I am. I would like to think that she could hear me from wherever. But it's different on the grave site.

I hope that she is in a place where she sees and hears you. She hopes to see you when you have lived your life to it's fullest and come see her. She will be waiting with open arms. That is my hope. Until then, my heart sends comfort to yours.

Your life with her and your memories are priceless; I am sure it hurts like hell sometimes but you have been blessed beyond belief. There are so many sad sacks of shit in this world who hate life, but she helped you live it. You shared something only a small % get to share. You gave each other legit joy, and so many woulf give anything for that. Good for you and good for her.

Your life with her and your memories are priceless; I am sure it hurts like hell sometimes but you have been blessed beyond belief. There are so many sad sacks of shit in this world who hate life, but she helped you live it. You shared something only a small % get to share. You gave each other legit joy, and so many woulf give anything for that. Good for you and good for her.
May the Good Lord extend His hand over you and yours in peace and serenity.

I really wanted to reply to you privately.....but I will do it on here. I will not say I can know your pain....because I can't imagine what you have endured. My wife of 43.5 years just had her birthday. As we are getting olders it has made me think "where would I be without her"......and I could not think of anything good without her. I cannot imagine loosing the love of my life as you have...and I hope you find comfort in memories of your life with her and the faith that she held so close.

The good thing is ...your wife taught you well and I think you must be a man of faith. Look around now.....look up because our redemption is coming soon! You two will be celebrating together at the best wedding feast you can imagine!

Well, today is the 2-year anniversary of her passing. I've been thinking about her lately. By Monday, I knew that I needed to take today off. Went out to the DFW National Cemetery and visited with her. The weather wasn't too bad, just windy. Streamed three of her favorite songs from my server at home. Wept at times. These were her favorite songs and hence meant something to me as well.

You're a good man

I am with spartan, if you are ever even close to Wichita, the three of us need to get together.

As I read what you have written from your heart that has been broken and misses her desperately, I cannot help but think about how we as humans get to this point. How is that we are capable of a deep and abiding love for someone whom we cherish beyond description? How can we ache over losing someone we have shared the turmoil of life with? How can we long for that time when we are reunited with the person we have loved so deeply. Then I wonder how in the world we even have the ability to love like you have loved Wannie and she loved you as well. In this world of temporary tragedies and many problems, take comfort in the gift of love you have been given and experienced dear friend. It is a double edge sword of a deep love that, when interrupted by death, hurts so much but I am convinced that a great and wonderous God gives us a glimpse of the great love he has for us but it is so difficult for us to fully understand. Blessings and I hope you are someday in this area.

Prayers for you. I sincerely hope that you can soak up all of this energy and let it lift your spirit so that you can be comforted in this difficult time ahead of you.

She sounded beautiful man. Peace to you brother and your family.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT