ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Goodbye Mrs. Boxes

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
As many of you know, 11 years ago "Wannie" was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer. I posted a prayer thread on this about that time asking for your guys support. You guys responded like Nebraskans always do. I appreciated it then and I again thank you once more.

Today, my love passed on to be with her Lord. She was 51. At the age of 14, she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She was not supposed to make it. 37 years later, the love of my life finally lost her battle with cancer.

I met Wannie through my friend and co-worker, Rhonda. She lived at my apartments and introduced Wannie to me. It was obvious that Wannie liked me right away, as I did her. When she left, I was mad that I didn't ask her out right then. I vowed to ask her out as soon as I saw her again.

Our first date was the date I officially joined the Navy. We met at my favorite Chinese restaurant. She wore a little red dress. I thanked her for the date, gave her a hug and a peck and walked across the street to the Navy recruiting station, got on the bus and headed for the airport on my way to boot camp.

While I was at boot camp in Orlando, she was the one who kept writing me. She sent me a package of about ten full-sized candy bars which I was supposed to share with everyone. I greedily ate every last one of them. Haha!

After boot camp, we dated some more while I was on leave. Even though it was only a week, I knew by the way she carried herself and handled adversity that she was the right one for me. So, I asked her to marry me over the phone from my "A" school in Meridian, Mississippi. Of course she said yes and we were married close to a year later.

While I was deployed she finished up her degree back home in Texas. She would later go on to have a career in teaching. She also was a Stephen Minister in our church, bringing the church to shut ins and those that were in the hospital.

If you met Wannie, then you made a friend. She was kind, thoughtful and respectful of all. Even through her years of suffering, she was always thinking of others.

Goodbye Wannie. Until we meet again, my love.

Last edited:
I’m so sorry to hear this and you’ll be added to our prayers list (FYI- my boys are too young to question praying for people while using their user names and it’ll be a weird conversation when they are old enough to question me about it. ‘Who is Bigboxes and how do you know him?’).

Truly, my heart goes to you. As I type this, I am laying next to my wife of nearly a decade and I cannot imagine ever losing her. I am really sorry for your loss and hope you find peace. My heart breaks for you. You’ll be getting a lot of prayers from a 3 and 5 year old each night.

As many of you know, 11 years ago "Wannie" was diagnosed with State IV cancer. I posted a prayer thread on this about that time asking for your guys support. You guys responded like Nebraskans always do. I appreciated it then and I again thank you once more.

Today, my love passed on to be with her Lord. She was 51. At the age of 14, she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She was not supposed to make it. 37 years later, the love of my life finally lost her battle with cancer.

I met Wannie through my friend and co-worker, Rhonda. She lived at my apartments and introduced Wannie to me. It was obvious that Wannie liked me right away, as I did her. When she left, I was mad that I didn't ask her out right then. I vowed to ask her out again as soon as I saw her again.

Our first date was the date I officially joined the Navy. We met at my favorite Chinese restaurant. She wore a little red dress. I thanked her for the date, gave her a hug and a peck and walked across the street to the Navy recruiting station, got on the bus and headed for the airport on my way to boot camp.

While I was at boot camp in Orlando, she was the one who kept writing me. She sent me a package of about ten full-sized candy bars which I was supposed to share with everyone. I greedily ate every last one of them. Haha!

After boot camp, we dated some more while I was on leave. Even though it was only a week, I knew by the way she carried herself and handled adversity that she was the right one for me. So, I asked her to marry me over the phone from my "A" school in Meridian, Mississippi. Of course she said yes and we were married close to a year later.

While I was deployed she finished up her degree back home in Texas. She would later go on to have a career in teaching. She also was a Stephen Minister in our church, bringing the church to shut ins and those that were in the hospital.

If you met Wannie, then you made a friend. She was kind, thoughtful and respectful of all. Even through her years of suffering, she was always thinking of others.

Thoughts and prayers to you. She sounds like one of the great people the world will miss. Wish you well in this trying time.

Reactions: bigboxes
Damn life really is a bitch. I am so so sorry for your loss. I’m at a loss for words man, but we’re here for you.

As many of you know, 11 years ago "Wannie" was diagnosed with State IV cancer. I posted a prayer thread on this about that time asking for your guys support. You guys responded like Nebraskans always do. I appreciated it then and I again thank you once more.

I met Wannie through my friend and co-worker, Rhonda. She lived at my apartments and introduced Wannie to me. It was obvious that Wannie liked me right away, as I did her. When she left, I was mad that I didn't ask her out right then. I vowed to ask her out again as soon as I saw her again.

So sorry for your loss.

Box, its obvious by the way you speak of her that you truly loved her and you made each other happy. Thats awesome, what a blessing for both of you to find such a relationship.
I imagine youre a good dude that stuck with her through some trials because of that love.

Praying that Jesus brings her to heaven and that you’ll find comfort and meet again.

Really sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like you married an amazing woman, I know it will be difficult without her, but sending prayers your way.

Sorry for your loss. My wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer 5 years ago. As with all cancers, it’s a horrible thing to watch someone deal with during the initial diagnosis and everything that comes after. Its been a long five years for us. I cannot imagine dealing with that stress for as long as you and your wife did. Clearly, you were very lucky to have each other for those 26 years. She sounds like a fantastic woman.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You’ll been in my thoughts. I can’t even imagine the grief you’re experiencing right now. I’ve lost both my parents, one to cancer, all my grandparents, and two babies in late term pregnancies that my wife could no longer carry. My wife and I got together shortly after my Dad died and she has been with me through the rest of it. I can’t imagine life without her.

We’re all here if you need anything. My condolences.

I’m so sorry to read about your loss. She sounds like she was a wonder person, and you were both blessed to have met your soulmates. My heart felt condolences go out to you. God bless you and her.

What a great blessing she was in your life as you describe her. The Lord be with you as you carry on in life - until you meet the Lord face to face and her again.

So

I wake up to this news, and it breaks my heart. I know how you have loved her and been by her side the entire journey. Your love for her has been evident and nonstop.Many times I have reexamined my treatment of my wife because of your example. I truly believe the 'better or worse' part of the vows and you have been a model of that. Very proud of you for that.

For believers, I do think it is a balm that we believe we will see each other again, even if we are not sure of how that will look. I also know you most likely have been pre-grieving and your reactions and feelings may be totally different than some. I'm not your counselor, but know that whatever feelings flood over you are ok.

Bless you, man.Love you. Hope your faith is strong and your avenues of comfort are great. Blessings.

Dang man, I am so sorry for your loss. I've lost 4 family members and my daughters pet rabbit to cancer in the last 10 years. 3 more are fighting it now.

I've not lost my wife though. I can't imagine.

Praying for you man. John 14:27

Sounds like the two of you were very blessed. Life is short but very few are able to really able to find that special person. Prayers are with you and your family but take comfort that she is now with her Lord and all those that she ministered to.

Know that my thoughts are with you and your family bigboxes. She must have been a very courageous and caring person. It also sounds like she married a very special guy. Again, I so sorry for your loss.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT