ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Daily WTF is wrong with some people?

True story. I deployed to Afghanistan as a DoD civilian in 2012 with a team fielding a new GPS-guided mortar round. At one of the more remote FOBs, we were gearing up for a night shoot. I usually worked with the fire support guys an on this night I was invited to the TOC to watch the target area on the blimp FLIR camera. There were a few minutes before the first round was set to go down range, so the fire support officer asked "Do you want to see something really funny"? He got on his computer and put a video clip of a suspected Taliban insurgent they were watching one night. He walked up to a goat in the yard and literally began an extended "courtship" from behind. I would have never believed had I not seen it.

Who in the heck was the individual that sat there watching all that crap and counting each infraction.

Reactions: scarletred
True story. I deployed to Afghanistan as a DoD civilian in 2012 with a team fielding a new GPS-guided mortar round. At one of the more remote FOBs, we were gearing up for a night shoot. I usually worked with the fire support guys an on this night I was invited to the TOC to watch the target area on the blimp FLIR camera. There were a few minutes before the first round was set to go down range, so the fire support officer asked "Do you want to see something really funny"? He got on his computer and put a video clip of a suspected Taliban insurgent they were watching one night. He walked up to a goat in the yard and literally began an extended "courtship" from behind. I would have never believed had I not seen it.
How do those GPS guided rounds work? Are they effective?

Sandusky, Catholic priests, these guys...seriously, what the hell is wrong in Pennsylvania? Are they drinking lead instead of water?

Reactions: Skerz4Life50
Anyone who's ever read anything I've ever posted knows I'm as lenient as they come when it comes to rating women, I luv 'em, gawd how I luv 'em...But I ain't never looked at no goat and thought to myself "Gotta get me some of that"!!!!!!!

Reactions: BRHusker
Anyone who's ever read anything I've ever posted knows I'm as lenient as they come when it comes to rating women, I luv 'em, gawd how I luv 'em...But I ain't never looked at no goat and thought to myself "Gotta get me some of that"!!!!!!!

I don't know, I've been told goats are not so baaaaaaad.

But sheep are just damn liars!

What if we put a wig on it for you?

How do those GPS guided rounds work? Are they effective?
The system uses nearly the same fuze setter as the artillery's Excalibur round. The fuze setter is connected to the mortar ballistic computer (LHMBC or MFCS). Once the mission is called and calculated by the FDC, the data is sent to the fuze setter which in turn programs the round. Once it is fired, canards on the front of the round "push" it to the target. It was extremely accurate and did well in combat. The mission in Afghanistan basically ended for the conventional forces, so during the drawdown, we pulled out. The only issue was too many duds, although that was quickly improving with each successive lot. The program was put on hold for more R&D and will likely result in a contract re-compete in the near future.

Google XM395 Precision Guided Mortar Munition, you can find out more about it than I can tell you in paragraph.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT