ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Colonel Taylor Bourbon

You do it on your own, but there are a group of them that are considered the "Bourbon Trail" and you get a "passport" that can be marked off at each one. If you get them all, you get an exclusive T-shirt or something I think.

The ones on the trail are (according to Wikipedia):
-Angel's Envy Distillery in Louisville
-Bulleit Frontier Whiskey Experience at the Stitzel-Weller Distillery in Louisville
-Evan Williams Bourbon Experience in Louisville
-Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg
-Heaven Hill's visitor's center in Bardstown
-Jim Beam Distillery in Clermont
-Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto
-Lexington Brewing and Distilling Company in Lexington
-Wild Turkey Distillery in Lawrenceburg
-Woodford Reserve Distillery near Versailles

For some reason I think they might have another, but I can't get their website to work on my phone right.

Of what I've been to so far, Makers and Woodford are my favorites. Makers is #1, like I said before absolutely beautiful property it sits on, good tour, and you can pay to dip your own bottle (which I gladly did!). Woodford is a close second, the distillery has a very upscale feel and the tour was very informative. Pretty much all of them have tastings at the end, but at Woodford the guide actually TAUGHT us how to taste bourbon which is what got me into it more.

Four Roses wasn't terrible, but the tour wasn't as cool IMO and I'm not a fan of their bourbon. Architecture was cool though. Wild Turkey I didn't actually get to go on the tours since their tour bus was broken down, but the gift shop was nice. Woodford and Makers definitely had a more upscale and classy feel, IMO.

Buffalo Trace is also worth a stop even though they aren't part of the trail. You don't get to see as much but it's very informative. To be fair, you can make reservations and do a "hard hat" tour where you get to see more, but they weren't doing those when we went because they were in a shut-down period so can't comment on that. The cool thing with Buffalo Trace is their tours are free.
Wow! Thanks for taking the time to do this. I am definitely taking this tour this summer

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to do this. I am definitely taking this tour this summer

No problem, the Bourbon Trail site is a good resource for planning a trip, so I'd definitely check that out as you make arrangements. I like to hit distilleries wherever we go, so Kentucky is like the Motherland. We went to Galena, IL last spring for a quick trip and managed to find a distillery (Blaum Bros.) there too.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
No problem, the Bourbon Trail site is a good resource for planning a trip, so I'd definitely check that out as you make arrangements. I like to hit distilleries wherever we go, so Kentucky is like the Motherland. We went to Galena, IL last spring for a quick trip and managed to find a distillery (Blaum Bros.) there too.
Thanks again.
My daughter went to school near Scotland so I did that distillery tour about six years ago. Amazing! But I love Kentucky and really want to do this trip.

The whiskeys that I currently have:

Seagram's 7
Wild Turkey 101
Crown Royal
Maker's 46
Woodford Reserve
Glenfiddich
Knob Creek Straight Rye

I started a whiskey thread a couple of years ago in the off season (much like now). I tried Buffalo Trace based on the advice of others here. Very nice for the price. My favorite is Maker's 46. Woodford Reserve is very nice as well. The Knob Creek Rye, even at 100 proof, is very smooth. Not quite as sweet as the bourbons. The Seagram's 7 is for mixing. It's funny how the cheap stuff tastes best when mixing and the others better straight. I'm not a big scotch fan, but occasionally dip into it when I'm in the mood for something different.

The whiskeys that I currently have:

Seagram's 7
Wild Turkey 101
Crown Royal
Maker's 46
Woodford Reserve
Glenfiddich
Knob Creek Straight Rye

I started a whiskey thread a couple of years ago in the off season (much like now). I tried Buffalo Trace based on the advice of others here. Very nice for the price. My favorite is Maker's 46. Woodford Reserve is very nice as well. The Knob Creek Rye, even at 100 proof, is very smooth. Not quite as sweet as the bourbons. The Seagram's 7 is for mixing. It's funny how the cheap stuff tastes best when mixing and the others better straight. I'm not a big scotch fan, but occasionally dip into it when I'm in the mood for something different.
Makers 46 is fantastic

Not a fan of Jeffersons. But I know tons of people who love it. It has a higher alcohol content too

Have you tried their reserve bottlings or just the entry level stuff (Jefferson’s Very Small Batch?)

I’d agree that the VSB is just okay, but the Ocean Aged in particular is pretty good stuff IMO. Perhaps a little pricey though.

Sipping on Elijah Craig tonight. That’s my regular sipper, probably the best value at my local liquor store.

Lots of people liking ryes, never have developed a taste for rye myself.

When I was at Woodford Reserve, our guide talked about how bourbon/whiskey is an industry where you have to forcast trends years ahead because of the nature of making the spirits. He said rye was a big whiff for them in that regard, they didn't foresee the resurgence it's had so they were late into the the game and were just starting to get their rye to market in quantity around the time we visited.

Lots of people liking ryes, never have developed a taste for rye myself.

When I was at Woodford Reserve, our guide talked about how bourbon/whiskey is an industry where you have to forcast trends years ahead because of the nature of making the spirits. He said rye was a big whiff for them in that regard, they didn't foresee the resurgence it's had so they were late into the the game and were just starting to get their rye to market in quantity around the time we visited.
Rye is not for everyone for sure. I like how it is kind of spicy, but I know plenty that don't like it at all. Speaking of Woodford, has anyone tried their "Kentucky Derby" offering?

You do it on your own, but there are a group of them that are considered the "Bourbon Trail" and you get a "passport" that can be marked off at each one. If you get them all, you get an exclusive T-shirt or something I think.

The ones on the trail are (according to Wikipedia):
-Angel's Envy Distillery in Louisville
-Bulleit Frontier Whiskey Experience at the Stitzel-Weller Distillery in Louisville
-Evan Williams Bourbon Experience in Louisville
-Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg
-Heaven Hill's visitor's center in Bardstown
-Jim Beam Distillery in Clermont
-Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto
-Lexington Brewing and Distilling Company in Lexington
-Wild Turkey Distillery in Lawrenceburg
-Woodford Reserve Distillery near Versailles

For some reason I think they might have another, but I can't get their website to work on my phone right.

Of what I've been to so far, Makers and Woodford are my favorites. Makers is #1, like I said before absolutely beautiful property it sits on, good tour, and you can pay to dip your own bottle (which I gladly did!). Woodford is a close second, the distillery has a very upscale feel and the tour was very informative. Pretty much all of them have tastings at the end, but at Woodford the guide actually TAUGHT us how to taste bourbon which is what got me into it more.

Four Roses wasn't terrible, but the tour wasn't as cool IMO and I'm not a fan of their bourbon. Architecture was cool though. Wild Turkey I didn't actually get to go on the tours since their tour bus was broken down, but the gift shop was nice. Woodford and Makers definitely had a more upscale and classy feel, IMO.

Buffalo Trace is also worth a stop even though they aren't part of the trail. You don't get to see as much but it's very informative. To be fair, you can make reservations and do a "hard hat" tour where you get to see more, but they weren't doing those when we went because they were in a shut-down period so can't comment on that. The cool thing with Buffalo Trace is their tours are free.

Late to the party here, but just wanted to suggest the Four Roses Single barrel if you haven’t had it. I’m not a fan of their small batch, but the single barrel is one of my favorite “value” bourbons at $38/bottle. It changed my mind about that distillery. If you’ve had it and still don’t care for it, to each their own and less competition for me to get a bottle!

Late to the party here, but just wanted to suggest the Four Roses Single barrel if you haven’t had it. I’m not a fan of their small batch, but the single barrel is one of my favorite “value” bourbons at $38/bottle. It changed my mind about that distillery. If you’ve had it and still don’t care for it, to each their own and less competition for me to get a bottle!
Never tried it. But now I will! Thanks

I've heard the single barrel is significantly better, just haven't gotten around to trying it yet. My father-in-law liked the small batch, so I usually keep some around but don't drink it myself.

I'm trying to decide what my next bottle will be.

I'm kinda leaning towards Blantons, but also thinking about Maker's Mark Cask Strength, Elmer T Lee, or Elijah Craig Barrel Proof after reading some opinions here and elsewhere online.

Anybody ever tried Old Grandad?? I never have but I am curious. I have almost tried it a few times because it is, like Evan Williams, not that expensive, and it comes in a 100 proof version. I have resisted trying it though, because it was Joe Paterno's favorite Bourbon. I would feel like I was colluding with pedophiles if I bought it.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Anybody ever tried Old Grandad?? I never have but I am curious. I have almost tried it a few times because it is, like Evan Williams, not that expensive, and it comes in a 100 proof version. I have resisted trying it though, because it was Joe Paterno's favorite Bourbon. I would feel like I was colluding with pedophiles if I bought it.

The bonded Old Grand Dad is pretty good and it is cheap. But I haven’t had it since I found out it was JoePa’s brand a couple years ago.

I've heard the single barrel is significantly better, just haven't gotten around to trying it yet. My father-in-law liked the small batch, so I usually keep some around but don't drink it myself.

I'm trying to decide what my next bottle will be.

I'm kinda leaning towards Blantons, but also thinking about Maker's Mark Cask Strength, Elmer T Lee, or Elijah Craig Barrel Proof after reading some opinions here and elsewhere online.
Elmer.T.Lee is hands,down my,favorite of the lot.
It usually is easier to get than the Van winkle offerings and about a 1/3 of the cost.
Blantons is also a cant,go wrong with.

Bulleut Reserve is my go to bourbon.
This is actually a great choice. Along with Knob Creek. Not a fan of any Rye's. I don't mind Makers Mark and is a good choice at some of the smaller town bars that don't have a wide range. I find it a little too smooth especially on ice as it seems to me to taste watered down too quickly. I have a buddy who won't drink anything but Beam. Just can't do it unless I have too.

Use to buy Knob Creek found out Buffalo Trace was easier on the pocket book...

Also enjoy Makers Mark..

If I drink a Rye,Templeton Rye is my favorite.

Reactions: Huskerflick
Use to buy Knob Creek found out Buffalo Trace was easier on the pocket book...

Also enjoy Makers Mark..

If I drink a Rye,Templeton Rye is my favorite.
I would agree with you there......surprisingly it is a little pricier. Even slightly higher than Makers. I only notice it though when I get away from my own place. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT