ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Chamonix skiing

I'm jealous. The vertical descent of the skiing there is mind boggling. The White Valley has a drop of over 9,000 feet - that is more than double of any ski area in the US.

Reactions: c3o and king_kong_
I'm jealous. The vertical descent of the skiing there is mind boggling. The White Valley has a drop of over 9,000 feet - that is more than double of any ski area in the US.
My ears are popping just thinking about it. Skied on the Jungfrau Glacier many years ago but that wasn’t much of a ski slope. The Alps are amazing.

Only place I can think of that touches that is Whistler in BC.

Reactions: dinglefritz
How's the snow? We are short on snow and do not have cold enough temps here in the Northwest. I went skiing yesterday and it is still just skiing on groomed runs and a lot of manmade snow. I would say about 50-60% of the mountain is open. Half our hill is on top of basalt rock, so you want good coverage before wandering off the runs. The Big Boys were out with the Sun: Baker (10.7), Glacier (10.5), Rainier (14.4) and Adams (12.2) in all their glory. I didn't look to see if Hood (11.2) was visible. It has to be very clear to see Hood. The top of our hill is about 7000 feet, so it is pretty cool to look out and see these volcanoes. When I ran my bird dog late this afternoon it was 47 degrees here in town. The two of us are going quail and pheasant hunting tomorrow. Need more snow.

How's the snow? We are short on snow and do not have cold enough temps here in the Northwest. I went skiing yesterday and it is still just skiing on groomed runs and a lot of manmade snow. I would say about 50-60% of the mountain is open. Half our hill is on top of basalt rock, so you want good coverage before wandering off the runs. The Big Boys were out with the Sun: Baker (10.7), Glacier (10.5), Rainier (14.4) and Adams (12.2) in all their glory. I didn't look to see if Hood (11.2) was visible. It has to be very clear to see Hood. The top of our hill is about 7000 feet, so it is pretty cool to look out and see these volcanoes. When I ran my bird dog late this afternoon it was 47 degrees here in town. The two of us are going quail and pheasant hunting tomorrow. Need more snow.
Snow is pretty good. Brévent and La Flégère were a little icy in the morning because they are on the sunny side, but by 10am back to great. Just got dumped on.

Reactions: Wasker77
You are correct. I posted while having a beer at night while my kids wind down. Been here since the 20th and need something American in my life
I went to Tigne my first time skiing ever. Skied on the glacier in October. Fell so many times on the ice I felt like I broke my hip. Beautiful scenery.

Reactions: leodisflowers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT