ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Bugeater, I caught a barn door yesterday...

akmark

Senior
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2003
200 pound halibut. Literally took up the entire back of the boat, and I did hesitate and think about cutting it loose before finally deciding to harpoon it and try to bring it on board. She didn't like that harpoon tip and dove down a good 100 feet; buoys popped up after 30 seconds, then went back down for another 30 before that was it.
We had to let it bleed at the side of the boat for around 20 minutes before bringing it on board, and even then it was difficult. Seas were getting rougher, and I was with my 10-year old and his buddy. Nonetheless we got it on board (barely...if that fish would have come to life I don't know if we get it on the boat). Measured out at 71 inches, which puts it right in that 200 pound range.
Wife cooked up a bacon-wrapped halibut recipe last night that was unreal. If I come down for a game this year that's what I'll bring to the tailgate.
See that slice on the tail? That was the first thing I did when we got it on the boat...cut that tail muscle. It certainly started flopping on the way home, but couldn't really move because of the cut.
IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News