ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Brushes with Fame

TheBeav815

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Feb 19, 2007
Chicago Suburbs
This one is always interesting. Who is the most famous person you know or have interacted with beyond just "I saw so-and-so at the airport one time and said hi I'm a big fan"?

Mine are pretty Nebraska sports-centric. I waited on Suh a couple times at Lazlos, and I used to do bits for Schick & Nick, Schick now works for ESPNU and was on the ABC national broadcast yesterday for their countdown show.

I have a couple friends who have been on national commercials and had small roles on big TV shows.

Whadya got? Whodya know?

Rob Zatechka frequently knocks me out...

He's an anesthesiologist....

Used to work out with a few ex-huskers...Benning, McCathorn, Vershan Jackson. All 3 super cool dudes who'd talk about whatever.

I'm pretty much a nobody as you can tell.....

Met Christina Aguilera years ago when our band opened for the band, that opened for the band, that opened for her. Also saw Weezer with No Doubt at Westfair Ampitheater in 97 on the Tragic Kingdom tour. I made my way to the front of the stage (with my gf in tow) and gave Gwen a rose. She bent down and took the rose, and gave me a peck on the cheek. I was on cloud 9. I have always had a thing for her.

[QUOTE="4.6.3, post: . I have always had a thing for her.[/QUOTE]

Sincerely,
Every guy who isn't gay....

She's a total babe.

Worked at a Pharmacy in St. Louis for a few years, and some of the regular customers were Chuck Berry and Stan Musial. Stan was always easy to talk to... Had a bad knee because, as he said, "Too many triples, not enough homers!" :) I had a baseball ready to sign on the counter behind me for a friend who was a lifelong cardinals fan, but I chickened out when he came to the register. After he paid for his purchase, he just asked me, "Is that ball back there for me to sign?" A class act all the way!

Also Hale Irwin, Joe Torre and Bob Costas came in a time or two... I actually had to decline Bob's credit card; we didn't accept American Express. :)

Met Seinfeld at Walgreens
Saw Joe Theismann at Outback. Told my buddy that "the guy over there looks just like Joe Theismann". My buddy said "You're an idiot, that IS Joe Theismann".
Tom Osborne on multiple occasions
played pickup basketball with Andra Franklin
met Floyd Mayweather's 4, hulking behemoth bodyguards. Saw him sorta behind them.

Had a beer with Joe Montana in a hotel bar in Hollywood. He was there - with chicks all over him - as part of the CART/Indycar end of year awards being held in the ballroom that night (and getting tuned up nicely) - he was a partial team owner at that time with Chip Ganassi I believe??. I was there for a conference the next day (it was the weekend of the gigantic Halloween snow storm in Omaha that took out a huge number of trees - I had to come back early to deal with no power, yard full of trees, etc). Not sure his wife would approve what I saw - but he was pretty cool to talk to (briefly).

This one is always interesting. Who is the most famous person you know or have interacted with beyond just "I saw so-and-so at the airport one time and said hi I'm a big fan"?

Mine are pretty Nebraska sports-centric. I waited on Suh a couple times at Lazlos, and I used to do bits for Schick & Nick, Schick now works for ESPNU and was on the ABC national broadcast yesterday for their countdown show.

I have a couple friends who have been on national commercials and had small roles on big TV shows.

Whadya got? Whodya know?

This summer I had a few beers at a hotel bar in Bellevue (Washington) and chatted with Marshawn Lynch (he speaks! lol) for almost an hour. Super nice guy and very funny.

I played a round of golf with Jordan Spieth a little over a year ago. Very nice and humble guy. His caddy is from the same area as one of my buddies.

I've spoken to Bill Gates a few times. Incredibly thoughtful and intelligent guy!

One of my friends lives not far down the road from Richard Sherman in Maple Valley. He's gotten to talk with him a few times and both their wives are expecting I guess so they have that in common. He says he can introduce me to him at some point.

That's all I have.. nothing too interesting.

I've hung out with a lot of the Houston Texans defense over the last few years. Grandfather was a center at Hastings when TO was there, and so have been around TO multiple times as a kid.

A friend of mine was getting married, and invited me on his bachelor party to Stillwater, OK. He was an OSU alum, and it was 1994.

Our "entertainment" fell through, and the entire campus/town was dead because it was spring break. We ended up going to Eskimoe Joes. Thurman Thomas was there, I am guessing for an ego boost after just losing his fourth straight Super Bowl just a few weeks prior. Our crew was the life of the place, and we played some pool together. Somebody came up and asked for an autograph, and he asked if he could use my back to help sign whatever it was. And then he bought me drink for helping him out.

Cool guy.

Played a couple pickup basketball games at Wichita State against Barry Sanders in the mid '90's. When I was in school there we used to play a LOT of pickup basketball and one day he was up there with his buddies. He talked a lot and stayed out of the paint for obvious reasons :)

went to a fight in LA promoted by Golden Boy and got to hang out in a VIP area with Oscar de la Hoya. Very nice guy, hung out with us and took pictures with us before his handlers came and got him.

Sat ringside for a Bernard Hopkins fight next to Gene Simmons from Kiss. Really friendly and he took pictures with my wife and I in between fights.

I've also been able to chat with Larry Merchant and Jim Lampley at a Klitschko fight in Germany.

I've met the guys from Linkin Park a few times. Traded stories with Chester Bennington about traveling in Japan, but that was a pretty short conversation.

Husker related, kind of a funny story, I get off my plane in Jacksonville before the Gator Bowl against Clemson and this guy comes up to me and asks me if I'm going to the game and if I've got tickets already (I was wearing a Husker shirt). He was trying to sell me tickets. I'm thinking he's a regular scalper, but we're in the airport, inside security. I decline but strike up a conversation with him. Turns out it was Doug Dubose. He didn't know it, but he was a celebrity to me growing up in the 80's.

A friend and I had Robert Shaw over for martinis one night.

Worked with Sir David Willcocks.

Met John Rutter at King's College.

Three kind of cool ones...
* George Brett is married to a woman I coached in hs basketball ball many years ago...they got married in California but their reception was here it said from 7-10...my wife and I being social inepters showed up at 7...and had the married couple to ourselves for 15 minutes !!! I remember thinking" I could smoke a fastball by this guy!"
* In the spring of 96, I took my annual 7th grade DC trip, and we got to hang out with Bob Dole for 45 minutes in his Majority leader office...he had been in Wichita the previous week at a fundraiser at one of our kids' houses...he remembered her name(probably been prompted)...still a cool time.
*in the spring of 2007, we were AGAIN on our DC trip, waiting on our tour bus for our Pizza appointment, when our guide said" There's Senator Obama getting into that car!!" so I bounded off the bus, ran and waited at the end of the driveway, MOTIONED TO HIM TO ROLL THE WINDOW DOWN(he did!) and I said "Good luck on your run!" and he said Thanks ...I'll need it...and he stuck out his hand and we shook. Did not get my vote, but seemed great!

In lesser news, my optometrist growing up was on the NU Board of Regents(think he was president at one time) and he oft gave me and my dad his hoops tickets...sat behind the Bobfather several times.:)

Reactions: huskerj12
oh, yeah....I stood by Turner Gill during an entire half when he was recruiting Deangelo....and I'm not even trotting out my Tommie Frazier at the Big 12 championship story!:)

Being someone who has sang in a lot of choirs, I recognize all 3 names. John Rutter has written some of the most beautiful music I have ever sang.

I met the drummer for Ted Nugent a few years ago when they were in town. He was a cool dude. Hell of a drummer too.

- Lived next door to Turner Gill in Lincoln for about 6 months
- Shared an elevator in Washington DC with several of the Hogs (Butz, Jacoby, Grimm)
- Shook hands with Ben Carson in November
- Lived below Moses Malone in an apartment complex

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
I've never met Tom Osborne, but I once literally bumped into Barry Switzer. The situation was kind of unusual-I was in college and I was on a field trip for a history class on Frontier history(essentially the history of the American West). We had a trip planned to Oklahoma to visit several sites connected with Western history, among them was the National Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City. This was the spring of 1995 and the trip happened to occur just a week after the Oklahoma City federal building bombing. Barry Switzer(who was then head coach of the Dallas Cowboys), Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith were in town to announce some kind of donation by the Cowboys to the fund for the victims of the bombing. They decided to do their announcement at the National Cowboy Hall of Fame-the same day my class was there to visit. Sometime while I was walking around the museum browsing the exhibits, I turned around after reading something in a display case and accidently bumped into somebody standing behind me. I said "Excuse me"-and looked up and found myself looking at Barry Switzer's face. The interesting thing was that he didn't seem to even notice me bumping into him, because he was talking to somebody else at the moment.

In the mid 90's I won a Miller Beer contest that sent me to New Orleans to party with the cast of MAD TV. Hung out with Artie Lange all night, I'll bet he doesn't even remember he got so blasted. Next day we made a Super Bowl commercial with the cast. There was one winner from each of the 50 states. During that trip we were also treated to our own personal concert by Dishwalla (Counting Blue Cars) at the mansion they filmed Interview With A Vampire.

I also had a "brush with fame" with Christopher Penn. When the filming of Too Wong Foo was going on he was staying at the Residence Inn behind what was at one time the Cellar Bar on 70th and O streets (It was torn down and is now a Best Buy). He came into the Cellar Bar which was a favorite hangout back in the day. Bought me a my friend a beer and sat down with us and chatted all night. Of course since some of the cast and crew had been going in there frequently we made an effort to go in there every night. Penn would come in every night. One night he got so drunk and rowdy they asked him to leave. He went outside into the parking lot, stuck a finger down his throat to make himself throw up and came right back in ready for more. There was a night that Patrick Swayze came in with crew members, but he didn't seem approachable.

I have too many Husker player/coach brushes that it would take up too much space.

Reactions: leodisflowers

I thought it was cool listening to the memorial to Sir David at King's College this past Christmas Eve--via the BBC broadcast, I should add.

Met Cheech and Chong...don't remember much afterward.

Saw Muhammad Ali in Fairbanks, Alaska.

Saw Merle Haggard in Fairbanks, Alaska.

Flew into LAX with John Lithgow...sat right behind him.

My daughter inherited Elvis Presley's autograph from her grandmother.

I once met Bill Randby at Children's hospital in Omaha. I remember every detail of meeting him...

Yeah, I have met a lot of people in my life. I am comfortable talking with anyone. However, when I was 9 years old I had the oportunity to meet the President of the United States. My father was a hospital administrator at Bergan Mercy Hospital in Omaha and had special clearance (which meant I had special clearance -- lol). Ford for was there for a groundbreaking ceremony on a new wing for the hospital (we kept the nickel plated shovel he used) on his 1976 campaign for the U.S. President. That's me with the snazzy pants. The thing I remember most is that his hand was really clammy.

boxes_ford_1976_zpst8vcbgdl.jpg

Reactions: Cosmoc
I forgot one. I was really young and on vacation with my family. We were at a Howard Johnson to spend the night (I think in South Dakota but not sure). In waltzes this weird looking chubby guy, playing a ukulele into the hotel when we were checking in. Yup, it was Tiny Tim. I had no damn idea who he was, my parents had to explain it to us.

Yeah, I have met a lot of people in my life. I am comfortable talking with anyone. However, when I was 9 years old I had the oportunity to meet the President of the United States. My father was a hospital administrator at Bergan Mercy Hospital in Omaha and had special clearance (which meant I had special clearance -- lol). Ford for was there for a groundbreaking ceremony on a new wing for the hospital (we kept the nickel plated shovel he used) on his 1976 campaign for the U.S. President. That's me with the snazzy pants. The thing I remember most is that his hand was really clammy.

boxes_ford_1976_zpst8vcbgdl.jpg
Nice pants!!!!
BTW, I think by that time he had survived TWO assassination attempts!

I forgot one. I was really young and on vacation with my family. We were at a Howard Johnson to spend the night (I think in South Dakota but not sure). In waltzes this weird looking chubby guy, playing a ukulele into the hotel when we were checking in. Yup, it was Tiny Tim. I had no damn idea who he was, my parents had to explain it to us.
That HAD to have left a scar!

2016 - Just got done rolling (training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) with Phil Brooks aka CM Punk (Ex WWE champion and current UFC fighter) a few mins ago.

2015 - Drank a 1945 Rivesaltes in Monterey with Valentino Balboni (most famous name in Lamborghini)

2014 - formula 1 driver Alexander Rossi drove my car with me sitting shotgun on the way to lunch. Only American in the world with a current Formula One license.

All time.....
Maybe the coolest one was playing Uno and drinking beer with Channing Tatum before he became famous back around 2002. We met at LaGuardia sitting next to each other at the bar and started chatting during a 4 hour delay. Bartender didnt have cards but the gift shop had Uno. So we played for a few hours and drank beer. We actually took a pic of it because we were laughing about two dudes playing Uno. A few years later I saw his face on tv and was like "That's Channing from the airport. Holy crap!!!"

He was an aspiring actor and had just done a modeling shoot in Brazil and was coming home. Good dude so I was happy to see him make it.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Have met some bands over the years:

Cool ones:
Sevendust, several times
Nickelback (They actually played the Grove way back when and they were relatively unknown yet. They bought beer and crown for everyone. Was pretty cool, even if they're terrible now.)
Lit
Stereomud
Theory of a Deadman

Not cool:
-Linkin Park, all but the rapper were dbs
-Union Underground

Mine doesn't qualify under the OP's rules, but last year I was on a flight from London to Chicago, standing in line for the bathroom, look at the guy behind me and it's.... the Reverend Jesse Jackson. I nodded and said "Hi". So that's interacting, huh? He's a pretty big dude.

I drove TO around on several occasions when he was congressman and talked with him on the phone often. I worked for him.

I go to my uncle's place in MT a couple times a year. William Devane has a place just up the road. I see and chat with him at the local hangout a lot and ended up doing a shot of Jameson with him last time. Very cool guy and down to earth. Drives an '04 Tacoma. He is quite funny, too.

Mine doesn't qualify under the OP's rules, but last year I was on a flight from London to Chicago, standing in line for the bathroom, look at the guy behind me and it's.... the Reverend Jesse Jackson. I nodded and said "Hi". So that's interacting, huh? He's a pretty big dude.
You racist!

I have not the interactions with the celebrities. Nor do I have any desire to seek out the celebrities. They will come to me when I am the all powerful.

Reactions: jimbosc
I have an awesome Jenna Jameson story that I can't share.
I played basketball with Deion Sanders and Jerome Bettis before they went and did a taping of MTV's The Grind
Had a former Nebraska Football player (from the 90's that I can't name) pull a pistol on me. Some girls in our apartment complex in the middle of the night started screaming like crazy and one called us and said someone is breaking in to their basement apartment. I went one way to the back of the apartment, and the player went the other way. Somehow, I got their first and turned and looked and he was running and had a pistol in his hand running full speed right at me. Realized that crapping your pants is just not a metaphorical term at that moment...

Whadya got? Whodya know?
Colin Powell is probably one of the most famous. Visited with him one on one for 20 minutes. Met and visited briefly with Gerald Ford. Comedian George Burns. Know one US senator fairly well and have met 2 others including a majority leader. Lots of sports figures.

I go to my uncle's place in MT a couple times a year. William Devane has a place just up the road. I see and chat with him at the local hangout a lot and ended up doing a shot of Jameson with him last time. Very cool guy and down to earth. Drives an '04 Tacoma. He is quite funny, too.
i knew his nephew when i was a kid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT