ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Bourbon drinkers?

Just poured a huge glass of McKenna 10 year single barrel. Can't say I recommend it for the price but it'll do for tonight!

One more bourbon post
Penelope rio is in high demand down here
And I just made a trade for a 700 ml Blanton Gold with Japanese ? Writing on bar code
WTH

Went in to Total Wine today to replace my Woodford Reserve and pick up a six of some good German lager. As I'm checking out, I'm talking to the store manager and we're commiserating about not being able to get Longrow and Springbank 10. I then ask him about Buffalo Trace. Guy points to a shelf in the distance. SCORE.

Xl7P2Xb.jpg

Last edited:
Went in to Total Wine today to replace my Woodford Reserve and pick up a six of some good German lager. As I'm checking out, I'm talking to the store manager and were commiserating about not being able to get Longrow and Springbank 10. I then ask him about Buffalo Trace. Guy points to a shelf in the distance. SCORE.

Xl7P2Xb.jpg
Did you get his number?

Went in to Total Wine today to replace my Woodford Reserve and pick up a six of some good German lager. As I'm checking out, I'm talking to the store manager and were commiserating about not being able to get Longrow and Springbank 10. I then ask him about Buffalo Trace. Guy points to a shelf in the distance. SCORE.

Xl7P2Xb.jpg
That orange handsoap dries out my skin. I like something with lavender in it.

Xl7P2Xb.jpg

Why did you ask him about Buffalo Trace?

That's like asking a grocery store worker about Dr. Pepper.

The latest iteration of Kirkland Single Barrel should be hitting Costco right now or very soon depending on where you live. That's something you should look for.

Nobody asked you.

To each their own. I've never seen somebody so excited to find a common bottle that's closer to a mixer than a fine product.

Sazerac Rye and Buffalo Trace are like the Colorado Buffaloes of bourbon. A lot of hype and little substance. They're like the 4 star that you're excited to read about that ends up sitting on the bench for 4 years.

At least you picked up some Woodford.

To each their own. I've never seen somebody so excited to find a common bottle that's closer to a mixer than a fine product.

Sazerac Rye and Buffalo Trace are like the Colorado Buffaloes of bourbon. A lot of hype and little substance. They're like the 4 star that you're excited to read about that ends up sitting on the bench for 4 years.

At least you picked up some Woodford.
I feel like you're the only one who feels that way. You've said this opinion before and I've disagreed with you then. I like Buffalo Trace. Personally, I wouldn't buy any whiskey that was labeled Kirkland. But that's just my opinion, man.

As for asking the manager for a specific whiskey, Buffalo Trace is hard to come by, even for it's very affordable price. So, I did a celebration dance when he said it was on the shelf. Because most normal people think it's great for the price.

I feel like you're the only one who feels that way. You've said this opinion before and I've disagreed with you then. I like Buffalo Trace. Personally, I wouldn't buy any whiskey that was labeled Kirkland. But that's just my opinion, man.

As for asking the manager for a specific whiskey, Buffalo Trace is hard to come by, even for it's very affordable price. So, I did a celebration dance when he said it was on the shelf. Because most normal people think it's great for the price.
BT is a great everyday sipper.. in fact, gonna poor me a couple fingers right now

Thank you for a more appropriate response. I am most definitely not the only one who feels this way. Just google overrated bourbon and see what pops up. Buffalo Trace is the low-hanging fruit of that bunch. Dingle's favorite seems to be the real punching bag when it comes to what people believe is overrated.

But again, to each their own. I just find it comical how many people hype it up and act like they hit the lottery when they buy it. I tried it many, many years ago after trying just about every other sub-$30 bourbon out there and it doesn't distinguish itself in any way, shape, or form from other bourbons in that category. I can also find it in about 20 different grocery stores and drug stores and liquor stores in a 15 mile radius. It's just not that hard to find, but I don't live in the boons so maybe it's different for you.

The nicest thing I can say about it is I like that pleasant cherry nose. I think Eagle Rare is probably the best of the bunch if you can find it around $30. I actually had some last night and it fell short of the McKenna Single Barrel, which is also 10 years old, but I got the Eagle Rare for half the price so I'd say it's a much better value (if you can get it at the price I did).

Cracks me up hearing you and others say you'd never buy Kirkland brand when it's sourced from Sazerac distilleries.RollingLaugh

I have never heard anyone talk bad about BT

And Kirkland booze is great.

I wouldn't say BT is bad...it's just overhyped and overrated by people that are easily susceptible to marketing. It's more of what the kids these days would call "mid." Just an average pour.

Reactions: SuperBigFan

As for asking the manager for a specific whiskey, Buffalo Trace is hard to come by, even for its very affordable price. So, I did a celebration dance when he said it was on the shelf. Because most normal people think it's great for the price.
Have you ever had benchmark? It’s made at Buffalo trace with same mash bill as BT & Eagle Rare, but easy to find and under $20

I wouldn't say BT is bad...it's just overhyped and overrated by people that are easily susceptible to marketing. It's more of what the kids these days would call "mid." Just an average pour.
Admittedly I do not have a sophisticated pallet. About the only one I can tell for sure is Wild Turkey, because that stuff smells like Xmas! I love it.

Other than that, I don't really notice or can't tell differences. I have never been able to get into "sipping" booze, I mix it (play with my giant vag) and drink it that way.

• Haha
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Admittedly I do not have a sophisticated pallet. About the only one I can tell for sure is Wild Turkey, because that stuff smells like Xmas! I love it.

Other than that, I don't really notice or can't tell differences. I have never been able to get into "sipping" booze, I mix it (play with my giant vag) and drink it that way.

I've said it before in this thread, but back when all I could afford was sub-$30 bourbon, Wild Turkey 101 was the clear winner out of everything I tried. Best on the rocks and best neat in that price range. Also 101 proof versus the 80-90 proof a lot of the others are.

I've said it before in this thread, but back when all I could afford was sub-$30 bourbon, Wild Turkey 101 was the clear winner out of everything I tried. Best on the rocks and best neat in that price range. Also 101 proof versus the 80-90 proof a lot of the others are.
WT is amazing, I hardly ever buy brown stuff, I buy vodka, but if I am going to get brown stuff it will be WT. I don't know if you mix it ever but WT with Dr. Pepper is like drinking a gingerbread man.

Yes yes, I know, I have sexual issues, but still, try it.

What’s an excellent bourbon or scotch for around $100-120 and easy to find. Looking for recommendations…

As I’ve found with good wine, different people like different things. I’ve had less expensive Bourbons that I like as much as Blanton’s. The point was that somebody was GIVING me Blanton’s. I had a Woodford Reserve that was probably my favorite. I think it was double oaked? It had a smooth and Smokey flavor I thought. I need to actually buy one of those again. Seems like it was aged 15 years.

I haven’t bought Bourbon for years though because people keep giving me different bottles of Bourbon including Blanton’s. The most recent one is Uncle Nearest 1856. There haven’t been many bourbons I haven’t liked. Wine on the other hand…. There’ are some crappy $150+ bottles of wine being sold.

Reactions: king_kong_
As I’ve found with good wine, different people like different things. I’ve had less expensive Bourbons that I like as much as Blanton’s. The point was that somebody was GIVING me Blanton’s. I had a Woodford Reserve that was probably my favorite. I think it was double oaked? It had a smooth and Smokey flavor I thought. I need to actually buy one of those again. Seems like it was aged 15 years.

I haven’t bought Bourbon for years though because people keep giving me different bottles of Bourbon including Blanton’s. The most recent one is Uncle Nearest 1856. There haven’t been many bourbons I haven’t liked. Wine on the other hand…. There’ are some crappy $150+ bottles of wine being sold.
Truth. Three of my very favorites are not expensive. Coopers Craft 100 Proof is awesome and is around $30 a bottle. Blue Note 120 Proof Juke Joint is also outstanding. Less than $50. Four Roses Small Batch is less than 40.
All great on the rocks.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Mix that with a little Bacardi 151 and you've got the Al Bundy!

Was walking thru my local Total Wine last week and looked up and saw they had an Eagle Rare 10 Year for $41.99. Had to buy it at that price.

Yesterday I was walking thru my local Total Wine and looked up and saw they had a Blanton’s Single Barrel for $79.99. Price has gone up but I still had to buy it at that price. ($179.99 at the local liquor store)

Sometimes you get lucky! :Cool:

Was walking thru my local Total Wine last week and looked up and saw they had an Eagle Rare 10 Year for $41.99. Had to buy it at that price.

Yesterday I was walking thru my local Total Wine and looked up and saw they had a Blanton’s Single Barrel for $79.99. Price has gone up but I still had to buy it at that price. ($179.99 at the local liquor store)

I now have 3 unopened bottles of Blanton’s single barrel. I have a drinking problem as in not enough. 🥴

• Wow
Reactions: HBK4life
I now have 3 unopened bottles of Blanton’s single barrel. I have a drinking problem as in not enough. 🥴

Picked up a case of Stagg along with 2 bottles of Blanton's at Sam's Club last week. They were selling the Stagg for $42 a bottle. Just let me know when you need the Blanton's @dinglefritz

Plan on opening a Stagg once we get bowl-eligible.

Picked up a case of Stagg along with 2 bottles of Blanton's at Sam's Club last week. They were selling the Stagg for $42 a bottle. Just let me know when you need the Blanton's @dinglefritz

Plan on opening a Stagg once we get bowl-eligible.
Stagg Jr for $42 .. wow!! What state are you in ?

Good for you .. my local wine and more doesn’t put this stuff on the shelve

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT