ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best MMA fighters of all time

They fought twice. The first was Brocks first fight in the UFC after only a couple other MMA fights. They threw him to the wolves with a killer. Brock was beating Mir's butt but they separated the two when Brock kept hammer fisting him in the back(ish) area of the head while on the ground. Mir set him up and went in on a leg lock and Brock tapped very quickly. The second fight, Brock beat the crap out of Mir which was impressive considering how good Mir was. Size was a big factor, but Mir was famous for KO-ing dudes one week and ripping guys arms in half the next time through. Him and Nogeira were legendary fights. Dude just about crippled Nogeira the second go around, and Nog was probably a better jiu-jitsu fighter. Not that night. Dude got his elbow turned backwards.
He f'd up Sylvia's arm too. Mir was a scary dude.

Yeah. Khabib is a ****in animal... He's number 2 for me right behind Jon Jones.
I put Khabib above that drunken roid user Jones. Khabib never lost a round and dispatched everyone in that division. Plus, he's a cool ****ing dude!
Anderson Silva has to be right in the mix.

I was briefly in Jon Jones social circle before he was famous. He was a nice, funny and very humble. It was fun watching him rise and easy to root for him. Had no idea he would blow up the way he did. Who knows what caused him to change? Money, fame, drugs, the people around him, frontal lobe damage? Who knows, maybe all.
He's kind of an interesting study. Clearly has Superior athletic genetics with two brothers in the NFL. I think he went to Iowa Central community college to wrestle juco and was then going to wrestle for Iowa State, but then got sidetracked by MMA. He was learning moves from watching YouTube.

They fought twice. The first was Brocks first fight in the UFC after only a couple other MMA fights. They threw him to the wolves with a killer. Brock was beating Mir's butt but they separated the two when Brock kept hammer fisting him in the back(ish) area of the head while on the ground. Mir set him up and went in on a leg lock and Brock tapped very quickly. The second fight, Brock beat the crap out of Mir which was impressive considering how good Mir was. Size was a big factor, but Mir was famous for KO-ing dudes one week and ripping guys arms in half the next time through. Him and Nogeira were legendary fights. Dude just about crippled Nogeira the second go around, and Nog was probably a better jiu-jitsu fighter. Not that night. Dude got his elbow turned backwards.
Would have loved to see Royce vs someone like Frank Mir in UFC 1. Would have been interesting to see how Royce would have fared against a much bigger guy who was well versed in jujitsu and also a good striker.

He's kind of an interesting study. Clearly has Superior athletic genetics with two brothers in the NFL. I think he went to Iowa Central community college to wrestle juco and was then going to wrestle for Iowa State, but then got sidetracked by MMA. He was learning moves from watching YouTube.
He had a chance to have a spectacular career and legacy. Instead, he traded it in as a troubled guy who pissed away a lot of his career and money by doing the alcohol, drugs, and steroid gig.

I've never rooted for the guy, and never will.

Those were the days like 2008 through 2012. The light heavyweight division was stacked. Then you had Brock Lesnar in the Heavyweights. GSP killing it in the welterweights. BJ Penn. Those guys had way more personality back then. UFC is much more corporate now but every now and then they still have an old old school scrap.
Being as how Anderson Silva was so dominant at 185, surprised he didn't fight at 205 more often and challenge for the 205 belt.

Would have loved to see Royce vs someone like Frank Mir in UFC 1. Would have been interesting to see how Royce would have fared against a much bigger guy who was well versed in jujitsu and also a good striker.
Royce wasn't even the best Gracie brother at the time. Those early days of UFC, nobody knew what the heck BJJ even was, let alone know how to defend it. A guy like Mir would have killed Royce Gracie. Years after those early days, Royce fought champion Matt Hughes who technically didn't even have a jiu-jitsu belt (although he stopped many guys using high level jiu-jitsu). Hughes was just a country strong wrestler who was far better at jiu-jitsu than his lack of belt would suggest. Hughes easily defeated him. At one point of the fight, he popped Royce's elbow out with an arm lock and Royce didn't tap. He just repositioned and put it back in on the fly. Shortly after that, Hughes took his neck and ended it.

2nd best fighter after Anderson Silva.

As far as Jones being a dirty fighter, the only thing I find sketchy is the knee kicks. The eye pokes are accidental and the 12-6 elbows although technically illegal are no more dangerous than any other kind of elbow.

He has an 83" reach which is absurd for anything less than heavyweight and a huge advantage for not only striking but leverage in grappling. Most of his career was built on beating up smaller fighters. His biggest tests were against guys around his height and reach. Definitely lost to Reyes in their fight and the Swedish guy nearly beat him to death.

Reactions: drubendall
Royce wasn't even the best Gracie brother at the time. Those early days of UFC, nobody knew what the heck BJJ even was, let alone know how to defend it. A guy like Mir would have killed Royce Gracie. Years after those early days, Royce fought champion Matt Hughes who technically didn't even have a jiu-jitsu belt (although he stopped many guys using high level jiu-jitsu). Hughes was just a country strong wrestler who was far better at jiu-jitsu than his lack of belt would suggest. Hughes easily defeated him. At one point of the fight, he popped Royce's elbow out with an arm lock and Royce didn't tap. He just repositioned and put it back in on the fly. Shortly after that, Hughes took his neck and ended it.
Matt Hughes might not have had a rank in jujitsu, but I believe that his training partners, Pat Militich and Jeremy Horn were black belts in jujitsu.

I was briefly in Jon Jones social circle before he was famous. He was a nice, funny and very humble. It was fun watching him rise and easy to root for him. Had no idea he would blow up the way he did. Who knows what caused him to change? Money, fame, drugs, the people around him, frontal lobe damage? Who knows, maybe all.
Honestly I think to people he loves (maybe not his gf he beat in Vegas), Jon is probably an extremely nice guy. He's big into the law of attraction and visualization so I think he really prepares to fight like it's to the death. The jumping sidekick to the side of the knee for example, he said in an interview that "they're trying to punch me in the head, I don't mind giving someone a limp for the rest of their life". Also the fact he uses eye pokes and shoulder wrenches.

I'm 100% convinced in that final fight with Daniel Cormier, if there wasn't a referee to stop him he would of killed him live on national television.

Anderson in his prime would have destroyed GSP if they had fought. I think Anderson Silva vs Jon Jones would have been a better fight.
Not even close. GSP would have kicked him worse than Sonnen did. Silva couldn’t handle wrestlers. Him vs bones has to be a joke…

Being as how Anderson Silva was so dominant at 185, surprised he didn't fight at 205 more often and challenge for the 205 belt.
Who did Silva beat that was worth a crap? Old Vitor? School Teacher guy twice? First half decent guy beat him into submission for 4:45 then another wrestler knocked him cold then broke his leg.

Who did Silva beat that was worth a crap? Old Vitor? School Teacher guy twice? First half decent guy beat him into submission for 4:45 then another wrestler knocked him cold then broke his leg.
Vitor, the same Vitor that nearly submitted Jon Jones with an armbar. The "school teacher guy" as you call him is Rich Franklin. The same Rich Franklin who beat Chuck Liddell and Ken Shamrock. The same Rich Franklin who beat Wanderlei twice.

Reactions: WHCSC
Vitor, the same Vitor that nearly submitted Jon Jones with an armbar. The "school teacher guy" as you call him is Rich Franklin. The same Rich Franklin who beat Chuck Liddell and Ken Shamrock. The same Rich Franklin who beat Wanderlei twice.
Rich Franklin was one of my favorites. I really wanted to see him win a title. He got so close

I liked watching Chuck for the simple fact he just wildly threw haymakers. And when he did connect ouch. Ask Ortiz and Silva. Pretty sure he was a shell of himself when Franklin knocked him out. If I remember correctly Dana White said he was finished after that match.

Gracie was 40 and was past his prime, Hughes was 32 and in his.

Gracie also was very successful when he could wear the gi and was able to grip the dry cloth to maintain grip on his BJJ holds and chokes.

Reactions: moralvictories
I liked watching Chuck for the simple fact he just wildly threw haymakers. And when he did connect ouch. Ask Ortiz and Silva. Pretty sure he was a shell of himself when Franklin knocked him out. If I remember correctly Dana White said he was finished after that match.
He fought Tito after that, Tito knocked Chuck out cold.

Gracie was 40 and was past his prime, Hughes was 32 and in his.

Gracie also was very successful when he could wear the gi and was able to grip the dry cloth to maintain grip on his BJJ holds and chokes.
True. However, I don't think wearing a gi would have changed the outcome of the Matt Hughes fight. Hughes was never in Royce's guard and completely dominated the fight in all phases.

Just watched part of a terrible B movie where Liddell was the bad guy. As far as acting goes, he sure was a good fighter!
I ran across a low budget D-Day movie starring Chuck Liddell and Randy couture as generals for the allies on Amazon Prime. Probably going to miss that one. Glad to see he's working. He had an easy ambassadors job with UFC, but buddy Dana White had to fire him for being a no show. He was a pretty elite college wrestler, but changed his mma game to just going for knockouts.

Reactions: mgbreis
True. However, I don't think wearing a gi would have changed the outcome of the Matt Hughes fight. Hughes was never in Royce's guard and completely dominated the fight in all phases.
agree, I was attempting to address two issues at once. One being he was past his prime in the Hughes fight and the other to address him as a fighter in his prime.

Reactions: moralvictories
agree, I was attempting to address two issues at once. One being he was past his prime in the Hughes fight and the other to address him as a fighter in his prime.
I'm not surprised that Matt Hughes beat Royce Gracie. I was surprised by the way he beat Royce Gracie. He out jujitsu-ed Royce.

Reactions: resdog851
Cans…each of them.
Jon Jones had his arm pop and hyperextended and then proceeded to torture Vitor. Not defending Jon Jones and his steroid use, but when Vitor popped his Testosterone levels (at his peak) was 1427. An average 32 year old male is around 400 and 500 MAX. See what Vitor looked like after he got popped?

Cans…each of them.
Speaking of cans, what about how GSP got knocked out by Matt Serra? What about how GSP got bruised and battered by Johnny Hendricks? If those cans can knock GSP around, imagine what a real fighter like Anderson Silva would do to GSP.

Oh yeah, GSP lost to a can named Matt Hughes the first time they fought. Geez if a can like Matt Hughes beat GSP, Anderson Silva would make GSP look like Forrest Griffin.
Would have been an interesting fight. UFC never pushed to make it happen IMO and it seemed like GSP avoided him. GSP got good at closing the distance with guys his size. But Silva might deliver a knee to the temple and send you to the canvas.

Jon Jones had his arm pop and hyperextended and then proceeded to torture Vitor. Not defending Jon Jones and his steroid use, but when Vitor popped his Testosterone levels (at his peak) was 1427. An average 32 year old male is around 400 and 500 MAX. See what Vitor looked like after he got popped?
Yep, take roids out of Vitor and he was a can. Jones fought with a toe mostly torn off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT