ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Metallica song

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
Well, this is mine, hands down. I asked a younger dude (41 years old) what his favorite Metallica song was. His response? Breadfan. WTF? I had to go look that up. He was rocking a Metallica tshirt and it was embarrassing that his favorite Metallica song was breadfan. LOL

Last edited:
Eye of the beholder is up there for me too but probably The small hours off of Garage Days. Sanitarium pretty solid too. Anything after the Black album is garbage

Reactions: Husker Todd
One, Enter Sandman and Master of Puppets are clearly their best but like anything else because those 3 songs are super popular, this weird thing happens where "true fans" of Metallica have to pretend like they don't like those songs.

Without those 3 songs, Metallica is basically Slayer, a band that would be around for 35 years with a nice following but no radio play, no videos and not playing in front of 60,000 fans every night.

"She's my cherry pie" or "she's only 17"....toss up.

Enter Sandman
Kip Winger, by all accounts is the nicest guy in music, and later on caught some flack for "she's only 17" and he said he had no idea because the law in Colorado (I think) was 17 and he didn't know it was 18 like everywhere else, or something like that.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Well, this is mine, hands down. I asked a younger dude (41 years old) what his favorite Metallica song was. His response? Breadfan. WTF? I had to go look that up. He was rocking a Metallica tshirt and it was embarrassing that his favorite Metallica song was breadfan. LOL
Technically Breadfan is by Budgie. I will take Creeping Death or Seek and Destroy. These guys went down hill fast after the black album.

Metallica's best of should be divided "Pre-Cliff dying/Post Cliff". They were much better with Cliff. Ride The Lightning and Master are monsters. I almost suspect that Cliff kept Lars in line. Later on with Justice, Lars had the producers turn down Jason Newstead's bass on One. It is crazy that a song that good is so void of bass.

Here is a great song that I had running through my brain last summer on a roadtrip. I stayed at a former hospital in Lava Hot Springs, ID. It was built for returning WW1 wounded soldiers to rehab. They have a variety of soaking pools around the outside. The hotel was supposedly haunted. I layed in my bed that night waiting for some wounded Belleau Wood Marine to walk into my room that night, but it never happened. Still really cool experience.

Metallica's best of should be divided "Pre-Cliff dying/Post Cliff". They were much better with Cliff. Ride The Lightning and Master are monsters. I almost suspect that Cliff kept Lars in line. Later on with Justice, Lars had the producers turn down Jason Newstead's bass on One. It is crazy that a song that good is so void of bass.

Here is a great song that I had running through my brain last summer on a roadtrip. I stayed at a former hospital in Lava Hot Springs, ID. It was built for returning WW1 wounded soldiers to rehab. They have a variety of soaking pools around the outside. The hotel was supposedly haunted. I layed in my bed that night waiting for some wounded Belleau Wood Marine to walk into my room that night, but it never happened. Still really cool experience.

Not a fan of Limp Bizkit and Fred Durst is a tool but they killed it covering Sanitarium at the tribute show.

Not a fan of Limp Bizkit and Fred Durst is a tool but they killed it covering Sanitarium at the tribute show.
4hoq34.jpg

I have an inferiority complex about Metallica in that I've loved them for a long time, but I KNOW I'm not a hardcore fan compared to their true fans. I'd probably have to say my favorite is One, just because I saw that video on MTV in the late 80's and was like, "WTF WAS THAT?" It was awesome. Didn't really get acquainted with earlier stuff until later. A close second is Master of Puppets.

I have an inferiority complex about Metallica in that I've loved them for a long time, but I KNOW I'm not a hardcore fan compared to their true fans. I'd probably have to say my favorite is One, just because I saw that video on MTV in the late 80's and was like, "WTF WAS THAT?" It was awesome. Didn't really get acquainted with earlier stuff until later. A close second is Master of Puppets.
I am sort of the same way. I never listened to any Metallica until years after they were cool. Thank God for Headbangers Ball. That is where I heard One the first time and loved it. Loved that whole show. I discovered metal was pretty cool. Years later when I was in the Marines, we would have a company or battalion run every friday morning. I was in Headquarters my last year and pogue Marines were a different breed than grunt Marines that I was used to being around. I had a shitty S-10 pickup that had giant speakers and amp installed. So naturally, every Friday morning me and my fellow grunt buddies would roll into formation with Ride The Lightning blasted to 11 like a bunch of assholes. The rest of the office Marines would just stare at us in disgust. We didn't care. It seemed our 1st Sgt didn't either because we were never told to turn it down.

Great choice Boxes, I would put that up there as one of my favorites. Picking my favorite is too hard, it comes down to my mood and how I’m feeling. So I will go with these two, Fade To Black really spoke to me during some dark times in my youth and Master of Puppets I really related to through my late teens into my mid twenties, as I struggled with alcoholism and drug addiction. I believe both these songs helped me get through the tough times knowing there were others out there who felt those struggles, like I did.

I assume you mean post Cliff Burton, because the best version of Metallica hands down was with Cliff. I will throw hands with anyone who says he wasn’t one of the best bassists of all-time.

Les Claypool told a funny story about when Metallica was auditioning bass players after Cliff died. He went in and was doing some weird fusion jazz stuff knowing full well he would never be selected. Turns out he was correct. Those two guys are decidedly much different in their styles. Les is a bad man though. Super cool sound. I heard him in person a couple years ago when Slayer was in town. Primus was awesome and Les was a nut. Great show.

Reactions: Husker Todd
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT