ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Anyone got a nice home for sale in West Omaha?

This isn't the top and we have to buy now, or 5 months from now. There is a drop dead date.

We just made our first official offer on a home that has been on market for all of 9hrs, we are competiting with at least two others and offered 10K over asking and prolly still won't get it. People advising to wait are out of touch with the market.
That sounds like what was happening last year in Florida. Each market is certainly different. Prices are starting to come down already in certain parts of Florida. When the Fed raises rates this year (3 times they are saying), prices will come down even more.

If the govt can keep the southern border open and illegals coming in, this should continue to create additional inflation demand for housing and other services in general.. maybe they can keep prices elevated for awhile longer?

Anyway, good luck with your purchase.

I'd buy it for sure but where is the mountain bike park? That's the only thing holding me back from calling right now and making an offer. I need to know that first.

If you're in Bennington, not far from calvin crest in Fremont which has some pretty cool trails.

If you're in Bennington, not far from calvin crest in Fremont which has some pretty cool trails.

That was the place I thought he might have been talking about, but it was just a little bit too far so I didn't think that was it.....I have been there many times and it's great

Reactions: cubsker
That sounds like what was happening last year in Florida. Each market is certainly different. Prices are starting to come down already in certain parts of Florida. When the Fed raises rates this year (3 times they are saying), prices will come down even more.

If the govt can keep the southern border open and illegals coming in, this should continue to create additional inflation demand for housing and other services in general.. maybe they can keep prices elevated for awhile longer?

Anyway, good luck with your purchase.
Yeah it's getting bad in a lot of places. Here in Raleigh, you better be prepared to have either all cash, or pay minimum 50K over the asking price. Houses aren't even hitting the market and are selling and we've actually had people knocking on our door to see if we would be interested in selling. We've been in our house 2 years and estimate we have added $200-225K in equity in 2 years. Just insane.

Side note - A lot of this is because there is a huge exodus of the Northeast. I'm not trying to be political on here, just stating facts as in our neighborhood the amount of New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania plates that are moving in is unreal.

If 2 hours northwest of West O is still close enough, I have a 5BR, 3-car garage you can look at. Plenty of wide open spaces for mountain biking.

For those of you interested in this kind of thing, and I'm one of them...I listed my home a few weeks ago. Hit MLS on Wed bout noon, with showings for that upcoming Saturday only, we had 50 scheduled repped by relators showings in one day. Before Saturday even got here, by Friday evening we had 3 blind offers all well over asking, I declined all 3 and decided to let process play out. After the 50 different parties looked at my home, I had 13 pre-qualified written offers Saturday night. Ended up with a cash offer worth tens of thousands over asking, no inspection.

I got into it a little bit on the other forum here a few weeks ago by a couple guys reading a redfin article and surmising that real estate has only gone up 24% in 3 years, no matter how much of my personal story of buying a new home right now and selling mine I shared, they were convinced an article knew more than myself and my realtor.

I find it rather concerning that the dream of home ownership is going to be just that, a dream for many people. Affordable housing is a real need right now and this is not going to be solved at this rate and apartment rents are now creeping up because there is no threat of tenants leaving to buy a home.

For those of you interested in this kind of thing, and I'm one of them...I listed my home a few weeks ago. Hit MLS on Wed bout noon, with showings for that upcoming Saturday only, we had 50 scheduled repped by relators showings in one day. Before Saturday even got here, by Friday evening we had 3 blind offers all well over asking, I declined all 3 and decided to let process play out. After the 50 different parties looked at my home, I had 13 pre-qualified written offers Saturday night. Ended up with a cash offer worth tens of thousands over asking, no inspection.

I got into it a little bit on the other forum here a few weeks ago by a couple guys reading a redfin article and surmising that real estate has only gone up 24% in 3 years, no matter how much of my personal story of buying a new home right now and selling mine I shared, they were convinced an article knew more than myself and my realtor.

I find it rather concerning that the dream of home ownership is going to be just that, a dream for many people. Affordable housing is a real need right now and this is not going to be solved at this rate and apartment rents are now creeping up because there is no threat of tenants leaving to buy a home.
Where was your house that you sold?

By the Millard Airport
We're selling my dad's house right now. IMO it will need to be completely gutted and redone. It's ridiculously dated and filthy. Not listed yet but have a pre-approved offer for 225k as is. It's crazy. I wouldn't live in this house if you paid me 225k. I really feel sorry for new families looking for a "starter home." My first house was like 65k in west O. That probably won't get you a trailer these days.

We're selling my dad's house right now. IMO it will need to be completely gutted and redone. It's ridiculously dated and filthy. Not listed yet but have a pre-approved offer for 225k as is. It's crazy. I wouldn't live in this house if you paid me 225k. I really feel sorry for new families looking for a "starter home." My first house was like 65k in west O. That probably won't get you a trailer these days.

We looked at a home like that...it's still on the market. They want $325K, I wouldn't give 100K because everything is still as it was in 1970 when it was built and needs everything. Hard pass. I'm 53 and getting married, I want to live and play, not spend the next 2 years remodeling every evening and weekend.

I agree on the starter home thang...nobody is building those now. Everything is 350K and up, and over a year out....and that price doesn't get you a finished basement, so refer back to my "Two years to remodel" sentence. Hard pass.

Reactions: LightningJack
We looked at a home like that...it's still on the market. They want $325K, I wouldn't give 100K because everything is still as it was in 1970 when it was built and needs everything. Hard pass. I'm 53 and getting married, I want to live and play, not spend the next 2 years remodeling every evening and weekend.

I agree on the starter home thang...nobody is building those now. Everything is 350K and up, and over a year out....and that price doesn't get you a finished basement, so refer back to my "Two years to remodel" sentence. Hard pass.
They're still building "starter homes" but they're asking 350 for them. :mad:

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Lot of factors at play with this market putting everything in new territory. As long as Covid and the “solutions” continue on the coasts, I think we keep seeing people leave there so I agree that I at least think we don’t see Omaha crash hard. It didn’t crash as hard as most places in 2008 either.

However, I think you will see more inventory on the market when rates go up. They can always pull the rug out though. You saw a ton of hedge funds buy up neighborhoods and houses. That could be the next orchestrated crash if they all decide it’s time to sell at once.

I’ve been looking for another investment property around Omaha and am having a tough time convincing myself that it’s a good time to buy. I don’t believe this rate of inflation will continue, but the feds and the hedge funds like BlackRock can ultimately make it do whatever they want.

Time flies, sold mine two months ago for $200K. That's a starter home now, I know alot of people will/would struggle to buy that.

Lot of factors at play with this market putting everything in new territory. As long as Covid and the “solutions” continue on the coasts, I think we keep seeing people leave there so I agree that I at least think we don’t see Omaha crash hard. It didn’t crash as hard as most places in 2008 either.

However, I think you will see more inventory on the market when rates go up. They can always pull the rug out though. You saw a ton of hedge funds buy up neighborhoods and houses. That could be the next orchestrated crash if they all decide it’s time to sell at once.

I’ve been looking for another investment property around Omaha and am having a tough time convincing myself that it’s a good time to buy. I don’t believe this rate of inflation will continue, but the feds and the hedge funds like BlackRock can ultimately make it do whatever they want.

Horrible time to need a home. Sometimes you are a prisoner of the moment and we had to buy. Believe me it makes me very queasy to spend what we had to spend to get what we wanted.

Horrible time to need a home. Sometimes you are a prisoner of the moment and we had to buy. Believe me it makes me very queasy to spend what we had to spend to get what we wanted.
Yea it’s a different animal when your circumstances dictate it. Good luck man and congrats on the new wife. Got married recently myself! Love the stang by the way, I sold my 68 a few years ago.

Yea it’s a different animal when your circumstances dictate it. Good luck man and congrats on the new wife. Got married recently myself! Love the stang by the way, I sold my 68 a few years ago.

Thanks and congrats to you to!!

She is pretty amazing, much more than I deserve. She's a liberal, but since conservatives are so tolerant, we get along just peachy :)

Yeah it's getting bad in a lot of places. Here in Raleigh, you better be prepared to have either all cash, or pay minimum 50K over the asking price. Houses aren't even hitting the market and are selling and we've actually had people knocking on our door to see if we would be interested in selling. We've been in our house 2 years and estimate we have added $200-225K in equity in 2 years. Just insane.

Side note - A lot of this is because there is a huge exodus of the Northeast. I'm not trying to be political on here, just stating facts as in our neighborhood the amount of New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania plates that are moving in is unreal.
North Carolina has always been a haven for people from the NE; it was when I lived there 25 years ago. A lot of so called "halfbacks": people who move to Florida, decide it's too tropical or too far away and move to someplace in between like NC. FWIW I live in Alabama for the weather, definitely not the politics.

3D printing may bring the price and duration down considerably in the next 10 years. The future is to automate 80% of the home building process.

I think zoning is a bigger issue. There are movements at the federal level to limit building of single family residences.

Reactions: baseball31ne

Now I really feel bad. I was going to type " I'm getting older so I would have kept the car." But dang you're not that much younger than me and still mountain biking??

Hey man, congrats on getting married! I can understand your need to get a house as soon as possible. I've been through it myself, and I can tell you that, unless you're really lucky, you're going to have a hard time with your new place. In my opinion, building your own house is the best option. I know it will consume a lot of time, but at least you'll know what you're getting for your money. Make sure you estimate the cost before starting the project. You can do it free of charge on websites such as https://www.boutiquehomeplans.com/cost-to-build. Good luck, you'll need it!

Hey man, congrats on getting married! I can understand your need to get a house as soon as possible. I've been through it myself, and I can tell you that, unless you're really lucky, you're going to have a hard time with your new place. In my opinion, building your own house is the best option. I know it will consume a lot of time, but at least you'll know what you're getting for your money. Make sure you estimate the cost before starting the project. You can do it free of charge on websites such as https://www.boutiquehomeplans.com/cost-to-build. Good luck, you'll need it!
How does someone seriously post a different link in every single one of their posts? You are a loser.

• Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan
The west Omaha market is crazy right now. Get a good agent who knows the market/area you are interested in and be ready to act fast.

A family member works for Berkshire. Last Wed afternoon she listed a home in Millard, Thurs had over 50 showings, Friday received over 20 offers well over the asking price. The accepted offer was many thousands above the asking price. (BTW this house wasn't a mansion, but a normal looking home.)

Good luck!

The west Omaha market is crazy right now. Get a good agent who knows the market/area you are interested in and be ready to act fast.

A family member works for Berkshire. Last Wed afternoon she listed a home in Millard, Thurs had over 50 showings, Friday received over 20 offers well over the asking price. The accepted offer was many thousands above the asking price. (BTW this house wasn't a mansion, but a normal looking home.)

Good luck!

Mirrors what happened with mine, in Millard to. I mistakenly said earlier in this thread that Berkshire listed 74 homes in a week prior to us purchasing, that was actually for the month!! When I listed mine a few weeks ago there was a whopping 224 homes on the MLS total, as in all of Omaha. Remove the ones above 400K that I can't afford, and the crappers I want nothing to do with, and we were down to a very select few to choose from.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Mirrors what happened with mine, in Millard to. I mistakenly said earlier in this thread that Berkshire listed 74 homes in a week prior to us purchasing, that was actually for the month!! When I listed mine a few weeks ago there was a whopping 224 homes on the MLS total, as in all of Omaha. Remove the ones above 400K that I can't afford, and the crappers I want nothing to do with, and we were down to a very select few to choose from.
Are we sure it isn’t the same house?

I watch a few Omaha neighborhoods on Zillow. On Sunday morning I had a notification pop up on a sale. The listing had been active 11 minutes and was marked "contract pending."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT