ADVERTISEMENT

ot: Anyone ever spend any time in Ethiopia

I went to eygpt when mubarik was leader. Cairo and memphis seemed the worse. then when I got down to aswan people seemed more cool. (a lot of coptics in aswan).

but I had a tour guide, no way I would have did it on my own.

Never been to Ethiopia but something you might want to check into: sometimes these airports have secure luggage storage areas where you can check your carry-on bag and other belongings for a few hours. If you're going to leave the airport during your layover, it would be a good idea to take as little as possible with you. I've used the one in Lima (generally a nice city, but not the part near the airport) and it was well worth a few bucks' storage fee.

Never been to Ethiopia but something you might want to check into: sometimes these airports have secure luggage storage areas where you can check your carry-on bag and other belongings for a few hours. If you're going to leave the airport during your layover, it would be a good idea to take as little as possible with you. I've used the one in Lima (generally a nice city, but not the part near the airport) and it was well worth a few bucks' storage fee.
Yeah I did that in Athens 2 years ago when I had about the same amount of time. Check the carry on backpack into a locker. Totally worth it to not have all your stuff on your back.

Yeah I did that in Athens 2 years ago when I had about the same amount of time. Check the carry on backpack into a locker. Totally worth it to not have all your stuff on your back.

I have been to Moscow and St Pete a couple times had a Blast. Did it on my own rented apartments and you can guide yourself. Great place to visit. Turkey is also very cool but has changed some politically the last few years so I am not sure.

I have been to Moscow and St Pete a couple times had a Blast. Did it on my own rented apartments and you can guide yourself. Great place to visit. Turkey is also very cool but has changed some politically the last few years so I am not sure.

I loved Turkey. Was there right before the German bombing 3 years ago and have pictures right where it happened only a month later. Kind of eerie, but we had a blast over there. The people were great, and had no issues.

You'll definitely appreciate what you have more if you visit. The poverty people experience in this country doesn't even come close to what those people go through.

Visited 43 states and 30 countries. Went to Japan on my own in the spring. Never felt unsafe anywhere but I don’t do anything stupid either. Would not visit a Third World country but will continue to visit many others. We found that almost everyone is helpful and friendly to Americans. Act with respect and you will be treated with respect. I will admit there are places I will never go, but that list continues to shrink.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
Have to say...I was really surprised when I looked up pics of Ethiopia. Looks like parts of it are quite beautiful.

Visited 43 states and 30 countries. Went to Japan on my own in the spring. Never felt unsafe anywhere but I don’t do anything stupid either. Would not visit a Third World country but will continue to visit many others. We found that almost everyone is helpful and friendly to Americans. Act with respect and you will be treated with respect. I will admit there are places I will never go, but that list continues to shrink.

So, I just did a tally and I'm at 43 states and 10 countries. I just visited ten Texas towns last Saturday. I agree with the respect part.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Have to say...I was really surprised when I looked up pics of Ethiopia. Looks like parts of it are quite beautiful.

There are lot of Somolis in Minneapolis, but there are also a fair number of Eithiopians and the two groups are not at all similar.

The Eithiopians tend to be non-Muslim and very influenced by Western and European culture. The Eithiopians are very assimilated into American society and tend to work in Banking, Medical, hospitality, and other White/ Grey collar jobs. The women dress well, wear a fair amount of make up and can be very attractive.The ones I have interacted with are very professional and polished.

The Somolis are almost all Muslim, stay more within their closed society and are not especially assimilated in any way. Part of the issue is the conservative Muslim culture, the other issue is a lot of the them are older first generation immigrants that have a hard time moving out of their closed society as some of our relatives also did. (language, stubborn nature, ect) Some of the younger women are starting to show signs of independence and are ditching the robes and headcovers togeyther or wearing some pretty slinky outfits to skirt the rules. This is fairly brave as it can get them ostracized or even murdered in extreme cases. I have some hope for the Somolis, they did not come all the way to America to be oppressed and treated like they are in a conservative Muslim country by their own families... things are changing.

Historically the two groups did not get along too well, with Eithiopia dominating militarily. I suspect spending a few hours outside the airport in the Capital might be fairly safe.

Last edited:
I will have 8.5 hours..but really 5ish after the lines, paperwork, getting back in...I honestly just want to check out their national museum...Lucy is there...other than that maybe grab some food and head back to the airport

I will have 8.5 hours..but really 5ish after the lines, paperwork, getting back in...I honestly just want to check out their national museum...Lucy is there...other than that maybe grab some food and head back to the airport

Do it! Will be awesome.

I am starting to book my next big trip for next summer and the flight from Tel Aviv to Delhi has 10 hour layover in Addis Ababa so I want to get out and see a bit of the city. I see a transfer visa is still needed for the short stay and was curious if anyone has ever done this option
I have personally not been there, but my brother has an friend who was born in Ethiopia. He got married there last year, and my brother was in his wedding. He said it was an experience he would never forget and had a great time... I am sure just like any country (America included) you have your good places and bad places. Do your research, and find out what locations are good to visit and which places to stay clear of.

The one displayed isn't the original, but would still be an impressive exhibit to take in. Evolution is such an interesting topic to discuss...if you're not discussing it with simpletons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT