ADVERTISEMENT

ot: Anyone ever spend any time in Ethiopia

mwulf

Offensive Coordinator
Dec 15, 2013
Thigh Land
I am starting to book my next big trip for next summer and the flight from Tel Aviv to Delhi has 10 hour layover in Addis Ababa so I want to get out and see a bit of the city. I see a transfer visa is still needed for the short stay and was curious if anyone has ever done this option

I am starting to book my next big trip for next summer and the flight from Tel Aviv to Delhi has 10 hour layover in Addis Ababa so I want to get out and see a bit of the city. I see a transfer visa is still needed for the short stay and was curious if anyone has ever done this option
I hope you are not white and blonde. Mods don't lock this. I am serious. I thought about doing the Eastern African thing a few years ago. A cousin of mine who is very much in the know said forget it. He was in iraq and Dubai. With you're blonde hair you will be a target. And he was in the air traffic control. I stayed home.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

What airline are you booking this on, that would have
a 10 hour layover in a s__thole of a country? Make it
simple: Take a walking tour of the city, with a sign on
your back stating, I AM AN AMERICAN........

It cracks me up how so many people pretend to get upset when a country is ripped on...until they actually read/hear about someone thinking about going to one of those countries.

Do yourself a favor...sit in the "airport" during your layover and lay low. You will gain nothing during some 6 hour walk-about...but you might lose everything.

Hell, even those Poverty Tourism weirdos don't go to certain places.

It cracks me up how so many people pretend to get upset when a country is ripped on...until they actually read/hear about someone thinking about going to one of those countries.

Do yourself a favor...sit in the "airport" during your layover and lay low. You will gain nothing during some 6 hour walk-about...but you might lose everything.
I ventured out of the resort during the day in Cabo last year with the wife. No problems. Going to Montego Bay in a month and don't plan on venturing out of the resort. Too many bad stories out there. Not gonna chance it. But on the flip side myself and buddies been to some real sketchy border towns in Ciudad Acuna and Nuevo Laredo and usually had no problems. Buddy got taken for about 60 bucks with a "cop's" semi auto in his back.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
I ventured out of the resort during the day in Cabo last year with the wife. No problems. Going to Montego Bay in a month and don't plan on venturing out of the resort. Too many bad stories out there. Not gonna chance it. But on the flip side myself and buddies been to some real sketchy border towns in Ciudad Acuna and Nuevo Laredo and usually had no problems. Buddy got taken for about 60 bucks with a "cop's" semi auto in his back.

Yeah, Cabo is not all that bad...Good call about not venturing out while in MB.

Reactions: HBK4life
I did 3 days in Cairo last summer. 1 day in Addis from what I have read is not that uncommon if you have a long layover

I was gunna go there but I opted to go do a walking tour of Afghanistan while wearing my American flag t shirt instead.

But seriously. I'm walking into the old city of Jerusalem and one of my shipmates has this black leather jacket on with the American flag on the back and big letters spelling out USA on the sleeves. I thought he was a dipshit. I know they were in between intifadas while we were there, but that's just making yourself (and those around you -- ahem!) a walking target. Stupid.

og9aqZG.jpg

Mogadishu, you should go there. They have great surf. Oblivious Americans.

Are you going for a hunt? You would have a better chance. Don't go there. Read up on the civil wars and sectarian violence. What are the travel warnings for Africa? Go to the Cape of South America. At the very least give Sally Struthers some food.

Turkey and Russia are also on the itinerary.. The visa process is pain that's for sure .Thankfully I have airline miles so the flight to Budapest and back from Delhi are 1st class which is nice

Reactions: red scowl

I flew from Bahrain to the Azores to to Virgina. It took 24 real hours. Most of my flights between strongholds were chopper in the m.e. It's not a huge area.You can go to Egypt and Saudia Arabia. You will be relatively safe. Spend your time in Israel. Go to India. Africa is a no go, especially N. Africa. Good lord.

Yeah.. Lots of these places will have to be guided tours which can get expensive I usually like to wander off the beaten path but there are places that is not wise without a guide

Yeah.. Lots of these places will have to be guided tours which can get expensive I usually like to wander off the beaten path but there are places that is not wise without a guide

I understand you're a person of means, and spend the money necessary if you're going off the path. Do alot ot investigating on your guides. You might want to call the consulates in the countries you wish to travel through. They can give you alot of recommendations on guides. Some tourist organizations receive your information assess your wealth and will sell your info to organizations. Consulate attaches are basically gatherers. Wish you luck. Some of the places you're talking about are webs.

To be fair it's just a layover between Israel and India, nothing direct yet Everything I have read about Addis says it as safe as any major city. A direct flight would be ideal but other options as of now are Azerbaijan and Moscow

I'm looking at a lot of viator type options and guides or companies friends have used

I apologize for my earlier remarks. It's just I've seen, read and heard about people just disappearing in Africa, Pakistan along the crescent line and through to south eastern Egypt. I'm not wealthy, so I only know by my experience. Sounds awesome. Be cautious.

I apologize for my earlier remarks. It's just I've seen, read and heard about people just disappearing in Africa, Pakistan along the crescent line and through to south eastern Egypt. I'm not wealthy, so I only know by my experience. Sounds awesome. Be cautious.

You might want to notify each agent in each consulates country you travel through with dates and times, and which carrier you're using it's up to you and what countries your traveling through. Goodnight and safe travels.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
I just dont get the point. Its ok to realize some places just arent safe and be cautious. Too many stories of people going places with a `oh it cant be that bad nothing will happen` attitude and then something happens. Not saying you have that attitude but just be careful.

Ive spent some time at Ajora Falls. Good food!

This summer I went to Los Angeles... Decided to go off the usual tourist routes (Hollywood, the beaches, etc...). That place kinda felt like a 3rd world city in spots... Does that count? (Yes, I know I'm a sheltered person Laughing)

Might be pretty dangerous, I suggest a bike ride thru Tajikistan. Why spend money traveling to Ethiopia, if you wait a few more years Lutheran Services with bring Ethiopia to you.

I work with a guy from Ethiopa and he said you should be fine, but it might be a little difficult with only 6 hours. He said their airport can get hairy as far as time it takes to get through. Anyways. Since you are a seasoned traveler, you know that you will more than likely be fine. People who have never been to places fear monger, but most incidents that happen are isolated.

Reactions: arf_man
I work with a guy from Ethiopa and he said you should be fine, but it might be a little difficult with only 6 hours. He said their airport can get hairy as far as time it takes to get through. Anyways. Since you are a seasoned traveler, you know that you will more than likely be fine. People who have never been to places fear monger, but most incidents that happen are isolated.
Like the one that happened to kill Jake Young years ago.:(

Like the one that happened to kill Jake Young years ago.:(

I'm not saying it can't happen, but I've wandered around a ton of foreign countries that people that have never traveled hate on, and have had nothing but great experiences. I look at the US travel warnings, and make sure I don't stand out, but like I said a lot of places that people right off aren't actually that bad. Things can happen anywhere you go.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but I've wandered around a ton of foreign countries that people that have never traveled hate on, and have had nothing but great experiences. I look at the US travel warnings, and make sure I don't stand out, but like I said a lot of places that people right off aren't actually that bad. Things can happen anywhere you go.
I agree...I just look at it is this...you have a layover...if you go out and one stupid thing happens you maybe miss your flight...now the annoyance level amps up by about 1000.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT