ADVERTISEMENT

OT. Any Omaha pizza that is worthy?

That's because he was a top rated fast pitch pitcher. Fast pitch in Omaha was awesome for guys who still wanted the challenge of hitting like they they did in hardball. When slow pitch started, it was almost an unlimited height on pitching. Most hardball players struggled to hit it. So they they lowered the pitch height and now it is almost served on a platter. Fast pitch was awesome in Omaha and we had some of the best pitchers in the country here. Guys, look up Eddie Feigner and his court on the web and see the tricks that he could do. He was not from Omaha but was here almost yearly. Nasty pitches. Very hard to hit. Just my two cents from an old fast pitch player.
I played fast pitch at the Platt Duetsche in GI for a few years. It was so much fun until they our third baseman didn’t show up for a game. Guess who got that hot corner. WOW!

Reactions: frankluv
Have you had Rosati's yet? First pizza place that is as good as Mangia or at least comparable. It just opened up where Tom and Chee used to be On 144th and maple on the south side Not sure what you mean by American Style <- but Mangia is what I consider Italian style, maybe because I base it off of what my Italian mom used to make. You obviously know your stuff, I would definitely give them a try, I'm sure you'll add it to your tops list

I haven't eaten there yet, I should give it a try.

I played fast pitch at the Platt Duetsche in GI for a few years. It was so much fun until they our third baseman didn’t show up for a game. Guess who got that hot corner. WOW!
I played short and was used to the action in the infield and really enjoyed covering the bunts when I played third but when they didn't bunt, I had to pray that I did not get killed. WOW is correct. Great game if you had a good pitcher and catcher on your team. I miss it.

Reactions: TravisWalker
I haven't eaten there yet, I should give it a try.
Rosati's is a Chicago pizza place, and they have the best thin crust pizza I have ever tasted. Everyone knows Chicago is known for the deep dish, but almost as popular with the locals is the thin crust. We normally order either the sausage and mushroom or just plain sausage, but every time the wife and I make it back to Chicago (lived there for 10 years) we make sure to visit Lou Malnati's for deep dish or Rosati's for thin crust. I really hope this Omaha location is the same quality as the Chicagoland ones....now we just need a Portillo's to open up in Omaha.

Reactions: GaRed
Rosati's is a Chicago pizza place, and they have the best thin crust pizza I have ever tasted. Everyone knows Chicago is known for the deep dish, but almost as popular with the locals is the thin crust. We normally order either the sausage and mushroom or just plain sausage, but every time the wife and I make it back to Chicago (lived there for 10 years) we make sure to visit Lou Malnati's for deep dish or Rosati's for thin crust. I really hope this Omaha location is the same quality as the Chicagoland ones....now we just need a Portillo's to open up in Omaha.

Dude, iff a portillos opens up here in Omaha I will die of italian beef (dipped hot and wet) poisoning and it will be worth it!

Reactions: GaRed
Chicago deep dish is really more akin to a casserole than what most of us consider pizza. I don't even try to compare it to NY style...they're just too different. The thing with deep dish is that its a night ender...one or two slices, then put me to bed. Super heavy. It just may not be your thing.

Correct, it is more of a casserole than a pie. I live in Wrigleyville and the only time I eat deep dish is when I have a friend in town.

There are some decent thin crust places around here too, but nothing like NYC.

Now the burgers in Chicago.....A++++

Correct, it is more of a casserole than a pie. I live in Wrigleyville and the only time I eat deep dish is when I have a friend in town.

There are some decent thin crust places around here too, but nothing like NYC.

Now the burgers in Chicago.....A++++

Dude, how fun is Wrigleyville? I have a friend, his family owns a few floral shops in the area and he has a sweet pad a few blocks from the field. He loves it.

Dude, how fun is Wrigleyville? I have a friend, his family owns a few floral shops in the area and he has a sweet pad a few blocks from the field. He loves it.
My experience: like living on a college campus for 20- and 30-somethings. Then I got married.

Wrigley gameday is like a CFB game everyday. It’s great but sometimes you just need to get to the dry cleaner but there’s a horde of drunks in the way. Can get old at times

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
My experience: like living on a college campus for 20- and 30-somethings. Then I got married.

Wrigley gameday is like a CFB game everyday. It’s great but sometimes you just need to get to the dry cleaner but there’s a horde of drunks in the way. Can get old at times

That is awesome...how packed do those bars get?

Who was the guy that made a long post trashing Omaha’s food options? He then went on and on about how great Toppers Pizza is.

So I guess Toppers Pizza is the place to go. Have never had it myself

Who was the guy that made a long post trashing Omaha’s food options? He then went on and on about how great Toppers Pizza is.

So I guess Toppers Pizza is the place to go. Have never had it myself
A Toppers opened down the street from my office a few years ago and lasted about three months - which was not surprising, considering it was about half a notch above a frozen Red Baron cooked in a toaster oven. Sliceworks opened in its place, and now the place is packed most of the time. It's very mediocre pizza, but still puts Toppers to shame.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow

Tough to beat the italian sausage made in the Chicagoland area. I'm trying to make my own out in here in NE but its going to take a few more months to perfect. I think Davlo ships theirs in from Chicago.

Just ate at Timber Creek Pizza near 180th & Harrison. Thought it was great.

Anymore though with 3 kids we're getting Red Baron or making own.

Anyone remember a guy named Ron Osborn? Always used to write in to the OWH voice from the grandstand in the 80s busting chops over people playing soft pitch ( I think he called it sissy pitch)? Guy would be a natural here. Very entertaining.

I will see Ron this weekend. I played with him in the early 1990's. I think the team was called the Omaha Tigers, the names changed a lot back then. We played all over the midwest, but a lot of weekends in St. Joe's. I was smart enough to play in the outfield.

He is a pitching coach to this day, and quite a few of his female players have played collegiality.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
I will see Ron this weekend. I played with him in the early 1990's. I think the team was called the Omaha Tigers, the names changed a lot back then. We played all over the midwest, but a lot of weekends in St. Joe's. I was smart enough to play in the outfield.

He is a pitching coach to this day, and quite a few of his female players have played collegiality.

Tell him 'hey' from the kid who watched him at Ballard Field in Lincoln back in the day. :)

Oh to go back to 1993/4 and watch the NBA playoffs after a day of work and order up Fet red W/pep, a whole combination wheat, double choc brownie and a pepsi from Davinci's. A bit misty eyed after reminiscing that.

Goodnights is gone? I did not know that.

As far as pizza and tailgates...why is that not more popular?
Goodnights is closed, it is called Rocco’s now operated by the same family that owns JD Tucker’s, Stadium Club, and Lefties which is right next door to Rocco’s. BTW they serve great pizza. However Pizza King is very hard to beat for a great pizza.

Anyone remember a pizza place that was like a kids party place? If memory serves it was at the end of a strip center, I want to say like 76th and Blondo area. We used to have birthday parties there. The pizza sucked, like Chuck E. Cheese, but it wasn't a nationally known chain.

Sorry to derail the thread, just thought of the place and I couldn't remember the name. There may have been "Happy" in there or something like that.

Anyone remember a pizza place that was like a kids party place? If memory serves it was at the end of a strip center, I want to say like 76th and Blondo area. We used to have birthday parties there. The pizza sucked, like Chuck E. Cheese, but it wasn't a nationally known chain.

Sorry to derail the thread, just thought of the place and I couldn't remember the name. There may have been "Happy" in there or something like that.

Are you talking about Showbiz Pizza?

Sidenote...wouldn't a "pizza by the slice" place make a killing in certain parts of Omaha?

Are you talking about Showbiz Pizza?

Sidenote...wouldn't a "pizza by the slice" place make a killing in certain parts of Omaha?

No, Showbiz was the predecessor to Chuck E. Cheese. I don't know why but the name Happy Joe's is what comes to mind, but I can't find anything to confirm it.

Did he pitch for T’s 13, they were a super good fast pitch team for years and years.

Happy Joe’s was at Blondo plaza in the 70s. Pizza & ice cream parlor

https://www.happyjoes.com

None currently in Nebraska.

I've been a lot of places and ate a lot of pizza. For me, this is the best pizza anywhere . (get original crust) This is my favorite.

It is nothing like Chuck E Cheese as was mentioned above.

lacaza then mommas. in that order

Mamma’s Beef
Lansky’s is close.
Davlo’s sausage (Chicago Style)
I want to try Rosati's

Momma’s has been my best place for pizza lately...
Guys, for a pizza place you guys think is so amazing you'd think you'd spell it right!

I'm 39 years old and have been going to Mama's pizza since I was born. It was a family favorite for as long as I have been alive or at least as long as I can remember. The pizza is okay... The amount of toppings they put on the pizza is more than any other place. That doesn't make it the best, it just gives you more bang for your buck.

I like more seasoned pizza with Basil, Oregano and other Italian seasoning. I also like pizza sauce to be more than tomato paste like Mama's uses.

Also about Giordano's, I'm not sure I will go to there place when they come no matter how good their pizza is. They basically slapped Omaha in the face. We won a social media poll where the winner of the poll gets a franchise at the location and Omaha won. That was in 2017, and we still haven't started building it yet! Somehow Des Moines is getting one and it is set to open soon! What a bunch of Bull****!

Here is a quote from this article https://www.omaha.com/omahadines/so...cle_58d63ed7-0e1e-576d-81a1-74621b489f6b.html

"In late 2017, the pizza chain held a fan vote on social media, asking voters to help pick a new location. Omaha won the poll, beating out Des Moines, Cincinnati, Dallas and Houston."

Co-worker of mine who live in Des Moines said it is scheduled to open in this summer. How does that work!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT