ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Detroit style pizza

I am really into Detroit style pizza. That’s it. Post over.

Jets is pretty good
Sounds like an exotic delicacy I have never enjoyed.
We have three places that make pizza here, Detroit Style is not an option. Not sure if Anchorage has Detroit Style either.

I am curious. I love pizza, as most do.

Reactions: Laner2
Detroit style is great. Never had any from Nebraska. Best one I’ve had (never been to Detroit) was from from Brown Dog in telluride. Inside dining was closed for Covid, which was a blessing. The whole main st was blocked off, so we sat on a table outside in downtown telluride at dusk eating a Detroit pie with a bottle of wine. Amazing.

Is it like Big Fred's or La Casa? If not, not interested.

It’s like niether. Detroit style is carmelized deep dish. Not Chicago style deep dish, more like pizza hut’s pan pizza I guess. But yeas La Casa’s is the shit, New York style cut in square pieces. IDK what the fvck you’d call big Fred’s? Omaha style? It’s ok I guess, but I LOVE me some La Casa!

Ok. So I assume new York is flatter, Chicago is like deep dish....never heard of Detroit. Please explain

Detroit style puts a real premium on the quality of the sauce. It has to be really good, or the rest won’t matter. If the sauce is just some shit out of a giant can, the pizza will be awful.

I guess I’m just more into the quality of pizza ingredients. If they are great, the style doesn’t matter much to me.

Is it like Big Fred's or La Casa? If not, not interested.
I find Omaha's pizza scene to be a little weird. Most are pretty good home made pizza places but none are particularly authentic to a style.

I'm told you can get a pretty good authentic Chicago style pizza out in NW omaha now, somewhere abouts 144th and Fort? There was a place about 15 years ago called Pudgies that went out of business in SW Omaha that was a chicago style as well.

I don't know of any place that offers a true NY style flavor, most people will point you at Zios. I love zios, but other than the fact they offer pizza by the slice, it doesn't taste anything like a slice of pie from NY.

Detroit style pizza you basically take a pan pizza like say pizza hut, and cover the thing in toppings/cheese out to the edge. then you put the sauce on top in say rows. When you cook it the edges get all carmelized with cheese and its super crisp but also thick and substantial when you bite it unlike a thin crust. Its probably my favorite style (and fairly easy to make at home) but having lived out here on the east coast most of my adult life I love the NY style when you can find it authentic.

Haven’t had any Detroit style from anywhere but Jet’s. 4 or 8 corner pizza.

had is several times in Detroit area and also Denver area. Not sure if they are in Nebraska. Is it like Pizza Hit deep dish ? Yes but is far better quality and taste

I find Omaha's pizza scene to be a little weird. Most are pretty good home made pizza places but none are particularly authentic to a style.

I'm told you can get a pretty good authentic Chicago style pizza out in NW omaha now, somewhere abouts 144th and Fort? There was a place about 15 years ago called Pudgies that went out of business in SW Omaha that was a chicago style as well.

I don't know of any place that offers a true NY style flavor, most people will point you at Zios. I love zios, but other than the fact they offer pizza by the slice, it doesn't taste anything like a slice of pie from NY.

Detroit style pizza you basically take a pan pizza like say pizza hut, and cover the thing in toppings/cheese out to the edge. then you put the sauce on top in say rows. When you cook it the edges get all carmelized with cheese and its super crisp but also thick and substantial when you bite it unlike a thin crust. Its probably my favorite style (and fairly easy to make at home) but having lived out here on the east coast most of my adult life I love the NY style when you can find it authentic.
Pizzeria Davlo is your NW Omaha Chicago pizza. Not much to compare it to around here but I love it. I also love Detroit style and NY is my least favorite. Noli’s in Blackstone does Neapolitan (NY) pizza that a lot of people like but it’s not my jam.

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__serious_eats__seriouseats.com__2017__02__20170216-detroit-style-pizza-47-1500x1125-1-233d75e6021048b3bf3cf28bd59d310b.jpg

I do like Chicago deep dish but in the end nothing beats the thin NY style pizza.

Before I remarried I dated one of the owners of one of the pizza joints mentioned in this thread...she invited me over and told me to come on in when I got there.... she was taking a bubble bath...haha. Highlight of the "relationship" that I'll never forget.

Before I remarried I dated one of the owners of one of the pizza joints mentioned in this thread...she invited me over and told me to come on in when I got there.... she was taking a bubble bath...haha. Highlight of the "relationship" that I'll never forget.
...........go on.............

All of the styles can be good. Depends on my mood.

Actual NY style pizza in NYC? Disappointing. So excited to have actual NY pizza in NYC and.......eh it's fine, ok, nothing special whatsoever.

Reactions: Laner2
I've never encountered a pizza I didn't like. But I'm sure it's out there.

Now that I know what Detroit style is, my wife makes that occasionally. Super easy. Take frozen bread dough and use it for pan 9x13

There was a place in west omaha years ago, 35 maybe? Angelo's Pizza, it was by that comic book store/arcade, not millard "dump" plaza but a strip mall area similar to that. First time I had cheezy bread sticks made with the pizza dough and shaped like a pizza but cut into strips. Always liked that place.

There was a place in west omaha years ago, 35 maybe? Angelo's Pizza, it was by that comic book store/arcade, not millard "dump" plaza but a strip mall area similar to that. First time I had cheezy bread sticks made with the pizza dough and shaped like a pizza but cut into strips. Always liked that place.

My neighbor, Tim, owned that. I blew up his mailbox with an M-80, he repaid the favor..haha. tru story.

Agreed it was fabulous...they also opened one in Gretna but it didn't fly.

Reactions: huskerfan66

Pudgies was a great place. Pudgie himself was awesome; he enjoyed getting out from behind the counter and talking to people at their tables. I believe cancer got him and his wife tried to keep it going for a while but it eventually shut down. Oh, and the pies were great.

Reactions: BIGSTICK67
I'm more of a thin crust guy. i really used to like sbarro pizza, i haven't seen sbarro in a while. did they get blockbustered?

thick crust is ok, but i wouldn't choose it over thin pizza if given the option.

So back in the 60s and 70s, South Chicago was mostly Italians who worked at the Republic Steel factory and other factories. It seemed like each corner had a tavern that served pizza. Those were hands down the best Chicago style pizzas I ever had, but the weird thing was you could see variation in the pies based on what part of Sicily the owners came from. Pies from Palermo were different than pies from Catania, which were different from pies from northeast Sicily. Don't remember a bad pie once. It's a shame that South Chicago has markedly changed and those places seem to have gone away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT