ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon has been killing it in recruiting

Full time jobs have been net negative the last several reports. Headline numbers have looked good, but a lot of that has been people holding multiple part time jobs and gig work - Uber, DoorDash etc.
Bingo. I heard @scopeandtime had to start servicing 3 different glory holes. At the same time. Times are tough in this shit economy.

Ridiculous. Tell me you don't actually believe these effing numbers?
Easy - note that I enjoy your posts and enjoy discussions with you as I always see a new perspective. I take nothing you say as a personal attack and hope you feel the same from my conversations back to you.

But yes I do believe the indexes have had all time highs. I believe the S&P hit the high on July 9th less than a month ago.

June US Bureau of Labor Statistics I believe reported 3% YOY inflation. Roughly 19% cumulative since 2020. Consumer price index to start the year was up 18% since 2020 and went up 4.1% in 2023 over 2022.

Unemployment under 4% I feel everyday as we try to hire people - when it’s 8% I have few people leaving and a lot of people looking.

I will check out your data links for an alternate view as well.

GBR!

Full time jobs have been net negative the last several reports. Headline numbers have looked good, but a lot of that has been people holding multiple part time jobs and gig work - Uber, DoorDash etc.
The government figures a job(s) like this.
A guy loses/laid off/etc his full time job. He picks up 2 part time jobs.
In the government numbers that means 1 job loss and 2 new jobs.
All government numbers are phony.

When they don't take into account food, shelter and energy for a family in the rate of inflation, exactly how can that be correct? Doesn't every family consume food, and need shelter and energy?

When you do what you love it’s not really work.
oprah-you.gif

The economy is not strong. Last month the feds adjusted unemployment up and gdp lower. I drove over an overpass with a UP rail yard underneath. I've never seen so many locomotives just parked there. Then that night I noticed there was no truck traffic going by between the hours of 10 pm and 6am. The house I was staying at is on a highway between 2 old dominion warehouses. When I stay there there's constant truck traffic except between 3 and 5 am. I told my wife Saturday morning I think the economy is tanking because of those reasons. Plus John deere laid off a bunch. Farm income is was bad last year and going to be a lot worse this year.

Put on top of that high interest and inflation which was caused by 35+ trillion national debt. Then throw in paying for all the boarder crosses freebies and this economy is bad.

Feds don't give you the real numbers
What I was giving you was macroeconomic statistics. That's talking about the overall economy. At the micro level, there are problems. But John Deere is making a wonderful profit. Their layoffs had nothing to do with the economy. It had to do with increased profits. I'm holding and buying more DE stock because I think their stock will eventually rebound. But I hate the fact that they did what they did moving their factories south.

The high interest was set there by the Fed to slow down the economy and it appears to finally be working. They could be cutting rates soon. The shitty thing about inflation is price sticking. Inflation can be relatively low, but if the high prices from last year are still there. What the hell! The only prices that drops rapidly are corn and bean prices. Everything else stays high as long as it can. Some items like housing may never come back down.

The national debt and border crossings are separate issues.

Reactions: Huskers123456
The government figures a job(s) like this.
A guy loses/laid off/etc his full time job. He picks up 2 part time jobs.
In the government numbers that means 1 job loss and 2 new jobs.
All government numbers are phony.

When they don't take into account food, shelter and energy for a family in the rate of inflation, exactly how can that be correct? Doesn't every family consume food, and need shelter and energy?
When I do our wage analysis I factor normal inflation rate and the Consumer Price Index which is a weighted average of normal expenses (food, housing, transportation, clothing, medical, communication/education, etc.)

Easy - note that I enjoy your posts and enjoy discussions with you as I always see a new perspective. I take nothing you say as a personal attack and hope you feel the same from my conversations back to you.

But yes I do believe the indexes have had all time highs. I believe the S&P hit the high on July 9th less than a month ago.

June US Bureau of Labor Statistics I believe reported 3% YOY inflation. Roughly 19% cumulative since 2020. Consumer price index to start the year was up 18% since 2020 and went up 4.1% in 2023 over 2022.

Unemployment under 4% I feel everyday as we try to hire people - when it’s 8% I have few people leaving and a lot of people looking.

I will check out your data links for an alternate view as well.

GBR!
I will give you a "like" because clearly you are a dude I enjoy exchanges with, and have absolutely nothing negative to say about you as a fellow Husker fan.

The numbers you cite are all fake. I hate when people are relying on government numbers because you are dealing with faulty information. Do yourself a favor and go listen to Bill Holter, Doug Casey, John Williams, Andy Schletman, Michael Pento to name just a few. These are people that will tell you and prove with numbers, where this economy and nation are.

Until you expose yourself to the real numbers, things will seem all rosey. When the government is borrowing $ 1 Trillion dollars every 100 days, how good could the economy be doing?

Peace out buddy!!

I got a 500K 20 year term life ins policy approx 4 years ago. Recently my best bud since 8th grade was diag'd with a brain tumor he's going to die from soon, so it got me thinking about more life ins.

..so i priced out some more 2 weeks ago, from several sources, so this is an accurate statement. Prices for life ins have more than tripled in 3 years...it is yet one more example of something that cost 3X as much as it did in 2020..

I say all that to say this...where in the fvck is this 19.2% inflation rate coming from? It's closer to 100% when you factor in everything you need to live on.

When I do our wage analysis I factor normal inflation rate and the Consumer Price Index which is a weighted average of normal expenses (food, housing, transportation, clothing, medical, communication/education, etc.)
If you're using 3% as your base inflation rate, then everything is skewed.

What I was giving you was macroeconomic statistics. That's talking about the overall economy. At the micro level, there are problems. But John Deere is making a wonderful profit. Their layoffs had nothing to do with the economy. It had to do with increased profits. I'm holding and buying more DE stock because I think their stock will eventually rebound. But I hate the fact that they did what they did moving their factories south.

The high interest was set there by the Fed to slow down the economy and it appears to finally be working. They could be cutting rates soon. The shitty thing about inflation is price sticking. Inflation can be relatively low, but if the high prices from last year are still there. What the hell! The only prices that drops rapidly are corn and bean prices. Everything else stays high as long as it can. Some items like housing may never come back down.

Easy needs to be emotional about this. He's been waiting years for the economy to tank so he can say I told you so. He's "that guy".

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Dean Pope
Do you know what the Labor Participation Rate is?

I've been in the economy since gas was 19 cents a gallon and cigarettes were 26 cents.
My first job paid 40 cents an hour.
We built our home in 1984 and paid it off in 1991. We've been debt free for 33 years.

I know a little bit about money and the economy.
Sounds like you are doing well. Glad to hear that you are debt free.

The government gives each of those border crossers a debit card for 10K. They spend that money right away so it goes back into the economy. How does giving borrowed money away only to have it given to non-taxpayers drive the economy. That's why the GDP number is bogus.

I didn't see a source on the net loss of full time jobs over the last few months. I try to stick with the sources that investment houses use. Charles Schwab gives millions to republican candidates every year and they have trillions of dollars worth of skin in the game. We can all trust the sources they use, right?

The government gives each of those border crossers a debit card for 10K. They spend that money right away so it goes back into the economy. How does giving borrowed money away only to have it given to non-taxpayers drive the economy. That's why the GDP number is bogus.
Who hands those $10k debit cards out? Sasquatch?

Sounds like you are doing well. Glad to hear that you are debt free.
Thanks. I was smart to avoid getting into the stock market because I did my homework a long time ago. I would rather go slow and steady than ride a wave for a couple years only to see it tumble, as it always has and always will.

Altough we have different ways of doing things I do hope you and all the others are able to be successful regardless of methodology.

Even though I'm not involved, when the market goes up that's a good thing for a lot of people.
When it takes a real dive, I feel bad, but I sleep just as well under either scenario.

John deere profits cut in half from a year ago. Jobs elimination absolutely because of that. Other like manufacturers won't be any different.

As far as inflation I agree. Look at it over multiple years rather than just year over year which is what the government wants tou to do.

National debt and illegal entries absolutely affect the economy. Giving away free money will bite in the butt eventually

I didn't see a source on the net loss of full time jobs over the last few months. I try to stick with the sources that investment houses use. Charles Schwab gives millions to republican candidates every year and they have trillions of dollars worth of skin in the game. We can all trust the sources they use, right?
Those elected officials also know the day before (or sooner) when an impending crash is set.
Perfect example is Paul Ryan the former Senator and VP candidate on the Romney ticket.

In checking his financials, which were publicly available at that time, he was heavily into Bear Stearns, AIG, Lehman Brothers and Dodge and Cox. The day before the crash in 2008 he moved all his holdings into Goldman Sachs and came out smelling like a rose. Normal people holding those stocks/mutuel funds I mentioned got financially creamed.

Here you go. See full time job line. Full time jobs way down (458k) compared to July 2023. Part time and multiple job holders way up. The media likes when you stop reading at the headline .

They're handed out at the border along with free bus or airline tickets so they can go check into their 5 star hotels in New York etc.

What are your news sources not telling you?
Guys, I know I'm responding to my own post, but wanted to say this has been a good discussion with several different points of view. Its refreshing to get into a topic of differing viewpoints and still not have any name calling or insults.

Even though I'm not involved, when the market goes up that's a good thing for a lot of people.
When it takes a real dive, I feel bad, but I sleep just as well under either scenario.
And I will add that sometimes when the market goes up, a lot of people do not see a benefit plus it may not necessarily be a sign that things are all peaches & cream in the economy. Often times the market goes up in anticipation of good news (as a lot of people on here are well aware) but the here and now is not so great.

For me, I am invested in the market and I've found that the less I do, the better off I am. I'm conservative by nature and that's helped me for the most part (except for when I didn't buy more Bitcoin back in 2016.

As for you, I bet you haven't regretted paying off your mortgage back in the day!

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
John deere profits cut in half from a year ago. Jobs elimination absolutely because of that. Other like manufacturers won't be any different.

As far as inflation I agree. Look at it over multiple years rather than just year over year which is what the government wants tou to do.

National debt and illegal entries absolutely affect the economy. Giving away free money will bite in the butt eventually
The national debt is a huge issue and neither party wants to do jack sh*t about it. As for illegal entries, who knows? I'm against illegal immigration. I will tell you that much. But driving around Lincoln, take a peek at who in the hell is roofing today. A lot of those guys work their ass off. Illegal or legal.

The national debt is a huge issue and neither party wants to do jack sh*t about it. As for illegal entries, who knows? I'm against illegal immigration. I will tell you that much. But driving around Lincoln, take a peek at who in the hell is roofing today. A lot of those guys work their ass off. Illegal or legal.
Have to figure out a way to properly vet these immigrants and get them here legally. Every other time in the history of our country we brought in immigrants to offset a labor shortage. Need to do the same now with a system that works.

Reactions: V-Doub
Worked on a roofing crew one summer in college.

Was the only English speaking dude, and we were almost strictly on flat roofs slopping tar…shingling was like a day off, and I still have a major scar on my wrist from spilling some “hot”.

Got me in great shape for ball in the fall, but it definitely motivated me to get that degree as well.

Worked on a roofing crew one summer in college.

Was the only English speaking dude, and we were almost strictly on flat roofs slopping tar…shingling was like a day off, and I still have a major scar on my wrist from spilling some “hot”.

Got me in great shape for ball in the fall, but it definitely motivated me to get that degree as well.
Flat roof you say. You work for the SS now?

And I will add that sometimes when the market goes up, a lot of people do not see a benefit plus it may not necessarily be a sign that things are all peaches & cream in the economy. Often times the market goes up in anticipation of good news (as a lot of people on here are well aware) but the here and now is not so great.

For me, I am invested in the market and I've found that the less I do, the better off I am. I'm conservative by nature and that's helped me for the most part (except for when I didn't buy more Bitcoin back in 2016.

As for you, I bet you haven't regretted paying off your mortgage back in the day!
Because I was raised by a mom with 5 kids, and who was a dishwasher I absolutely know what it's like to grow up poor, I never wanted to be a slave to any lender.

I became self sufficient by the time I turned 12, and on my own since I was 14. So, yes, sometimes I can be a prick to people on here because I grew up dependent on myself, and don't take shit from anyyone.

Moving every month or so and all the negative that comes with that made me realize how being stable, and staying in one place, is so beneficial for myself, wife and certainly my kids. I also know we all have to have a place to live.

When we were finally able to buy a home after the disastrous 17% rates during the Carter years, I used the VA loan and immediatly ordered an amortization schedule and made a plan to pay it off in full in 7 years. By paying my monthly mortgage while at the same time attacking the principle in months 360, 359, 358, etc, backwards, I was able to pay monthly principle thus avoiding paying any interest and have that part vanish. My theory being, if interest is based on principle then how could they charge interest in those late years if there's no principle to attach to. Right?

The thing that is crushing for me is the inability of so many good, hard working Americans who have been shut out from having a fighting chance at buying a home, which of course, can be a tremendous investment opportunity. As with most people, from what we paid for our home, even today on Zillow, its worth 500% more than we paid. In this country, every willing person should have that same opportunity.

We don't have or need a credit card. Back in the day we had to use a credit card to book flights, rent cars, pay for a hotel, etc. But, since debit cards came along, we cancelled that credit card since we paid the balance every month, now when we travel we just pay with the debit card.

For someone who grew up in poverty and dropped out of school as a 10th grader I've managed to change the entire narrative for my family and my grandchildren. Albeit not perfect, my family thinks I'm a rock star.

Last edited:
The debt can never be paid because with the derivatives the debt is likely between 50 and 200 quadrillion dollars. We've been a bankrupt country for decades.

I'm 100% against illegal immigration. My mother in law walked across the border about 74 years ago with an 8 year old daughter and she applied for citizenship, had the whole green card thing, did everything legally and still worried for years about being deported. There's a right way and wrong way to do things.

A few years ago a Mexican dude reshingled our home. He worked full time at a packing plant, on Friday after work, he took the old shingles off. On Saturday he removed the felt, put down new felt, shingles and picked every nail on the ground with some magnetic thing. Many of them are super hard working people. I just wish they all did it legally.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Have to figure out a way to properly vet these immigrants and get them here legally. Every other time in the history of our country we brought in immigrants to offset a labor shortage. Need to do the same now with a system that works.

That’s the problem. One side won’t accept a system that turns away people who can’t prove who they are. (no documentation) Regardless of their country of origin, regardless of their motivation. The other side wants to make it so difficult to legally migrate we’ll never fulfill our forever expanding labor needs. Both sides need to bend a little and give up on their extreme policy desires.

Frankly, IMO… An agreement could be made if the left would allow us to turn away or deport undocumented immigrants and have asylum cases adjudicated in the country they are leaving. I think some wide ranging amnesty and streamlining (fast lane so to speak) of documented immgrants could be possible if the left would bend on those more than extreme positions. I think the right would bend on a sensible amnesty plan and a streamlining of legal immigration if they thought border was secure and we are properly vetting those who enter. But when one side doesn’t even want documented criminals turned away, it’s kinda hard to come to an agreement on any of that. Just my 2 cents…

A few years ago a Mexican dude reshingled our home. He worked full time at a packing plant, on Friday after work, he took the old shingles off. On Saturday he removed the felt, put down new felt, shingles and picked every nail on the ground with some magntic thing. Many of them are super hard working people. I just wish they all did it legally.
No argument there. I'm pro-immigration I guess and against illegal immigration. I used to work a second job at a tools retailer. Hispanic laborers were our best customers. When they came in, they bought a lot of stuff, paid a lot of sales tax and paid it all in cash.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
That’s the problem. One side won’t accept a system that turns away people who can’t prove who they are. (no documentation) Regardless of their country of origin, regardless of their motivation. The other side wants to make it so difficult to legally migrate we’ll never fulfill our forever expanding labor needs. Both sides need to bend a little and give up on their extreme policy desires.

Frankly, IMO… An agreement could be made if the left would allow us to turn away or deport undocumented immigrants and have asylum cases adjudicated in the country they are leaving. I think some wide ranging amnesty and streamlining (fast lane so to speak) of documented immgrants could be possible if the left would bend on those more than extreme positions. I think the right would bend on a sensible amnesty plan and a streamlining of legal immigration if they thought border was secure and we are properly vetting those who enter. But when one side doesn’t even want documented criminals turned away, it’s kinda hard to come to an agreement on any of that. Just my 2 cents…
In no way am I in favor of amnesty. For those that come legally, I say more power to them. Either we are a nation of laws or we're not, (and we're not). How the hell can we justify giving debit cards and putting those people up in hotels when we have hundreds of thousands of homeless people in this country living on the streets? Granted, they may be homeless by choice because they can't function in society, but giving them their little debit cards is such a slap in the face.

This country is so broken and much of it is because of the Cloward-Pivens strategy. It's all been the plan since the 1960's. The purpose of the Federal Reserves, since it's inception, and around the world is to bankrupt the entire world, and its happening and will officially happen at some point.

No argument there. I'm pro-immigration I guess and against illegal immigration. I used to work a second job at a tools retailer. Hispanic laborers were our best customers. When they came in, they bought a lot of stuff, paid a lot of sales tax and paid it all in cash.
Without question a high percentage have a ridiculousy good work ethic.

My father in law is an American born Spanish man and worked his entire life putting up grain bins while feeding a family of 9, including my unbelievable mother in law, brothers/and sisters in law, and my incredible wife of 48 years.

Never took a penny in welfare, food stamps, nothing. They lived modestly and raised great kids.

As the years went on, I spoiled the shit out of them.

Reactions: huskerfan66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT