ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon has been killing it in recruiting

Sigh. College football ain’t what it used to be.
It's definitely an arms race. But I think it's going to level the playing field. The $EC was already paying players. I don't know about you but Im sick of seeing Bama and Georgia win it every year. Time for some new blood. Maybe some old blood too. NU!!

it would be interesting to see Uncle Warren get competitive with Phil Knight while he is still breathing.
Uncle warren is like smaug. He doesnt want to part with one coin. Not even on himself. Thats fine, its his momey ad he can do with it what he pleases. Personally I dont think his life is as good as many people might think it is.

Any “philanthropy” he is involved in is through his wife’s funding her liberal causes.

Torn on this new landscape. It’s nice to see these athletes rewarded some rather than the schools, conf and networks.

But the football we all grew up loving is gone. Which was pretty darn amazing in the 90s when a scholarship meant something and kids STFU and played ball.

College football is now a minor league NFL and should be treated as such. The other divisions can remain traditional yet void of the real talent

Warren won't even give his kids money because he doesn't want them to become lazy, even though they are in their ****ing 60's...
Yeah, I bet Howard Buffet got his Illinois farmland by milking cows and throwing hay bales as a kid.

Why is CFB so romanticized? This weird idea that it was "better" when those kids were not getting money, why?
Personally I think the networks destroyed CFB. College football is in a very awkward phase right now.

I’m happy players are getting paid some but it didn’t make the game better in any capacity for the viewer

Uncle warren is like smaug. He doesnt want to part with one coin. Not even on himself. Thats fine, its his momey ad he can do with it what he pleases. Personally I dont think his life is as good as many people might think it is.

Any “philanthropy” he is involved in is through his wife’s funding her liberal causes.

"You will take nothing from me, dwarf."

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Probably because some people think it was a level playing field and now it's just whoever has the most money. Except they forget about all the cheaters under the old system.
Because they can transfer whenever they want it is probably the most level it has ever been.

The word “commitment” has almost no value in todays’s sport. Whereas it did when I began watching. It will be interesting to see the ramifications of the hedonistic landscape

They couldn't do it with those ugly uniforms. They couldn't do it in that weak-ass conference they left. They aren't going to do it now.
they have more National Championship appearances in the last 15 years than Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma and Texas.

they are perfectly capable of getting there and winning it.

Reactions: shocksker

Pretty off base all around on this take.

The word “commitment” has almost no value in todays’s sport. Whereas it did when I began watching. It will be interesting to see the ramifications of the hedonistic landscape
I mean, not really.

Think about it, how many kids WANTED to transfer in the past but basically couldn't. Is that really "commitment" or is it just being restricted.

It is the same with jobs today. Back in the day looking for a job was either pounding the pavement or waiting for the Sunday paper. Seeing an opening you liked...typing up your resume on stupid special resume paper, writing a stupid cover letter, getting a big ass manilla envelop mailing it out...wait 2-3 days for it to get there and then waiting another 2-3 days to maybe get a phone call to set up an interview. It was a pain in the ass.

I used to apply for teaching jobs where I would send them my shit only to have them mail back an ****ing application for me to fill out...then I had to have my credentials and transcripts sent BY MY COLLEGE...the entire process JUST to apply took 3 weeks.

Now, looking for a job takes what, 10 minutes? If that. So people leave jobs more often, is that lack of commitment or lack of restrictions?

I mean, not really.

Think about it, how many kids WANTED to transfer in the past but basically couldn't. Is that really "commitment" or is it just being restricted.

It is the same with jobs today. Back in the day looking for a job was either pounding the pavement or waiting for the Sunday paper. Seeing an opening you liked...typing up your resume on stupid special resume paper, writing a stupid cover letter, getting a big ass manilla envelop mailing it out...wait 2-3 days for it to get there and then waiting another 2-3 days to maybe get a phone call to set up an interview. It was a pain in the ass.

I used to apply for teaching jobs where I would send them my shit only to have them mail back an ****ing application for me to fill out...then I had to have my credentials and transcripts sent BY MY COLLEGE...the entire process JUST to apply took 3 weeks.

Now, looking for a job takes what, 10 minutes? If that. So people leave jobs more often, is that lack of commitment or lack of restrictions?
Companies disregard loyalty a whole generation or two ago. Why should labor be loyal when capital isn't, right? They always looking for the next best worker... And workers should always be looking for a better gig.

Reactions: dmaw and shocksker
Because they can transfer whenever they want it is probably the most level it has ever been.
But the big schools can offer the most money. So any diamonds in the rough will leave the smaller schools hanging.

I see the ability to transfer whenever they want helping the top schools more than hurting them and hurting the lower schools more than helping them.

That dummy would probably give it to UNO or Creighton.
Seems like Buffett is just pretty damn conservative with his money. From my view, I think that what these big money donors are doing is unsustainable. Before you know it, a handful of teams will have a basketball team with a starting five getting over $1 million a year. But I think most of us, myself included have no grasp for how wealthy that some of these top donors really are.

If I did the math correctly, Phil Knight could give every Oregon football player on a 100 player roster $10 million a year. And he could do that for the next 30 years.

But the big schools can offer the most money. So any diamonds in the rough will leave the smaller schools hanging.

I see the ability to transfer whenever they want helping the top schools more than hurting them and hurting the lower schools more than helping them.
I get that point but what is a "smaller school" in your opinion?

Miami of Ohio, Kent, UAB, Troy, UTSA? Those schools never have a chance to win it all, they never have and for the most part never will. So now a kid can start there, get really good and leave, chasing his dream to win it all...just like his HC would leave if he got a better offer.

Companies disregard loyalty a whole generation or two ago. Why should labor be loyal when capital isn't, right? They always looking for the next best worker... And workers should always be looking for a better gig.
Companies will tend to pay just enough to keep workers there...right?

With how much easier it is to look/find a new job, workers should TOTALLY be looking...all the time.

What is a typical raise 3-4%? Job jumping will get you 10% or more. Gotta look out for yourself first.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT