ADVERTISEMENT

Best non Nebraska football venue

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
Having a debate with a friend over game day atmosphere at different venues. He is a Penn State fan and insists the best venue is State College. I obviously argued for Lincoln. But in the interests of amity and conversation we decided to identify the best venue we had personally attended not associated with our home team.

My choice: Knoxville Tennessee. Vols fans are fantastic and that stadium really rocks. Curious what others think. Best non Lincoln venue?

I have been to all of the Big Ten venues except Illinois, Washington, Oregon, USC and UCLA. I will see USC this year. I have also been to Colorado, Fresno State, Miami, Missouri and Georgia. I liked the Big House at Michigan the best due to tailgating experience on golf course across the street. Georgia atmosphere was pretty cool. Lots of obstructed views at OSU.

Ohio st has the most passionate fans outside of Nebraska. When I went to Purdue they took over the town when they came to play. Michigan didn’t even come close to recreating this. They’d get my vote just because of their loyal fans

Reactions: putemintheaisles
To the stadiums I have been to:

Top Tier
LSU - Night game, nothing like it. Absolutely insane
Texas A&M - Loud as hell and was fun
Penn St - The people were huge A-Holes, but the game was crazy loud and they hammered us that night
Washington - Cool area and was loud
Texas - Big stadium was loud and fun
Kansas St. - Decent setup and was pretty loud
Okie St - Just a great place to watch a game
Iowa - Not a bad setup. Wasn't overly loud, but that is what you get day after Thanksgiving
Oregon - Haven't seen a Husker game, but pretty fun stadium when I went to other games with my boss
Clemson - Fun as hell
South Carolina - Fun as hell, SEC is the best tailgating hands down

Mid Tier -
Oklahoma - Not really loud, but enjoyed the stadium and the people
Colorado - Love the stadium, but hate the people
Mizzou - Really hate the people, stadium is kinda meh, but saw some good games here
USC - A lot of bad seats and the people suck
Rutgers - My kids loved it and wasn't too bad. Small and was only about half full
Maryland - Same as Rutgers. Not on the low tier because my kids loved it
Minnesota - Nice stadium and easy to get to. Drank a lot of grain belts. Tailgating and gameday stuff sucks, but stadium was comfortable
Texas Tech - Had a great time, but was a kid.
Iowa St - Fun tailgating, that was about it
Air Force - Love their stadium, everything else is meh
BYU - Similar to Colorado. Beautiful area, but the Mormons were weird to watch a game with.

Low Tier -
Kansas - Doing upgrades for a reason
Purdue - Very meh, and they lose a ton of points because their turf blows
Michigan - Yes it is huge, that is about it
UCLA - Not sure why everyone loves this place. Horrible place to watch a football game
Baylor - Sucked
NW - Blows, but the new one looks nice
Oregon St - Reser sucks

To the stadiums I have been to:

Top Tier
LSU - Night game, nothing like it. Absolutely insane
Texas A&M - Loud as hell and was fun
Penn St - The people were huge A-Holes, but the game was crazy loud and they hammered us that night
Washington - Cool area and was loud
Texas - Big stadium was loud and fun
Kansas St. - Decent setup and was pretty loud
Okie St - Just a great place to watch a game
Iowa - Not a bad setup. Wasn't overly loud, but that is what you get day after Thanksgiving
Oregon - Haven't seen a Husker game, but pretty fun stadium when I went to other games with my boss
Clemson - Fun as hell
South Carolina - Fun as hell, SEC is the best tailgating hands down

Mid Tier -
Oklahoma - Not really loud, but enjoyed the stadium and the people
Colorado - Love the stadium, but hate the people
Mizzou - Really hate the people, stadium is kinda meh, but saw some good games here
USC - A lot of bad seats and the people suck
Rutgers - My kids loved it and wasn't too bad. Small and was only about half full
Maryland - Same as Rutgers. Not on the low tier because my kids loved it
Minnesota - Nice stadium and easy to get to. Drank a lot of grain belts. Tailgating and gameday stuff sucks, but stadium was comfortable
Texas Tech - Had a great time, but was a kid.
Iowa St - Fun tailgating, that was about it
Air Force - Love their stadium, everything else is meh
BYU - Similar to Colorado. Beautiful area, but the Mormons were weird to watch a game with.

Low Tier -
Kansas - Doing upgrades for a reason
Purdue - Very meh, and they lose a ton of points because their turf blows
Michigan - Yes it is huge, that is about it
UCLA - Not sure why everyone loves this place. Horrible place to watch a football game
Baylor - Sucked
NW - Blows, but the new one looks nice
Oregon St - Reser sucks
That's one long list. I can't contribute much to this conversation since I've only been to away college games at four places- Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State. But I'll add these two other stadiums I've been to--
Watching Kansas play a football game at KC's Children's Mercy Park soccer stadium would be a surreal experience. I think that place only holds 18,000.
Oak Bowl, Peru State- if you are into nostalgia, catching a Peru State home game is worth it. A great setting for small college football.

Reactions: TFrazier
That's one long list. I can't contribute much to this conversation since I've only been to away college games at four places- Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State. But I'll add these two other stadiums I've been to--
Watching Kansas play a football game at KC's Children's Mercy Park soccer stadium would be a surreal experience. I think that place only holds 18,000.
Oak Bowl, Peru State- if you are into nostalgia, catching a Peru State home game is worth it. A great setting for small college football.
Been to others as well and a ton of bowl games. I long for the days of wanting to travel to an away game. I continue to do it, but a lot of times I am going to places where I feel like we can win and are not having to leave at half. I'm feeling decent about our team this year, so I booked Ohio St already. I highly doubt we win, but have a chance to be 7-0 by the time we go there. I don't ever see us getting blown out anymore, so the games may be enjoyable again to travel. I just pray that we can field a formidable team. Everyone, outside of OSU, is beatable. I know we will drop a few games, but I just hope we win all of the games we should, and hopefully take care of business in 1-2 or the others we won't be favored in.

For me it would be Husky studuim in Seattle, tailgated on a boat to the stadium..Was very cool.

Boulder is up there because of the mountains and enjoyed Eugene except it took for ever to get back to our motel after the game, and you only had to go about 25-30 miles..

The Oak Bowl…great include!

Been to others as well and a ton of bowl games. I long for the days of wanting to travel to an away game. I continue to do it, but a lot of times I am going to places where I feel like we can win and are not having to leave at half. I'm feeling decent about our team this year, so I booked Ohio St already. I highly doubt we win, but have a chance to be 7-0 by the time we go there. I don't ever see us getting blown out anymore, so the games may be enjoyable again to travel. I just pray that we can field a formidable team. Everyone, outside of OSU, is beatable. I know we will drop a few games, but I just hope we win all of the games we should, and hopefully take care of business in 1-2 or the others we won't be favored in.
Love that unbreakable optimism. God bless the poor souls who have been traveling to all of these away games over these past years to watch a football program that sometimes seems to have, collectively, cared less about winning than the fans do.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Having a debate with a friend over game day atmosphere at different venues. He is a Penn State fan and insists the best venue is State College. I obviously argued for Lincoln. But in the interests of amity and conversation we decided to identify the best venue we had personally attended not associated with our home team.

My choice: Knoxville Tennessee. Vols fans are fantastic and that stadium really rocks. Curious what others think. Best non Lincoln venue?
Too much home depot orange for me. Playing " rocky top" every few minutes was nauseating. The campus on the river is sweet though.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Love that unbreakable optimism. God bless the poor souls who have been traveling to all of these away games over these past years to watch a football program that sometimes seems to have, collectively, cared less about winning than the fans do.
That's me for sure. I continue to travel and buy shit because I love my school, but sheesh it has to turn around sometime right? Man...

I go to a couple Colorado State games a year (15 minutes from my front door)

new stadium on campus is pretty great. New Belgium built a huge bar that takes up the entire north endzone where you can sit, drink beers, order food and watch the game at field level

been to purdue, big house, northwestern, iowa state, KU, CU, rose bowl, gator bowl. all were either boring or a pain in the ass to some degree

how loud can PennSt be if one of their former players is caught off guard by a half-full minnesota stadium due to decibel level?

Navy. Annapolis. Post game bar hopping is for grown ups. Very special all the way around.

I’ve only been to Iowa’s for a non-husker game. Tailgating looked great and the stadium was rocking. It’s no Lincoln but I’m sure there worse places to watch a football game.

Extremely envious of the lists of some of you! I’m glad you’ve had those opportunities to see so many great places!

I have been to CU, ISU, KU, KSU, MU, ASU(Fiesta Bowl), Miami (Orange Bowl), Arrowhead (Big 12 Championship), St. Louis (Big 12 Championship), and AT&T Stadium (Dallas Big 12 Championship).

By far the best stadium was the Cowboys Stadium. Was there in year 2 after it opened. If ever Nebraska plays another game in that stadium…I will definitely be there.

I do want to see Nebraska play at Iowa for 2 reasons. Reason 1 to win the game and reason 2 to participate in the wave to the patients at the children’s hospital.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT