ADVERTISEMENT

On the basketball debacle last night....I mean debut.

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
I thought Fred was going to puke midway through the second half. I tried to warn some of you about the expectations for this team. I was a big Miles defender until late but this year was going to be really rough IMO no matter who the coach was. Our only hope would have been for Miles to have a really good year and then be able to snag some quality big guys late. Didn't happen.

This is going to be a rough year and there's nothing we, Moos or Fred can do about it. We just need to be patient and let Fred recruit and coach em up. Keep the right attitude and don't piss your pants over this deal. This is really completely starting from scratch. He's shown the ability to bring in the top 2 JUCO guards in the country that lots of good programs wanted. He'll get us there.

I thought Fred was going to puke midway through the second half. I tried to warn some of you about the expectations for this team. I was a big Miles defender until late but this year was going to be really rough IMO no matter who the coach was. Our only hope would have been for Miles to have a really good year and then be able to snag some quality big guys late. Didn't happen.

This is going to be a rough year and there's nothing we, Moos or Fred can do about it. We just need to be patient and let Fred recruit and coach em up. Keep the right attitude and don't piss your pants over this deal. This is really completely starting from scratch. He's shown the ability to bring in the top 2 JUCO guards in the country that lots of good programs wanted. He'll get us there.
Right, people think the football program is a ground up rebuild. This thing is like trying to build from scratch in a swamp using a shovel and a hammer.

I thought Fred was going to puke midway through the second half. I tried to warn some of you about the expectations for this team. I was a big Miles defender until late but this year was going to be really rough IMO no matter who the coach was.

If anyone had high expectations or thoughts of a decent record they are nuts. Loooong ways to go with this thing. Unfortunately, Husker fans typically have zero patience and will get all pissy way early on.

Reactions: Huskred01
If anyone had high expectations or thoughts of a decent record they are nuts. Loooong ways to go with this thing. Unfortunately, Husker fans typically have zero patience and will get all pissy way early on.
The one good thing is that hopefully this shocks people in to reality. It's going to be really tough on concession revenue for PBA this year I'm afraid.

Basketball shouldn't take as along as football. ONE more good recruiting class could make a huge difference for Fred. TWO guys could really change things almost immediately.
For elite recruits yes. Below elite but Good hs recruits typically need development time. Think of Roby. Not very good in year 1. After 3 years he was ready for nba

For elite recruits yes. Below elite but Good hs recruits typically need development time. Think of Roby. Not very good in year 1. After 3 years he was ready for nba
There are quite a few true freshmen guys who can come in and make a team like NU better almost immediately. I'm not talking win the B1G good. I'm talking back to the level Miles had us at last year. The kid from South Dakota who committed to Wisconsin would come in and immediately start right now for Hoiberg and make the team better. He'll play right away probably for Wisconsin too but no way he's elite.

Wasn't the huskers predicted to finish last in conference. This team can only meet or beat expectations. Will see how much if any improvements are made by conference play. GBR

Reactions: jonesy5960
He only won 3 conference games his first year at ISU. They went dancing every year after that.

If the team isn't showing any progress late in Year 2 like the football team, then I'll start to worry.

5 years is a long time in basketball years.
I figure it will be 5 years before Nebraska will be a serious threat to win the B1G title, it will take above the Nebraska average in recruiting to get that done. I know, get a few players and all of a sudden things change. After 4 years of solid recruiting (hopefully) I would say they could be ready for a challenge in year five. We're talking Nebraska Basketball here, so there's a LOT of work to do, just like the other team we talk about a lot on this board.;)

Means someone has whispered in his ear that a better offer could come if he waits, depending on how things shake out for the blue bloods. Or, he's not eligible yet. Is he a good student?

Not a positive development

I'm going to get a top detective on this and find out why:

PERRY%2BGUNITE.png

Agreed, and I'm pretty excited to watch the process. Fred Hoiberg is our head basketball coach and he will get this thing figured out. For once, we hired a known commodity and not some mid-major coach.

Not a positive development

Meh. He's going to wait and make sure the mob doesn't run Frost out of town. We'll be fine. I think he's smart to make sure the coach he signs with is on solid ground before he puts ink to paper. Kids live on social media and all of the social media angst and criticism of Frost is bound to have an effect. What the kids NEED to know though is that social media does NOT reflect the decision makers' feelings.

I have waaaaaay more confidence in Fred building a good program than Scott.

B-ball will be an annual tourney team. Fball I’ll just be hoping for 6 wins the next few years.

I have waaaaaay more confidence in Fred building a good program than Scott.

B-ball will be an annual tourney team. Fball I’ll just be hoping for 6 wins the next few years.
Fred I think needs at least one more recruiting class and he needs to find some strong 6'8" + guys. Frost will be fine too as long as people don't lose their mind. Considering that Riley won 8 here I think Frost will have little trouble WITH TIME getting us back above that. We virtually had 2 very weak recruiting classes thanks to the washouts from Riley's 2017 class and the weak 2018 transition class. That takes time to develop players to overcome that. a

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT