ADVERTISEMENT

Omaha Biliew in the portal.

Just don't mess up "amount" with "number," or confuse the purpose of hyphens and dashes, and I'm good.

The AP Stylebook got rid of the distinction between "more than" and "over" a few years ago, so the bow-tie tut-tutters (I don't own one, but I tut-tut often) are losing.
You’re a journalism educator, right? God bless you, and lord knows there is much to be legitimately taught and learned at any age including mine about how to write clearly and accurately. I just think some of the edicts go a little far, that’s all. Who am I to say, though?****in’ nobody, that’s who … thankfully I’m out of the loop.

Reactions: 9and4
Just don't mess up "amount" with "number," or confuse the purpose of hyphens and dashes, and I'm good.

The AP Stylebook got rid of the distinction between "more than" and "over" a few years ago, so the bow-tie tut-tutters (I don't own one, but I tut-tut often) are losing.
That came a few years after AP finally recognized website as a word, and no longer insisted on Web site. Probably caused a few on the AP etiquette team to breathe into a brown paper bag.

• Haha
Reactions: gomerxx and 9and4
You’re a journalism educator, right? God bless you, and lord knows there is much to be legitimately taught and learned at any age including mine about how to write clearly and accurately. I just think some of the edicts go a little far, that’s all. Who am I to say, though?****in’ nobody, that’s who … thankfully I’m out of the loop.
I'm in my "retirement" job, now, teaching at a private university without a journalism program, so I'm a little less ornery about grammatical perfection than I was at the large public university j-schools I taught at before.

I can blame the faculty at the UNL College of Journalism in the early '80s for my language obsession.

In general, we're entering an historical period of "second orality," where the written word will count for much less than it does today, especially as AI takes over the writing function at so many corporations, and as every Tom, Dick, Harry and Jamele produces a podcast.

All I've ever really been able to build in my life are sentences, paragraphs, and readable news stories. Thank goodness I'm old now and don't have to live much longer with all the TV babble that has sneaked into news and sports writing.

Last edited:
I'm in my "retirement" job, now, teaching at a private university without a journalism program, so I'm a little less ornery about grammatical perfection than I was at the large public university j-schools I taught at before.

I can blame the faculty at the UNL College of Journalism in the early '80s for my language obsession.

In general, we're entering an historical period of "second orality," where the written word will count for much less than it does today, especially as AI takes over the writing function at so many corporations, and as every Tom, Dick, Harry and Jamele produces a podcast.

All I've ever really been able to build in my life are sentences, paragraphs, and readable news stories. Thank goodness I'm old now and don't have to live much longer with all the TV babble that has sneaked into news and sports writing.
Reminds me of a joke:

Cowboy enrolls at Harvard. First day on campus he stops a preppie and asks "Hey, can you tell me where the library's at?"
Preppie responds "sir, here at Harvard, we don't end sentences with a prepositions."

Cowboy thinks about a second before asking "Hey, can you tell me where the library's at, asshole?"

Reminds me of a joke:

Cowboy enrolls at Harvard. First day on campus he stops a preppie and asks "Hey, can you tell me where the library's at?"
Preppie responds "sir, here at Harvard, we don't end sentences with a prepositions."

Cowboy thinks about a second before asking "Hey, can you tell me where the library's at, asshole?"
😆😆😆my daughter just graduated from Harvodd. That joke is 100% accurate. You should hear the grammar discussions she and my wife have. Damn I’m tired of being corrected😂

Merriam-Webster says you can end a sentence with a preposition. The internet goes off

An authority on the English language has set us free from the tethers of what many have long regarded as a grammatical no-no. Or has it?

The answer depends on how you side with a declaration from Merriam-Webster:

"It is permissible in English for a preposition to be what you end a sentence with," the dictionary publisher said in a post shared on Instagram last week. "The idea that it should be avoided came from writers who were trying to align the language with Latin, but there is no reason to suggest ending a sentence with a preposition is wrong."
I'm free! Now I just need to figure out what word to end this sentence with...

Reactions: 9and4
😆😆😆my daughter just graduated from Harvodd. That joke is 100% accurate. You should hear the grammar discussions she and my wife have. Damn I’m tired of being corrected😂
My son couldn't get in . He was white and a male. Nice visit. Talked to a gentleman at a bus stop. He was a professor there retired. He said let me guess, you're from the midwest. I said yes sir from Nebraska, how did you know. He said because you're not afraid to strike up a conversation with a stranger that also happens to be black.

I forgot to add, he was origianlly from Iowa.

Last edited:
hows-bragging-camp-zach-galifianakis.gif

My son couldn't get in . He was white and a male. Nice visit. Talked to a gentleman at a bus stop. He was a professor their retired. He said let me guess, you're from the midwest. I said yes sir from Nebraska, how did you know. He said because you're not afraid to strike up a conversation with a stranger that also happens to be black.
"Was a professor THERE, retired.". 😆

My son couldn't get in . He was white and a male. Nice visit. Talked to a gentleman at a bus stop. He was a professor their retired. He said let me guess, you're from the midwest. I said yes sir from Nebraska, how did you know. He said because you're not afraid to strike up a conversation with a stranger that also happens to be black.
Not surprising.the White male is the most discriminated person in the world today.

Not surprising.the White male is the most discriminated person in the world today.
My oldest was just told that the promotion he was up for at NASA wasn’t likely to happen because he wouldn’t “advance diversity”. 😡

My son couldn't get in . He was white and a male. Nice visit. Talked to a gentleman at a bus stop. He was a professor there retired. He said let me guess, you're from the midwest. I said yes sir from Nebraska, how did you know. He said because you're not afraid to strike up a conversation with a stranger that also happens to be black.

I forgot to add, he was origianlly from Iowa.
Ha! Literally no chance to get in right now.

Ha! Literally no chance to get in right now.
Pretty much only if you’re a white male immigrant or son of an alumnus donor. Actually though in admissions to top colleges Asian males are more discriminated against than white males. There’s quotas on how many some schools will let in as a percentage of their class.

Gawd this stuff makes me laugh. It only took 1 generation to go from discrimination doesn't matter, pull yourself up by your boot straps and fight through it, to woe is me, my white son's don't get a fair shake.

Sometimes I tuck my little white boys in at night and think they don't have a chance. Ha.

Gawd this stuff makes me laugh. It only took 1 generation to go from discrimination doesn't matter, pull yourself up by your boot straps and fight through it, to woe is me, my white son's don't get a fair shake.

Sometimes I tuck my little white boys in at night and think they don't have a chance. Ha.
Sorry just stating facts. I'll quit with that being said because you won't want to hear more

Pretty much only if you’re a white male immigrant or son of an alumnus donor. Actually though in admissions to top colleges Asian males are more discriminated against than white males. There’s quotas on how many some schools will let in as a percentage of their class.
Yep...I work in the school system and white dude or asian dude and you are not getting into harvard right now.

Sorry just stating facts. I'll quit with that being said because you won't want to hear more
Feel free to say whatever you want. White guys complaining about Harvard admissions or NASA promotions is just funny to me. Amazingly we have a Husker message board full of Harvard connections.

Are there stupid hiring and admission policies? Sure. That's pretty much true for our entire history. Is it going to hold white men back? Really, really doubtful.

• Love
Reactions: mgbreis
Yep...I work in the school system and white dude or asian dude and you are not getting into harvard right now.
Working in schools, you and I have seen things...

We are finding out more and more about some of these discriminatory practices. They are not fair and have disastrous consequences.

However, just to provide some perspective, some of the people today who complain about modern discrimination absolutely would have (and in some cases, still do) denied that racial or gender discrimination was rampant for much of our history, much to the detriment of today's "preferred" groups. I'm not in any way justifying it; in all cases, it is wrong AND does not serve society well. But there is a lot if hypocrisy on the subject.

Feel free to say whatever you want. White guys complaining about Harvard admissions or NASA promotions is just funny to me. Amazingly we have a Husker message board full of Harvard connections.

Are there stupid hiring and admission policies? Sure. That's pretty much true for our entire history. Is it going to hold white men back? Really, really doubtful.
We have been conditioned to look at this through a racial lens, but I think it is more accurate to look at it through a generational and socio-economic lens. If your parents are rich, you're still getting in. And older generations of white males absolutely benefited from the way things were at that time.

Working in schools, you and I have seen things...

We are finding out more and more about some of these discriminatory practices. They are not fair and have disastrous consequences.

However, just to provide some perspective, some of the people today who complain about modern discrimination absolutely would have (and in some cases, still do) denied that racial or gender discrimination was rampant for much of our history, much to the detriment of today's "preferred" groups. I'm not in any way justifying it; in all cases, it is wrong AND does not serve society well. But there is a lot if hypocrisy on the subject.
Oh yeah, I am not complaining about it at all. I am just saying how it sort of is going right now.

Harvard is private and as far as I am concerned they can let in or deny who they want. Whatever they think will work best for them is what they should do.

Reactions: HuskerO and 90sman
We have been conditioned to look at this through a racial lens, but I think it is more accurate to look at it through a generational and socio-economic lens. If your parents are rich, you're still getting in. And older generations of white males absolutely benefited from the way things were at that time.
Yep. Is all I'm saying is that white guys complaining about their sons not getting a fair shake is funny.

If we want to look into unfair advantages how about we look at white women with large breasts. We joke all the time at my house about what it would take for my wife to actually get a ticket while driving, compared to us males. She can get 6 to 10 warnings a year, but no tickets, ever.

Reactions: mgbreis
Yep. Is all I'm saying is that white guys complaining about their sons not getting a fair shake is funny.

If we want to look into unfair advantages how about we look at white women with large breasts. We joke all the time at my house about what it would take for my wife to actually get a ticket while driving, compared to us males. She can get 6 to 10 warnings a year, but no tickets, ever.
A smoking hot girl literally has it made.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Oh yeah, I am not complaining about it at all. I am just saying how it sort of is going right now.

Harvard is private and as far as I am concerned they can let in or deny who they want. Whatever they think will work best for them is what they should do.
Baccalaureate and Commencement were interesting. The lesbian minister and the prime minister of New Zealand drew cheers from about 60% of the guests with their outrageous speeches. The remaining 40% just stared in disbelief. I sat next to 2 Harvard law grads. Super nice people and he said he had worked for Tip ONeill for 13 years. He lamented the current state of affairs in our country. I didn’t ask about his daughter’s degree.

Baccalaureate and Commencement were interesting. The lesbian minister and the prime minister of New Zealand drew cheers from about 60% of the guests with their outrageous speeches. The remaining 40% just stared in disbelief. I sat next to 2 Harvard law grads. Super nice people and he said he had worked for Tip ONeill for 13 years. He lamented the current state of affairs in our country. I didn’t ask about his daughter’s degree.
Well, they are super fake liberal institutions, which is fine they are clearly going a route that they feel will be the "safest" for them, I get it.

But in the end they are a hugely endowed (like me) good ole boys club. That has a wide reaching arm and huge net of influence and control.

I have a student heading off to school sort of in that area and her roommate is going to be a guy that is becoming a girl. 30 years ago that would have been a funny movie that you stayed up late at night to watch on HBO.

• Wow
Reactions: dinglefritz
Well, they are super fake liberal institutions, which is fine they are clearly going a route that they feel will be the "safest" for them, I get it.

But in the end they are a hugely endowed (like me) good ole boys club. That has a wide reaching arm and huge net of influence and control.

I have a student heading off to school sort of in that area and her roommate is going to be a guy that is becoming a girl. 30 years ago that would have been a funny movie that you stayed up late at night to watch on HBO.
Mmmm that wouldn’t fly for my daughter. She had a friend who had to swim against that trannie dude with obvious crotch equipment. Her and her friends thought it was ridiculous and blatantly unfair. Theres no way in hell I would allow a trannie dude to room with my daughter nor would she have put up with it.

Does that mean the other kid down to us and them is N??? Fuller I think? The athletic freak? This could be good news

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT