ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio St offers Carlon Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I have heard is when Casey said NU NIL money is greater than Texas. Wish I had a better understanding. You would think we could compete for a 5 star here or there. The real question in my mind isn't how much money is available, but what is the strategy? Everyone gets a taste or focus on top talent sand ignore the rest?
Casey’s NIL money at NU was better than Texas bc Texas wasn’t going to shell out for a backup QB with shoulder issues

Well then we are screwed. Because today you need a lot of money to buy the best players.
Or you’re better at development and getting the best out of the players you get. IF Rhule can start putting more players in the league NIL might not be as important. You can’t show the NFL what you can do if your ass is planted on the bench behind 4 other 4 and 5 stars.

Casey’s NIL money at NU was better than Texas bc Texas wasn’t going to shell out for a backup QB with shoulder issues
True different schools are willing to pay players different amounts because they have a salary cap based off their income (if they aren't lying to kids, some schools are). Ohio St has lost 2 of its top 3 DL targets to South Carolina and Miami! Which would have never happened in the past.

True different schools are willing to pay players different amounts because they have a salary cap based off their income (if they aren't lying to kids, some schools are). Ohio St has lost 2 of its top 3 DL targets to South Carolina and Miami! Which would have never happened in the past.

Which of the two 5-star DL were not in their Top 3 targets?

Wel
Or you’re better at development and getting the best out of the players you get. IF Rhule can start putting more players in the league NIL might not be as important. You can’t show the NFL what you can do if your ass is planted on the bench behind 4 other 4 and 5 stars.
Well said. Let's hope that turns out to be the case. I love Rhule and what he is doing. But I hope Husker fans understand that what he is doing is building a program, a system, a way of doing things. And that is very Osborne-like. But it is going to take four or five years to get his program to where it is as you describe on a consistent basis.

As Rhule builds Nebraska back we're going to have to stomach competition from higher echelon programs. Start worrying if Ohio State isn't interested in any of our recruits. It's not good news....but it's just part of modern CFB.

Good post. I share your concerns. Recruiting was always my concern with Rhule regardless of today's NIL landscape. But, I don't think we need to press the panic button just yet. Rhule appears to be getting more out of less like he's done at his previous stops. My hope is this is a longer term plan to build with so we can show we're an appealing destination down the road.

Today, we'd need to drastically overpay any of the elite players in the NIL game. Those players are going to be offered big money from much more appealing programs than us. So, we'd have to money whip the crap out of almost all of them. We may not be willing or able to do that.

But, start stacking up a few years of Rhule doing more with less and showing he can get guys to the league and being able to illustrate that we're just a few elite players away from being a top 10 team, those elite NIL players start to become more realistic.

It may take a few years, but I can see that plan working. Or at least that's my hope.
Where were you guys when I was saying this and catching strays from the HI braintrust? LOL.

Yes. Like happened with Hausman after last year. The upper level of teams will pluck the best of from the mid and low level teams.
At this point is there any doubt that Michigan tampered in this case? Almost certainly they contacted him first and during the season.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I don't think I did? LOL. Although I assume he asked for them to pay up for Sims, which was obviously a mistake.
You piss and moan about Rhule’s recruiting. You rail on NIL not being up to snuff. It doesn’t take a genius to see that if NIL is not where it’s supposed to be, recruiting will also suffer. You are saying as much. But Rhule’s recruiting sucks? Pull your head out and be objective about all of this.

You piss and moan about Rhule’s recruiting. You rail on NIL not being up to snuff. It doesn’t take a genius to see that if NIL is not where it’s supposed to be, recruiting will also suffer. You are saying as much. But Rhule’s recruiting sucks? Pull your head out and be objective about all of this.
Yes, both of those are true. If you know anything about NIL we seem to be doing something weird with it when we should be buying new talent. And Rhule doesn't seem to be a great closer of top level talent. It's kind of connected, but Rhule isn't "in charge" of NIL.

Yes, both of those are true. If you know anything about NIL we seem to be doing something weird with it when we should be buying new talent. And Rhule doesn't seem to be a great closer of top level talent. It's kind of connected, but Rhule isn't "in charge" of NIL.
How is he supposed to close if we are woefully underfunded? Which of you dearth of better choices than Rhule would be closers? Leipold is the only one you have come out saying we should have gotten. Would he close better?

Again, it can’t be both. How is Rhule supposed to close with our NIL? Simple question, waiting for your brilliance.

Not in charge yes. How they prioritize "needs and wants" I would be surprised if they are not in communication with nil people on what they need. You're not going to have $ being thrown out there willy nilly for positions not needed

Reactions: BleedRed78
How is he supposed to close if we are woefully underfunded? Which of you dearth of better choices than Rhule would be closers? Leipold is the only one you have come out saying we should have gotten. Would he close better?

Again, it can’t be both. How is Rhule supposed to close with our NIL? Simple question, waiting for your brilliance.
You folks have really latched on to Leipold for some reason, I think I gave 5 names of people I wanted.

You folks have really latched on to Leipold for some reason, I think I gave 5 names of people I wanted.
Answer the question please. How is any coach supposed to recruit here if NIL is suspect?

Answer the question please. How is any coach supposed to recruit here if NIL is suspect?
I have no idea, but I'm not getting paid 9 million to do it. If I was, I'd figure it out. I don't know how to make a movie either, but when one sucks I can tell.

I don't know how to make a movie either
your wife said this was yours?

51e5937e-59b3-4e78-b502-b7c7c794d314_how-to-photograph-home-interiors-and-bedrooms-main-4.jpg

I have no idea, but I'm not getting paid 9 million to do it. If I was, I'd figure it out. I don't know how to make a movie either, but when one sucks I can tell.
Kind of like your logic and your posts. What a dummy.

• Haha
Reactions: kakdawg
The only thing I have heard is when Casey said NU NIL money is greater than Texas. Wish I had a better understanding. You would think we could compete for a 5 star here or there. The real question in my mind isn't how much money is available, but what is the strategy? Everyone gets a taste or focus on top talent and ignore the rest?
here's a breakdown of NIL 'industry value comparison' Texas vs. Nebraska. You'll find this educational...

my math skills are fuzzy sometimes, but for this particular class I think they're paying theirs like 10x what we are. Not double or even triple.... closer to 'Add a Zero'. I'd also love to 'know our strategy'. If there even is one.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I don't think I did? LOL. Although I assume he asked for them to pay up for Sims, which was obviously a mistake.
Sims was a huge miss, but it's not like Rhule's the only coach that wanted him. Rankings of portal QB's pretty consistently had him in the top 10ish area. As someone else pointed out, at least Rhule made the change instead of stubbornly sticking with "his guy." That has been an issue around here for years so it's a move in the right direction.

with a really bad beard dye job and rosy red cheeks. guys a freaky looking dude with (Im assuming) small man syndrome.
I am not one to find fault with those who would dare not be a Husker, but Day is weird looking guy. I mean, it looks for all the world he is done up professionally for hair and makeup. Elfin magic?

As opposed to our coach who appears to have slept on a park bench and smells of last night's cheap liquor. I'll take the more casual personality.

• Haha
Reactions: MissoulaHusker
Great to have players that OSU has an interest in. Means we are going in the right direction.
That's true. It's better than the Frost years where he'd take highly ranked guys that no one else wanted and call it a success.

I am not one to find fault with those who would dare not be a Husker, but Day is weird looking guy. I mean, it looks for all the world he is done up professionally for hair and makeup. Elfin magic?

As opposed to our coach who appears to have slept on a park bench and smells of last night's cheap liquor. I'll take the more casual personality.
I don't give two craps what any coach looks like. A) they're dudes, and B) they're dudes. Also, Ryan Day is half psycho and only cares about winning and has expressed superstitions about messing with the beard when they're winning (which is always). I guess if there's nothing else to criticize about him as a coach then go with the looks. Kinda like when Nebraska was winning earlier this season and half of this board was focused on Rhule licking his lips? Fans are weird.

He really doesn’t. Never has. He would rather give money for cancer research and treatment facilities. Damn him🙄
Splitting hairs because he does give to causes he deems worthy (population control, health, etc. in third world countries, along with his buddy Gates), but if you're thinking of the Buffett Cancer Center in Omaha, that's not from Warren.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Good post. I share your concerns. Recruiting was always my concern with Rhule regardless of today's NIL landscape. But, I don't think we need to press the panic button just yet. Rhule appears to be getting more out of less like he's done at his previous stops. My hope is this is a longer term plan to build with so we can show we're an appealing destination down the road.

Today, we'd need to drastically overpay any of the elite players in the NIL game. Those players are going to be offered big money from much more appealing programs than us. So, we'd have to money whip the crap out of almost all of them. We may not be willing or able to do that.

But, start stacking up a few years of Rhule doing more with less and showing he can get guys to the league and being able to illustrate that we're just a few elite players away from being a top 10 team, those elite NIL players start to become more realistic.

It may take a few years, but I can see that plan working. Or at least that's my hope.
Rhule recruited pretty elite dudes to Baylor. He will do just fine here with way better resources.

Dual hypothetical benefits to this: proven NFL development will attract more players, but also having more guys being paid NFL money could mean some extra cash back to the NIL collective.

Another thing that would help is national sponsorships, not just local. Caleb Williams gets to do Nissan Heisman commercials now. But that's not so easy.

Rhule recruited pretty elite dudes to Baylor. He will do just fine here with way better resources.
ehhhh that's not exactly accurate. Never cracked the top 30 as a class, and never signed up more than three 4-star athletes to any class. No 5-stars. At Baylor. Just metrically, he has never 'recruited elite talent' at any level.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I personally think NIL is a horrible investment. Kids aren’’t required to stay at our school. In 3 or 4 years they move on and you start all over again. It’s an endless cycle of more more more. I hate what it’s done to college football and has dampened my interest.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT