ADVERTISEMENT

Official Northwestern Week Thread

maly

Graduate Assistant
Dec 10, 2003
What are your feelings about this upcoming game? Here's mine.

I liked Rhules message at the PC. I think he can smell a trap game and he's trying to keep the troops unified and focused.

I love that Reimer is back. He's our best all around LB.

I like that we're at home. Should help with OL penalties we had at Illinois. I still think we'll have 2 to 4, but I don't expect 8 or 9.

I haven't watched Northwestern, but a quick look at some box scores, seems they've struggled to run the ball and stop the run in many games. Not to mention squeaking by Howard.

I expect our D to stuff the run. The question will be our pass rush and coverage. Here's where I like Reimer covering TEs and RBs.

We commit to the run, get stuffed often but we bust just enough big runs and chunk pass plays to win the field position battle and have a long TD or two.

Heinrich throws a pick, we lose a fumble but we get 2 picks ourselves to even the TO battle.

We give up a few too many big pass plays but bow up in the redzone. We win 21-13.

This game will be a grind. Very easily could lose if we do the usual eff ups. It's a game we could win by 28 but we're not quite there yet.

Lemme know your predictions.

Last edited:
revenge of the nerds 80s GIF

nerds GIF

edit:
Huskers - 26

Nerds - 6 (could be 13 with a garbage time NW td. Also, Alvano hits 2 field goals but misses an extra point)

Last edited:
It starts at the coin toss. If we win, take the ball. Score a touchdown. Crowd goes crazy.

Northwestern gets the kick and starts at the 20 yard line. Black shirts go crazy all game.

31-10 Big Red

I saw NW at Rutgers on opening day. NW was TERRIBLE! but I think they have come back a bit. Still, this should be an easy win and a loss to this team at home would be catastrophic IMO to the psyche of the fans, staff, and players.
DO NOT SPEAK OF A LOSS.
This is Northwestern. Without Fitz. Nebraska with a competent coach. Wont be close.
NU 42
Shower rapists 10

DONU runs for 400 gives up less than 200 and all is right in Lincoln for the week.........maybe 3 or more?

I liked a lot of Rhule's PC as well but I would just as soon he stuck to the TO boring standard of "We feel we're facing a real fine team in Northwestern, and we have our work cut out for us next Saturday" rather than getting into the team's psyche and reasons for losing in the 2nd half of our seasons lately.

I'm expecting the Blackshirts to continue to improve and hope to see the offense figuring out ways to move the ball more consistently, and cut down on the errors.

Reactions: Rocky Mtn Husker
DO NOT SPEAK OF A LOSS.
This is Northwestern. Without Fitz. Nebraska with a competent coach. Wont be close.
NU 42
Shower rapists 10

DONU runs for 400 gives up less than 200 and all is right in Lincoln for the week.........maybe 3 or more?
Their interim coach is looking like a better head coach than Fitz.

Reactions: huntered
What are your feelings about this upcoming game? Here's mine.

I liked Rhules message at the PC. I think he can smell a trap game and he's trying to keep the troops unified and focused.

I love that Reimer is back. He's our best all around LB.

I like that we're at home. Should help with OL penalties we had at Illinois. I still think we'll have 2 to 4, but I don't expect 8 or 9.

I haven't watched Northwestern, but a quick look at some box scores, seems they've struggled to run the ball and stop the run in many games. Not to mention squeaking by Howard.

I expect our D to stuff the run. The question will be our pass rush and coverage. Here's where I like Reimer covering TEs and RBs.

We commit to the run, get stuffed often but we bust just enough big runs and chunk pass plays to win the field position battle and have a long TD or two.

Heinrich throws a pick, we lose a fumble but we get 2 picks ourselves to even the TO battle.

We give up a few too many big pass plays but bow up in the redzone. We win 21-13.

This game will be a grind. Very easily could lose if we do the usual eff ups. It's a game we could win by 28 but we're not quite there yet.

Lemme know your predictions.
Worried about the loud NW fans making noise had this game been on the road?

Reactions: maly
A lot of blowout type scores here. NW has proven to be pretty scrappy this year even though they are horrible.

I would imagine this will be a quick game, with a lot of running. Probably a 20-10 type game.

Reactions: maly
I liked a lot of Rhule's PC as well but I would just as soon he stuck to the TO boring standard of "We feel we're facing a real fine team in Northwestern, and we have our work cut out for us next Saturday" rather than getting into the team's psyche and reasons for losing in the 2nd half of our seasons lately.

I'm expecting the Blackshirts to continue to improve and hope to see the offense figuring out ways to move the ball more consistently, and cut down on the errors.
I'm in the other camp that if all I hear in a PC is the boring standard, there isn't much use in me listening. I'm somewhat fascinated by Rhule's approach to motivation and psychology and don't mind hearing about it.

Besides, once you got used to Osborne-speak you could separate the wheat from the chaff. I agree he would say, "We feel we're facing a real fine team in Northwestern, and we have our work cut out for us next Saturday." But then he would go on to say, "We will have to keep an eye on who they play at QB and will make adjustments if necessary if ball security is a problem." That let you know they were installing two defensive game plans, one for a passing QB and one for a running QB, and Grant would be on an ultra-short leash.

I enjoy the semi blowout predictions based on NW not being very good. So NU is good?
I mean, Nu has some strengths but you can't call them a good team. And by and large(reminds me of a girl I dated in high school) we can't find the endzone and we've decided to employ a field goal kicker who misses most of the time.
I'll borrow a phrase from the announcers at the 95 season Fiesta Bowl. " How many qb keepers can one team run".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT