ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive adjustments

Dean Pope

Head Coach
Oct 11, 2001
It's clear that teams have figured out how to defend Raiola and this offense. It started when Colorado made some adjustments and shut us out in the 2nd half. Struggled in the 2nd half vs. Northern Iowa. One TD in 2nd half vs. Illinois and an offensive debacle in OT. Scoreless first half vs. Purdue. Top all of that off with only three TDs total in the last two games.

My question is there anyone out there who actually breaks down tape and can tell us what the hell is going on? What are teams specifically doing against us that is dealing us fits? Obviously we've got some weaknesses on offense that teams are exploiting.

I heard numerous people on call in shows criticizing the play calling or the offensive line. It's a bigger problem than that.

We run a “pro-style” offense with multiple personnel groups and formations. The problem is you can easily tell what play we are going to do given how we are lined up. Schematically we’re pretty basic out of these formations and just expect our guys to go out and win their matchups. There are very few passing concepts that scheme a guy free. I saw one yesterday with Raiola pump faking, then taking the hole shot to Neyor. And are run game is as basic as a middle school playbook.

Look at Indiana’s offense, they came out in a similar look almost every snap, shifting their receivers around somewhat. Point being it’s not nearly as predictable. And on top of that it’s a tried a true system predicated on RPOs. It’s meant to make things simple for the QB. Indiana’s QB had 2-3 options most plays. Raiola typically has 3-5 progressions in the routes he’s looking down field at.

It doesn't seem like our WR get open. Every throw is contested, causing DR to check down every play or throw into coverage. Neyor has had 3 catches in the last 2 games. He was big for us at the beginning of the year.

Reactions: HuskAir
No question Satterfield isn’t the play caller we need but than again or offensive line really needs to get better in the future, can’t wait for Bernhardt to exit this program.. Jump off sides after a freaking timeout as a senior on inexcusable..😡

Reactions: Dylman and Baxter48
The problem with the offense is fundamentals.

It starts with play calling. I think Satt uses about 10 plays and hopes for the best. There are no misdirection plays, quick strike passes, or adaptation to your competition. They had 2 WEEKS to improve the offense; instead, it worsened. It's hard to protect the quarterback when the defense knows what's coming. Hell, I know what's coming.

DR is not setting his before throwing, a long time complaint of Rule. DR can not get past man-to-man coverage. It has been glaring for 3-4 weeks now, but nothing to combat this. I'm not sure if it is DR problem or WR problem, but it is a huge glaring problem. DR is holding on to the ball way too long in the pocket, throw the grenade son, it is going to kill you!

I am far from an expert, but these novice eyes see the definition of insanity in the offensive structure; calling the same plays over and over again, hoping for a better result, never works. Take your current playbook, burn the MFer, and start with a new one, one that plays to the team's strength, not your stubborn streak. It took teams 3 weeks last year to figure out HH, and no changes were made to counteract that. It took teams about 3 weeks this year to figure out DR, now no adjustments. Second verse same as the first. I'm Satter the eighth I am I am...

I feel sorry for the team next week, it will be worse than this week. Unlike this staff, tOSU will tinker and make improvements. They will be in a very pissed off mood and look to obliterate NU completely...

This offseason, beginning in November, serious decisions must be made on this staff. A bloodletting is needed.

Reactions: Dylman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT