ADVERTISEMENT

Off Topic Thread: What brings you joy?

We're all free to express our opinions on things that we have knowledge of lack knowledge of.

I do have a couple of constants however: I've been married 48 years and I don't take advice from people who've never been married or been divorced.

I also don't take financial advise from people who are always broke.
I have a golf buddy who thinks he should give me advice about my marriage all the time. His qualification seems to be that he has been married three times.

I don’t listen.

I have a golf buddy who thinks he should give me advice about my marriage all the time. His qualification seems to be that he has been married three times.

I don’t listen.
What kind of advice does he give you?

And, how can he afford to golf with 3 ex-wives!

• Haha
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Would you take spelling advice from a broke guy? Haha

No joke, I had to look it up just now to see if I was using the right word or not! Hahaha, that is how lame I am at spelling.
There, their, they're are words that are misused in here everyday of the week. As long as we know the intent, the spelling isn't that big of a deal.

Reactions: meo1960

I don’t listen.
Best advise my Catholic Priest gave me during pre-Canaan (pre-wedding) meetings.

1. Read your vows 10 times a day for 3 weeks BEFORE you get to the altar. Than decide to move forward or not.
2. Make money and support your family, so that your wife doesn't have to work. A lot of money can create a some of problems, but it usually solves most of them.
3. Study your mother-in-law. You may not like her, but she ends up being your wife's best friend later in life. You have to deal with her.
4. 50% of a successful marriage is finding the right person. The other 50% is BEING the right person.

32 years and going strong!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: c3o and RBigredMax
Best advise my Catholic Priest gave me during pre-Canaan (pre-wedding) meetings.

1. Read your vows 10 times a day for 3 weeks BEFORE you get to the altar. Than decide to move forward or not.
2. Make money and support your family, so that your wife doesn't have to work. A lot of money can create a some of problems, but it usually solves most of them.
3. Study your mother-in-law. You may not like her, but she ends up being your wife's best friend later in life. You have to deal with her.
4. 50% of a successful marriage is finding the right person. The other 50% is BEING the right person.

I respectfuly disagree with both # 1 and # 2.
#3. I could not have loved and respected my mother in law more.
#4 You need to be with someone who is as tolerant of you as you are of her.
#4A. Most marriages are not fairy tales.

Like most things in life - you will get out of something what you put into it. Marriage is a great example - when both people put into it - it’s a wonderful thing. When one person doesn’t - it’s doomed for unhappiness. When both people don’t it’s an absolute train wreck.

I would highly recommend Gary Chapman’s - 5 love languages for those who are in that marriage purgatory it’s a quick read and could change your marriage!
5 love languages is good, but I think understanding "Attachment Styles" is even more critical to finding a happy relationship.

#2 probably has less to do with support and more to do with control. Sadly.

#3 is 100% accurate.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Pooping. I love the aura of calm and enlightenment that washes over me after grunting out a grand turd. “This is what it’s all about” I think as I wipe
A good dump with a college football magazine. Amen!

What kind of advice does he give you?

And, how can he afford to golf with 3 ex-wives!
He only has two ex-wives. He’s on his third. The thing that really pissed me off is when I had been married for about 20 years he got drunk and said that I did not love my wife.
He may have been right at the time, but it was a cruel thing to say, and ironic from someone who was on his third marriage. You may not always love your wife. She may not always love you. I think that is because a marriage is highly Influenced by outside pressures. But you made a commitment. So you stick it out, life gets better and so does the marriage. Because when life gets a little bit less hectic, you remember why you married her in the first place.
That is not probably the best way to handle marriage, I probably need to read some of those books. But I have been married for 32 years now, and we still understand that we belong together.

#2 probably has less to do with support and more to do with control. Sadly.

#3 is 100% accurate.
My wife stays at home. Her choice. She wants to be with the kids, and honestly I don't see a better alternative. She was a teacher but here in Indiana it's very political in the public schools and she found out it wasn't in her best interests to continue. While pregnant with our first son, she decided to get out of the profession and be with the kids - which is a huge workload.

Women are nurturing by their chemical makeup. Might also be why we tend to see them become teachers and nurses.

In my professional career I've rarely come across a woman in high position that wasn't terrible. Emotions can't conflict with decisions. Unfortunately, their logic is hampered by this. I have however seen women in sales that excel. Management is another story. Just my anecdotal observation.

Pooping. I love the aura of calm and enlightenment that washes over me after grunting out a grand turd. “This is what it’s all about” I think as I wipe
Get a bidet and you will have a new entry into what makes you happy. They are life changing. I have not bought tp in 13 years

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Get a bidet and you will have a new entry into what makes you happy. They are life changing. I have not bought tp in 13 years
You still gotta have toilet paper. Even in Japan, toilet paper by every glorious bidet toilet.
You either have the cleanest shits ever or sit on that bidet FOREVER. Lol

My wife stays at home. Her choice. She wants to be with the kids, and honestly I don't see a better alternative. She was a teacher but here in Indiana it's very political in the public schools and she found out it wasn't in her best interests to continue. While pregnant with our first son, she decided to get out of the profession and be with the kids - which is a huge workload.

Women are nurturing by their chemical makeup. Might also be why we tend to see them become teachers and nurses.

In my professional career I've rarely come across a woman in high position that wasn't terrible. Emotions can't conflict with decisions. Unfortunately, their logic is hampered by this. I have however seen women in sales that excel. Management is another story. Just my anecdotal observation.
You are pretty much spot on!

1. Walking up on a bird my setter has locked up on point
2. Eight inches of powder with no one within 50 yards of me
3. Being back in Nebraska sitting around a bonfire in an old horse pasture, drinking beer with friends I've known for 50 plus years.
4. Walking up and down a little creek in Central Montana catching small trout
5. Sitting on our front porch on a warm summer evening, Tanqueray and tonic in hand as neighbors stop by for a quick word with my wife or to pet the dogs.
6. Being anywhere on the water, from my small fishing boat to riding the ferry over to my friends' homes on Vashon Island (Water is a great buffer from the rest of the world)
7. Huskers winning

Reactions: Huskers123456

I think in your wife's case, she happened to marry the right man. Sadly, so many women don't and by their not working, over time it tends to make them so dependent upon their husband they lose a lot of authority that should be within the "rules" of marriage. Many, certainly not all, just stay in a marriage for the financial support, but not that much else.

A l-o-n-g time I ago, when we were first married, I told my wife that she would work at least 12-15 consecutive quarters in order to build the requirements that she would need to eventually draw Social Security. My mom married a bum, and she was nothing more than a dishwasher her entire career, retired with a not so hardy $ 438.00 a month. That's pathetic.

Obviously, I carry/carried a ton of life insurance during my kids years through college because I didn't want my wife or kids to grow up deprived of the basic needs that I failed to have unitl I grew up.

It made my wife a very strong, independent woman capable of raising my children even had I not been in the picture. We were blessed to have had my mother in law watch my children all the way until they reached their teens. All the values my wife had had instilled in her by my amazing, 2nd grade educated mother in law, was like having a "how-to-do-it" right person in charge of them.

I totally agree about women in power. THEY ARE THE EFFFING WORST, no doubt about it. They will steamroll men because they love to do it. They regret they weren't born with member.

Reactions: c3o
I think in your wife's case, she happened to marry the right man. Sadly, so many women don't and by their not working, over time it tends to make them so dependent upon their husband they lose a lot of authority that should be within the "rules" of marriage. Many, certainly not all, just stay in a marriage for the financial support, but not that much else.

A l-o-n-g time I ago, when we were first married, I told my wife that she would work at least 12-15 consecutive quarters in order to build the requirements that she would need to eventually draw Social Security. My mom married a bum, and she was nothing more than a dishwasher her entire career, retired with a not so hardy $ 438.00 a month. That's pathetic.

Obviously, I carry/carried a ton of life insurance during my kids years through college because I didn't want my wife or kids to grow up deprived of the basic needs that I failed to have unitl I grew up.

It made my wife a very strong, independent woman capable of raising my children even had I not been in the picture. We were blessed to have had my mother in law watch my children all the way until they reached their teens. All the values my wife had had instilled in her by my amazing, 2nd grade educated mother in law, was like having a "how-to-do-it" right person in charge of them.

I totally agree about women in power. THEY ARE THE EFFFING WORST, no doubt about it. They will steamroll men because they love to do it. They regret they weren't born with member.
In an ideal world, the right people get married. My wife would work if she had to because the kids safety and well-being is the top priority

However; that would not be ideal

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
I have had 3 bosses that were women. Two were HORRIBLE, not in terms of choices they made about work but just in how mean they were, they were just flat out mean.

The other one was amazing BUT she acted more like a dude, so...

I think your daughter would disagree 😉
This is probably another TLDR or as Walleye would say, TLDC, so read it or not.

When a female runs a Fortune 500 company with thousands of employees they can treat them like shit. When you own two daycares with less than 50 women employees, its a whole different approach.

So many employees are panting at the prospect of working at a large corporation, whereas, the lower level daycare workers make low to mid 20K a year, you're not dealing with highly educated people. And that's not to say they are stupid, but moreso, the majority haven't been to college and never set about to become wealthy, they just want to get by.

I think in 26 years, my daughter has only terminated 2 women and that's because they got stupid and posted some shit on Facebook that reflected badly on the behavior of some of the kids.

She has two women working for her still that began with her about 25 years ago, so her retention of long term employees speaks to how she treats them. By daycare standards, they are VERY well paid.

Unfortunately in that industry, you deal with a very high percentage of women without men in their lives, many are in jail, so they have been given the burden of raising their own kids. But, in this day and age, without professional training and or/education, if you can work for a daycare that provides greatly reduced cost daycare for 1-5 kids and still make 15-20 bucks an hour, its not that bad of a gig.

Her and I devised a pay system where each employee is rewarded for their ability to work with the certain age groups, and they receive pay increases and bonuses as they train for required continuing educational credits which make them valued employees which benefits them financially and further drives the business to become better and better.

It may surpise you but my grandson (her son) is her Office Manager and it is such a sophisticated operation for a daycare. He's been certified in Microsoft since about the 8th grade and constantly integrates more and better ways of streamlining everything.

His dad, my daughter's former husband is the #2 guy at Gallup as Project Director and is a software developer, writes programs for the large companies and is just smarter than heck. Her other son interned at Gallup while he was attending UNO and after he graduated was hired by a Fortune 500 company at age 22 and by age 23 was making 295K a year, basically as a hacker to go into companies and help them identify weaknesses in their system.

By the time he was 2 years old, he would hop on the chair in my office, turn on my computer with his own password and start playing educational games. As with many families, they are next level when it comes to technology. My daughter by far the weakest of that group. When I have a computer question, I can call any of the three guys and say, give me the 2 minute viersion of how to do that...

My daughter IS the owner and the boss, however, no major expenditures are made without my input. I have ZERO financial stake in either daycare, however, we have a long history of having made a lot of good decisions, so if it ain't broke, we don't try to fix it. My wife volunteers in the infant room and that's a place that is very hard to deal with. It takes a special type person. Although my wife and I have no financial stake in my daughter's businesses, we treat it like it was our own.

I've made this waaayyy too long, but I also go on Friday's and play games with the school age kids from 5-13 years old. Trivia, checker championships, age appropriate math questions, music trivia, Simon Says, memory games, just fun stuff things that we've been told that help many of those kids become more attentive in school, listen better to instructions since many of them lack those things at home. And we reward them with small toys, trinkets, a trip to the local swimming pools, lunch in a public park, etc that make them feel like they've accomplished something. Its amazing how attentive they can be when they know a trip to the Dairy Queen is at stake. LOL

As far as my comment on women who are CEO's, I know that's true, but you couldn't successfully operate this type of business if you overpowered your employees cause they'd just go to another daycare.

It's not, nor will it ever be a perfect operation, but that's our goal.

I have had 3 bosses that were women. Two were HORRIBLE, not in terms of choices they made about work but just in how mean they were, they were just flat out mean.

The other one was amazing BUT she acted more like a dude, so...
I 100% believe every word of this.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
I tried to order one with "Ain't No Stopping Us Now", but they said the only music available to Nebraska residents is "Hail Varsity." So I said, ahh shit cause you always have to stand up.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT