ADVERTISEMENT

Off Topic Thread: What brings you joy?

So many people who work so hard for a living in this thread.

1. I’d love to see them try to do what I do.

2. Seriously…and I mean seriously…if/when you go to some school board meeting or something, PLEASE talk about the number of admins and their pay AND how their pay NEVER gets stalled. They ALWAYS get bumped!!!!

3. Seriously, half of these admin are in some central office doing NOTHING until they are filling candy dishes for when the teachers have a “toolbox” meeting.

Anyone complaining about teacher pay(I get it, there are so many sh!tty teachers) need to attack the central office of the district first!!!

8ssbfw.jpg

2. Seriously…and I mean seriously…if/when you go to some school board meeting or something, PLEASE talk about the number of admins and their pay AND how their pay NEVER gets stalled. They ALWAYS get bumped!!!!

3. Seriously, half of these admin are in some central office doing NOTHING until they are filling candy dishes for when the teachers have a “toolbox” meeting.

Anyone complaining about teacher pay(I get it, there are so many sh!tty teachers) need to attack the central office of the district first!!!

This guy gets it.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch

Kudos for calling out bloated administration offices, it’s fvcking ridiculous.

I think schools should just do away with the horseshit holidays they have like MLK Day, President's Day, etc. Instead, just have the kids go to a 4 day week, (Tues - Fri) and forget the 5 day breaks for Spring Break and that way the teachers can do their so-called "In Service Days" every Monday.
That way, all those Federal Holidays are already factored in, so get their ass back in school on Tuesday.

Easter, Good Friday off but back in school Monday. Christmas break from about Dec 23 and return to school the first Tuesday in January.

It's no wonder we continue to pump out a bunch of stupid ass kids, they're rarely in school more than a 2-3 weeks at a time before another "break."

Kids need to learn, life is not about having a cushy work schedule their entire life.....unless they want to teach.
I mean, Americans work more hours than pretty much any country in the world, especially European countries.

The idea of a "cushy" work schedule is interesting and I would argue that for most people, they are now connected to their job 24/7/365. My guess is that almost everyone posting here answers work questions via the internet/email, well past the time they left the office and on the weekends. The fact that the work looks different today doesn't mean the schedule is not demanding. I am willing to bet that everyone here has "done work" while at the dinner table with their family. That never happened 25 years ago. The though of even calling a co-worker 25 years ago, after work, to give them more work to do would have been insane. Now, 24/7 those emails come in.

As far as stupid ass kids...kids today are also never disconnected from class. When you and I were kids, 3pm hit and that was it...3pm hit on a Friday and that was it until Monday.

Now, assignments are constantly uploaded to the students devices at all hours of the day. It would be like for you or me, back in the day, if we were home after school, relaxing and all of a sudden your teacher knocked on your door and gave you another assignment to do. I know everyone likes the "back in my day..." but students do more in school today then I ever did. AP classes are abundant, college credit classes, tech classes, CAD classes, Auto-CAD, health classes that do not just teach about sex but that actually get the kids CNA certified to work with patients.

The older people love the fauxstalgia over how much harder it was when they were in school and so on, every generation does it. Just like the music I liked growing up is better than the music that kids like today.

But what students do today and when they start doing it is years ahead of "back in the day"

It would be like saying medicine was better back in the day when they used leeches to cure a fever.

4 day school week is done in a few places, it is not popular. Not because of the kids and not because of teachers but because of parents. Same reason we still do school on a farming calendar. Parents are used to it so they freak out if there is change. Kids are adaptable and will pretty much follow the schedule given to them. But parents already have camps planned for summer, and trips to grandmas house and a vacation and so on.

And trust me, I do not think we are some super hard working field. Not at all, I would say it is like most jobs, it has good days and bad days. Our bad days might just be a lot worse and our good days a lot better.

Last edited:
I will add this...every fish anyone has ever caught...always gets bigger and bigger as more time has passed since the initial catch.

Ironically I hope this is also true for penis size! SORRY Kristen!

• Haha
Reactions: Spooked
Firing up the Weber and popping a couple of cold ones while the coals get to temperature, then grilling up a nice steak or some burgers. Sitting down with the family, knowing full well those days don’t last forever. Enjoy them until the kids leave the nest

Going to see a really good movie in the theater that lives up to the hype

Seeing my kids succeed at something that they have worked hard to learn

A good page turner of a book about true historical events.

Finishing a home improvement project with my wife who is infinitely more creative and talented than me, but likes to work together on things together and takes satisfaction in the process

I mean, Americans work more hours than pretty much any country in the world, especially European countries.

The idea of a "cushy" work schedule is interesting and I would argue that for most people, they are now connected to their job 24/7/365. My guess is that almost everyone posting here answers work questions via the internet/email, well past the time they left the office and on the weekends. The fact that the work looks different today doesn't mean the schedule is not demanding. I am willing to bet that everyone here has "done work" while at the dinner table with their family. That never happened 25 years ago. The though of even calling a co-worker 25 years ago, after work, to give them more work to do would have been insane. Now, 24/7 those emails come in.

As far as stupid ass kids...kids today are also never disconnected from class. When you and I were kids, 3pm hit and that was it...3pm hit on a Friday and that was it until Monday.

Now, assignments are constantly uploaded to the students devices at all hours of the day. It would be like for you or me, back in the day, if we were home after school, relaxing and all of a sudden your teacher knocked on your door and gave you another assignment to do. I know everyone likes the "back in my day..." but students do more in school today then I ever did. AP classes are abundant, college credit classes, tech classes, CAD classes, Auto-CAD, health classes that do not just teach about sex but that actually get the kids CNA certified to work with patients.

The older people love the fauxstalgia over how much harder it was when they were in school and so on, every generation does it. Just like the music I liked growing up is better than the music that kids like today.

But what students do today and when they start doing it is years ahead of "back in the day"

It would be like saying medicine was better back in the day when they used leeches to cure a fever.

4 day school week is done in a few places, it is not popular. Not because of the kids and not because of teachers but because of parents. Same reason we still do school on a farming calendar. Parents are used to it so they freak out if there is change. Kids are adaptable and will pretty much follow the schedule given to them. But parents already have camps planned for summer, and trips to grandmas house and a vacation and so on.

And trust me, I do not think we are some super hard working field. Not at all, I would say it is like most jobs, it has good days and bad days. Our bad days might just be a lot worse and our good days a lot better.
Agree. The amount of homework my elementary-aged kids are assigned is crazy. More than I had in high school most days. It's overwhelming at times when combined with sports and church activities. I think my wife and I are more excited about summer than the kids.

4 day school week is a terrible idea. Daycare is already expensive and it's hard to find one's, especially good ones. Longer days aren't the answer either because I know my kids focus for an endless amount of the day.

Agree. The amount of homework my elementary-aged kids are assigned is crazy. More than I had in high school most days. It's overwhelming at times when combined with sports and church activities. I think my wife and I are more excited about summer than the kids.

4 day school week is a terrible idea. Daycare is already expensive and it's hard to find one's, especially good ones. Longer days aren't the answer either because I know my kids focus for an endless amount of the day.
4 day school week (with Monday being the day off) was created to save districts money.

Only 4 days of busses, 4 days of electricity (of course the lights would still be on, so I don't know why that was a thing) 4 days of lunches, 4 days of non-certified workers and so on.

But, like you said, teachers still go in on Monday for meetings and day care is a bitch. Trying to find it for 1 day a week would be a disaster.

Remember, when just yesterday.....Give me a effing LOL !!
I will never forget that!

Just please, don't post some loooooong winded post about a teacher you had 60 years that did XYZ and you stood up to him/her and changed the world!

Deal?

4 day school week (with Monday being the day off) was created to save districts money.

Only 4 days of busses, 4 days of electricity (of course the lights would still be on, so I don't know why that was a thing) 4 days of lunches, 4 days of non-certified workers and so on.

But, like you said, teachers still go in on Monday for meetings and day care is a bitch. Trying to find it for 1 day a week would be a disaster.
My daugher owns 2 large daycares, and you'd be surprised how easy it would be.

I will add this...every fish anyone has ever caught...always gets bigger and bigger as more time has passed since the initial catch.

Ironically I hope this is also true for penis size! SORRY Kristen!
Okay, since nobody else is gonna say it----it's not true.

Sure, easy for the day care!

I mean, they don't do anything all day, they just sit there while the kids play or nap.
Maybe that's what they do in failing daycares.
Trust me, my daughter spends a lot more time conducting her businesses than any damn teacher in any capacity.

Maybe that's what they do in failing daycares.
Trust me, my daughter spends a lot more time conducting her businesses than any damn teacher in any capacity.
Thank you. This is EXACTLY what I was hoping you would post.

By the way, I do not think day care workers just sit around and don't do anything all day. I think they work their asses off.

If you daughter was a teacher, your post would be "Teachers work harder than anyone, trust me, my daughter is a teacher"

I sort of knew you would walk into it. I don't blame you though, it was a well crafted trap :)

For me it’s the simple things

I find great joy thinking of Scarletred sitting in the stadium in Boulder, having saved all of his social security checks to purchase tickets, fuel his station wagon from the 70s, and fund the motel 6 stays on his way out to the game to see Husker domination and then come to the gradual realization that Deion Sanders, the coach he spent all summer calling a clown was coaching circles around Rhule as the Buffs and Deion put a beat down on Rhule and Neb. I bet he had to hold back tears for much of the game

Pure joy

Thank you. This is EXACTLY what I was hoping you would post.

By the way, I do not think day care workers just sit around and don't do anything all day. I think they work their asses off.

If you daughter was a teacher, your post would be "Teachers work harder than anyone, trust me, my daughter is a teacher"

I sort of knew you would walk into it. I don't blame you though, it was a well crafted trap :)
This is likely a TLDR post on daycare.

The difference is, she's not a not-for-profit business like so many daycares. She ponies up the dough and is responsible for her decisions, she doesn't have some board to go to if something messes up and there is a need for money.

You may be surprised to learn my daughter is one of the Top 15 daycare providers in the state of Nebraska. She is on the Buffett Initiative which leads the way of innovation in child care. Running 2 businesses, attending a meeting in Norfolk one night, and then the next weekend for a 2 day seminar in Denver, etc. etc. Conducting classes to her employees, on a weeknight, out of her pocket to pay them to be there, receiving the needed educational credits for personal improvments to further advance her business and making her employees part of that reason. You would be surprised at the size of the bonuses she gives some of these hard working daycare teachers. She has built a tremendous staff.

She typically WORKS from 5:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. every night Mon - Friday. Then on the weekends shops Sam's Club for food items, writes multiple grants, tries to keep those female employees staffed well enough that she is in compliance in every room, unlike many daycares.

Runs two difference transportation units taking and picking up kids from 8 different schools. She advises the School Board on issues they are going to face next year in the area of transportation. You think a 4 day week for kids is a bitch, wait til the government pulls the money on transportation. Then parents can figure out how to get their kids the old fashioned way.

As a side note, during the Covid bullshit, in our city of 50,000 plus citizens, she was the ONLY daycare in the city that did not shut down for one single day. Yeah, I helped her write the protocol, and after months others asked her how she did it, she explained how it could be done totally within the rules and for the safety of all. All the while daycares were shutting down, going out of business, and failing daycares still exist to this day.

As far as the women just watching the kids play and take naps, you and I know that isn't the case. I can promise you, if the babies are down for a nap, those employees are cleaning and making sure things are well kept. You'll never walk into my daughter's daycare and get his by that smell of filth that most daycares have.

My wife volunteers in the infant room. Try dealing with 8 little ones from age 2 months to 9 months and see how long you or I stay sane with the amount of crying those little ones can provide. Who can blame the little ones when they are moved from their home into an unknown environment? My wife was the top rated "teacher"in Nebraska during the last weeklong inspection by the State.

When you invest over a million dollars in just one facility, you tend to pay attention to details. So, in addition to playing an occassional horserace, I am her consultant on grant writing and disbursing large amounts of monies for large improvements. My daughter was the Executive Director of Childcare at age 23 with 70 employees and over 300 kids under her guidance. She's now gonna be 49 years old in July. Many of the kids she now has are sons and daughters of kids that she provided daycare for when they were younger.

Is it any wonder both daycares are filled to capacity every single day, has a waiting list of over 150 kids that would like to be under her system of childcare? When she took over a large, miserably failing daycare last August, it was licensed for 91 kids, they were lucky to get 40 kids in there. Employees stood around, none of the bills got paid, the previous owner was behind on everything, the employees didn't even receive regular paychecks.

Within 3 months, my daughter spent over $ 611,000.00 in improvements to the entire facility, the employees get paid every other week, those women in that newer facility had never had even a Christmas party, yet, last year they had 2, one for the employees, and one for the employees and their spouses. Every single employee has received a raise(s), and she now has over 100 kids on the waiting list just to get in that facility. It's not an easy gig, and it takes a LOT of her skin in the game. But, it's something she loves and she's damn good at it.

There's another lonnnnggg winded reply. LOL

Hahah!

I am on year 20...cold turkey. Never had a cheat chew or anything. I was super worried about golfing. Golf was probably 2-3 shots, 6-10 beers and 3-4 chews...I thought it would screw up my game if I did not chew during a round.

Turns out that I just suck at golf and the chew had nothing to do with it.

Golfing, fishing, and hunting are almost required activities to chew! The other times are when it is a little bit more special.

The difference is, she's not a not-for-profit business like so many daycares. She ponies up the dough and is responsible for her decisions, she doesn't have some board to go to if something messes up and there is a need for money.

You may be surprised to learn my daughter is one of the Top 15 daycare providers in the state of Nebraska. She is on the Buffett Initiative which leads the way of innovation in child care. Running 2 businesses, attending a meeting in Norfolk one night, and then the next weekend for a 2 day seminar in Denver, etc. etc. Conducting classes to her employees, on a weeknight, out of her pocket to pay them to be there, receiving the needed educational credits for personal improvments to further advance her business and making her employees part of that reason. You would be surprised at the size of the bonuses she gives some of these hard working daycare teachers. She has built a tremendous staff.

She typically WORKS from 5:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. every night Mon - Friday. Then on the weekends shops Sam's Club for food items, writes multiple grants, tries to keep those female employees staffed well enough that she is in compliance in every room, unlike many daycares.

Runs two difference transportation units taking and picking up kids from 8 different schools. She advises the School Board on issues they are going to face next year in the area of transportation. You think a 4 day week for kids is a bitch, wait til the government pulls the money on transportation. Then parents can figure out how to get their kids the old fashioned way.

As a side note, during the Covid bullshit, in our city of 50,000 plus citizens, she was the ONLY daycare in the city that did not shut down for one single day. Yeah, I helped her write the protocol, and after months others asked her how she did it, she explained how it could be done totally within the rules and for the safety of all. All the while daycares were shutting down, going out of business, and failing daycares still exist to this day.

As far as the women just watching the kids play and take naps, you and I know that isn't the case. I can promise you, if the babies are down for a nap, those employees are cleaning and making sure things are well kept. You'll never walk into my daughter's daycare and get his by that smell of filth that most daycares have.

My wife volunteers in the infant room. Try dealing with 8 little ones from age 2 months to 9 months and see how long you or I stay sane with the amount of crying those little ones can provide. Who can blame the little ones when they are moved from their home into an unknown environment? My wife was the top rated "teacher"in Nebraska during the last weeklong inspection by the State.

When you invest over a million dollars in just one facility, you tend to pay attention to details. So, in addition to playing an occassional horserace, I am her consultant on grant writing and disbursing large amounts of monies for large improvements. My daughter was the Executive Director of Childcare at age 23 with 70 employees and over 300 kids under her guidance. She's now gonna be 49 years old in July. Many of the kids she now has are sons and daughters of kids that she provided daycare for when they were younger.

Is it any wonder both daycares are filled to capacity every single day, has a waiting list of over 150 kids that would like to be under her system of childcare? When she took over a large, miserably failing daycare last August, it was licensed for 91 kids, they were lucky to get 40 kids in there. Employees stood around, none of the bills got paid, the previous owner was behind on everything, the employees didn't even receive regular paychecks.

Within 3 months, my daughter spent over $ 611,000.00 in improvements to the entire facility, the employees get paid every other week, those women in that newer facility had never had even a Christmas party, yet, last year they had 2, one for the employees, and one for the employees and their spouses. Every single employee has received a raise(s), and she now has over 100 kids on the waiting list just to get in that facility. It's not an easy gig, and it takes a LOT of her skin in the game. But, it's something she loves and she's damn good at it.

I literally believe all of this. I know what people who work with kids do, I know how much work they put in, I know how hard it is...I know because I do it.

Also, the wait list is NO JOKE...right now in Omaha you can find wait lists of 18 months!

Tldc

Firing up the Weber and popping a couple of cold ones while the coals get to temperature, then grilling up a nice steak or some burgers. Sitting down with the family, knowing full well those days don’t last forever. Enjoy them until the kids leave the nest

Going to see a really good movie in the theater that lives up to the hype

Seeing my kids succeed at something that they have worked hard to learn

A good page turner of a book about true historical events.

Finishing a home improvement project with my wife who is infinitely more creative and talented than me, but likes to work together on things together and takes satisfaction in the process
Nice list

Having drinks with college friends
Lincoln on a game day
Me and my friends ripping on their wives
Talking about "if we a had a time machine"

Psalm 16:11 KJV

11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. 

Meaning, when I know I'm in the center of His will, I have joy. 1 way I do that down here is by serving others.

You can always tell who the private school teachers are! Haha

I coach against dudes from public schools and each one of them can tell me the exact second that they can retire. And trust me, they tell me, all the time! Ha
I’m sure we’ve discussed this… we must know each other! And yes, while I’m old enough to leave, and financially good to leave, I just don’t want to…. Yet….🙂❤️

Psalm 16:11 KJV​

11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. 

Meaning, when I know I'm in the center of His will, I have joy. 1 way I do that down here is by serving others.

Love this

I’m sure we’ve discussed this… we must know each other! And yes, while I’m old enough to leave, and financially good to leave, I just don’t want to…. Yet….🙂❤️
Why leave when you still like it? I taught with a guy that did 47 years and he loved it. The last 2-3 years he went part time, just started slowing down and finally decided to retire.

The only thing I still want is to coach golf. Be out in the sun all day, coaching one of the most fun sports to coach!

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT