ADVERTISEMENT

Off Topic Thread: What brings you joy?

I have to say I HATE Inservice days… we seriously have 10-12 a year… Rob’s me and the kids of class time
Yeah, out here in NC they seem to just pop up. You drive by the school and the teachers are there until about 10:30 and then the parking lot empties. I will say that teachers deserve the days they get and deserve way more pay. There is no way I could ever deal with what they have to deal with. With that said, as a parent with young kids, these random out of nowhere days suck for us!

I referee high school football with 4 great friends. Nothing better than Friday night lights, walking out on the field with a packed crowd, band playing, and a rivalry game. Beers and pizza at a local joint after the game with 4 good buddies.
You are doing the lords work!

We need more refs! Hopefully the coaches are not dicks to you guys.

In 20 some years of coaching I have never had a flag thrown on me or a ref have to "talk to me" with the exception of just mentioning that I am a little bit too far down the sidelines.

But that is just because my players are idiots and can't seem to ever ****ing line up correctly!

You are doing the lords work!

We need more refs! Hopefully the coaches are not dicks to you guys.

In 20 some years of coaching I have never had a flag thrown on me or a ref have to "talk to me" with the exception of just mentioning that I am a little bit too far down the sidelines.

But that is just because my players are idiots and can't seem to ever ****ing line up correctly!
Thanks for coaching, BTF69!!! 20 years is a huge commitment and achievement.

We average 16 years of experience across a 5-man crew. Two guys ref D-3 football.

We rarely throw unsportsmanlike flags on coaches, and most are cool because the last thing they want to be doing is sitting in the AD's office on Monday morning explaining why they shouldn't have been kick out of a game. (Our crew has never tossed a coach). Usually, it is the assistant coaches that give us grief, young guys who are trying to make a name for themselves. They can bitch and swear about calls, flags, rules, the clock, etc. We listen, explain the situation, and tell them we have to get ready for the next play. The game must go on.

We get HUDL film of all our games on Sunday, to watch individually, then we breakdown important plays and calls at our Crew meeting on Wednesday night.

A cool thing we started last year was to have our Side Judge and Head Linesman send an introductory email on Thursday morning to each coach (since the LJ and HL are going to be dealing with them for two hours on Friday night). Short email making sure they have ball boys ready, etc. 80% of those emails are responded with a positive response, so it creates a good relationship before the game, and let's them know we are ready.

We get paid $118 for a Varsity game. All of us would do it for free any Friday night in the Fall.

Pure joy!!!!!!

I never actually responded to what brings me joy. It never fails that I get tingly whenever I see any of my 4 grown children that I haven’t seen for a while. Especially my favorite daughter.

A distant second was always playing golf at the hometown course at 5:30am, right when the sun was coming up. Always a little dew. Nearly always saw a deer, some turkeys, or heard pheasant / quail. Unfortunately, my “old age” eyesight is starting to wane and makes it hard to follow the ball all the time.

Thanks for coaching, BTF69!!! 20 years is a huge commitment and achievement.

We average 16 years of experience across a 5-man crew. Two guys ref D-3 football.

We rarely throw unsportsmanlike flags on coaches, and most are cool because the last thing they want to be doing is sitting in the AD's office on Monday morning explaining why they shouldn't have been kick out of a game. (Our crew has never tossed a coach). Usually, it is the assistant coaches that give us grief, young guys who are trying to make a name for themselves. They can bitch and swear about calls, flags, rules, the clock, etc. We listen, explain the situation, and tell them we have to get ready for the next play. The game must go on.

We get HUDL film of all our games on Sunday, to watch individually, then we breakdown important plays and calls at our Crew meeting on Wednesday night.

A cool thing we started last year was to have our Side Judge and Head Linesman send an introductory email on Thursday morning to each coach (since the LJ and HL are going to be dealing with them for two hours on Friday night). Short email making sure they have ball boys ready, etc. 80% of those emails are responded with a positive response, so it creates a good relationship before the game, and let's them know we are ready.

We get paid $118 for a Varsity game. All of us would do it for free any Friday night in the Fall.

Pure joy!!!!!!
There’s one Friday staff…everyone who knows, knows…

Freaking atrocious.

Having drinks with college friends
Lincoln on a game day
Me and my friends ripping on their wives
Talking about "if we a had a time machine"
Effing A, man. I’m going through one of those moments right now. Imagine landing the job you wanted all throughout college and discover you work with your high school crush from 20 years ago. Furthermore, you discovered over the years that she had an interest in you too, but you were too blind and stupid to see it at the time. I feel guilty AF playing the time machine game in my head (married for 15 years), but damn…this career move brought back some high school memories and feelings…and playing the “what if” game 😂

• Wow
Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Got it a week ago. So far, I love it. I had a cheap vertical offset and I kept my Webber kettle. So I’m used to working my butt off on long cooks and I was tired of it. And it kept me from doing briskets and butts because I’d be up every hour or two checking the fire and reloading.

The new XT model has fixed a lot of the issues the older master build gravity series had. Better construction, better switches, firebox issues corrected, better control board, etc.

It’s been great ‘setting and forgetting.’ I’m able to leave and check from my phone. It’s been a joy from that side. And she’s a beast. Can get up to 700F.

Complaints- the probe calibration isn’t great. I use my own internal probes to verify the temps and it’s off by 30-50F. Not the end of the world. Just run it at 300F if I’m looking for 250F. But annoying. And there is a notice to open the vents every time you change the temperature. It’s a really small complaint, but it’s annoying.

Otherwise, I highly recommend. Let me know if you have any other questions.
I’ve had a Weber Smoky Mountain for 16 years, it’s awesome with it’s versatility and is my go to smoker- interested in the new XT and The huntsman grill too (I also have a pellet and a lone star grillz offset)

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Effing A, man. I’m going through one of those moments right now. Imagine landing the job you wanted all throughout college and discover you work with your high school crush from 20 years ago. Furthermore, you discovered over the years that she had an interest in you too, but you were too blind and stupid to see it at the time. I feel guilty AF playing the time machine game in my head (married for 15 years), but damn…this career move brought back some high school memories and feelings…and playing the “what if” game 😂
Dude, I hear that!

One thing to remember...if you are not really happy, you gotta change that.

My brother is going through a divorce right now. First thing he said to me was "I should have done this 10 years ago"

Sadly, he also does not have a time machine! Haha

Dude, I hear that!

One thing to remember...if you are not really happy, you gotta change that.

My brother is going through a divorce right now. First thing he said to me was "I should have done this 10 years ago"

Sadly, he also does not have a time machine! Haha

Got a neighbor who thinks its OK to disappear all day to golf and get drunk on mothers day...and who's wife drives an old piece of shit that needs replaced, so of course he gets a new F150....

....some people never should have gotten married. No idea about your brother, but i'd ask him the same thing i'll ask my neighbor when the newz hits they are divorcing..."what did you do to help make the marriage better"? After they stutter and cannot answer I'll wonder why they got married to start with.

I love being married personally, but it ain't for everyone.

Got a neighbor who thinks its OK to disappear all day to golf and get drunk on mothers day...and who's wife drives an old piece of shit that needs replaced, so of course he gets a new F150....

....some people never should have gotten married. No idea about your brother, but i'd ask him the same thing i'll ask my neighbor when the newz hits they are divorcing..."what did you do to help make the marriage better"? After they stutter and cannot answer I'll wonder why they got married to start with.

I’m in the small percent who love their wife and love their job….

I agree.

If you have to "work" on your marriage, you should not be married.

If you don't want to make that other person happy each day, you should not have gotten married.

Chris Rock talks about this …. Very insightful.
“New Pu&@y can’t cook!!!” Is one of my favorite comedic lines of all time.

I agree.

If you have to "work" on your marriage, you should not be married.

If you don't want to make that other person happy each day, you should not have gotten married.
Like most things in life - you will get out of something what you put into it. Marriage is a great example - when both people put into it - it’s a wonderful thing. When one person doesn’t - it’s doomed for unhappiness. When both people don’t it’s an absolute train wreck.

I would highly recommend Gary Chapman’s - 5 love languages for those who are in that marriage purgatory it’s a quick read and could change your marriage!

Reactions: GretnaShawn
If it's like LPS, I believe approx 50 percent of your pay. So you have a master's you in no way use and you make 70k, those property taxes that just went up big time for everyone help pay you 35k for doing nothing.
Then you just get one of the bullshit made for retired teachers part-time jobs in the schools afterwards.
What does a public school teacher pension look like?
In Nebraska schools that are part of NPERS you take the number of years taught x 2 and make that a percentage (30 years x 2 would be 60%). Take the average of your three highest paying years and multiply that and get your annual pension amount. Say 80kx60%=48k.

Like most things in life - you will get out of something what you put into it. Marriage is a great example - when both people put into it - it’s a wonderful thing. When one person doesn’t - it’s doomed for unhappiness. When both people don’t it’s an absolute train wreck.

I would highly recommend Gary Chapman’s - 5 love languages for those who are in that marriage purgatory it’s a quick read and could change your marriage!
Yeah, I am not married. I would never do that.

And if you do have to "change your marriage" it is already over. There is no such thing as forgive and forget. Only 50% of that is true...and it doesn't matter which 50%.

And if you do have to "change your marriage" it is already over. There is no such thing as forgive and forget. Only 50% of that is true...and it doesn't matter which 50%.
You can absolutely course correct a marriage.

There can be a marriage gap where there is a nothingness about it. It doesn’t mean someone did something horrendous. It just lacks communication and can absolutely be restored by focusing on the right things to help it improve and be better.

Reactions: TFrazier

There can be a marriage gap where there is a nothingness about it. It doesn’t mean someone did something horrendous. It just lacks communication and can absolutely be restored by focusing on the right things to help it improve and be better.
Sure but at that point you are roommates. So I guess I have been married, like 6 times. Because I have had roommates!

• Wow
Reactions: Spooked

I actually have a lot of respect for someone who has the foresight and honesty to admit they are too selfish to put someone else’s happiness before their own. My brother-in-law is selfish and will never marry.

I actually have a lot of respect for someone who has the foresight and honesty to admit they are too selfish to put someone else’s happiness before their own. My brother-in-law is selfish and will never marry.
Amen!

I really like BTF69 - we obviously differ on the marriage stuff. But I think he would be a decent guy to hang out with and have some laughs. I enjoy his takes and he cracks me up on the regular.

I asked an old man who was around 90 who was still married for 70 years what his secret was. He said he had to learn to get along with three different "girls". He enjoyed my confusion and then said even though it was the same wife, she had been three different girls. First a "flapper", then a mother, then a business woman. Same wife he said, but three different girls who he had to deal with. Many years later I can relate. My wife now is far from the college party girl and I am way different too. It has definitely taken some work (not a lot) and some course corrections to make it work for 36 years.

Reactions: RBigredMax
I really like BTF69 - we obviously differ on the marriage stuff. But I think he would be a decent guy to hang out with and have some laughs. I enjoy his takes and he cracks me up on the regular.

I wasn’t being facetious, I really do respect when a person can step up and admit they are selfish, most selfish people can’t or won’t admit they’re selfish. Unfortunately, selfish people aren’t just selfish in specific relationships, they are generally selfish in all relationships; i.e., family. For example my BIL, he is selfish in intimate relationships, he is selfish with my MIL, and he is selfish with my wife. So those who are forced into a relationship with them by blood, have to suffer the persons selfishness. Now I don’t personally know BTF69, maybe he is the exception and not the norm, and is only selfish in intimate relationships.

No offense, but you may want to layoff the marriage advice. It’s the equivalent of taking advice on exercise and nutrition from a lardo. Persons with zero experience with the subject matter should speak the least on it.

Stick to the stories of how to troll for single moms and skanks at the bar. If we need expertise here, you are our first call.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Done BUT you gotta buy the beers and I get to do all the talking! I am selfish!

I got one for you...why wouldn't the lobster share his lunch with the whale?

Because he was "shellfish"

I tell that one at the orphanage that I volunteer at 4 days a week. The other 3 days a week I volunteer at a different orphanage.

• Haha
I wasn’t being facetious, I really do respect when a person can step up and admit they are selfish, most selfish people can’t or won’t admit they’re selfish. Unfortunately, selfish people aren’t just selfish in specific relationships, they are generally selfish in all relationships; i.e., family. For example my BIL, he is selfish in intimate relationships, he is selfish with my MIL, and he is selfish with my wife. So those who are forced into a relationship with them by blood, have to suffer the persons selfishness. Now I don’t personally know BTF69, maybe he is the exception and not the norm, and is only selfish in intimate relationships.
There is a reason most marriage don't work. It is because most people are selfish. I agree, I do not think being selfish is a bad thing, I think being selfish and hurting people is a bad thing.

No offense, but you may want to layoff the marriage advice. It’s the equivalent of taking advice on exercise and nutrition from a lardo. Persons with zero experience with the subject matter should speak the least on it.

Stick to the stories of how to troll for single moms and skanks at the bar. If we need expertise here, you are our first call.
I did not give marriage advice. I was not telling anyone how to make their marriage work.

With that said, it is also like saying you should not give advice to coaches or the president , since you are not the coach or the president.

I do find it interesting that any girl at the bar is a "skank" Hmmmm

We're all free to express our opinions on things that we have knowledge of lack knowledge of.

I do have a couple of constants however: I've been married 48 years and I don't take advice from people who've never been married or been divorced.

I also don't take financial advise from people who are always broke.

We're all free to express our opinions on things that we have knowledge of lack knowledge of.

I do have a couple of constants however: I've been married 48 years and I don't take advice from people who've never been married or been divorced.

I also don't take financial advise from people who are always broke.
Would you take spelling advice from a broke guy? Haha

No joke, I had to look it up just now to see if I was using the right word or not! Hahaha, that is how lame I am at spelling.

Would you take spelling advice from a broke guy? Haha

No joke, I had to look it up just now to see if I was using the right word or not! Hahaha, that is how lame I am at spelling.

I hope that you don’t teach English. No judgement from me though, English is my native tongue, but don’t ask me about grammar and punctuation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT