ADVERTISEMENT

Off Topic Thread: What brings you joy?

I’ll limit mine to college football:

It brings me great joy to watch iowa fans get so excited every season, thinking this year is the year iowa football accomplishes something significant just to watch them come crashing back to reality at some point during the season. For me, the later in the season this reality check happens, the better. The last significant win for iowa was 60 plus years ago.

Reactions: EggR
No. Beat them. Coaching youth sports 2 nights a week is enough for me. I can't imagine teaching.
I dont know if it is worse to have to deal with difficult students or difficult parents. Teachers have to go out for cocktails when conferences are over.

Watching my kids become adults is currently one of my favorite things. I have a son in the trades that is earnin' and learnin' (making more than the old man) and a daughter at UNL with a double major of microbiology and biochemistry. They each are choosing their own path and are starting to figure it out.

Catching some ocean breeze on the beach is a close second, followed by some good old firearms training.

Oh gawd that's some sweet skillz right there!!!
Blocking traffic wasn’t enough for lite speed. Now he’s jamming up the tunnel walk
8smoz1.jpg

At least they weren’t trying to defund you like the police. Yeah, firefighters cracked the code for sure.
Firefighters totally figured it all out. Those dudes are living the life!

It is not like there are even those crazy fires anymore. Every building has sprinklers.

I’ve never seen someone who actually works their ass off for a living complain about teacher pay.

Lots of fakers though…

I’ve never seen someone who actually works their ass off for a living complain about teacher pay.

Lots of fakers though…
Remember when people loved us...

Especially at the start of Covid when we ALMOST got hero status like firemen.

But then...some teachers had the nerve to say they did not want to be back in the classroom because of germs and parents were like "Oh, **** that, turns out my kids are ****ing annoying when I have to be with them ALL DAY and they are not in school"

And that is when the shift happened. It was amazing to see!

We went from hardworking, underpaid and got all the "I could not do what you and thank you so much for what you do for our kids"

to

"You lazy whiners, you get 3 months off and you still bitch! If you actually look at what you are getting paid, it comes to like (insert some insane number that they came up with) Plus, you work for me because I pay taxes!! Now, here, take my ****ing kids!" Hahaha

When I used to chew, I LOVED the drive to work, toss in a dip, listen to sports talk shows and drive. There was just something about that 20 minutes.

I quit chewing (cold turkey) about +/- 15 years ago. Nothing better than a dip on the commute to/from work, after a meal, and late nights drinking beer with the buddies. With that said, I don't think there has been 1 day go by that I haven't thought about how nice it would be to start back up again at some point. Maybe one of these days, when I get to a point that I don't give a F anymore, I will start back up!!!

I quit chewing (cold turkey) about +/- 15 years ago. Nothing better than a dip on the commute to/from work, after a meal, and late nights drinking beer with the buddies. With that said, I don't think there has been 1 day go by that I haven't thought about how nice it would be to start back up again at some point. Maybe one of these days, when I get to a point that I don't give a F anymore, I will start back up!!!
Hahah!

I am on year 20...cold turkey. Never had a cheat chew or anything. I was super worried about golfing. Golf was probably 2-3 shots, 6-10 beers and 3-4 chews...I thought it would screw up my game if I did not chew during a round.

Turns out that I just suck at golf and the chew had nothing to do with it.

Playing, composing, and teaching music for the soul. Video games for the escape and fast sailboats, cars, and motorcycles for the thrill.

Reactions: Spooked
Porch/patio drinks with friends in foreign country. So much fun is just having shared experiences in a new place. Hell this weekend before I leave for Asia some friends and I stayed at a place that was 124 steps from center field at Wrigley. It was pretty awesome and Malort is nightmare fuel
Malort!!!!!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: scopeandtime
Honestly, for the most part they really don't but it sort of is a narrative that non-teachers toss out there, so we run with it. Now, do we want more money? Sure, who doesn't. But what happens is property taxes go up and non-teachers all turn on the teachers, instead of firemen.

From what I can tell only firemen have "cracked the code" of being totally overpaid while still getting the hero worship.
I haven't checked the math, but are there more firemen or teachers? So there's a couple hundred firemen in Omaha, how many teachers are there?

Remember when people loved us...

Especially at the start of Covid when we ALMOST got hero status like firemen.

But then...some teachers had the nerve to say they did not want to be back in the classroom because of germs and parents were like "Oh, **** that, turns out my kids are ****ing annoying when I have to be with them ALL DAY and they are not in school"

And that is when the shift happened. It was amazing to see!

We went from hardworking, underpaid and got all the "I could not do what you and thank you so much for what you do for our kids"

to

"You lazy whiners, you get 3 months off and you still bitch! If you actually look at what you are getting paid, it comes to like (insert some insane number that they came up with) Plus, you work for me because I pay taxes!! Now, here, take my ****ing kids!" Hahaha
How many moths do teachers get off (including winter and spring break)

1. thanksgiving dinner with the family
  2. beating ku in anything and everything
  3. trump stepping down

Wow so teachers get a little over 4 months off a year. Can you imagine getting 1/3 of the year off? What a benefit !
If you only made $60k a year would that be worth it?

In most cases you're a glorified baby sitter.

There are only a few teaching jobs I think that would be cool.

A finance related class teaching about stocks and related items.

A class on tech and computers.

Or teaching shop - how to work on cars, how to use tools, etc.

Reactions: Spooked
If you only made $60k a year would that be worth it?

In most cases you're a glorified baby sitter.

There are only a few teaching jobs I think that would be cool.

A finance related class teaching about stocks and related items.

A class on tech and computers.

Or teaching shop - how to work on cars, how to use tools, etc.
Yeah it would. When you factor in the pension it’s a pretty good deal. You’ll never be rich as a teacher, but you’ll get time. Time > money imo

I feel the same way. Sometimes I have a Zyn while golfing just to get me something.

I like that I keep getting told how food prices are lowering yet when I go shopping my grocery bill is higher than ever.
Not only are the grocery prices markedly higher, a high percentage of the food products are now less ounces, less slices per package, smaller cans, etc.

Sugar and flour used to be 5# bags, then 4# bags. Coffee was 3 lbs. (48 oz.) now its 33.9 oz and headed smaller.

My favorite example was Kraft Sliced Cheese. It was 24 slices for 3.98, then 22 slices, then 18 slices, now 16 slides, BUT, still the same great price of 3.98. Any way you slice it, its 33% inflation on that one item.

Apparently, those that tabulate inflations think we're as stupid as the people invading this country.

I am off from June 20th - August 15th.

Xmas break depends but call it 14 days.

Spring break 5 days.
I think schools should just do away with the horseshit holidays they have like MLK Day, President's Day, etc. Instead, just have the kids go to a 4 day week, (Tues - Fri) and forget the 5 day breaks for Spring Break and that way the teachers can do their so-called "In Service Days" every Monday.
That way, all those Federal Holidays are already factored in, so get their ass back in school on Tuesday.

Easter, Good Friday off but back in school Monday. Christmas break from about Dec 23 and return to school the first Tuesday in January.

It's no wonder we continue to pump out a bunch of stupid ass kids, they're rarely in school more than a 2-3 weeks at a time before another "break."

Kids need to learn, life is not about having a cushy work schedule their entire life.....unless they want to teach.

Yeah it would. When you factor in the pension it’s a pretty good deal. You’ll never be rich as a teacher, but you’ll get time. Time > money imo
I can appreciate that reasoning.

I was talking to a buddy about this the other day. Back when we were poor we had all the time in the world. Now that we have money we have much less time. The way of the world it seems.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT