ADVERTISEMENT

Odds the season isn't cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas will show the nation that opening up full throttle is the way to go and that all this concern over a virus is overblown.

no state wants/needs football more than Texas.

Texas won’t bend to the virus

You can’t stop the world from turning and the months go by, it would really be hard to not have any high school, college, or pro sports. Especially high school and college, if they canceled the season and tell these kids they get another year pretty soon your have a log jam plus your going to need more scholarships more money. What about high schools you graduate you don’t get a do over, so the high school seniors get screwed. We’re being told it doesn’t effect the your people as bad as old. When your 17-24 you feel invincible, why do you think all government have the young people do the fighting.

Some people need to honestly accept the fact that money drives this thing and is going to continue to drive this decision. Generally speaking, money wins out when it comes to most big time decisions. If money wins out here, and there's a 95% chance it does, the football will fly in one way or the other. Right or wrong, fair or not, medically correct or not, college football is a giant enterprise and money wins more often than not. And if everyone is completely real with themselves, they'll be perfectly fine with seeing this football team run out of the tunnel in a few months because that means we have football.

Not what the doctor from Texas said on the news.
I would have to see his quote to be able to respond to it. IF you had a kid who was infected and sick, going out and exerting themselves would probably not be a good thing. I'm at the point where when I hear or read something from Dr. X, I take it with a grain of salt. There's a whole bunch of Dr.s out there wanting face time on TV or radio who are talking out of their ass to promote an agenda. Again, they just played a basketball tournament with predominately 16-19 year old players not to far from me. No testing. Obviously no masks on the players. Right now there are literallyTHOUSANDS of high school and college kids lifting and doing conditioning and while there have been positive tests, I haven't seen a single story of anything more than the sniffles from this thing in that age group. Likewise in pro athletes I haven't seen a single story of them getting anything more than mild symptoms.

EDIT: I think I found the article your talking about and the quotes from an ER Dr in Houston. Well, I wonder why that area of Houston might be having a surge of COVID now..... It's the same thing we've seen in other metro areas where we had large numbers of protestors. Inevitably, the largest number of cases are coming out of poorer neighborhoods then a Dr. in those areas wants to shut down the whole country because of what they're seeing in their own area.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyLvr
Texas is a disaster right now with no slowing down in sight. Their hospitals are full and the virus is at exponential growth. Texas has done everything wrong.
So you think everyone should have stayed home and let the government write us checks? This virus isn’t like a nuclear war with radioactive fallout. I’m in favor of letting everyone get infected, roll the freaking dice, get this over with a let’s get on with life. And I’m close to 60 and I’ve had enough of this supposed ya need to stay home. I’m not selfish but I also don’t like the government dictating what I can and cannot due and when I want to. It my freaking choice!!!!

So you think everyone should have stayed home and let the government write us checks? This virus isn’t like a nuclear war with radioactive fallout. I’m in favor of letting everyone get infected, roll the freaking dice, get this over with a let’s get on with life. And I’m close to 60 and I’ve had enough of this supposed ya need to stay home. I’m not selfish but I also don’t like the government dictating what I can and cannot due and when I want to. It my freaking choice!!!!

that’s literally the definition of selfish.

Some people need to honestly accept the fact that money drives this thing and is going to continue to drive this decision. Generally speaking, money wins out when it comes to most big time decisions. If money wins out here, and there's a 95% chance it does, the football will fly in one way or the other. Right or wrong, fair or not, medically correct or not, college football is a giant enterprise and money wins more often than not. And if everyone is completely real with themselves, they'll be perfectly fine with seeing this football team run out of the tunnel in a few months because that means we have football.
That can be said for every aspect of life. From the Mcdonalds work making $10 an hour to the corporation making billions. We all need money to survive and pay the bills. As much as we would like to, we can't just say, Im not going to work anymore because I want to help slow the spread. You stop working you can't provide for your family or pay bills. You can maybe do that for a few week or maybe a few months but eventually you will have to take the risks and get back out there and be a functioning member of society to keep feeding your family, paying your bills ect.
This can be said for business and corporations. Including football. They can't just shut everything down for a year or 2 and wait for the virus to blow over. Doing so would not only hurt the business owner, but also all the small business and every single employee down the line. We are at the point now, where we as a society MUST open back up and continue to operate as close to normal as possible. Yes, there needs to be precautions taken by any business and adjustments to normal everyday life need to be taken to keep all as safe as possible. We can't hide from this for the next 6-12 month or when the virus does finally go away there will be nothing left to go back to.

LOL with the govt mumbo jumbo. healthcare professionals are driving the government response. if u want to do whatever you want then go buy your own island and make your own rules. you have lived under rules your entire 60 years of life. rules meant to protect society. that's all this is too. as members of society we have an obligation to society. selfish is exactly what you just described in your opinion.

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
no one has a problem with frugalness or working to avoid handouts. people have a problem with the "i want to do whatever i want to do no matter the cost to other individuals"

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
LOL with the govt mumbo jumbo. healthcare professionals are driving the government response. if u want to do whatever you want then go buy your own island and make your own rules. you have lived under rules your entire 60 years of life. rules meant to protect society. that's all this is too. as members of society we have an obligation to society. selfish is exactly what you just described in your opinion.
Yes and no I repeat no laws have been passed by local,state, or federal government. You are correct it’s the health care professionals that are doing this, you know what none of them are elected officials they’re appointed, they cannot and do not make the laws

You can’t stop the world from turning and the months go by, it would really be hard to not have any high school, college, or pro sports. Especially high school and college, if they canceled the season and tell these kids they get another year pretty soon your have a log jam plus your going to need more scholarships more money. What about high schools you graduate you don’t get a do over, so the high school seniors get screwed. We’re being told it doesn’t effect the your people as bad as old. When your 17-24 you feel invincible, why do you think all government have the young people do the fighting.

I wjould bet heavily the NCAA grants increase in scholarship limits for the next year.

I wjould bet heavily the NCAA grants increase in scholarship limits for the next year.

Is there going to be the funds for that?

Schools are already making deep cuts - not sure they are going to be excited to significantly increase costs with large revenue shortages

Also there has to be equal participation based on title IX - so every extra scholarship or walk-on on the men’s side has to be reciprocated on the women’s side?

Reactions: Baxter48
That can be said for every aspect of life. From the Mcdonalds work making $10 an hour to the corporation making billions. We all need money to survive and pay the bills. As much as we would like to, we can't just say, Im not going to work anymore because I want to help slow the spread. You stop working you can't provide for your family or pay bills. You can maybe do that for a few week or maybe a few months but eventually you will have to take the risks and get back out there and be a functioning member of society to keep feeding your family, paying your bills ect.
This can be said for business and corporations. Including football. They can't just shut everything down for a year or 2 and wait for the virus to blow over. Doing so would not only hurt the business owner, but also all the small business and every single employee down the line. We are at the point now, where we as a society MUST open back up and continue to operate as close to normal as possible. Yes, there needs to be precautions taken by any business and adjustments to normal everyday life need to be taken to keep all as safe as possible. We can't hide from this for the next 6-12 month or when the virus does finally go away there will be nothing left to go back to.
I agree with everything you typed.

Reactions: husker2612
Covid isn't what they said it was. Hopefully, we can continue on with our lives. Play ball. The second wave!!! GTFO. You were wrong on the first wave. Sit down and STFU.
Love all you big talkers. I came down with covid a week ago. I'm 70 and as the emergency room nurse said, "the healthiest person she had seen in over a month." Let me tell you this is NO picnic. The high fevers just never stop. Daily around 102. Doc said this could go on for two months. I'm a mild case. Absolutely how selfish people can be.

Red173, that sucks for you and I'm seriously glad you are on the mend. However, you know who else is selfish? Small business owners who were told to close by the government, only to see huge corporations like Walmart and Target continue to operate and steal all the small businesses revenue. I don't consider a small business owner trying to feed his family and/or employees to be selfish just by staying open. We all know the risks. No one wants to talk about the downside of shutting down the economy. Its a no win situation.

Good for you.

I’m not selfish but I also don’t like the government dictating what I can and cannot due and when I want to. It my freaking choice!!!!

saying “it (sic) my freaking choice” is what’s selfish. Wearing a mask isn’t about you. The government shouldn’t have to tell you what to do. You should be willing to do it for other people - people who could die from covid. That’s what’s selfish.

Umm, Thanks? Do you mind filling us in?
For example, this site shows 40 deaths on June 23. There were 13 on that day on the Georgia site. We haven't had 40 or more in a month and the highest number was 58.

On April 7, this site shows 119 deaths. On the Georgia site, the number is 31.

Texas governor bans elective surgeries in multiple counties due to hospital bed crisis

why is the governor dictating how hospitals can conduct business? This is a huge restriction on hospital fiscal operations.

Texas governor bans elective surgeries in multiple counties due to hospital bed crisis

why is the governor dictating how hospitals can conduct business? This is a huge restriction on hospital fiscal operations.

Maybe he got wind that 120 million people have croaked from Covid....if you don't know what i'm talking about you will soon enough :)

Maybe he got wind that 120 million people have croaked from Covid....if you don't know what i'm talking about you will soon enough :)

another blue state with the governor getting in the way of mericans right to die and take others with them - disgusting

Reactions: schuele

Because that's what a governor can do. If it's a public health emergency and hospitals are full, it's not a bad idea. The problem a couple months ago is hospitals were doing this when they weren't even half full.

Because that's what a governor can do. If it's a public health emergency and hospitals are full, it's not a bad idea. The problem a couple months ago is hospitals were doing this when they weren't even half full.

that’s ok - reading on here we have it on good authority that this will all blow over in a couple of weeks

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
120,000 people have died so far, up to 200,00 will be dead later this fall, possible 2/3 more years of Clovid19. If you don't wear a mask, social distance or take this seriously, you ARE a contributor to its vitality. The potential for class action lawsuits will exist after people die from attending games. This is as SERIOUS as it gets. NOT having high school, college, or pro football games should be the absolute LAST thing any of us worry about.

120,000 people have died so far, up to 200,00 will be dead later this fall, possible 2/3 more years of Clovid19. If you don't wear a mask, social distance or take this seriously, you ARE a contributor to its vitality. The potential for class action lawsuits will exist after people die from attending games. This is as SERIOUS as it gets. NOT having high school, college, or pro football games should be the absolute LAST thing any of us worry about.
I've said from the beginning 200,000 people would die from this. Once that initial outbreak happened, there was absolutely nothing we could do to stop that outcome. Wearing masks and social distancing just prolonged the process imo.

You do you. I'm over it.

healthcare professionals approved and celebrated the protests/riots. They are clowns like the rest.

another blue state with the governor getting in the way of mericans right to die and take others with them - disgusting
IF only you had included some all-cap IFs, you would have gotten bonus likes.

I'd suggest getting your affairs in order and getting right with God...cause if it ain't the virus it's gonna be something else.

Red173, that sucks for you and I'm seriously glad you are on the mend. However, you know who else is selfish? Small business owners who were told to close by the government, only to see huge corporations like Walmart and Target continue to operate and steal all the small businesses revenue. I don't consider a small business owner trying to feed his family and/or employees to be selfish just by staying open. We all know the risks. No one wants to talk about the downside of shutting down the economy. Its a no win situation.
I totally agree with your assessment on the walmarts of the world. Small business have taken the brunt and always will. Unfortunately businesses have built themselves into a box with business plans that require large annual events, football games, baseball tournaments. The American economy is built like the old Roman empire. Bread and circuses. Even with solid economic conditions there are always going to be small business failures especially in the food service area.

I don't really know what to think at this point. It certainly caught my attention that the University of Michigan backed out of hosting the second presidential debate on October 15 because of COVID concerns. Well, each Wolverines home game draws over 100,000 fans packed like sardines in the stadium - if UM is scared about the crowds that would come with a presidential debate, they certainly can't be comfortable with the crowds that will come for each home game.

Love all you big talkers. I came down with covid a week ago. I'm 70 and as the emergency room nurse said, "the healthiest person she had seen in over a month." Let me tell you this is NO picnic. The high fevers just never stop. Daily around 102. Doc said this could go on for two months. I'm a mild case. Absolutely how selfish people can be.
Day 7 is make or break day for most patients with COVID. If you're in good shape physically you'll probably do fine. Good luck.

I've said from the beginning 200,000 people would die from this. Once that initial outbreak happened, there was absolutely nothing we could do to stop that outcome. Wearing masks and social distancing just prolonged the process imo.
The best fatality total in the U.S. I've seen that made the most sense had it at around 167K by August with it dwindling dramatically after that. We'll see. One thing that people don't consider with this whole deal is that we've gotten really good at keeping people above ground that 20 years ago would be long gone already. This virus isn't having any of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT