ADVERTISEMENT

Odds the season isn't cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hope is that there is so much money involved, they will find a way. Even if that means starting in the Spring, after a vaccine is approved.

Reactions: red scowl
My hope is that there is so much money involved, they will find a way. Even if that means starting in the Spring, after a vaccine is approved.
Starting in the spring would be a long shot in my opinion. As others have pointed out, it would probably mean that the top NFL prospects wouldn't play. Also, it might be difficult to have two full schedules in the same calendar year - spring and then fall.

Just say **** it and open this bitch back up!! Tired of living like Communist China. But certain parties want you to live in fear hiding out and sucking your thumbs. No thanks!! Play ball!!
That didn't take long.

agree.. once we get some vaccines coming out, then things will really go back to normal.. and those may come sooner than later hopefully.

New Cases and deaths trending back upwards last couple of days. Hope that trend reverses again quickly.

biggest worry to me is that they decide WAYYYY too quickly on a cancellation .. We can all wait , can we not ? At least another month before deciding .. please !!

Reactions: OzzyLvr and BC Hawk
Anyone else with a gut feeling the season will be cancelled ... ????
No, rational thinking and simple logic tells me the season will be canceled. (Most of it anyways.) But you guys are free to argue it with the wind, idc. We all come to acceptance of things at our own pace.

No, it won’t be canceled or fully canceled anyways. My opinion, the worst case we will have a smaller more compact season and it won’t be anything like normal. No bowl games, no conference titles and so on. Just several games. The very worst case, this scenario will happen but not closed all the way down. And there might be some teams that don’t play at all (the ones in the hot bed of this mess) but there will be some that do (ones that aren’t as effected as the others) I can definitely see that happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dean Pope
I can't find a line for will play/will be cancelled at any book anywhere in a time when you can literally bet on anything/everything.

hmm.

plenty of odds to win each conference, make the playoff, win the title, though.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Starting in the spring would be a long shot in my opinion. As others have pointed out, it would probably mean that the top NFL prospects wouldn't play. Also, it might be difficult to have two full schedules in the same calendar year - spring and then fall.

Well, this is a dream scenario considering we don’t have a lot of NFL prospects and will be playing against teams that do.

I dont see it happening. Hope I'm wrong. The south is a trainwreck rough now. A lot of stupid, selfish people out there.

The south is like the Wild West, but at the same time the numbers are bound to go up. We were in lockdown for 3 months so of course the numbers are going to rise since people are starting to go out. I’m starting to believe that we will not have a season unfortunately.

New Cases and deaths trending back upwards last couple of days. Hope that trend reverses again quickly.
The percentage of people dying from covid has been dropping since May 1st. May 1st was 7.11% today the percentage is 5.18% and it drops .003% to .005% every single day. More people get it, show little to no symptoms and recover. New cases are up but so is testing. How many college kids are getting tested now that never would have sniffed a test had it not been for college sports?

I can't find a line for will play/will be cancelled at any book anywhere in a time when you can literally bet on anything/everything.

hmm.

plenty of odds to win each conference, make the playoff, win the title, though.
It's too unpredictable for lines to be put out regarding the number of games to be played. And those other bets are probably not actionable unless a full season is played.

the worst case we will have a smaller more compact season and it won’t be anything like normal. No bowl games, no conference titles and so on. Just several games. And there might be some teams that don’t play at all (the ones in the hot bed of this mess) but there will be some that do.
That's what I was thinking could happen. Teams play whatever games that they can get in. That made me wonder about this:

Is it even legally possible or too complicated to play different teams or a different schedule? Like Big 10 teams forgoing non-conference scheduling and going straight into conference play? Or is it that the only way to go is to play a week at a time and just hope you can play each week?

Reactions: huskerssalts
It's too unpredictable for lines to be put out regarding the number of games to be played. And those other bets are probably not actionable unless a full season is played.
there have consistently been over/under start date lines for every pro sports league (MLB/NHL/NBA) during COVID, along with other similar props.

If college football is cancelled, there are going to be a lot of programs shutting the doors to on a lot of sports. Some including football. If Maryland were still in the ACC, this could have closed their football program. They were in big trouble when the B1G took them in. And a lot of businesses in college towns closing up shop as well.

Serious question, what happens to Lincoln if there is no football?

Reactions: zrob
The percentage of people dying from covid has been dropping since May 1st. May 1st was 7.11% today the percentage is 5.18% and it drops .003% to .005% every single day. More people get it, show little to no symptoms and recover. New cases are up but so is testing. How many college kids are getting tested now that never would have sniffed a test had it not been for college sports?
curious where you get the data.. wordometers shows the US death rate just now dipping under 11%

I think the tough part is going to be the travel, you have 3 states that just did this today. If this continues, how long before other states follow suit? No way you can play football, even in an empty stadium if states are imposing 14 day quarantines.

Visitors from Texas will soon have to quarantine for 14 days if they travel to New York, New Jersey or Connecticut, according to the three states’ governors.

I think the tough part is going to be the travel, you have 3 states that just did this today. If this continues, how long before other states follow suit? No way you can play football, even in an empty stadium if states are imposing 14 day quarantines.

Visitors from Texas will soon have to quarantine for 14 days if they travel to New York, New Jersey or Connecticut, according to the three states’ governors.
this is exactly why I think the season could be cancelled.. it will only take a small handful of actions by a few states/universities, and they will be able to effectively close it all down.

Will be tough to have your team play if Covid gets to the players. So if the team stays on the straight and narrow, maybe. But since we are talking about teens and slightly older, probably not.

Reactions: Dean Pope

How are they going to enforce quarantine from state to state?

Will be tough to have your team play if Covid gets to the players. So if the team stays on the straight and narrow, maybe. But since we are talking about teens and slightly older, probably not.

Could you imagine 30 players getting infected on Alabama weeks before the national title game.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT