ADVERTISEMENT

OC Satterfield

Dec 9, 2017
Guy is taking a lot of heat this year from Husker fans.

Yes, I get it.

We are far from a well oiled machine, and we have looked completely inept in a large amount of drives this year. It isn't much fun to watch a good amount of time.

I like what he is doing though. It isn't easy calling plays and creating an offense for a team that can't throw the football with any amount of effectiveness, and struggles mightily to run the ball between the tackles.

We held the ball for 37 plus minutes last night, and ran the ball 49 times while holding Illinois to 21 yards rushing. We also had 10 penalties and 3 turnovers, yet we won by 13 points on the road.

Run the ball. Stuff the run. That is a good recipe for the rest of our schedule as this team gets better each week.

I'll have to rewatch the game but it sure seems like Satterfield has a tendency to go to the same player/play after a positive gain. Like after Johnson's 12yd gain he goes right back to him, only to see him get stuffed the 2nd time.

I guess it's the 'we'll run it until they stop it' mentality but we're not a team that can impose our will on anyone.

Anyway... it's a win on the road in the B1G so good job!

That was Rhule's decision.

And the right one.

Sims is our more talented QB...., if he can field a freaking shotgun snap.

Haarberg has been the right recipe for now which means we run run run and play defense. But make no mistake, Haarberg is a .500 passer in which half his incompletions could easily be INTs.

Hunter is 26 or 49 the last two games with 2 INTs and a plethora of others that easily could have been picked. We are no threat to the throw the football against anybody.

We are going to face a bunch of D's that will be all in on stuffing our run game. Then what?

I'll have to rewatch the game but it sure seems like Satterfield has a tendency to go to the same player/play after a positive gain. Like after Johnson's 12yd gain he goes right back to him, only to see him get stuffed the 2nd time.

I guess it's the 'we'll run it until they stop it' mentality but we're not a team that can impose our will on anyone.

Hey, that's better than trying to run what's not working over and over hoping something will change like Illinois kept doing whenever they needed short yardage.

At this point, I’m not impressed with his play calling, overall. He actually had some pretty good calls I thought last night (the long pass on 2nd down from our 1 or 2 yard line—love that call) and then some calls that were real head scratchers. Granted, he has limited resources everywhere on the O, but for what these dudes are making, we haven’t gotten our money’s worth yet.

Like who? Don't look now, but the B1G West is a steaming pile of hot garbage.

It undoubtedly is.

We have a kind schedule. Out of the BYE we get NW at home, Purdon't at home, @ MSU who is embattled in a sex scandal and firing of a coach, Maryland at home which is our toughest game left, @ Wisky, and Iowa at home.

I can honestly say we can win them all. And you are right. We really don't face a stiff defense till late November. Plenty of time for us to keep improving.

And the right one.

Haarberg has been the right recipe for now which means we run run run and play defense. But make no mistake, Haarberg is a .500 passer in which half his incompletions could easily be INTs.

Hunter is 26 or 49 the last two games with 2 INTs and a plethora of others that easily could have been picked. We are no threat to the throw the football against anybody.

We are going to face a bunch of D's that will be all in on stuffing our run game. Then what?
What has Sims done to make you believe he is more talented? Nothing he did looked any better. And that's with years of experience.

What has Sims done to make you believe he is more talented? Nothing he did looked any better. And that's with years of experience.

I've seen him play at Ga Tech. I've seen his film.

He is an incredible athlete and was the best player on that team.

Not sure what happened, but he suddenly couldn't field a shotgun snap. Once that happens, and his eyes have to go elsewhere, it becomes pure panic.

He is undoubtedly more talented than Hunter. He can actually throw a football forward and find it's target more than half the time and not as likely to be intercepted.

And the right one.

He's more talented, but not at qb.

Reactions: Gary.Busey
I've seen him play at Ga Tech. I've seen his film.

He is an incredible athlete and was the best player on that team.

Not sure what happened, but he suddenly couldn't field a shotgun snap. Once that happens, and his eyes have to go elsewhere, it becomes pure panic.

He is undoubtedly more talented than Hunter. He can actually throw a football forward and find it's target more than half the time and not as likely to be intercepted.
This is what Sims did at Georgia Tech:

-Turn the ball over at an astronomical rate

-Lose football games

Not surprisingly, that's exactly what he did here.

It was like when Mike Riley came on the scene here as a career .500 coach, and..... went .500 here.

I can't really put my finger on it, but Satterfield doesn't make calls that make me angry or gameplan aimlessly with no rhyme or reason the way Langsdorf, Frost and Whipple did. There have been a few, like throwing instead of running before half last night, but that was probably Rhule's idea. I can see where Sat wants to go and sort of see how he wants to go about it. He mixes in some misdirection, sweeps, draws and screens. The problem is his players have trouble blocking, throwing, catching, and hitting the holes when they are there. I can't really blame him for that.

My biggest complaint from last night was the 1:30 before halftime should have just run the ball , three straight incompletions after picking up a first down, thank goodness for the wind or else it would have been 17-10 at halftime
aggressiveness worked earlier in the game, but after getting stuffed on 1st we should have run 2 times to run out the clock/their timeouts.

Reactions: bama_husker
Guy is taking a lot of heat this year from Husker fans.

Yes, I get it.

We are far from a well oiled machine, and we have looked completely inept in a large amount of drives this year. It isn't much fun to watch a good amount of time.

I like what he is doing though. It isn't easy calling plays and creating an offense for a team that can't throw the football with any amount of effectiveness, and struggles mightily to run the ball between the tackles.

We held the ball for 37 plus minutes last night, and ran the ball 49 times while holding Illinois to 21 yards rushing. We also had 10 penalties and 3 turnovers, yet we won by 13 points on the road.

Run the ball. Stuff the run. That is a good recipe for the rest of our schedule as this team gets better each week.
Exactly. I can't figure out how people can expect the OC for an offense that has all these personnel challenges could do better. He's uding what he's got, which is not much. Yesterday the score should have been more like 41-7 if not for fumbles and bonehead penalties. Not his fault the players can't execute basic plays

Reactions: WHCSC

He definitely does this with the same play multiple times in a row

He definitely does this with the same play multiple times in a row
A lot of OC have this problem. They have like 10 seconds to really call a play. Think when he does this it’s because they don’t know what to call quickly so he just defaults. We saw this with frost a lot. We’d hit a big chunk play and we’d draw a delay of game cause the staff was scrambling what to call next.

Reactions: king_kong_
One issue I’m seeing with our passing game is we are running 2 or 3 routes a lot for max protection. Not giving our QB a lot of options

I have less issue with Satt than I did during weeks 1 & 2

He’s getting a feel and at least seems more than willing to try new things which is a sign of a growth mindset

People who are the smartest in the room or afraid to admit they’re wrong never improve and repeat the same mistakes over and over

Our line doesn't give a guy time to have OJT, it seemed like we saw blue in the backfield at the snap. I think every defense will force us to pass to win ,which doesn't give me much hope.

One issue I’m seeing with our passing game is we are running 2 or 3 routes a lot for max protection. Not giving our QB a lot of options
Yep but the alternative is worse. I’ve really liked Sat’s play calling all year. There’s just so much bad execution. We apparently don’t have a consistent passer on the roster, but the O-line is the worst. There’s a reason Raiola was making $15 an hour for the Bears…The freakin BEARS. He was not worth retaining even for an outside shot at Dylan. His own nephew didn’t want to play behind his product and no one can blame him

My biggest complaint from last night was the 1:30 before halftime should have just run the ball , three straight incompletions after picking up a first down, thank goodness for the wind or else it would have been 17-10 at halftime
Actually, per Rhule the 3rd down call was a QB draw that would have opened for a big gain. Haarberg ran the incorrect play.

Reactions: JOHNNY N
Excellent argument which will never happen.

Tom Haase could beat Oklahoma. But he didn't.

Jeff Sims reportedly has this high ceiling.

Except that all he does is lose to good teams, lose to shitty teams, and turn the ball over like he's handing out flyers on the Vegas strip.

My opinion is that neither Haarberg nor Sims is a P5 QB1. If I was going to build a basketball team out of this roster, though, they'd probably be my first two picks.

At some point, HH is likely going to be unable to go this season. And we will need Sims. In which case I hope he comes in and lights it up.

As long as the defense plays well we can beat any team left except perhaps Maryland. The offense is terrible regardless who is playing QB but HH seems less likely to cause turnovers. It would be nice if we could put a game away in the third quarter and create some depth in the fourth quarter, but that’s not happening this year.

As for the OC, he has had nothing to work with. Supposedly he did at South Carolina and wasn’t great, but we have no idea what he could be doing this year with some talent. We don’t even have any players on offense deserving of B1G honorable mention.

Last edited:
If you're referring to Haarberg: nothing.

Outside of the fact he's able to beat a shit team like Minnesota.

Which is a talent Sims does not have.

Georgia Tech fans were not sad to turn the page.
The O repeatedly f’d up last night, and the D shut IL down. When the O stumbled at MN, the D didn’t get the stops like last night. Is that really Sims fault? At MN they scored a TD that they didn’t get the call on. Last night, they got every call. Sims fault?

I swear, some of you guys are completely nuts.

The O repeatedly f’d up last night, and the D shut IL down. When the O stumbled at MN, the D didn’t get the stops like last night. Is that really Sims fault? At MN they scored a TD that they didn’t get the call on. Last night, they got every call. Sims fault?

I swear, some of you guys are completely nuts.
yes.

that reeks of leadership vs lack of leadership.

when your QB goes into the tank after mistakes, he drags the rest of the team down with him.

when your QB is an unflappable leader willing to put his body on the line, he subsequently adds juice to the rest of the squad

your willful ignorance when it comes to intangibles tells everyone here you've never been a part of a team that's competing at the highest level

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT