ADVERTISEMENT

Observations from an Outsider

Cougatron

Oct 17, 2012
Hey Huskers haven’t been on here in a while since you got Moos and I gave you guys an update on the coaching search when that was going on.

I was real interested in watching your first game and since that finally happened I thought i’d stop by and talk football with you.

Observation #1 - Martinez is going to be great for you guys, a true freshmen coming in and playing as well as I saw speaks volumes of that kid. It really sucks he got injured and I know it’s day to day on him but still even if he’s out the new freshmen RS rule (4 games or less can still RS) / medical RS is available and as a senior or RS Senior he’s going to be outstanding. It was a lot of trial by fire but he looked and played like a leader and a winner and for a true Fresh to do that is remarkable. He also did some freshmen things and that’s to be expected, but still he’s going to be so good as an upperclassmen.

Observation #2 - the defense needs work but there are a lot of great things, I saw pressure and some real creative looks and a defense that was giving effort. Still a lot to improve on in the secondary, and there are some discipline / holes issues that need to be sorted, but I was surprised by the effort and energy.

Observation #3 - you guys looked like a team with a lot of creative schemes but still a lot of youth and players trying to figure things out which is exactly where the team is, but even with just 1 game it looks like a really exciting direction. There were a lot of flashes of brilliance for a team that early adjusting to new coaches and coaching, and that will only grow with time.

When I look at the bigger picture for you guys I see a program still in its infancy stages of transition, but I can’t help to imagine that in 4 years when players are in this system and developed that Big Red will be back in a big way. I honestly can’t think of anybody in the B1G that will give you a hard time other than Ohio State, Michigan, and a Bruiser like Wisconsin. And those should because well they are the top teams, but I can definitely see the parity between the 4 of you 4 years from now. It’s a tough conference, but I only see those 3 teams in your way down the line. Fortunately only Wiscy is in your division and I expect it will come down to Nebraska vs Wisconsin for the division title A LOT. I know you guys are still looking for a solid rivalry game (Maybe Iowa) but I think the Nebraska Wiscy rivalry will be one of the most important games in the B1G. Kinda like the Ohio State Michigan game. Whoever wins that is on their way to the title.

I know it kind of is a buzz kill losing the first game in the Frost era, but I can’t help but look at you as a team that will continually get better and better and better.

Hey Huskers haven’t been on here in a while since you got Moos and I gave you guys an update on the coaching search when that was going on.

I was real interested in watching your first game and since that finally happened I thought i’d stop by and talk football with you.

Observation #1 - Martinez is going to be great for you guys, a true freshmen coming in and playing as well as I saw speaks volumes of that kid. It really sucks he got injured and I know it’s day to day on him but still even if he’s out the new freshmen RS rule (4 games or less can still RS) / medical RS is available and as a senior or RS Senior he’s going to be outstanding. It was a lot of trial by fire but he looked and played like a leader and a winner and for a true Fresh to do that is remarkable. He also did some freshmen things and that’s to be expected, but still he’s going to be so good as an upperclassmen.

Observation #2 - the defense needs work but there are a lot of great things, I saw pressure and some real creative looks and a defense that was giving effort. Still a lot to improve on in the secondary, and there are some discipline / holes issues that need to be sorted, but I was surprised by the effort and energy.

Observation #3 - you guys looked like a team with a lot of creative schemes but still a lot of youth and players trying to figure things out which is exactly where the team is, but even with just 1 game it looks like a really exciting direction. There were a lot of flashes of brilliance for a team that early adjusting to new coaches and coaching, and that will only grow with time.

When I look at the bigger picture for you guys I see a program still in its infancy stages of transition, but I can’t help to imagine that in 4 years when players are in this system and developed that Big Red will be back in a big way. I honestly can’t think of anybody in the B1G that will give you a hard time other than Ohio State, Michigan, and a Bruiser like Wisconsin. And those should because well they are the top teams, but I can definitely see the parity between the 4 of you 4 years from now. It’s a tough conference, but I only see those 3 teams in your way down the line. Fortunately only Wiscy is in your division and I expect it will come down to Nebraska vs Wisconsin for the division title A LOT. I know you guys are still looking for a solid rivalry game (Maybe Iowa) but I think the Nebraska Wiscy rivalry will be one of the most important games in the B1G. Kinda like the Ohio State Michigan game. Whoever wins that is on their way to the title.

I know it kind of is a buzz kill losing the first game in the Frost era, but I can’t help but look at you as a team that will continually get better and better and better.
Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. Go Cougs!

Thank you for your thoughts. I think most of us would agree with your assessment. Have a great season!

Good post what is your thoughts on Leach. Good buddy of mine is a Coug and is not real happy with him, just can’t get them over the jump.

Good post what is your thoughts on Leach. Good buddy of mine is a Coug and is not real happy with him, just can’t get them over the jump.

I think he's outstanding. He basically resurrected the program. We've had 3 winning seasons in a row and he's taken us to a bowl game the last 3 years and 4 out of the six he's been here.

To put it in perspective, we had only gone to 10 bowls in our entire history and hadn't been to win in 10 years before he showed up. So yeah I like him a lot.

We have a lot of program building to do and the more consistent winning seasons we can have the better. We are in a different place then most programs. National title / playoff aspirations are way out of reach for a program like ours. We need to build ourselves up for consistency to get the recruiting pedigree and that is starting to happen.

We got a great RB over Stanford who picked us and is already scoring touchdowns as a true fresh.

We got the best QB in the state of Utah to commit to us, and we have a defense that ranks #2 in the country in total defense right now. Yeah with Leach. Number 2 defense and yes it is early, but you can see there is a lot of progress for us as a program.

So I love the guy, I hope he stays for as long as we can keep him so we get better and better and better recruits. Our stadium only holds 40k and we were still 6k short on tickets sold for our home opener. That should tell you the kind of difference between our fan bases. You guys sell out your spring game, we are lucky if we can sell out 1 of our 7 home games. This is after having 3 winning seasons in a row. If Leach does it again this year that will be the first time since like the 1920s that WSU has had 4 winning seasons in a row, and still we can't sell out our home opener.

Leach has done a hell of a job for us, so my only goal is to keep him as long as possible and keep building the program up.

Thanks for your kindly input and good luck to the cougs beating Washington will be a tough task..

Thx for observations but wont take 4yrs to be at parity with Wisconsin. It will happen quicker than that.

Nice analysis from another outsiders perspective. I might add Penn State to the list of tOSU, Michigan and Wisconsin.
.02 and, Go Cats !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT