ADVERTISEMENT

NW spring game

huskerbux

Recruiting Coordinator
Aug 24, 2006
Omaha
How cute. Little practice field with bleachers that hold maybe 500 and aren't close to being full.

You're right Donahue, it is embarrassing. Why, we're the only team to ever struggle against them!

Oh wait, last year they beat Penn State, Wisconsin and Notre Dame. Maybe you want a mulligan on this post?

Oh...and I'm not going to give any other team gruff for treating a spring game with the appropriate amount of apathy. The fact that I sat my butt down on my coach to watch ours, often rewinding plays, isn't something I would brag on to people out enjoying the weather. I enjoy it, but it's still kind of messed up.

NW did it right with where they held that. People in Chicago are not coming to a practice for a team that will struggle to be just OK next year. Cubs, Sox, Bulls and Blackhawks, and Fire are all in season right now, and we talkin' 'bout PRACTICE.

Don't set yourself up to have shots of an empty stadium when you could have a view over Lake Michigan instead. They broadcast the most impressive view they had to offer.

NW has a good coach. They don't have Nebraska's talent. They don't have the same talent as several teams they beat last season....sigh of good coaching.

Just like Minny has a good coach.....they don't have as many good players as Nebraska - but they had the better oline, an absolute stud at DT that handed our oline their arses all day long - and a good stable of RBs. Lost their key RB and still kicked our teeth in - mostly via good coaching.

Hopefully - Riley is better at not getting his clipboard handed to him by other teams in the Big 10.

Originally posted by TheBeav815:
NW did it right with where they held that. People in Chicago are not coming to a practice for a team that will struggle to be just OK next year. Cubs, Sox, Bulls and Blackhawks, and Fire are all in season right now, and we talkin' 'bout PRACTICE.

Don't set yourself up to have shots of an empty stadium when you could have a view over Lake Michigan instead. They broadcast the most impressive view they had to offer.
Cubs and Blackhawks weren't in town. Bulls had a night game, White Sox were home but no Cubs fan would be there so that's a pool to draw from and the Fire was off.

For recruits to sit in bleachers that Omaha North fans would laugh at, at a Lacross field is lame. View of Lake Michigan....big deal. If nobody is going to show, at least have the recruits see teh field and get a feel for the stadium.

For the TV affect, it was empty at the Lacross field so it looked even worse than an empty stadium.

I get the "Practice" part and not many programs do it like Nebraska/Bama,Ohio State etc but if you want to impress recruits at a practice - have them see what it like on game day. Fom the lockers to the field.

They finished practice, had their post practice notes read as far as workout schedules, training table schedules etc. Then as an afterthought coach yells "Hey do you want to meet the new guys?" and then paraded 10-12 guys on to the field as players started to leave. Again - lame.

Originally posted by huskerbux:

Cubs and Blackhawks weren't in town. Bulls had a night game, White Sox were home but no Cubs fan would be there so that's a pool to draw from and the Fire was off.

For recruits to sit in bleachers that Omaha North fans would laugh at, at a Lacross field is lame. View of Lake Michigan....big deal. If nobody is going to show, at least have the recruits see teh field and get a feel for the stadium.

For the TV affect, it was empty at the Lacross field so it looked even worse than an empty stadium.

I get the "Practice" part and not many programs do it like Nebraska/Bama,Ohio State etc but if you want to impress recruits at a practice - have them see what it like on game day. Fom the lockers to the field.

They finished practice, had their post practice notes read as far as workout schedules, training table schedules etc. Then as an afterthought coach yells "Hey do you want to meet the new guys?" and then paraded 10-12 guys on to the field as players started to leave. Again - lame.

I knew somebody would hit me with the team schedules. My point was that if you're hungry for sports in Chicago, you have way better options in a given week than to watch Northwestern have a dizzy bat race. They don't sell that stadium during the season unless a power school's fans show out.

I guess there must be other things to do in the spring in Chicago. Go figure.

I knew somebody would hit me with the team schedules. My point was that if you're hungry for sports in Chicago, you have way better options in a given week than to watch Northwestern have a dizzy bat race. They don't sell that stadium during the season unless a power school's fans show out.
Well, you did bring up those teams as reason why fans wouldn't show up so of course I had to check.
wink.r191677.gif
Look, I know Chicago is not Lincoln...or Omaha.

Just thought it was lame to even have that on TV. In this day and age of social media, there is no way to sell that to the masses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT