ADVERTISEMENT

No respect for UCF

Yeah, I agree but at the same time I am totally over anything UFC right now. I bet on them a lot during the season and of course wanted Frost to come here to NU but now...they go back to being another team I will not make it a point to watch them.
I will pay some degree of attention. Primarily because I expect to be able to see what a difference Frost made to the team. Not rooting for them to fail by any means; just expecting a degradation.

If you're not going to let them in the playoffs, at least throw them a bone and put them at 2 or 3. What harm does it do?

Not only does UCF end up at #6 in AP poll, but ESPN's Schlabach is already shoving them down to #21 in his way too early rankings for next season - below Boise State. No respect (for Heupel...)!

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...al-ap-poll-undefeated-ucf-knights-settle-no-6

Why would you care about their ranking for 2018?
- Frost will be at Nebraska
- They lose 3 starters on the offensive line, and their 3 top defensive playmakers will head to the NFL.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
I will pay some degree of attention. Primarily because I expect to be able to see what a difference Frost made to the team. Not rooting for them to fail by any means; just expecting a degradation.

I agree. That is why I will be watching what Frost does at Nebraska. I want to compare Frost with Heupel. Of course Heupel is inheriting a team that is stacked with returning players whereas Frost inherited a 0-12 team at UCF. On the other hand Frost has higher rated recruits and a ton of money for football related agenda's. I think it should be interesting.

Reactions: RNY_Husker
Not only does UCF end up at #6 in AP poll, but ESPN's Schlabach is already shoving them down to #21 in his way too early rankings for next season - below Boise State. No respect (for Heupel...)!

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...al-ap-poll-undefeated-ucf-knights-settle-no-6

They don’t deserve to be ranked that high, except it’s part of the politics. Even SF said they didn’t really play the top teams that it takes. Nor would they want to in most years. They’d get pounded. He took over a great team and did a great job with them. Time to move on folks.

Reactions: davecisar
I've lurked on this message board for many years and rarely posted. It has always amazed me over the years how many posters go out of their way to show their Husker purity by putting down other programs, making sure that everyone knows that they ONLY pay attention to the Huskers, etc. Are we football fans here or not? You don't have to root for or care about another team (ie. UCF) to be interested in how and why those teams evolve over time. Admit it, UCF was a fun team to watch this year (especially with Frost on his way here) and it will be equally interesting to see the impact of their coaching change. I wish them luck (as usual, unless the Huskers are playing them).

Lurk

They don’t deserve to be ranked that high, except it’s part of the politics. Even SF said they didn’t really play the top teams that it takes. Nor would they want to in most years. They’d get pounded. He took over a great team and did a great job with them. Time to move on folks.
I’m going to go out on a limb and say you’re the only person in America that would suggest Frost took over a great team. They were 0-12 when he took over! I see what you’re doing here… Since they were already great, Frost and his accomplishments aren’t as impressive. I wish you would just move on.

Be glad they're at #6. Because it's just another confirmation of the reality that you're either in a Power 5 conference or you're nothing. Literally no shot to compete for a national title. And that's the whole reason Frost is here.

It's funny, it wouldn't be hard to imagine an alternate history where at some point in the last 100 years Nebraska football hit a fork in the road and ended up more like a group of 5 football school than a blue blood. Thank you Big 8.

Any chance you could take your buddy arbitr8 back with you to the Iowa board and obsess over UCF and / or Nebraska there? Do you guys even have your own board?

I’m going to go out on a limb and say you’re the only person in America that would suggest Frost took over a great team. They were 0-12 when he took over! I see what you’re doing here… Since they were already great, Frost and his accomplishments aren’t as impressive. I wish you would just move on.

Not true. They were 12-1 in 2013, 9-4 in 2014 then the 0-12 in 2015. There was talent there that needed to be coached up.

Not true. They were 12-1 in 2013, 9-4 in 2014 then the 0-12 in 2015. There was talent there that needed to be coached up.
That’s different than saying they were great when he arrived. Also take into account that many of his starters were his own recruits.

Footballfinatic has a history of downplaying anything Husker related, and now that Frost is 100% coach, it’s time to diminish his accomplishments. That’s his MO, and I’m tired of it.

The only record that matters is the most recent...the huskers won 9 games in 2013, who cares, it had no bearing on the last season. Plus the three most important players were either promoted or recruited by Frost...they would likely have never played under another staff. Frost won't ever replicated what he just did but he may get close...and that might be enough at NU.

Reactions: WHCSC
If it wasn't already clear, it's clear now-a non-Power 5 school has virtually no chance of winning a national championship. The key for a non-Power 5 school is to try to get into a Power 5 conference. Utah complained loudly after they went undefeated in 2004 that a minor conference school couldn't win a national championship-they eventually made it into the Pac 12. The only slim chance a non-Power 5 school has is to get a really good Power 5 school on the schedule and beat them and win all their other games, and then maybe they have a chance to get in the playoff. It would have been interesting to see if Houston could have managed it in 2016-after they beat Oklahoma the first game of the season, there was much talk of them possibly having a chance to do it, but that went out the window when they lost to Navy in game 6. UCF had a game with Georgia Tech canceled due to Hurricane Irma, but even if they had played that game and won, it's doubtful that would have helped them much-Georgia Tech finished 5-6.
Although it seems clear that Frost would have stayed at UCF next year if the Nebraska job hadn't come open, I think he would have left at some point-as much as he liked coaching there, the reality of not being able to win a national championship would have weighed on him eventually.

Reactions: nu2u
I agree. That is why I will be watching what Frost does at Nebraska. I want to compare Frost with Heupel. On the other hand Frost has higher rated recruits and a ton of money for football related agenda's. I think it should be interesting.

So you want to watch what Frost does at Nebraska while comparing him to Heuple and giving Frost credit for having higher ranked recruits and a ton of money? Well keep this in mind. UCF plays nobody who is ranked in the pre-season top 25 by ESPN. I'll repeat that.......nobody. Nebraska plays 4 in the top 13 with three of them being on the road. In addition to that schedule we also have Northwestern and Iowa on the road who are likely top 25 contenders. Schedules like that is what happens when you are in a power 5.

Frost is very unlikely to match the wins and losses of Heuple next year but it won't be because Heuple is the better coach.

Yeah, I agree but at the same time I am totally over anything UFC right now. I bet on them a lot during the season and of course wanted Frost to come here to NU but now...they go back to being another team I will not make it a point to watch them.
This. I don't care about UCF. Not sure why anyone else in the country would either. Unless you are a student there or an alumni.
Only reason I did was because Frost was there and wanted him to succeed. They are an unimportant school who at this point has nothing to do with us. I lost respect for their AD when he blocked Vedral transfer and lost respect for their fan base during this whole process.

Reactions: Huskercigar
If it wasn't already clear, it's clear now-a non-Power 5 school has virtually no chance of winning a national championship. The key for a non-Power 5 school is to try to get into a Power 5 conference. Utah complained loudly after they went undefeated in 2004 that a minor conference school couldn't win a national championship-they eventually made it into the Pac 12. The only slim chance a non-Power 5 school has is to get a really good Power 5 school on the schedule and beat them and win all their other games, and then maybe they have a chance to get in the playoff. It would have been interesting to see if Houston could have managed it in 2016-after they beat Oklahoma the first game of the season, there was much talk of them possibly having a chance to do it, but that went out the window when they lost to Navy in game 6. UCF had a game with Georgia Tech canceled due to Hurricane Irma, but even if they had played that game and won, it's doubtful that would have helped them much-Georgia Tech finished 5-6.
Although it seems clear that Frost would have stayed at UCF next year if the Nebraska job hadn't come open, I think he would have left at some point-as much as he liked coaching there, the reality of not being able to win a national championship would have weighed on him eventually.
I do wonder what power 5 would take UCF? Conferences expand to gain something. Gain viewership area, gain money, gain academic accomplishment.

UCF can offer non of that. The only thing they could maybe offer is viewership footprint. That is even iffy considering half their games were half full. Until their fan base actually shows up and cares. Neither will any other power 5 conference.

Reactions: HuskerLLM

Exactly. I’m guessing the folks leaving early to the NFL and we’re obviously there before SF weren’t good until the past 2 years. Smh

Name one top 20 team they played during the regular season? These schools can’t complain about being left out. Move on UCF or go play the big boys. Let me know how that works out.

UCF would be ecstatic to play the big boys. Most big boy schools won't play them, ever.

Reactions: huskers360
Didn't know I had to prove something that's commonly known. Numerous articles over the past few years about Power 5 coaches preferring to play an all Power 5 schedule. ESPN has done several polls of coaches. Google it, I'm not your research department and I don't care if you agree or not. Danny White would cream his shorts if he could schedule the blue bloods annually. Or don't you remember the Boise St. AD saying a few years ago that they would play anyone anywhere?

Old article but I remember it well: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/310720-why-wont-nebraska-play-boise-state-in-2011

Didn't know I had to prove something that's commonly known. Numerous articles over the past few years about Power 5 coaches preferring to play an all Power 5 schedule. ESPN has done several polls of coaches. Google it, I'm not your research department and I don't care if you agree or not. Danny White would cream his shorts if he could schedule the blue bloods annually. Or don't you remember the Boise St. AD saying a few years ago that they would play anyone anywhere?

Old article but I remember it well: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/310720-why-wont-nebraska-play-boise-state-in-2011

Its your statement......I'm not going to research it either if a one man opinion article similar to what you referenced is what's out there. I'll just disagree with you that UCF is wanting to play all these blue bloods and are getting turned down. The above article doesn't have anything to do with UCF and Danny White.

Fair enough. You do have proof that UCF and other top Group of 5 schools are ducking games with top 10 schools that want to play them, right? Since you're the proof guy.

Fair enough. You do have proof that UCF and other top Group of 5 schools are ducking games with top 10 schools that want to play them, right? Since you're the proof guy.
No I don't. I'm not making that claim......just trying to understand whether your claim is correct. Hey not trying to fight here......just wanting to know if there is anything to this. I don't want to pass on this type of accusations in anything I post if there isn't some type of legitimacy to it. Its highly possible the Danny White's or the UCF whinny fans are just making all this up. I really wanted to know if you had any proof.

I do wonder what power 5 would take UCF? Conferences expand to gain something. Gain viewership area, gain money, gain academic accomplishment.

UCF can offer non of that. The only thing they could maybe offer is viewership footprint. That is even iffy considering half their games were half full. Until their fan base actually shows up and cares. Neither will any other power 5 conference.
Some of their fans seem to think they had a good chance of getting into the Big 12, but most things I read from 2016 when the Big 12 was considering expansion indicated they were probably about the 5th choice at best.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Understood. Going back to what I originally said, I'll stick with the first part, which is that I truly believe the truth is that most Group of 5 schools would love to play any and all Power 5 schools in their non conference schedule. I guess the notion from Footbalfinantic "move on or go play the big boys" is what I really disagreed with. Whether it's because they think they can compete or because of the financial windfall involved, I don't think Group of 5 schools refuse any Power 5 game they can get.

I'll back off the second part of my statement that most of the big boys won't play them, ever. Stanford is on UCF's schedule in 2019, and Texas a few years later. It is true that ESPN has done polling that shows a majority of Power 5 coaches would prefer to play only Power 5 schools. http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...r-five-coaches-want-power-five-only-schedules

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT