ADVERTISEMENT

No one will poach from the ACC for at least another 10 years

moralvictories

First Team All-Big Ten
Jan 22, 2022
The ACC is safe for at least another 10 years because of their grant of rights which runs thru 2036. No team is going to be able to afford to pay the exit fee.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
a team may not be able to, but the BIG or SEC can afford it. Plus they would get a boost to their tv contracts in return.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Other than Clemson, what teams are attractive poaching targets?

Other than Clemson, what teams are attractive poaching targets?

The academic nerds in the Big Ten would love to add Duke, UVA, UNC, Georgia Tech, and Boston College. If it were up to them, they would kick us out of the Big Ten in a heartbeat if they could add any of these schools instead.

Notre Dame will eventually be in the ACC when their hand will finally be forced when they conference’s are getting larger and larger..

Florida State, Miami, and North Carolina.
Florida State isnt AAU. B1G wants UF. Top 2 targets for expansion are UF and Notre Dame for the B1G. They would take Georgia Tech and UNC over UVA. Clemson and FSU want to go to the SEC. Miami probably goes to the B1G cause I doubt Florida will leave the SEC. But maybe Sasse is the B1G's ace in the hole to get them to the B1G.

Reactions: moralvictories
Notre Dame isn't giving up it's independent status in football anytime soon. Likely, the ACC gets poached long before Notre Dame finally joins a conference in football.
I think had the CFB poobahs stuck with a four team playoff for another few years, ND would have knuckled under. Now I asssume they assume they'll be one of the twelve most years.

The ACC is safe for at least another 10 years because of their grant of rights which runs thru 2036. No team is going to be able to afford to pay the exit fee.
Unless of course enough teams get together and all want to leave at once. It could happen if the college football world evolves into some kind of super conference set up that locks the ACC out of the playoffs.

Unless of course enough teams get together and all want to leave at once. It could happen if the college football world evolves into some kind of super conference set up that locks the ACC out of the playoffs.
True

Florida State isnt AAU. B1G wants UF. Top 2 targets for expansion are UF and Notre Dame for the B1G. They would take Georgia Tech and UNC over UVA. Clemson and FSU want to go to the SEC. Miami probably goes to the B1G cause I doubt Florida will leave the SEC. But maybe Sasse is the B1G's ace in the hole to get them to the B1G.
The B1G would likely take either Florida State or Miami just to get the TV market in the state of Florida and for recruiting.

That works both ways though.

The better recruits will choose to play in the SEC or the B1G before opting for the ACC.

THE SEC and the B1G have separated themselves as the 2 best conferences.

Reactions: TheNewNU
The B1G would likely take either Florida State or Miami just to get the TV market in the state of Florida and for recruiting.
Not sure if b1g would stick to it's aau fascination, but I don't think Miami nor fsu are members 🤔

From the research I have done. It seems like we could get to 20 or 24 teams in the next decade. Problem is, it has to put more money in the pocket of the current 16 member schools to do it. Based on that

I would guess likely candidates for expansion are in terms are:

B1G Would take in a heartbeat:
Notre Dame
Florida
Texas
Texas A&M

B1G could take but are not top candidates:
Washington
Georgia Tech
UNC
Virginia
Oregon
Stanford
Cal Berkley
Miami
Florida State

B1G could consider but probably not take:
Kansas
Missouri
Colorado
Arizona
Utah
Vanderbilt
Pitt

I have no idea who the B1G will get. Other than I think ND is probably gonna happen before anything else.

I think had the CFB poobahs stuck with a four team playoff for another few years, ND would have knuckled under. Now I asssume they assume they'll be one of the twelve most years.
not many teams made the 4-team playoff more than ND

they will never join a conference. nor should they

Reactions: moralvictories
not many teams made the 4-team playoff more than ND

they will never join a conference. nor should they
Notre Dame is #1 on the still available list but #2 is North Carolina and the gap between #2 and #3 is huge. #3 and #4 are Miami and Texas A&M if A&M is on the table.

But you are correct that the Irish aren't going to join a conference until they are forced to. There's only two ways that happens and both are a lot more likely to start being more likely then not for the first time in a very long time.

The only way Notre Dame joins a conference is if the college football playoffs start making being a conference a qualifying marker or the financial disparity becomes too large for them to remain com competitive. Surprisingly that financial support problem may be the most likely outcome and maybe a lot sooner than anyone imagined.

Notre Dame is #1 on the still available list but #2 is North Carolina and the gap between #2 and #3 is huge. #3 and #4 are Miami and Texas A&M if A&M is on the table.

But you are correct that the Irish aren't going to join a conference until they are forced to. There's only two ways that happens and both are a lot more likely to start being more likely then not for the first time in a very long time.

The only way Notre Dame joins a conference is if the college football playoffs start making being a conference a qualifying marker or the financial disparity becomes too large for them to remain com competitive. Surprisingly that financial support problem may be the most likely outcome and maybe a lot sooner than anyone imagined.
Texas A&M is highly unlikely to leave the SEC.

The academic nerds in the Big Ten would love to add Duke, UVA, UNC, Georgia Tech, and Boston College. If it were up to them, they would kick us out of the Big Ten in a heartbeat if they could add any of these schools instead.
Au contraire mon frère! They wanted us so bad they lowered their standards just to get us, that's how much of a hot chick we are. You should feel damn proud to be a Husker.

Given the on field performance since joining the football nerds would agree.

FSU athletic director came out and said recently in a board of trustees meeting, "It's impossible" for FSU to compete nationally with the projected revenue disparity. ACC schools to rake in $17M annually with their media rights deal. B1G schools will net $67M a year. The ACC will not survive with that deal in place. PAC12 is already dying. Seeming very plausible the B1G SEC and XII will be the only big time conferences left in the next few years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT