ADVERTISEMENT

No DL in this recruiting class? ...

HuskerBorn

Junior
Oct 23, 2009
Did we strike out on every D-lineman we were after this year? Are there any targets left? Not good if that is the case and is Hank Hughes in hot water over it?

I think you mean no DT's. We will probably end up with 3 DE's (Stille, Ivey and Miler), plus Alexander could play DE, if he actually signs. I can't believe that we have no intention of taking a DT this class, but the staff seems to be comfortable with it and I don't think Hughes is in hot water over it.

Next year will be huge for DT recruiting, we will need 2 HS DT's and maybe a JUCO too. After not taking one this year, we can't strike out on the DT's we get next year. Especially with our top 2-3 DTs being Sr's next year.

Time to shut down the board. From the crazies who say we will be in the teens to the people fist pumping about being in the mid 20's to posts like these that criticize a staff before signing day this board has gone off it's rocker.

Jefferson is another hybrid DE/LB type we could end up with along with Miller, Ivy, and Stille.

I wish we could have brought in one HS DT though.

This staff wants a DT this class, but their targets have picked other places. The one that hurt was the kid from Illinois who canceled his OV in favor of Iowa State.

I still think they will try and get one. But they may put their focus in other spots and go hard at DT in 2017.

I'm not blaming Hughes yet. I want to see his results after 2016 and how the DL plays next fall.

Did we strike out on every D-lineman we were after this year? Are there any targets left? Not good if that is the case and is Hank Hughes in hot water over it?
The Davis twins will be like signing two D-tackles this year. If you think about it Collins and Maurice did not redshirt and played as true freshman. I am sure the staff looks at scholarship numbers by position rather than by just signing a D-tackle every year just to do it, poor scholarship distribution is how you end up with lack of depth at other positions.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Yeah, keep an eye on their LB recruits as potential DEs. McMullen will move to DT (which many say is his best position) and Williams is coming back.

For that matter, are any of their DE commits potentially big enough to move inside?

The Davis twins will be like signing two D-tackles this year. If you think about it Collins and Maurice did not redshirt and played as true freshman. I am sure the staff looks at scholarship numbers by position rather than by just signing a D-tackle every year just to do it, poor scholarship distribution is how you end up with lack of depth at other positions.

Agree but Maurice, Williams and McMullen are all Sr's next year. That just leaves the Davis twins and Stolenberg the following year. That is not alot of bodies, just look at all the injuries we had at DT this year. I think this is going to be a great class, but the lack of a HS DT does concern me.

Agree but Maurice, Williams and McMullen are all Sr's next year. That just leaves the Davis twins and Stolenberg the following year. That is not alot of bodies, just look at all the injuries we had at DT this year. I think this is going to be a great class, but the lack of a HS DT does concern me.
And maybe they still get a D-tackle this year, but this staff does not strike me as taking somebody just to take somebody, it could also be a sign of moving to more of a 3-4 look. Maybe when they signed Jordan Stevenson and he arrived on campus they thought he might just eat himself into a d-tackle. LaughingLaughingLaughing

I still wouldn't be surprised at a last weekend visit from a DT, not saying it will happen but just would not shock me.

Maybe we already have a DT who is a silent commit.

Can't imagine who it would be. Jordan Elliot is the only DT that came on an official visit and he is a Michigan commit (although he is taking an official to Texas this weekend).

Banker's comments in today's LJS weren't very kind to VV. You typically need 4-5 DT's minimum throughout the course of a season...getting Kev Williams back for another yr could be big.

GBR

Time to shut down the board. From the crazies who say we will be in the teens to the people fist pumping about being in the mid 20's to posts like these that criticize a staff before signing day this board has gone off it's rocker.
You're the expert. No idea why you are here, except to constantly bitch about the place. It's clear you can't handle being banned dozens of times for trolling, and your feelings are hurt. Now that you are back you continue the act, and bring nothing besides bitching. Why keep coming to such a terrible place?

Tom, it's a football chat board open to the public. What do you expect? A discussion on nuclear physics? (Actually, that was last week, I think).

You left out, "To the ones who lament how bad it will be if we finish in the 20s..."

What happened to Newell?

Tom, it's a football chat board open to the public. What do you expect? A discussion on nuclear physics? (Actually, that was last week, I think).
Have you seen the research coming out of MIT about turbulence at the electron and ion levels, and the impact of that turbulence on heat dissipation in a fusion reaction? Fascinating stuff, really. Cool

Reactions: Crushinator
What about Peyton Newell? It seems like he is never mentioned in regards to being a player, most people were pretty pumped when he signed with NU.

I know he's on the team and I think he's at DT now (seems like a real tweener), but he doesn't seem to be in the staffs' future plans. Maybe someone with more knowledge can elaborate.
Sophomore Peyton Newell also will get a long look "to see if he can play at this level," said Banker.
So inside, we will have McMullen, Maurice, KWill, and one or both of the Davis twins. McMullen will be available to play DE if need be. Outside we have Freedom and Dzuris. Banker mentioned Sedrick King as having the tools to be in the mix if he's willing to do the work to develop. Said Alex Davis is too green at present. Are we after a JUCO DE?

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_93db6b56-0638-57ea-adb4-2670e5c33fe4.html

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Chances are good that McMullen, Maurice, Williams, Freedom, Dzuris and possibly Stoltenburg get a lot of snaps early, with the younger guys working into the rotation as the season progresses.

I think you mean no DT's. We will probably end up with 3 DE's (Stille, Ivey and Miler), plus Alexander could play DE, if he actually signs. I can't believe that we have no intention of taking a DT this class, but the staff seems to be comfortable with it and I don't think Hughes is in hot water over it.

Next year will be huge for DT recruiting, we will need 2 HS DT's and maybe a JUCO too. After not taking one this year, we can't strike out on the DT's we get next year. Especially with our top 2-3 DTs being Sr's next year.
Yes, meant DT - Thanks!

Reactions: headcard
Sophomore Peyton Newell also will get a long look "to see if he can play at this level," said Banker.
So inside, we will have McMullen, Maurice, KWill, and one or both of the Davis twins. McMullen will be available to play DE if need be. Outside we have Freedom and Dzuris. Banker mentioned Sedrick King as having the tools to be in the mix if he's willing to do the work to develop. Said Alex Davis is too green at present. Are we after a JUCO DE?

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_93db6b56-0638-57ea-adb4-2670e5c33fe4.html

Ivy is a Juco DE

Have you seen the research coming out of MIT about turbulence at the electron and ion levels, and the impact of that turbulence on heat dissipation in a fusion reaction? Fascinating stuff, really. Cool

"Particle Fever" (on Netflix) is honestly one of the most interesting documentaries I've ever watched. It's about the Large Hatton Collider and the staff's quest to find the 'God Particle.'

I saw on another board that Alaric Jackson wants to play DT. I have no idea if we are recruiting him to play defense, but it's interesting for sure.

Reactions: lovetheskers
They recruited DT's but didn't get any that they wanted. I think that Watts kid they offered late was as much of a fallback as they were willing to take, and maybe the kid didn't like that. They do have 2 good DTs coming off redshirt, so I guess they don't want to reach. We're fine for next year. It's just with McMullen, Williams, and Maurice as seniors, we're hurting for 2017. Ideally, we should be recruiting now to deal with that, especially for a position like DT where it usually takes some maturity.

Perhaps a JUCO DT for next year? However, NU hasn't had luck in a long time in getting a JUCO DT, and not for lack of effort.

Reactions: headcard
"Particle Fever" (on Netflix) is honestly one of the most interesting documentaries I've ever watched. It's about the Large Hatton Collider and the staff's quest to find the 'God Particle.'
Might have been auto-correct that screwed you but its Hadron.

They recruited DT's but didn't get any that they wanted. I think that Watts kid they offered late was as much of a fallback as they were willing to take, and maybe the kid didn't like that. They do have 2 good DTs coming off redshirt, so I guess they don't want to reach. We're fine for next year. It's just with McMullen, Williams, and Maurice as seniors, we're hurting for 2017. Ideally, we should be recruiting now to deal with that, especially for a position like DT where it usually takes some maturity.

Perhaps a JUCO DT for next year? However, NU hasn't had luck in a long time in getting a JUCO DT, and not for lack of effort.

Exactly my thoughts.

If you make the assumption that a player needs at least one year of development before he is ready to contribute then 2017 is looking pretty thin. There is very little wiggle room for injuries or players not living up to expectations. That is not ideal.

Further, I think you have to look at how the previous staff handled recruiting this position and try not to make the same mistakes. If Valentine and Collins had elected to stay for their senior year, we would be losing FOUR players to graduation in 2017. I understand redshirts played a factor in this, but we're talking about total roster turnover at this position in one year. Therefore, I think you almost have to recruit 1-2 players in EVERY position group each year so you have a constant stream of players going through the program to minimize the impact of graduation. You can't skip it one year and then try to make it up the following year. The problem could easily repeat itself in the future.

I'm not saying they need to take someone just to take someone because I think we're only interested in quality players that can play at this level, but I think this should have been a much bigger priority to staff than apparently it was. And keep in mind, the offensive and defensive lines are extremely important in football. I would rather the scholarship allocation lean heavy on these position groups than some of the skill groups. If we don't have a good defensive line then we probably don't have much of a chance of being a good defense. Just my opinion.

Reactions: zamzman
If you make the assumption that a player needs at least one year of development before he is ready to contribute then 2017 is looking pretty thin. There is very little wiggle room for injuries or players not living up to expectations. That is not ideal.

Further, I think you have to look at how the previous staff handled recruiting this position and try not to make the same mistakes. If Valentine and Collins had elected to stay for their senior year, we would be losing FOUR players to graduation in 2017. I understand redshirts played a factor in this, but we're talking about total roster turnover at this position in one year. Therefore, I think you almost have to recruit 1-2 players in EVERY position group each year so you have a constant stream of players going through the program to minimize the impact of graduation. You can't skip it one year and then try to make it up the following year. The problem could easily repeat itself in the future.

I'm not saying they need to take someone just to take someone because I think we're only interested in quality players that can play at this level, but I think this should have been a much bigger priority to staff than apparently it was. And keep in mind, the offensive and defensive lines are extremely important in football. I would rather the scholarship allocation lean heavy on these position groups than some of the skill groups. If we don't have a good defensive line then we probably don't have much of a chance of being a good defense. Just my opinion.
Getting a good DT WAS a priority. The problem is that there just aren't that many guys out there that meet the criteria. It is probably the hardest position to recruit. We got damned lucky with a couple of guys that literally fell in our lap. Maurice was picked up after seeing him at bowl practice. Collins was a little known commodity in a crappy program. That doesn't happen every year that you pick up guys like that late and have their talent.

Getting a good DT WAS a priority. The problem is that there just aren't that many guys out there that meet the criteria. It is probably the hardest position to recruit. We got damned lucky with a couple of guys that literally fell in our lap. Maurice was picked up after seeing him at bowl practice. Collins was a little known commodity in a crappy program. That doesn't happen every year that you pick up guys like that late and have their talent.

I have heard that DT is a tough position to recruit and I'm not a coach so I guess I'll just have to accept that, but I don't agree with a recruiting strategy that involves getting lucky and counting on players falling in our lap. Rivals has 50+ players rated a 5.6 three star or better and nearly every B1G program has 1-2 DT commits in their class. The staff has done a lot of good things in recruiting this year, but this is not one of them.

I have heard that DT is a tough position to recruit and I'm not a coach so I guess I'll just have to accept that, but I don't agree with a recruiting strategy that involves getting lucky and counting on players falling in our lap. Rivals has 50+ players rated a 5.6 three star or better and nearly every B1G program has 1-2 DT commits in their class. The staff has done a lot of good things in recruiting this year, but this is not one of them.
Pretty sure dingle wasn't recommending that strategy... And pretty sure the coaches didn't follow that strategy. They went after some guys but for whatever reason didn't get the response. I don't think it was a lack of effort on the coaches' part though.

A lot of DL roster space was occupied by kids who washed out or didn't pan out over the past several years. At this point, do we take a guy at DT just to take a guy at DT? The staff has a target of 16 (I think) scholarship spots for the DL. That's four per spot on average. We have the highly regarded Davis twins, Alex Davis and Daishon Neal with four left to play, Freedom, King, Newell and Stoltenberg with three left, plus AJ Natter. That's 9 guys with 2 or more years left in the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT