ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Strikes Again

My dad, who oozes integrity and faith and doesn't have a manipulative bone in his body and is the kind of dad everyone should have and everyone loves, never would have let me do what you are suggesting, and I appreciate him for that more and more the older I get. If yours would teach you to do what this kid did, we just live in different zip codes when it comes to your word and integrity and thinking of how your decision affects others. That's fine, everyone mileage on this differs, just sharing how I feel about it.
Your Dad would not have let you make your own choices when you were in your 20's?

My dad would have offered me advice and given me his thoughts and then told me that I would need to make the choice that I felt was best for me.

Need clear concise uniform standards across the field. (of teams and conferences) Whatever form that takes…
The only way (literally) that happens is through collective bargaining

Your Dad would not have let you make your own choices when you were in your 20's?

My dad would have offered me advice and given me his thoughts and then told me that I would need to make the choice that I felt was best for me.

I would have absolutely asked his advice, and after listening to him, and I know what he'd say...I know what I would do.

...this kid deserves a wife who leaves him after 10 years for a richer husband. hahaha. kidding, sort of.

I would have absolutely asked his advice, and after listening to him, and I know what he'd say...I know what I would do.

...this kid deserves a wife who leaves him after 10 years for a richer husband. hahaha. kidding, sort of.
I mean, if he is REALLY lucky, she will leave him and he will be free and happy! Haha

• Haha
Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan

And what do the alleged renegers deserve?

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
The ncaa didn’t throw their hands up and say f it

They lost every single court case in which they attempted to keep money out of players’ hands
As we have seen politically speaking. If you have the money you can keep fighting and fighting. The bottom line is they caved and basically allowed an "anything goes
Yes...I am 100% okay with people trying to make the best life for themselves. If that means taking more money from another place, great. If that means staying with the place they like more, great.

In this case, they get 4-5 years to do this and to make money. That is it. Imagine a clock starting when you turned 18 and that clock had 43,800 hours on it or 5 years...And you KNEW when that clock hit 0:00, that your chances of ever making money like that again WHILE getting school for free, would be gone forever. What would you do?

Most of these guys might snag 500K for a year of CFB and then it gone and their next job is probably going to start them at 50K a year or so.

Think back to when you were that age and how much time you blew, maybe you didn't, but I did, I blew a ton of it, I wish I had that time back.
I don't blame the kids and you are right about getting paid what you can while you can. But the adults in the room dropped the ball on this BS.

My dad, who oozes integrity and faith and doesn't have a manipulative bone in his body and is the kind of dad everyone should have and everyone loves, never would have let me do what you are suggesting, and I appreciate him for that more and more the older I get. If yours would teach you to do what this kid did, we just live in different zip codes when it comes to your word and integrity and thinking of how your decision affects others. That's fine, everyone mileage on this differs, just sharing how I feel about it.
As someone suggested, the fine print is probably at fault here. We would have to see the agreement to call this correctly. Did the university screw him or was it some one loosely tied to the university in no official capacity, such as a car dealer who didn’t deliver on an Escalade via handshake agreement?

His choices are to passively aggressively redshirt or try the legal system. Guess which one is going to get faster results and make a bigger mark?

Bottom line, the whole thing is stupid and needs to be fixed.

As we have seen politically speaking. If you have the money you can keep fighting and fighting. The bottom line is they caved and basically allowed an "anything goes

I don't blame the kids and you are right about getting paid what you can while you can. But the adults in the room dropped the ball on this BS.
Yeah, I totally get that. What we are seeing now is how CFB and CBB has always worked but two things have changed.

1. Now paying players is out in the open and not hidden in the dark like it was forever.
2. Now the PLAYERS have all/more power, because they have freedom of movement.

30 years ago, this kids deal was done behind closed doors, with a bag of cash. And if they said they would give him 200K now and 200K later...well, once he signed, he was gonna be ****ed and his only recourse would be to blab about getting paid which would only really hurt him and his chances to ever play again.

This is where I struggle from an integrity standpoint. If he agrees to accept a job from company A based on the financial package being higher than company B,C,D and after 8 months on the job (where he is likely meeting or exceeding expectations) they decide to not pay him the financial package promised.

He states trying to work with them to make it happen to ensure their promise is fulfilled - hit roadblocks which showed it wasn’t going to happen. As a result his leaving is not an integrity issue in my eyes.

If he was smart... Which he clearly isn't. He should have got the deal cleared before he started playing.
Now the idiot wants compensation.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
If he was smart... Which he clearly isn't. He should have got the deal cleared before he started playing.
Now the idiot wants compensation.
My guess, and that is all this is, a guess. If that he was told/signed something saying he would be getting paid weekly or each game, something like that. Or that, just like most of us get a paycheck, we sort of just assume we will get it.

I agree with you though, looking back on it, he should have tried to get it all at once.

To be publicly shamed, hopefully boycotted, forced to close or at the very least the University tells them to never come around again and to have future athletes steer clear.
and what if it's the UNLV NIL collective, which is my suspicion?

This is where I struggle from an integrity standpoint. If he agrees to accept a job from company A based on the financial package being higher than company B,C,D and after 8 months on the job (where he is likely meeting or exceeding expectations) they decide to not pay him the financial package promised.

He states trying to work with them to make it happen to ensure their promise is fulfilled - hit roadblocks which showed it wasn’t going to happen. As a result his leaving is not an integrity issue in my eyes.
Very well stated.

I'd want to know that first before I could answer...do we know? Do we know if he quit because somebody offered more elsewhere, as is also being reported?
I can't imagine this taking place if it was just a private business.

I suspect the UNLV NIL collective is at fault here.

could be wrong.

Reactions: RBigredMax
I watched a great interview with Greg Sankey, nick saban and Marty Smith talking about all of this. The ncaa and commissioners are really handcuffed right now. The basic gist of it is this: they want rules and regulations but there are so many ongoing lawsuits and pending court rulings that they can’t really do anything. The courts opened this door but the process is ongoing and no one knows what and how they’re legally allowed to do to regulate it at this point. It won’t always be like this, it’s just what we’re stuck with until the legal process plays out.
I agree with all of that. At some point the coaches, AD's and admins will have had enough of it, and it will be rectified. Until then we are going to have this mess. No kid playing a game should be getting paid millions of dollars and effectively given the power to hold a university hostage if he/she doesn't get their way. What the hell are we trying to teach our younger generation? That greed and "getting yours" is the only way to be successful in America?

It's lunacy!

With that said I don't blame them for taking advantage of it. I blame the adults in the room.

Reactions: nostromo78
I can't imagine this taking place if it was just a private business.

I suspect the UNLV NIL collective is at fault here.

could be wrong.

....if a player gets hurt and cannot contribute the way everyone had hoped, where do you sit on cancelling his NIL deal?

Reason I ask is, I just saw a second Xpost claiming this had something to do with his NIL value increasing, so he wanted more $$$. I have NO idea if true, just wondering where everyone sits on this because those of you who are Ok with him quitting, would you be OK with NIL quitting on players if they don't play for whatever reason?

I would not be...just wondering what the temperature in the room is on that

43% completion percentage and 200 yds/game over 3 games.

I hope the school that tampered to help him with his decision goes in a different direction at QB and leaves him hanging.

Reactions: Dylman and jteten
It all levels out when you put it in real-world perspectives and step away from the romanticizing of collegiate sports of yester-year.

It’s a business - it has all changed.
I use that word a lot about college sports, we do romanticize it. Just look at the comments we see

"I would have DIED to play for NU" and "I would have been thrilled to walk-on and pay my own way just for a chance to get on the field" and so on, which is great, it is what makes us great fans.

But for players it is different and now that they can make "legal" money, it is very different.

Think how many players were clearly hating their situation for all those years and basically did not transfer because you really couldn't without facing a strict penalty.

....if a player gets hurt and cannot contribute the way everyone had hoped, where do you sit on cancelling his NIL deal?

Reason I ask is, I just saw a second Xpost claiming this had something to do with his NIL value increasing, so he wanted more $$$. I have NO idea if true, just wondering where everyone sits on this because those of you who are Ok with him quitting, would you be OK with NIL quitting on players if they don't play for whatever reason?

If he signed something that said "Hey, if you get hurt, we are not paying you" then so be it.

Dude is gambling on himself at that point and I respect that.

Just like my job now...if I can't keep doing it, they are not going to keep me around.

Reactions: BleedRed78
If he signed something that said "Hey, if you get hurt, we are not paying you" then so be it.

Dude is gambling on himself at that point and I respect that.

Just like my job now...if I can't keep doing it, they are not going to keep me around.

...but these are not pay to play deals, so that cannot possibly be written that way

this is basically what happens in the NFL to the vast majority of guys who don't have guarantees in their contracts

get hurt, get cut, no more $

I don't like it, but it should be up to a players' union to collectively bargain with the CFP or whatever entity represents college football

...but these are not pay to play deals, so that cannot possibly be written that way
Then the player is getting ****ed, which is why this QB is going to try and get more for himself.

Clearly it is pay for play, but like you said, it can't be written that way, but everyone knows what it is.

This is not VB where a hot girl that doesn't play can still make millions, or college gymnastics. Where the girl from LSU and the even hotter one from UGA can basically just making thousands of dollars by posting a picture of themselves that old men gawk at (I guess, I don't know for sure, I don't even know who those girls are)

Then the player is getting ****ed, which is why this QB is going to try and get more for himself.

Clearly it is pay for play, but like you said, it can't be written that way, but everyone knows what it is.

This is not VB where a hot girl that doesn't play can still make millions, or college gymnastics. Where the girl from LSU and the even hotter one from UGA can basically just making thousands of dollars by posting a picture of themselves that old men gawk at (I guess, I don't know for sure, I don't even know who those girls are)

I have no idea who Harper and Dune are either, at all.

• Haha
Reactions: BTF69
This is how you disagree with people...no mud slinging, nobody calling anyone a fvcktard, no over the top dramatics what-so-ever, just civil and subtle jobs where you insinuate the person you disagree with is an idiot, but don't actually say it :)

This is how you disagree with people...no mud slinging, nobody calling anyone a fvcktard, no over the top dramatics what-so-ever, just civil and subtle jobs where you insinuate the person you disagree with is an idiot, but don't actually say it :)
I believe they refer to this as the "Honeymoon Stage" of marriage.

Little does the guy know that the woman is making notes of EVERYTHING and contacting lawyers.

This would be different from my opinion above. Would he be able to leave immediately and start playing this season like our TE from LSU?

If not, I’m not sure why he would quit if he can’t transfer until next year. I thought the article said that he was promised x and after repeated attempts to have x it became obvious to him that they weren’t going to pay it.
You can’t transfer anywhere in the middle of the season. He didn’t quit the team McMurphys tweet said he will redshirt.

Awkward position for the kid. Feel bad for my UNLV friends, finally have a football team worth a damn then their original starter gets poached by USC. Now the new starter gets failed by empty promises and has to make a choice of play or sit out to get paid some of the money owed. Sucky situation all around.

I don't blame Sluka for bouncing. If I was promised $100k (I'd get it in writing first before committing but that's beside the point), I can't say I blame him for leaving and trying to cash in. He's unlikely to make the NFL so this may be his only shot at cashing in on NIL. Just sucks.

This would be different from my opinion above. Would he be able to leave immediately and start playing this season like our TE from LSU?

If not, I’m not sure why he would quit if he can’t transfer until next year. I thought the article said that he was promised x and after repeated attempts to have x it became obvious to him that they weren’t going to pay it.
My guess is that he quit now to preserve his redshirt, having not played in 4 games.

I back this kid if that is what happened. I don’t know what promises were made but it is more likely than not that they said X dollars and didn’t come through.
A guy like this needs to make this money in CFB, he will never make the NFL so why miss out?
I see grown ass men in here like, aw…. Dudes a quitter etc but they would do the same thing.
Plus , it’s UNLV so who really cares there?

But the moral is, get the money first before making the move.

I just don't get the stance that what this man (not a kid) is doing is sleazy or lacking in integrity. Does your Dad believe in making an agreement and standing behind it? If UNLV lied to this man, they don't deserve his work. Stop thinking of college football as a fun game for kids. It's not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT