ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Gates will declare

Big mistake needs another year to prove himself...

At times we all have to live with decisions we make, some work out some don't.

VV was a good football player.

VV was underrated in my opinion. Would have been a stud with better coaching. Nonetheless, VV held his own while at NU.

Frost will be Gates' 3rd head coach, my guess is that he just wants to move on to something different. Have faith in our young guys to step in and do better.

Any kid that has a chance to get paid playing ANY sport, does not owe a damn thing to a bitter fanbase.

Goes both ways. The "bitter fanbase" pays money to go to the stadium, donates money to the school, helps provide the young athlete a platform for him to display his skills.

The "bitter fanbase" has a strong voice on what is being said. Without fans, these athletes/professionals would not get paid and would be forced to make a living like the rest of us (not that there's anything wrong with that).

He may have the body for NFL football - but he mostly sucked when he played. I predict free agent, practice squad for 1 or 2 seasons then move on to something else. Which....would probably be true if he stayed a year. So if his dream is the NFL...go for it. Maybe money will motivate him to actually try harder.

Goes both ways. The "bitter fanbase" pays money to go to the stadium, donates money to the school, helps provide the young athlete a platform for him to display his skills.

The "bitter fanbase" has a strong voice on what is being said. Without fans, these athletes/professionals would not get paid and would be forced to make a living like the rest of us (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Exactly, goes both ways.

Reactions: CatColumbia

Ahh... so since you buy a ticket and gear, you get a say in a kids future.
My bad.

Personally I feel bad about this decision. I always had high hopes for gates and was really excited to see what Austin could teach him. Now we’ll never know and we will miss his experience.

Reactions: oldjar07
I think he projects as a guard in the NFL. Too bad our OT recruiting and line development has sucked so bad over the last few years that he has had to play out of position the last couple years. He was at least serviceable at RT, but was killed at LT. Hope he gets drafted and has a nice long career.

Depends. In his case, might not have seen the field, so why not?
Look at it this way, he is probably looking out for his best interests as he has gotten hurt and has missed a good chunk of playing time over the better part of the last 2 years. If he gets hurt again this year chances are very slim that he would even get a tryout with an NFL team let alone being drafted and that is probably what's going through his mind. His draft stock right now is probably pretty good, but he gets hurt this year not so much. When healthy which he was not most of the time, he was by far our best OLineman

Look at it this way, he is probably looking out for his best interests as he has gotten hurt and has missed a good chunk of playing time over the better part of the last 2 years. If he gets hurt again this year chances are very slim that he would even get a tryout with an NFL team let alone being drafted and that is probably what's going through his mind. His draft stock right now is probably pretty good, but he gets hurt this year not so much. When healthy which he was not most of the time, he was by far our best OLineman

I'm all for it. Attrition. The good kind.

I hope he gets drafted and has a solid career. Go get that money!
He IS a talented guy who has played out of position for 3 years because of Pelini's crappy recruiting of O linemen. He's a guard at the next level and for a guard he has great tools. I expect him to be on a roster even if he doesn't get drafted. For heaven's sake, Jeremiah Sirles plays a ton for the Vikings.

Well, he needs to think of it like this. Remember what that DE from Tennessee did to you in the bowl?? In the NFL that guy is average.
He isn't going to have to try to block people on the edge anymore. He'll be a guard but what you say is true. I suspect he won't be trying to do it on one leg if he makes a roster. He could hardly walk in that bowl game let alone block. Another great decision by a former O line coach.

I guess I missed it. Where is it saying that he's declared for the draft?

If and when he makes the announcement...I am pretty sure the NFL GM’s will not be rushing to change their draft boards.

He isn't going to have to try to block people on the edge anymore. He'll be a guard but what you say is true. I suspect he won't be trying to do it on one leg if he makes a roster. He could hardly walk in that bowl game let alone block. Another great decision by a former O line coach.

Agree with what you’re saying but do you think there was a better option? We don’t have a legit left tackle. Jami’s maybe??? Then we have no right tackle.

Agree with what you’re saying but do you think there was a better option? We don’t have a legit left tackle. Jami’s maybe??? Then we have no right tackle.
Cupboard looks a little bare. Conrad and Farniok have played tackle. Jaimes moves to LT. can Gaylord get on the field?

Reactions: dinglefritz
Best of luck to him going forward. I thought he had talent when he was a freshman but he never really seemed to improve. Whether that's from coaching or a guy peaking at his talent is probably up for debate. I just hope we finally have an offensive line coach that actually develops his players.

Reactions: Husker-NJ
Was really hoping to see him develop under someone other than Cav.

Best of luck to him, hope it works out.

Nope. He was the most talented O linemen at that point of his career that we had. Jameis will probably be the left tackle I would guess. He's the most athletic guy we have I think but Frost will figure it out. We've got some guys who Frost can work with. IF this comes to fruition it should give some guys down the chart a little more juice to work in the off season I hope.

Cupboard looks a little bare. Conrad and Farniok have played tackle. Jaimes moves to LT. can Gaylord get on the field?

Who knows? Frost's offense demands an entirely different skill set. Gonna take time to get those OL guys.

Hope he doesn't go to the combine. His max out of 8 reps of 225 on the bench will be new combine record for a lineman

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT