ADVERTISEMENT

NFL vs NBA on Xmas

Happy Tears Crying GIF by Norwalk Brew House

I enjoy watching a little NBA, but only in the playoffs, and rarely a whole game. Football is the greatest spectator sport in the world.
This. Love the NFL. The NBA is still great. But the NBA has watered down the product in the regular season by trying to have too many games to maximize profits. 82-game regular seasons are a ridiculous grind on the players. Even so, NBA playoffs are a lot of fun.

This isn't really news. The most watched NBA game in history was Jordans last game with the bulls in the 98 finals that got about 36 million viewers. That was with the most popular basketball player of all time clinching his 6th championship. Your average NFL playoff game averages around that year to year. Super bowls obviously get triple that. Football has always just been far more popular than basketball in America. Even in college you see dinky bowl games getting higher ratings than Blueblood vs Blueblood college basketball games

This isn't really news. The most watched NBA game in history was Jordans last game with the bulls in the 98 finals that got about 36 million viewers. That was with the most popular basketball player of all time clinching his 6th championship. Your average NFL playoff game averages around that year to year. Super bowls obviously get triple that. Football has always just been far more popular than basketball in America. Even in college you see dinky bowl games getting higher ratings than Blueblood vs Blueblood college basketball games
Last year, the NBA passed the NFL in the 18-34 demographic. They are doing a lot more on social media and with streaming and have a bigger world wide audience.

No doubt that the NFL viewership swamps everything on television by a mile. I think something like 75 of the top 100 shows last year were NFL games. But, it will be interesting to see where the NBA media rights deal goes. It could be in the ballpark of 75% of the NFL in annual revenue with better growth potential worldwide.

Reactions: TheHuskerFreak
Wow. Shocking statistics here. The NFL is more popular than the NBA. Who knew? Apparently not social media.

In all seriousness, fantasy football and gambling were game changers for the NFL. I started gambling small amounts on players and now find myself watching random games that I never cared about before.

NFL is definitely king, but the NBA is pretty decent product right now. More versatile talent than ever. This is also pretty funny considering the absurd amount of people that soapboxed about the NFL dying because of kneeling and such.

NFL is definitely king, but the NBA is pretty decent product right now. More versatile talent than ever. This is also pretty funny considering the absurd amount of people that soapboxed about the NFL dying because of kneeling and such.
Was viewership not down when all that blm crap was going on? Looks like the fans won out..

Was viewership not down when all that blm crap was going on? Looks like the fans won out..
Fair argument, but something similar will rise again.

The narrative was that folks would ‘never’ watch it again. I don’t want to argue this because I have zero conviction in the discussion. Championing of the viewership numbers just made me think of it….and how full of shit people are with their declarations in times of anger.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch

The narrative was that folks would ‘never’ watch it again. I don’t want to argue this because I have zero conviction in the discussion. Championing of the viewership numbers just made me think of it….and how full of shit people are with their declarations in times of anger.
Nah.. I think it more shows how forgiving men are.. unlike women we have a hard time keeping grudges. Bud light will eventually make a comeback as long as they keep up with “frat” commercials with nfl/ufc

No it’s not…. It’s better for the world to hear actual thought instead of constant propaganda
Here we go again. The stuff I like is thoughtful and accurate while the stuff I don't like is propaganda. The Liberal extremists and far right Republicans. The Libtards and the Retards.

The last Joe Rogan clip I agreed to watch that had him bashing Biden for saying that we needed more airports during the Revolutionary War. Rogan said that quote proved that Biden was mentally unfit. Then later, it after it was pointed out that it was Trump who said we needed more airports back in the 1770's. Rogan said "Oh, he f'ed up" and moved on... The propaganda goes both ways.

Let's get back to talking football.

Last edited:

I do chuckle every time I talk NFL with one of those "I'm done with the NFL" people. People are so dramatic.

Reactions: jteten
Here we go again. I stuff I like is thoughtful and accurate while the stuff I don't like is propaganda. The Liberal extremists and far right Republicans. The Libtards and the Retards.

The last Joe Rogan clip I agreed to watch that had him bashing Biden for saying that we needed more airports during the Revolutionary War. Rogan said that quote proved that Biden was mentally unfit. Then later, it after it was pointed out that it was Trump who said we needed more airports back in the 1770's. Rogan said "Oh, he f'ed up" and moved on... The propaganda goes both ways.

Did that actually happen? Absolutely hilarious if true. What a country!

Reactions: ATX Husker
Here we go again. The stuff I like is thoughtful and accurate while the stuff I don't like is propaganda. The Liberal extremists and far right Republicans. The Libtards and the Retards.

Nope. Good try Dean. I like hearing actual thoughts and not censoring anything no matter the side. I agree on talking football but don’t try to put any words in my mouth.

Nope. Good try Dean. I like hearing actual thoughts and not censoring anything no matter the side. I agree on talking football but don’t try to put any words in my mouth.
That's fine. I shouldn't assume you to be something that you are not. What shows do you listen to that actually gives you both sides? That's pretty rare these days.

That's fine. I shouldn't assume you to be something that you are not. What shows do you listen to that actually gives you both sides? That's pretty rare these days.
There is literally no such thing as an unbiased source, and there never has been. It doesnt mean you cant learn thing from sources.

Walter cronkite hahaha ffs people thought he was unbiased. Dolts.

Rogan is probably the most unbiased you’ll find.. a Dem that isn’t afraid to disagree with some of their decisions

This. Love the NFL. The NBA is still great. But the NBA has watered down the product in the regular season by trying to have too many games to maximize profits. 82-game regular seasons are a ridiculous grind on the players. Even so, NBA playoffs are a lot of fun.
I fashion myself to be an NBA fan, but "Today's NBA" is boring. Scoring is up (way up) over the past 10 years or so. Some say that today's players are far better than previous generations, not sure on that one, because everything is about offense. Things are so out of whack that half of the guards in the league could put up 30 points if they got enough of an opportunity.
  • As Greg Popovich said, the big man has been taken out of the game. Now called "bigs" and "rim runners", they just take set ball screens and take the ball out. Some are also "stretch fives" who stand outside and shoot from 25'. It used to be that guys who stood around outside were called soft and got their ass kicked in the low post.
  • All the NBA is these days is a H-O-R-S-E contest. Long range jump shots and complicated layups ("OK, two dribbles, jump off left foot, left hand off the glass").
  • There is no pivot foot anymore. Players can freely reposition their feet as they wish. This adds at least 10% to a players FG%.
  • Touch a guy while driving to the hoop and it's a foul. Three defenders in your way? No problem! Go ahead and add a step or two while you are at it. Complements of the NBA!

There is literally no such thing as an unbiased source, and there never has been. It doesnt mean you cant learn thing from sources.

Walter cronkite hahaha ffs people thought he was unbiased. Dolts.
And there are some sources that are more biased than others. The problem these days are people are doing too much "learning" from biased sources. And in extreme cases, believing made up sh*t. The issue I have is with people who have an undying belief that media bias is only one sided! It's like their political side is apparently too stupid to think about using the same tactics that the other side does.

There still are news sources that still have credibility. Well, unless you listen to a biased source which will tell you that the credibile news sources are biased if they report on something they don't want people to hear.

Last edited:
Rogan is probably the most unbiased you’ll find.. a Dem that isn’t afraid to disagree with some of their decisions
Maybe I should give him a chance. But he sure seems like he's pandering to a certain audience with that airports in the 1700's commentary.

Maybe I should give him a chance. But he sure seems like he's pandering to a certain audience with that airports in the 1700's commentary.
He can take some extreme positions. For me it's his guest list that will get me to download or not. 3 hour podcasts are a commitment. Politically I think he's been consistent in saying neither major candidate are a good selection

My thoughts on the current NBA product.
Officiating. awful.
Fundamentals. Awful
Hustle. Non-existent
It’s all about the star players going 1 on 1

I’ve tried watching but I’ll take the college game and almost anything over the NBA

I see LeBitch is whining again after not getting a call....ironic, because I never seen him mind when a ref swallows his whistle after he travels, or a ticky tack foul on a defensive player who had the gall to guard him tough instead of laying down and letting him do whatever he wanted.

If the NBA title was awarded to the biggest whiny bitch, LeBitch would have over 20 of them.

I fashion myself to be an NBA fan, but "Today's NBA" is boring. Scoring is up (way up) over the past 10 years or so. Some say that today's players are far better than previous generations, not sure on that one, because everything is about offense. Things are so out of whack that half of the guards in the league could put up 30 points if they got enough of an opportunity.
  • As Greg Popovich said, the big man has been taken out of the game. Now called "bigs" and "rim runners", they just take set ball screens and take the ball out. Some are also "stretch fives" who stand outside and shoot from 25'. It used to be that guys who stood around outside were called soft and got their ass kicked in the low post.
  • All the NBA is these days is a H-O-R-S-E contest. Long range jump shots and complicated layups ("OK, two dribbles, jump off left foot, left hand off the glass").
  • There is no pivot foot anymore. Players can freely reposition their feet as they wish. This adds at least 10% to a players FG%.
  • Touch a guy while driving to the hoop and it's a foul. Three defenders in your way? No problem! Go ahead and add a step or two while you are at it. Complements of the NBA!
Thanks.
The product sucks.
Nothing worse than seeing an offensive player lean orjump into a defender and then get rewarded with free throws. Defenders have the right to be there. Sad this is starting to filter into the college game.

Reactions: Dean Pope
And there are some sources that are more biased than others. The problem these days are people are doing too much "learning" from biased sources. And in extreme cases, believing made up sh*t. The issue I have is with people who have an undying belief that media bias is only one sided! It's like their political side is apparently too stupid to think about using the same tactics that the other side does.

There still are news sources that still have credibility. Well, unless you listen to a biased source which will tell you that the credibile news sources are biased if they report on something they don't want people to hear.
Credible.
Your post has a hint of irony in it.

I think one of the best sources gives full transcripts of the discussions or speeches they quote in their articles.

A lot of sources dont just straight lie, but they use lies of omission. Its what they leave out that matters.

Reactions: Dean Pope
Credible.
Your post has a hint of irony in it.

I think one of the best sources gives full transcripts of the discussions or speeches they quote in their articles.

A lot of sources dont just straight lie, but they use lies of omission. Its what they leave out that matters.
Well said.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
The NBA has never been better than it is today. Amazing athleticism and skill. That being said I would rather watch Creighton and Nebraska games due to regional rooting interests. It's clearly a poorer product but geography drives rooting interests. I will definitely check in late May and watch the final few rounds

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT