ADVERTISEMENT

Next Head Coach

I think the University is all about money now, not so much wins, and in this climate, I think Mickey Joseph would at least get an interview.

Trev is pulling the strings, and not sure how much pressure he is under to win.

If you were feeling big pressure to win, then by all means, open the checkbook and bring Urban Meyer in.

I am not sure Trev does something like this though.

Trev does not strike me as someone who will bring in a guy who has a bigger persona and star power than himself. I could be wrong, but I think Trev likes to be in control.

Who in world could you hire that would bring the same amount of joy and hype as the Frost hire did? The vast majority of fans wanted Frost as HC going back 10 years or more. Nebraska guy, Offensive genius, he was destined to lead the program back to greatness.

Who's the next great thing?
One thing that I have learned over the years with college football head coaching hires is two fold: 1) hiring a G5 head coach rarely pans out. 2) Hiring a big name coach that generates hype is overrated. There's very few proven HC's in today's college football world that have won a national title, let alone a conference title. Day, Saban, Dabo....those guys aren't coming.

One thing that I have learned over the years with college football head coaching hires is two fold: 1) hiring a G5 head coach rarely pans out. 2) Hiring a big name coach that generates hype is overrated. There's very few proven HC's in today's college football world that have won a national title, let alone a conference title. Day, Saban, Dabo....those guys aren't coming.
Your forgetting !

BC-B5712.jpg

Matt Campbell. Could’ve had him last year.
With the Big 12 becoming a shell of its former self, there should be less reason Campbell would want to stay in the league, however he just signed a contract extension in 2021 that goes through 2028, so I am not sure what kind of buyout ISU would need if Campbell was interested in leaving. I also don't see Campbell leaving ISU for Nebraska, I think he would more likely leave ISU for an NFL Head coaching job.

Last edited:
Reactions: SIXERS24
If he has a decent year at Illinois, you should go after Bielema. I’m serious.
I think he'd get Nebraska back to or close to Pelini era success without the contentious relationship with media/fans at times. I think he'd consider it too. Yeah, he's from Illinois. But he played and coached at Iowa. Coached at Wisconsin. Left Barry Alvarez for the SEC. He ain't loyal. If he thinks he could win at Nebraska because of the better recruiting, he might do it.

Dan Mullen, Guys Malzahn, Chip Kelly, Mike Leach, Mark Mangino, Mark Dantonio, Gary Patterson, Jim Tressel, Bobby Petrino, there are many guys that may want one more shot at reclamation . Depends on if you care about some shady past. If you want to just ignore why these guys were forced to step aside.
Dan Mullen - flopped out at Florida, a state rich with football talent. Don't think he can bring us back.

Gus Malzahn - would be a great hire but not sure he would want to leave UCF for a dumpster fire.

Chip Kelly - another great hire but why would he want to leave his job at UCLA for a dumpster fire.

Mike Leach - mediocre record

Mark Dantonio - a solid hire. Couldn't hurt to give him a call and see if he is interested.

Gary Patterson - flopped out in his last couple years at TCU

Jim Tressel - definitely a possibility.

Bobby Petrino - good solid coach. Should reach out and see if he is interested.

Not sexy, but I would take a long look at Chris Klieman. Won on the lower level, has Kansas State going in the right direction.

I like the offensive system he runs, and will bring some toughness to the trenches, and defense.

I think he'd get Nebraska back to or close to Pelini era success without the contentious relationship with media/fans at times. I think he'd consider it too. Yeah, he's from Illinois. But he played and coached at Iowa. Coached at Wisconsin. Left Barry Alvarez for the SEC. He ain't loyal. If he thinks he could win at Nebraska because of the better recruiting, he might do it.
He might not be a flashy hire, but I think if you can get a guy who’s been successful in the Big Ten West at multiple stops, you take him. This is of course assuming Illinois continues to make progress this season.

He might not be a flashy hire, but I think if you can get a guy who’s been successful in the Big Ten West at multiple stops, you take him. This is of course assuming Illinois continues to make progress this season.
I have never like Bielema as a person but he would be an upgrade by a mile. NU should just open the wallet and go for the biggest hire possible. No BS about ties to NU past or worrying about past minor personal indiscretions which 90% of the population have committed.

Reactions: BleedRed78
At this point I think you give Mickey a shot to be “black Dabo”. He would sell out recruiting, he’s a Nebraska guy, he’s a leader, he brings energy and swag, it’s the perfect no-risk time to give him an audition. If he gets us 6 wins with a terrible D and a butt ass O line…. Let’s go

At this point I think you give Mickey a shot to be “black Dabo”. He would sell out recruiting, he’s a Nebraska guy, he’s a leader, he brings energy and swag, it’s the perfect no-risk time to give him an audition. If he gets us 6 wins with a terrible D and a butt ass O line…. Let’s go
With the exception of the "black Dabo" comparison you repeated exactly what people were saying 6 years ago about hiring Scott Frost. Wash - Rinse - Repeat.

Enough with the has been hacks. We need strong leadership. It should be Mickeys to lose and they should give him a trial run as interim starting today.

I’m sure brother Vance would join as D-Cord
Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley are outliers. Most young first timers need to learn under big time winners like Meyer, or Stoops. Or they need every advantage in the world given to them like Dabo had at Clemson. A weak conference, great financial support, great recruiting grounds. Marcus Freeman at Notre Dame looks good right now, but he has both of those things . You think the situation at Nebraska right now offers either?

Nebraska is in the second toughest league, it's about to get worse after the current division setup is eliminated. You have over a decade of bad leadership. The brand is big, great financial support, but not to 17 year olds. A no name coach isn't gonna be able to beat out USC, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, potentially Oregon now for these kids. You either need to committ to a five year hard nose stance where losing and recruiting will suffer while building up a culture, or you need a name. Heck it's been over a decade now. Maybe you do just accept the five years of building, but you are currently in year four with Frost potentially doing that and this is the prevailing conversation. There isn't enough patience for that anymore.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Coach O has a title and is looking for work.

Re: Mickey as HC, I would rather bring in a more proven HC winner and try to get Mickey to stay as OC. From WR coach to HC in B1G may be too big a gamble.
Any interim HC this year would likely be Whipple, given his experience.

Dan Mullen - flopped out at Florida, a state rich with football talent. Don't think he can bring us back.

Gus Malzahn - would be a great hire but not sure he would want to leave UCF for a dumpster fire.

Chip Kelly - another great hire but why would he want to leave his job at UCLA for a dumpster fire.

Mike Leach - mediocre record

Mark Dantonio - a solid hire. Couldn't hurt to give him a call and see if he is interested.

Gary Patterson - flopped out in his last couple years at TCU

Jim Tressel - definitely a possibility.

Bobby Petrino - good solid coach. Should reach out and see if he is interested.
Why so many retreads and dinosaurs?

With the Big 12 becoming a shell of its former self, there should be less reason Campbell would want to stay in the league, however he just signed a contract extension in 2021 that goes through 2028, so I am not sure what kind of buyout ISU would need if Campbell was interested in leaving. I also don't see Campbell leaving ISU for Nebraska, I think he would more likely leave ISU for an NFL Head coaching job.

I think Campbell would consider the Nebraska job, especially if he has a .500 or worse season this year. ISU is picked to finish in the bottom half of the conference this year. If he keeps losing to Iowa and doesn't win a conference championship soon, the ISU fans will start to get restless like they did with McCarney.

So I think Campbell would be foolish not to consider a big offer from a Big 10 program, when the Big 12 is imploding and his hype is starting to dwindle.

Reactions: ShaggynScooby
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT