ADVERTISEMENT

New QB in Portal

Have you ever played with a QB that has the it factor? You play harder for that guy, you play better for that guy, not wanting to let him down. You know that when your back is against the wall, he can pull the rabbit out of the hat and save the game. This is what I am talking about. True leadership of men.

Adrian, is a nice guy and all that, but he didn't lose because of his physical deficiencies, he isn't a natural leader and didn't inspire confidence in the players around him, and many played worse than they otherwise would have, leading to the results we have seen the past four years.

There are coaches that look for QB's with winning records only. I fall under that camp. I can only assume their reasoning is similar to mine.

I would have never gone after Tanner Lee for that very reason.

So yet again. Mahomes was bad, a loser at Tech but now a Super Bowl Champion and MVP because he changed who he is and became a leader of men? And QB’s that suck at actually playing QB, but win games like Mertz and Petras do that by inspiring the defense, to pull a rabbit it out of a hat and over come their poor play?

Yep, that makes sense.

Have you ever played with a QB that has the it factor? You play harder for that guy, you play better for that guy, not wanting to let him down. You know that when your back is against the wall, he can pull the rabbit out of the hat and save the game. This is what I am talking about. True leadership of men.

Adrian, is a nice guy and all that, but he didn't lose because of his physical deficiencies, he isn't a natural leader and didn't inspire confidence in the players around him, and many played worse than they otherwise would have, leading to the results we have seen the past four years.

There are coaches that look for QB's with winning records only. I fall under that camp. I can only assume their reasoning is similar to mine.

I would have never gone after Tanner Lee for that very reason.
The kid hasn't lost for four years like AM, comparing the 2 is unfair.

The kid hasn't lost for four years like AM, comparing the 2 is unfair.
possibly true.. I just made some questions about bringing in another losing QB and everyone went apeshit about it.

And it doesn't take 4 years of losing to identify the issue with a kid. It didn't take me 4 years to see it with AM.

possibly true.. I just made some questions about bringing in another losing QB and everyone went apeshit about it.

And it doesn't take 4 years of losing to identify the issue with a kid. It didn't take me 4 years to see it with AM.
We're hopefully bringing in a QB who has started multiple games and put up some pretty damned good numbers. It isn't his fault that Texas's defense sucked. Landing a guy with that many starts and that much experience is a huge bonus. In Whipple I trust.

Last edited:
So yet again. Mahomes was bad, a loser at Tech but now a Super Bowl Champion and MVP because he changed who he is and became a leader of men? And QB’s that suck at actually playing QB, but win games like Mertz and Petras do that by inspiring the defense, to pull a rabbit it out of a hat and over come their poor play?

Yep, that makes sense.
I said nothing about those guys.. I don't watch them, so I really have no idea. If I did, I would give you some insight on it.

You are trying to use situations or stats to prove your point.

I go off a different model, intangibles, or go by feel as Whipple said it.

It's actually called intuition. The best word I can come up with for it.

I think he's going to be a good OC if he truly gets to control the offense.

Yes. Heard some rumblings about NU here, but who knows? Might just be rumors. Also heard Max Duggan has not attended offseason workouts at TCU and wants to be back in this area of the country? That could mean ISU though, too.

Edit: I guess Max Duggan had foot surgery, so the whole skipping offseason workouts deal may be just because of that and everything else is just bs noise.

Last edited:
do we just need a good game manager?
eliminate mistakes and get more efficient in the red zone.
it seems like we'll look a gifthorse in the mouth, and pass for the thoroughbred, and still get hosed in the end.

do we just need a good game manager?
eliminate mistakes and get more efficient in the red zone.
it seems like we'll look a gifthorse in the mouth, and pass for the thoroughbred, and still get hosed in the end.
IMO, Bo AND Scott BOTH were too hung up on creating "explosive plays". Yeah those are great but if you can't run the ball when you need to, avoid turnovers. or score TDs, explosive plays don't do you much good. Smart accurate QB play from a reasonably athletic guy who takes care of the football can go a long way to winning games.

IMO, Bo AND Scott BOTH were too hung up on creating "explosive plays". Yeah those are great but if you can't run the ball when you need to, avoid turnovers. or score TDs, explosive plays don't do you much good. Smart accurate QB play from a reasonably athletic guy who takes care of the football can go a long way to winning games.
Completely agree with this. Football isn’t rocket science. Frost fancies himself as too smart by half. Bo’s coordinators were similar.

Really hope Whipple simplifies things on offense (not schematically, just common sensibly) especially in the red zone.

Find what works & keep hammering it.

Thompson has a .500 record as a starter.

He’s neither a winner nor a loser (yet). If you’re the starting quarterback at Texas, you’re one of the 15 most scrutinized players in the country. Kid lit it up on a bigger stage than we’ve set foot on in a decade while playing for an even bigger egomaniac than Frost.

The offensive line Casey played behind was absolute garbage. They blew in pass pro and run blocking. RB Bijan Robinson had to create most of his rushing yards on his own and, other than WR Xavier Worthy (Jordan Whittington was injured half the year), he was the only outside threat.

This latest recruiting class for UT shows the current coaches finally recognize the immediate need for OL improvement. Herman and Herb Hand couldn't recruit a top shelf OL to Austin at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT