ADVERTISEMENT

New Name Emerging???

My wife likes him. Hmmmmmm....

But does Tom's Wife?
thinking_zpsfe027b7a.png

He's a B1G guy. Lot of experience with northern schools and talent. Probably won't be inclined to run to Arky just cause its the SEC. He can help own this division, or play second fiddle to Saban.

Looks like he improved Notre Dame's defense when he came there and got better each year... but looking at the final scores of the opponents though, they seemed to put up a decent amount of points.

Now I have no idea how the games went as I only looked at the scores, but I was hoping to see scores between 3 and 17 for most of the opponents. :(

Reading about his defense makes it sound great though, so who knows. I will support whomever Riley hires, as long as they can get our players to produce on the field and keep the other teams from scoring too many points.

If he is the best available, get him. If not, find the best available.

I like his list of recruits much better than Sawvel's list.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
According to Callahan he is in town interviewing. If thats true the entire Riley already has his guy hired doesnt sound accurate. Yes, he could already have him hired before showing up but then why say "interview"?

Tyler Shelvin would be an absolute shoe in for Nose Guard if he actually is considering us. As far as our current roster I would think Stoltenburg would be the guy for it.

Also it looks like Thomas played nose guard in high school in a 3-4 defense

Reactions: siebo454
Is this the best we can do?

Notre Dames defenses have looked terrible of late.

According to Callahan he is in town interviewing. If thats true the entire Riley already has his guy hired doesnt sound accurate. Yes, he could already have him hired before showing up but then why say "interview"?

I'm pretty sure the way coaching positions work is that nobody will 'talk' until the previous guy is let go. Their agents may have a conversation, but an actual interview won't happen until the other guy is let go.

State/NU hiring law...

That was just speculation obviously. On a tight timeline like this, you have some one at the fore, or you have someone in the bag.

I don't think he went into this blind.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I'm pretty sure the way coaching positions work is that nobody will 'talk' until the previous guy is let go. Their agents may have a conversation, but an actual interview won't happen until the other guy is let go.

You mean Diaco? He was fired from the UConn job very recently.

You mean Diaco? He was fired from the UConn job very recently.

No, I mean Banker. Diaco 'shouldnt' talk to Nebraska about a DC position when they currently have a DC. Both parties are 'supposed' to wait until the position is open before they start interviewing.

Is this the best we can do?

Notre Dames defenses have looked terrible of late.

Who are you expecting to show up here? Jesus?

"Three seasons later, Diaco is the architect behind the nation's #1 ranked defense and #1 ranked team. He is a main reason Notre Dame will play Alabama for a national championship on January 7th.

"Bob I think is the whole package," explains Notre Dame Secondary coach Bobby Elliott.

Elliott coached Diaco when Diaco played at Iowa. Diaco then served under Elliot as a graduate assistant with the Hawkeyes. This year, Diaco brought Elliott to Notre Dame to help finish the masterpiece of the Irish defense.

"There are some defensive coordinators that are great with X's and O's, maybe some are great teachers-- Bob is certainly both of those things," Elliott says. "He goes well beyond all of that. He's a great motivator. He does a lot of team building."

"It would be hard pressed for me to imagine there is a better defensive coordinator today than Bob Diaco."

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/...-best-assistant-football-coach-184205531.html

""A school, a university with the magnitude and following that we have with the expectation of national championship and national dominance---to take over the program when Coach Kelly took it over--as quoted many times by people as almost nationally irrelevant-- to turn that back into something that is relevant is a really awesome thing," Diaco says."

""Until the objective is finished, there's only one speed and only one level of intensity," Diaco explains of his philosophy."

Should be a good cultural fit.

Schaefer posted this good read which is pretty detailed:

"Philosophically what Coach Diaco is doing is very similar to what base 3-4 coaches like Bill Bilichick and Nick Saban have been perfecting for years. Those two obviously figured out a way to make it work pretty well for them. "

"No Crease" Defense.
Reads like Bo's 2 gap scheme

Why state "Open jobs" covers Nebraska athletic coaching jobs is really silly. The job has to be posted and open for 3 days before we can announce our new coach? Talk about a law that needs a wavier!!!

Reactions: johnnyutah4ksu
Who are you expecting to show up here? Jesus?

"Three seasons later, Diaco is the architect behind the nation's #1 ranked defense and #1 ranked team. He is a main reason Notre Dame will play Alabama for a national championship on January 7th.

"Bob I think is the whole package," explains Notre Dame Secondary coach Bobby Elliott.

Elliott coached Diaco when Diaco played at Iowa. Diaco then served under Elliot as a graduate assistant with the Hawkeyes. This year, Diaco brought Elliott to Notre Dame to help finish the masterpiece of the Irish defense.

"There are some defensive coordinators that are great with X's and O's, maybe some are great teachers-- Bob is certainly both of those things," Elliott says. "He goes well beyond all of that. He's a great motivator. He does a lot of team building."

"It would be hard pressed for me to imagine there is a better defensive coordinator today than Bob Diaco."

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/...-best-assistant-football-coach-184205531.html
...never thought of Jesus as a candidate. He doesn't have prior DC experience at the collegiate level, but word has it he sure can scare the devil out of opposing offenses!

Tyler Shelvin would be an absolute shoe in for Nose Guard if he actually is considering us. As far as our current roster I would think Stoltenburg would be the guy for it.

Also it looks like Thomas played nose guard in high school in a 3-4 defense

In college, he would be a 3 Tech DT in a 4-3 or a 3-4 DE, Watts and Daniels more likely at NT

...never thought of Jesus as a candidate. He doesn't have prior DC experience at the collegiate level, but word has it he sure can scare the devil out of opposing offenses!

Also can win the press conferences and sideline demeanor awards.

The hair is a little edgy for a college coach though ;)

No, I mean Banker. Diaco 'shouldnt' talk to Nebraska about a DC position when they currently have a DC. Both parties are 'supposed' to wait until the position is open before they start interviewing.
I think Banker knew this was coming before yesterday....

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Has a coach or potential coach had this kind of press and not come to Nebraska? (Besides Houston Nutt....that was more on our idiot AD)

Has a coach or potential coach had this kind of press and not come to Nebraska? (Besides Houston Nutt....that was more on our idiot AD)

What kind of press? I think there's one Omaha World Herald article and a Sean Callahan tweet.

Honestly think Wannstedt had more press.

ADVERTISEMENT