ADVERTISEMENT

New LED lights at Stadium...

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_e23272e0-4285-5742-ab07-556c7ca94f9f.html
The NU athletic department will also be unveiling a brand new lighting system in the stadium, the first full replacement since permanent lights were originally installed in 1999.
“We added (the originals) when we did the West Stadium project, so they were coming up on 20 years old,” said John Ingram, associate athletic director for capital planning and construction. “It was a GE lighting system and they didn’t really have new parts for them anymore, plus they weren’t very efficient operationally and the light levels weren’t perfect. They were good, but they weren’t awesome.”

NU is shooting for awesome this time around.

The new lights are full LED — Ingram said NU would be among the only Power Five and NFL teams to have this technology fully installed — turn on and off instantly and can be programed for special effects.

“Stay tuned on that front,” Ingram said. “We were kind of waiting for the technology to catch up. I think Michigan State has it and we have it in the Big Ten. I think the (Atlanta) Falcons were one of the first to use it, but they’re in a dome.”

The new lights will be cooler and quieter have the potential to reduce energy consumption by as much as 70 percent compared to the old system, Ingram said.

“They’re going to light the field with more consistency from sideline to sideline and end zone to end zone,” Ingram said.

The light towers in East Stadium were moved back 12 feet and built higher than before, meaning the lights will be much further away from the fans who sit in that part of the stadium.

““Before they were straight up and the lights were right above the fans and for some of the hot, early night games there were some bug issues,” Ingram said. “To try to alleviate that problem, we … tried to get the lights further away from the fans.”
5b342816a3069.image.jpg

Not sure how they could do it from a safety perspective (and also in terms of if they malfunctioned and didn't come back on), but would be really interesting if they could integrate the stadium lights into the tunnel walk, in terms of almost blacking out the entire stadium and slowly fading the lights back up to full power

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_e23272e0-4285-5742-ab07-556c7ca94f9f.html
The NU athletic department will also be unveiling a brand new lighting system in the stadium, the first full replacement since permanent lights were originally installed in 1999.
“We added (the originals) when we did the West Stadium project, so they were coming up on 20 years old,” said John Ingram, associate athletic director for capital planning and construction. “It was a GE lighting system and they didn’t really have new parts for them anymore, plus they weren’t very efficient operationally and the light levels weren’t perfect. They were good, but they weren’t awesome.”

The new lights are full LED — Ingram said NU would be among the only Power Five and NFL teams to have this technology fully installed — turn on and off instantly and can be programed for special effects.

“Stay tuned on that front,” Ingram said. “We were kind of waiting for the technology to catch up. I think Michigan State has it and we have it in the Big Ten. I think the (Atlanta) Falcons were one of the first to use it, but they’re in a dome.”

The new lights will be cooler and quieter have the potential to reduce energy consumption by as much as 70 percent compared to the old system, Ingram said.

“They’re going to light the field with more consistency from sideline to sideline and end zone to end zone,” Ingram said.

The light towers in East Stadium were moved back 12 feet and built higher than before, meaning the lights will be much further away from the fans who sit in that part of the stadium.

““Before they were straight up and the lights were right above the fans and for some of the hot, early night games there were some bug issues,” Ingram said. “To try to alleviate that problem, we … tried to get the lights further away from the fans.”
5b342816a3069.image.jpg

Maybe HuskerVision can incoporate the new lights into a cool light show at the night football games...just like the Nebraska Volleyball Program. Winking

Reactions: Redwalla
Not sure how they could do it from a safety perspective (and also in terms of if they malfunctioned and didn't come back on), but would be really interesting if they could integrate the stadium lights into the tunnel walk, in terms of almost blacking out the entire stadium and slowly fading the lights back up to full power

I'm hoping they do something like this as well. Obviously the Akron game won't be completely dark until well after kickoff but later in the year it would be awesome if they shut the lights completely off for the start of the Tunnel Walk and light the stadium RED with the ribbon board or however they did it when Frost was hired and they had his picture up on the big screen (welcome home coach) and the stadium was completely red... man, I'm getting goosebumps just typing this.

Reactions: Nebraskakid555

Strobes!

Any word yet on if the lights are completely installed??
I believe they were installed in late May or early June. At least that's what I think the plans were because they wanted to be done by FNL.

I believe they were installed in late May or early June. At least that's what I think the plans were because they wanted to be done by FNL.
Well I went to both FNLs and the first one on the 15th, the West side lights were installed and then a week later (22nd) the East side had only 2 installed and the new lights weren't being used. I heard something about it was going to take some time to wire and program the lights? Which would make sense why it was taking some time.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Well I went to both FNLs and the first one on the 15th, the West side lights were installed and then a week later (22nd) the East side had only 2 installed and the new lights weren't being used. I heard something about it was going to take some time to wire and program the lights? Which would make sense why it was taking some time.
Gotcha. I knew the plan was to try to have them done(or mostly done)by FNL, but I never heard if they were finished. It will be cool to see what special effects they can do with them.

Reactions: c3ntral08

5b342816a3069.image.jpg
There used to be complaints about the sound system in Memorial Stadium. Has it been upgraded?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT