ADVERTISEMENT

Neon Deion to Sign Nation's #1 Overall Recruit

This is a typical midwest attitude toward things like this. Always looking at the exception to the rule and pretending like this one guy confirms the theory that top recruits are no longer going to "big name schools"

This is one guy, he isn't leading a revolution of top ranked guys going to HBCUs and skipping out on the Alabama's of the world.
yeah I think you will see more and more players not wanting to sit on the bench their whole career and leaving the ohios states...burrow, ewers, miller...this is just the start
they figure why not makes some bucks and actually play football....

yeah I think you will see more and more players not wanting to sit on the bench their whole career and leaving the ohios states...burrow, ewers, miller...this is just the start
they figure why not makes some bucks and actually play football....
Ohio St to LSU (Burrow) and Ohio St to Texas (Ewers) is not even remotely the same as Florida St to going to an FCS and HBCU school like Jackson St.

Travis Hunter signed NIL with national brands, he would have gotten the same deal(s) with Florida St. If he has to go to Jackson St to see the field then he probably doesn't need to worry about the NFL.

I don't blame the guy for making the decision he made, I am just saying that this isn't some sort of trend. If it was, Eddie George would be pulling in the top RBs to play at Tenn St.

Ohio St to LSU (Burrow) and Ohio St to Texas (Ewers) is not even remotely the same as Florida St to going to an FCS and HBCU school like Jackson St.

Travis Hunter signed NIL with national brands, he would have gotten the same deal(s) with Florida St. If he has to go to Jackson St to see the field then he probably doesn't need to worry about the NFL.

I don't blame the guy for making the decision he made, I am just saying that this isn't some sort of trend. If it was, Eddie George would be pulling in the top RBs to play at Tenn St.
with the transfer portal you will see alot more players stop pining for the ohio state type field...

they would rather make nil dollars and play...then puff out their chest and say yeah, I'm a 4th string NC...

I think it is, and has been, a trend.

Hunter is not the first #1 overall recruit to opt for cash instead of "big school" prestige. not long ago, one moved to New Zealand to do so.

as previously posted, about half the #1 overall recruits from the past 10 years made anything of themselves. Hunter is smart to hedge his bets, IMO.

with the transfer portal you will see alot more players stop pining for the ohio state type field...

they would rather make nil dollars and play...then puff out their chest and say yeah, I'm a 4th string NC...
This is a high school kid you are comparing to 2 guys who are transferring to other schools after sitting the bench for a year or two.

I would bet you that as soon as Sanders makes a move to another school, that this kid will follow him. This has nothing to do with playing time or NIL. He would be playing at Florida St and he would be making as much if not more NIL $$ at Florida St as he will be Jackson St.

Your argument has no merit. Try again.

This is a high school kid you are comparing to 2 guys who are transferring to other schools after sitting the bench for a year or two.

I would bet you that as soon as Sanders makes a move to another school, that this kid will follow him. This has nothing to do with playing time or NIL. He would be playing at Florida St and he would be making as much if not more NIL $$ at Florida St as he will be Jackson St.

Your argument has no merit. Try again.
wrong, nil has changed everything...you will see less high school recruits going to sit on a bench forever...
this is a new trend with nil, it's about money

I think it is, and has been, a trend.

Hunter is not the first #1 overall recruit to opt for cash instead of "big school" prestige. not long ago, one moved to New Zealand to do so.

as previously posted, about half the #1 overall recruits from the past 10 years made anything of themselves. Hunter is smart to hedge his bets, IMO.
What are you talking about? Who are these other top recruits that went to FCS schools?

None of the top players "hedged their bets" on signing day. I am pretty sure all of them went to Power 5 schools and not HBCUs and FCS schools. And please let me know the top high school player that went to New Zealand instead of playing FBS, P5 football.

You seem to be comparing apples and oranges. I will agree that not all top players will make it to the NFL or even have great college careers. Some of those players will take different paths after their playing days are over or will transfer after a period of time at another school. In this situation, we are talking about a high school player that is forgoing playing for FBS P5 team(s) to go play for FCS, HBCU school. That has never happened, that is why it is news on this and every other platform. So not a trend and hasn't been a trend.

wrong, nil has changed everything...you will see less high school recruits going to sit on a bench forever...
this is a new trend with nil, it's about money
You really have no idea what you are talking about. Ewers went to Ohio St for reasons that didn't include NIL money. The money he received and the contract he signed could just as easily been signed had he went to Texas. He flipped his commitment from Texas to Ohio St long before he signed his NIL deal.

Travis Hunter could have signed a deal that would be just as lucrative with Florida St or any P5 school. As I stated he signed with national companies, he didn't sign with a company from Jackson, Mississippi.

Again, if a guy like Tavis Hunter is afraid of competition at Florida St and wouldn't have played there, then he isn't as good as he thinks he is and his NIL deal at Jackson St is going to be short lived.

You really have no idea what you are talking about. Ewers went to Ohio St for reasons that didn't include NIL money. The money he received and the contract he signed could just as easily been signed had he went to Texas. He flipped his commitment from Texas to Ohio St long before he signed his NIL deal.

Travis Hunter could have signed a deal that would be just as lucrative with Florida St or any P5 school. As I stated he signed with national companies, he didn't sign with a company from Jackson, Mississippi.

Again, if a guy like Tavis Hunter is afraid of competition at Florida St and wouldn't have played there, then he isn't as good as he thinks he is and his NIL deal at Jackson St is going to be short lived.
yeah guys coming out of high school don't see the value of saying yeah I'm a national champ at bama! (who rode the pine #4 on the depth chart!) because bama was paying their uncle under the table...them days are about to be over...with NIL...hear me now, see it develop later..

What are you talking about? Who are these other top recruits that went to FCS schools?

None of the top players "hedged their bets" on signing day. I am pretty sure all of them went to Power 5 schools and not HBCUs and FCS schools. And please let me know the top high school player that went to New Zealand instead of playing FBS, P5 football.

You seem to be comparing apples and oranges. I will agree that not all top players will make it to the NFL or even have great college careers. Some of those players will take different paths after their playing days are over or will transfer after a period of time at another school. In this situation, we are talking about a high school player that is forgoing playing for FBS P5 team(s) to go play for FCS, HBCU school. That has never happened, that is why it is news on this and every other platform. So not a trend and hasn't been a trend.
The number 1 high school hoops recruit in the country chose to play pro ball in New Zealand 2 years ago instead of play for KU.

He was first. Now this. There will only be more. Looks like the start of a trend to me.

Reactions: redwine65
The number 1 high school hoops recruit in the country chose to play pro ball in New Zealand 2 years ago instead of play for KU.

He was first. Now this. There will only be more. Looks like the start of a trend to me.
So playing pro basketball in New Zealand is now equivalent to playing FCS football?

Reactions: Bugeater
So playing pro basketball in New Zealand is now equivalent to playing FCS football?
More top prospects are choosing non-traditional paths for big money today than ever before.

This simple fact is extraordinarily obvious to most.

More top prospects are choosing non-traditional paths for big money today than ever before.

This simple fact is extraordinarily obvious to most.
But the premise that Hunter went to Jackson St for money is flawed. He could have made similar NIL money at other schools, especially FBS schools.

The basketball players are just avoiding playing the required one year of college basketball. The top basketball players aren’t making careers playing overseas.

Reactions: headcard
If this helps the HBCU programs then great. He isn’t likely doing this for that reason. Is Deion coaching corners, probably some, but as a head coach unless he has a large staff he has other duties that will not allow that more full time development devoted there.

For the young man, hope he has a great career. Just shows how many players sign for the coach not the school. Here the NIL$ would be now for him pretty close either spot but toss a commercial making well known self promoter that part of future $ matters more.

Hope the young man develops in the classroom and on the field to be great in both. If this is short sighted cash and fame, the flames of self destruction very well could ignite. Worth a follow on this young man. If he is successful there and into the NFL, this will be more likely to happen again based on coaches at such schools

But the premise that Hunter went to Jackson St for money is flawed. He could have made similar NIL money at other schools, especially FBS schools.

The basketball players are just avoiding playing the required one year of college basketball. The top basketball players aren’t making careers playing overseas.
He went there for money, exposure (he will be the central figure in this season’s Coach Prime docuseries), and to play for Deion Sanders.

That exact package isn’t available anywhere else, even if similar dollars may have been.

Still waiting on why we would care??
for a guy who doesn't care, and even went so far as to start a thread lamenting his lack of care, you've sure been a captive audience

as stated, we should all care because:

1. it's blatantly obvious the foundation of college football has completely shifted, and will continue down this path at an accelerated rate
2. how we react to said shift, literally by the day, portends our future success (or lack thereof) much more than any single recruiting class ever will

as a bonus, topics like these drag fossils like you out into the cold light of day to be exposed as someone the game has passed by long ago

for a guy who doesn't care, and even went so far as to start a thread lamenting his lack of care, you've sure been a captive audience

as stated, we should all care because:

1. it's blatantly obvious the foundation of college football has completely shifted, and will continue down this path at an accelerated rate
2. how we react to said shift, literally by the day, portends our future success (or lack thereof) much more than any single recruiting class ever will

as a bonus, topics like these drag fossils like you out into the cold light of day to be exposed as someone the game has passed by long ago
Sure thing sparky. You're not even a Nebraska fan so why are you posting your gibberish on our board? Just another Herky with no life.

He went there for money, exposure (he will be the central figure in this season’s Coach Prime docuseries), and to play for Deion Sanders.

That exact package isn’t available anywhere else, even if similar dollars may have been.

I still do not understand how you think there is more money or exposure playing at Jacksonville State. And sure he get to play for "Prime", but there are other DB coaches out there that have actually put CB's in the NFL, unlike Deion Sanders.

The kid can do what he wants and I hope this works out for him, but this is odd and I can’t imagine this will start any sort of trend.

Last edited:
I still do not understand how you think there is more money or exposure playing at Jacksonville State. And sure he get to play for "Prime", but there are other DB coaches out there that have actually put CB's in the NFL, unlike Deion Sanders.

The kid can do what he wants and I hope this works out for him, but this is odd and I can’t imagine this will start any sort of trend.
it's Jackson (MS) State. home of the very first NIL deal. now home of the biggest recruiting news in decades, according to people like those who began this very site.

to my knowledge, Jackson State is the only school in the country being featured in a popular online docuseries, viewed by hundreds of thousands of people on a weekly basis.

everyone knows this kid's name today. nobody knows the freshman corner's name at (insert P5 school).

Deion has been the coach for 2 years. I'm guessing he'll send a few guys to the league soon enough. If he never pans out, he's hedged his bets and made millions anyway.

it's Jackson (MS) State. home of the very first NIL deal. now home of the biggest recruiting news in decades, according to people like those who began this very site.

to my knowledge, Jackson State is the only school in the country being featured in a popular online docuseries, viewed by hundreds of thousands of people on a weekly basis.

everyone knows this kid's name today. nobody knows the freshman corner's name at (insert P5 school).

Deion has been the coach for 2 years. I'm guessing he'll send a few guys to the league soon enough. If he never pans out, he's hedged his bets and made millions anyway.

OK. He made news by making an unprecedented move. How does that create more money or exposure? You act like his NIL deal is because he chose this school, no way that is actually the case. P5 schools are on TV every single week, this school is not. P5 schools have their merchandise sold all over the country, this school does not. Most CFB fans can tell you the backup players on the top teams, while most couldn't name a handful HBCU players ever.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
OK. He made news by making an unprecedented move. How does that create more money or exposure? You act like his NIL deal is because he chose this school, no way that is actually the case. P5 schools are on TV every single week, this school is not. P5 schools have their merchandise sold all over the country, this school does not. Most CFB fans can tell you the backup players on the top teams, while most couldn't name a handful HBCU players ever.
did you miss the part where he'll be the central figure in a documentary about his team that will garner millions of views?

that is more exposure, by a billion times, than wearing a helmet during a game on tv on Saturday when every team is playing.

Jackson State is playing for a national title this Saturday. They're fun to watch.

did you miss the part where he'll be the central figure in a documentary about his team that will garner millions of views?

that is more exposure, by a billion times, than wearing a helmet during a game on tv on Saturday when every team is playing.

The "online docuseries"?

yep. here's the link if you're interested.

very entertaining. every episode had at least 300k views last season. the finale currently has 2.7M views. those numbers will skyrocket this upcoming season with Hunter featured.

there isn't a single P5 school that could match this kind of exposure.
Your boy Deion got his ass kicked today, how'd you like that?

Have fun playing in front of 15,000 FCS fans. If you're that good go to a big name school and compete in front of 80 to 100k fans.
Heard somewhere that Jackson State gets more than 40K at home games. That's a decent crowd, but I bet their away games are a different story. But this is all about the money and him thinking that Deon will develop him better than FSU would.

No real guarantee in getting paid for NIL bids. Good to see 48k show up for a Jackson State game. But you need national exposure to produce big bucks and I just don’t see Jackson having a national large following. Not only does sanders need to make his team better but he needs to make the opponents better too.

Lane said it best with this kid, hope he gets all the money he was offered. Really can see him
In the portal in 2 years when he realizes no one cares about him and jax state

Tried Even watching them a little yesterday on ABC, really obvious a drop in talent and boring

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT