Team Sacks - T8th

Total offense - 58th

Raiola
Completion Percentage - 14th (73%)
Passing Efficiency - 50th (153.1)

Of note
Kyle McCord leads the NCAA in TDs with 8 and is 3rd in yards
Shader Sanders is 5th in passing yards
Thought we’d be ranked lower in both total and rushing D. A bit surprised there.

Yeah, stats really don’t matter until we get 5-6 games in.

I like what I see with my eyeballs though
Oh I get that. This early in the season everything‘s pretty much meaningless stats wise..with the 2 performances the D have had, I honestly thought they’d be higher as all.

I’m a fan of seeing McCord balling out. Makes OSU look bad and confirms our staff is targeting the right guys in the portal.
That's why I said we needed to get him here. Raiola's probably ahead of where I thought he'd be at this point, but still a huge difference between a senior and a true freshman and how they see the game. Plus I think we only get 3 years of Raiola before he heads for the draft. Would have rather seen those 3 years start as a redshirt freshman rather than a true freshman.

That's why I said we needed to get him here. Raiola's probably ahead of where I thought he'd be at this point, but still a huge difference between a senior and a true freshman and how they see the game. Plus I think we only get 3 years of Raiola before he heads for the draft. Would have rather seen those 3 years start as a redshirt freshman rather than a true freshman.
McCord wasn’t going to come unless he was promised the starting QB job. He left OSU solely for that reason, and he wasn’t going to accept anything less from a lesser team.

Raiola wasn’t going to come unless the starting QB job is open for competition. As the best QB in his high school class, he doesn’t have to commit to someplace telling him he will definitely not play as a freshman.

You can’t keep both promises. Getting both was never an option, no matter how much you wanted it.

McCord wasn’t going to come unless he was promised the starting QB job. He left OSU solely for that reason, and he wasn’t going to accept anything less from a lesser team.

Raiola wasn’t going to come unless the starting QB job is open for competition. As the best QB in his high school class, he doesn’t have to commit to someplace telling him he will definitely not play as a freshman.

You can’t keep both promises. Getting both was never an option, no matter how much you wanted it.
You don't have to actually keep your promises. You just have to get him here. You think SEC schools are keeping all the promises they made to 17 year old HS kids? **** no, but they keep committing based on those promises. It's how the game is played.

Dylan was promised the job here

And I’m very glad he was

Raiola wouldn’t have come here to redshirt. No way.

You don't have to actually keep your promises. You just have to get him here. You think SEC schools are keeping all the promises they made to 17 year old HS kids? **** no, but they keep committing based on those promises. It's how the game is played.
You keep going back to this. Do you lack the same integrity you want our coaches to sacrifice as well?

With the starting QB job and exposed for clearly premeditated lying? One or both transfers immediately. They can do that.

Both was never an option, no matter how slimy you are.

With the starting QB job and exposed for clearly premeditated lying? One or both transfers immediately. They can do that.

Both was never an option, no matter how slimy you are.
Why do you act like this is a rare occurrence? This is the status quo for big time programs. They make and break promises all the time. In fact, it's much more rare that a big time program will keep their promises rather than break them when it suits them. And the ones who do it best are the ones that win. Playing it safe is never going to allow us to compete with elite programs who do play the game.

You keep going back to this. Do you lack the same integrity you want our coaches to sacrifice as well?
If it were up to me, I wish all promises could be banned as making promises always leads to a hit to integrity. But that's obviously not how it works and promises and broken promises are just a necessary part of building an elite roster.

My opinion is that it makes more sense to go with the younger player, for no other reason, then he will be more in alignment with the direction and progression of the program. Coming off a 5-7 season, not many people were looking for Nebraska to win 9, 10 or 11 games. Giving the job to a 1 and done would have meant you lose Raiola, he could have transferred in May after the spring game, with expectations of 6 or 7 wins.

Breaking a promise that the job would be open leaves you with Haarberg and Kaelin, as the only options to play in 2025. The younger player will learn on the job, and potentially win 7 games, setting up the next 2-3 years, when the odds of having a 9, 10 11 win team is much better as Rhule builds the program.

My opinion is that it makes more sense to go with the younger player, for no other reason, then he will be more in alignment with the direction and progression of the program. Coming off a 5-7 season, not many people were looking for Nebraska to win 9, 10 or 11 games. Giving the job to a 1 and done would have meant you lose Raiola, he could have transferred in May after the spring game, with expectations of 6 or 7 wins.

Breaking a promise that the job would be open leaves you with Haarberg and Kaelin, as the only options to play in 2025. The younger player will learn on the job, and potentially win 7 games, setting up the next 2-3 years, when the odds of having a 9, 10 11 win team is much better as Rhule builds the program.
That sounds okay except for the fact that progression doesn't happen linearly. Especially in college football where a guy can play 4 years and then graduates. I believe we already have our championship window on defense this year. This is a top 10 defense. But that window likely closes after this year. We have Singleton, Gifford, Robinson, Hill, and Hutmacher anchoring this defense, and they are all studs, but they are all seniors who will be graduating. I was the first one to say we need to be thinking of making a playoff run this year, and with the win over Colorado and how our defense looks, that sentiment is growing. With my vision, I always know what the hell I'm talking about and saw the potential this defense had. Which is exactly why I was hoping we would have pushed harder to land a few more transfer studs on offense during the off-season, which didn't happen. Again if we would have got McCord, we likely would have landed the stud receiver from Ohio State as well. With a senior quarterback and multiple stud receivers, along with our defense, we would have definitely been in playoff contention this year. I saw all of this immediately, which is why I pushed so strongly for it to happen. Just wish we would have pushed harder to make the offensive championship window match up with our defense.

Why do you act like this is a rare occurrence? This is the status quo for big time programs. They make and break promises all the time. In fact, it's much more rare that a big time program will keep their promises rather than break them when it suits them. And the ones who do it best are the ones that win. Playing it safe is never going to allow us to compete with elite programs who do play the game.
Good god, if you've seen any highlights of the past 3 years, you take Riaola all day. Don't give any reason for him to question leaving. McCords a chump compared to Riaola.

Reactions: BleedRed78
That sounds okay except for the fact that progression doesn't happen linearly. Especially in college football where a guy can play 4 years and then graduates. I believe we already have our championship window on defense this year. This is a top 10 defense. But that window likely closes after this year. We have Singleton, Gifford, Robinson, Hill, and Hutmacher anchoring this defense, and they are all studs, but they are all seniors who will be graduating. I was the first one to say we need to be thinking of making a playoff run this year, and with the win over Colorado and how our defense looks, that sentiment is growing. With my vision, I always know what the hell I'm talking about and saw the potential this defense had. Which is exactly why I was hoping we would have pushed harder to land a few more transfer studs on offense during the off-season, which didn't happen. Again if we would have got McCord, we likely would have landed the stud receiver from Ohio State as well. With a senior quarterback and multiple stud receivers, along with our defense, we would have definitely been in playoff contention this year. I saw all of this immediately, which is why I pushed so strongly for it to happen. Just wish we would have pushed harder to make the offensive championship window match up with our defense.
players graduate every year. There are players that will step into the roles that Hill, Singleton, Gifford, Robinson and Hutmacher. It isn't like Nebraska is going to be replacing a bunch of 1st round picks after this season. The 2022 defense wasn't very good, and with mostly the same players in 2023 they were vastly improved. Now you have a culture in place and recruits coming in to play in this system, there are multiple 1st and 2nd year players on the 2 deep. 19 of the 26 defensive players on the depth chart, for the Colorado game, can return in 2025. I don't think the window is closing at all.

As far as your linear progression of the program, I disagree. This program is on the way up, 2024 isn't going to be the pinnacle by any stretch.

players graduate every year. There are players that will step into the roles that Hill, Singleton, Gifford, Robinson and Hutmacher. It isn't like Nebraska is going to be replacing a bunch of 1st round picks after this season. The 2022 defense wasn't very good, and with mostly the same players in 2023 they were vastly improved. Now you have a culture in place and recruits coming in to play in this system, there are multiple 1st and 2nd year players on the 2 deep. 19 of the 26 defensive players on the depth chart, for the Colorado game, can return in 2025. I don't think the window is closing at all.

As far as your linear progression of the program, I disagree. This program is on the way up, 2024 isn't going to be the pinnacle by any stretc
None of the players I listed are directly replaceable. They're all pro level talents, and unless we land a bunch of studs from the transfer portal, we're not directly replacing their roles next year. That's not to say other positions won't develop, but it will be difficult to replace the production of any one of those guys individually, let alone as a group.

None of the players I listed are directly replaceable. They're all pro level talents, and unless we land a bunch of studs from the transfer portal, we're not directly replacing their roles next year. That's not to say other positions won't develop, but it will be difficult to replace the production of any one of those guys individually, let alone as a group.

A Couple of things:

1. I don't know why we are even thinking about next season. This team is good in the here and now.

2. Don't gloss over the fact that we are still only in year 2 under Rhule and players are sticking around.

3. Nebraska is also playing a ton of young guys. I can remember a game log back at Purdue, under Mike Riley. Nebraska only played 15 guys on defense in a loss. They played 26 different guys vs CU, and more than 40 vs UTEP.

This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board. So you want to purposely lie to DR, sit him, and then you think he would stick around anyway? What would you gain? You think the best qb recruit in years is going to tolerate that? And now every team in the country is going to use that against you.

This board never ceases to amaze me.

Weren't you the guy who wasn't that excited about DR in the first place?

You seem to forget that not one of those players you listed had done anything prior to Tony White and Rhule getting here. So claiming players that were average at best in 2022 are now irreplaceable 2 games into 2024 is laughable. Look at the transformation the offense has completed compared to the 2023 base. Now look at the 2024 defense base and tell me we can't be good on defense in 2025. 2 or 3 key portal additions along with developing the young guys is not that unlikely.

If it were up to me, I wish all promises could be banned as making promises always leads to a hit to integrity. But that's obviously not how it works and promises and broken promises are just a necessary part of building an elite roster.
Maybe we should use integrity to be our competitive advantage in recruiting. Like telling kids they can earn their spot on the field if they are good enough and it won’t matter that they are only a freshman. And then we can point to DR and Barney and back it up. It’s a wild concept, but you don’t have to be slimy and dishonest to win.

This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board. So you want to purposely lie to DR, sit him, and then you think he would stick around anyway? What would you gain? You think the best qb recruit in years is going to tolerate that? And now every team in the country is going to use that against you.

This board never ceases to amaze me.
It wouldn't be a lie. McCord is the better qb at this point and would have won the starting job fair and square, just as Raiola said he wanted.

You seem to forget that not one of those players you listed had done anything prior to Tony White and Rhule getting here. So claiming players that were average at best in 2022 are now irreplaceable 2 games into 2024 is laughable. Look at the transformation the offense has completed compared to the 2023 base. Now look at the 2024 defense base and tell me we can't be good on defense in 2025. 2 or 3 key portal additions along with developing the young guys is not that unlikely.
Also not true, Nash was already emerging, Ty always had the talent, just not the right mindset. Gifford, Hill, and Singleton always had pro level talent. Never said we couldn't be a good defense next year, but I think we undoubtedly take a step back unless we pull studs out of the transfer portal to replace the guys I just mentioned.

Also not true, Nash was already emerging, Ty always had the talent, just not the right mindset. Gifford, Hill, and Singleton always had pro level talent. Never said we couldn't be a good defense next year, but I think we undoubtedly take a step back unless we pull studs out of the transfer portal to replace the guys I just mentioned.
Ty's mindset wasn't the problem

it was his body composition

It wouldn't be a lie. McCord is the better qb at this point and would have won the starting job fair and square, just as Raiola said he wanted.
That is too subjective. You have no idea who would have won the job. They currently play in totally different offenses.

Raiola ceiling is way higher as a true freshman than McCord as a 6th year senior.

You do that when you are a team that hasn't done anything in a while and you will get a reputation. Word spreads fast with recruits and Nebraska doesn't have a lot to back up their recruiting YET but their word.

If memory serves correctly he was disappointed we didn’t get both and that Coach Rhule should have promised them both the starting position to keep them.
Just promise what both players wanted. McCord wanted the starting position and Raiola wanted a chance at the starting position. Would have been easy enough to keep both of those promises.

Maybe we should use integrity to be our competitive advantage in recruiting. Like telling kids they can earn their spot on the field if they are good enough and it won’t matter that they are only a freshman. And then we can point to DR and Barney and back it up. It’s a wild concept, but you don’t have to be slimy and dishonest to win.
That obviously didn't work, did it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT