ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska Respectable #7 Ranking

There's really not much difference in day-to-day life between Iowa and Eastern Nebraska. Not sure I'd rank them #1 in infrastructure, though.

There's really not much difference in day-to-day life between Iowa and Eastern Nebraska. Not sure I'd rank them #1 in infrastructure, though.
While we may hate their athletics, Iowa has some very quaint little communities as well as some first class metropolitan areas....plus, it's that much closer to Chicago which is a plus

Reactions: davecisar
And what are they basing this off? I've lived in several states and three continents and California to me offers the best quality of life. I was in La Jolla though where it really doesn't get much better than that.
Yes it is ... San Diego is the best of California and La Jolla the best of San Diego.
I've lived in the SF/Bay Area now for 22 years and we are planning our escape ... so many changes, so fast ...

Yes it is ... San Diego is the best of California and La Jolla the best of San Diego.
I've lived in the SF/Bay Area now for 22 years and we are planning our escape ... so many changes, so fast ...

I love the bay area but it was way too expensive for me to live there long term. I miss the bay area every day but don't miss the financial stress.

And what are they basing this off? I've lived in several states and three continents and California to me offers the best quality of life. I was in La Jolla though where it really doesn't get much better than that.

"Quality of Life" seems to be based on things like pollution and voter turnout. So I wouldn't read too much into this unless those are important factors in your life.

Last edited:
Reactions: artguy68
While we may hate their athletics, Iowa has some very quaint little communities as well as some first class metropolitan areas....plus, it's that much closer to Chicago which is a plus

If you think Des Moines is a first class metro area, you really need to get out more. Whenever I stayed there for work, I couldn't wait to get the hell out of the town.

Before you chime in about West Des Moines, Iowa fans, good shopping and high end chain restaurants don't do anything for me. But great live entertainment and national acts coming through your city on a regular basis do. That's one reason why Des Moines sucks. They don't have a decent live music venue that brings in great shows regularly. Omaha has at least two in The Waiting Room and Slowdown.

What "first class metropolitan areas" would those be? I've been all over Iowa and have never found anything of the sort.

If you think Des Moines is a first class metro area, you really need to get out more. Whenever I stayed there for work, I couldn't wait to get the hell out of the town.

Before you chime in about West Des Moines, Iowa fans, good shopping and high end chain restaurants don't do anything for me. But great live entertainment and national acts coming through your city on a regular basis do. That's one reason why Des Moines sucks. They don't have a decent live music venue that brings in great shows regularly. Omaha has at least two in The Waiting Room and Slowdown.

What "first class metropolitan areas" would those be? I've been all over Iowa and have never found anything of the sort.
#9 US City to live
https://realestate.usnews.com/places/iowa/des-moines

#1 best city for young professionals
https://www.forbes.com/pictures/emeg45lfld/1-des-moines-iowa/

#5 Best City for business and career
https://www.google.com/amp/whotv.com/2017/10/27/des-moines-gets-5-ranking-on-forbes-list/amp/

Let's see. California:

Bankrupt.
Extremely expensive to live there.
Businesses bailing.
High unemployment rates.
Wildfires.
Just a matter of time before a major earthquake.
Full of really weird people.

I'm sure I missed few things.

Let's see. California:

Bankrupt.
Extremely expensive to live there.
Businesses bailing.
High unemployment rates.
Wildfires.
Just a matter of time before a major earthquake.
Full of really weird people.

I'm sure I missed few things.
LOL, says the guy who lives in Dallas...

Where is "Great place to raise a family?" That would complete the triumvirate of Boringsville, USA, with nothing to do but shop and eat at chain restaurants.

There are more high end jobs in DM than Omaha. They are primarily related to insurance and financial industry. Yes it is good for young professionals. I've lived and worked in Omaha and Des Moines area. Des Moines does a better job cleaning up the blighted areas than omaha

As an adult- Ive lived in:
And worked for a Company in #32- spent at least 100-120 days there in last 30 years

To say you "know" a state sucks because youve visited a city in that state a couple of times is laughable> Visiting a state and living or knowing a state are 2 different things

Every person has different needs and every state offers something a bit different. I had the pleasure of working pretty much the entire states of Iowa, Nebraska. Texas, Oklahoma, LA, Arkansas, Mississipi for a number of years traveling probably 700,000 miles in those states- meeting and working with lots of great people. When I lived in Florida, Colorado and Washington- I explored them in depth.

Each have their pluses and minuses and Iowa as much as some of their fans annoy us- has some great people and beautiful hidden gems- especially in the NE corner of their state.

LOL, says the guy who lives in Dallas...
Ive lived in Dallas
Dallas isnt bankrupt
Pretty cheap to live there- part of why its growing so fast
Business is thriving
Unemployment is very low
Wildfires- not so much

Not a fan of the traffic there and it gets colder in the winter there than most think- but lots of people love the metro area- suburbs

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Interesting criteria they are using. Don't see a lot of those top 10 on a top 10 list normally :)

A lot more interesting than

"This is what MY personal tastes are, anything that doesn't meet them sucks"

I'm no globetrotter but have lived in 9 different states and around 28 different towns / cities.

My basic conclusion:

Every place / state / town / city I have ever lived had things about it that sucked the big one.

Too big. Too small. Weather sucks (anywhere you live in the US someone will eventually walk up to you and say "don't like the weather here in ___________? Wait 15 minutes. guffaw). Traffic sucks. Taxes too high. Housing and rent too high. Schools suck. Not enough jobs. Not enough good jobs. Roads suck. Garbage collection sucks. Too homogeneous. Too much gang activity. No entertainment. Too many people from somewhere else. Not enough people from somewhere else. Not close to the airport. Too much air traffic noise. Too many rednecks. No hunting around.

And every place I have ever lived had things about it that were great. Couldn't be happier with the area I live in now even though many people that were born and raised here think it sucks.

States like California and Texas are impossibly hard to gather into a single group. Just in the Austin area there are homeless camps occupied by people who steal unattended stuff from yards to pawn for meth, and hill country mansions with lake views only a short distance from the Ferrari or Austin Martin dealerships. The quality of education, health care, and opportunity vary greatly depending on which side of I-35 you live. That's just one metro area of many across a very big state.

Overall Best States Ranking

California dead last in quality of life
I find their criteria for quality of life confusing and weird: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/quality-of-life

It seems to be some bizarre mix of pollution, water quality and abstract sociopolitical measures.

You'd think economy would factor heavily into quality of life, but economy is its own category, where CA ranks #4.

Really you'd think all the other categories would add up to some overall quality of life score.

Interesting criteria they are using. Don't see a lot of those top 10 on a top 10 list normally :)

A lot more interesting than

"This is what MY personal tastes are, anything that doesn't meet them sucks"

I'm no globetrotter but have lived in 9 different states and around 28 different towns / cities.

My basic conclusion:

Every place / state / town / city I have ever lived had things about it that sucked the big one.

Too big. Too small. Weather sucks (anywhere you live in the US someone will eventually walk up to you and say "don't like the weather here in ___________? Wait 15 minutes. guffaw). Traffic sucks. Taxes too high. Housing and rent too high. Schools suck. Not enough jobs. Not enough good jobs. Roads suck. Garbage collection sucks. Too homogeneous. Too much gang activity. No entertainment. Too many people from somewhere else. Not enough people from somewhere else. Not close to the airport. Too much air traffic noise. Too many rednecks. No hunting around.

And every place I have ever lived had things about it that were great. Couldn't be happier with the area I live in now even though many people that were born and raised here think it sucks.
I live in this super boring suburban neighborhood, winding streets, cul de sacs, the whole bit. Great neighborhood, nothing exciting or scandalous ever happens.

The shit people find to rile themselves up about never ceases to amaze me. I'm in a facebook group for the neighborhood and people will frequently post and be like, "There was a car parked by my house, I called the police to investigate. Be on the lookout!"

God forbid somebody sees a coyote, let alone two or three coyotes, they lose their goddamned minds like the coyotes are gonna pick your locks and come upstairs to rip your throat out.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
I live in this super boring suburban neighborhood, winding streets, cul de sacs, the whole bit. Great neighborhood, nothing exciting or scandalous ever happens.

The shit people find to rile themselves up about never ceases to amaze me. I'm in a facebook group for the neighborhood and people will frequently post and be like, "There was a car parked by my house, I called the police to investigate. Be on the lookout!"

God forbid somebody sees a coyote, let alone two or three coyotes, they lose their goddamned minds like the coyotes are gonna pick your locks and come upstairs to rip your throat out.
Interested in why you live in the suburbs of Chicago and not in the metro of Chicago?

People generally vote with their feet. States with populations increasing would seem to have the best quality of life in my estimation.

and, Go Cats !!

Same here. I regret daily joining the FB group in my neighborhood. It's mostly yoga-pantsed stay-at-home moms with nothing to do. There is a crisis every five seconds. Or they post dumb-question-bragging stuff like: "We're spending the summer at a chateau in France, does anybody know if you can wash cotton socks in Europe?"

There are more high end jobs in DM than Omaha. They are primarily related to insurance and financial industry. Yes it is good for young professionals. I've lived and worked in Omaha and Des Moines area. Des Moines does a better job cleaning up the blighted areas than omaha

No, we just keep those areas in North Omaha. Along with our gang members.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT